Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I never realised CK2 had a Cthulu event. :cthulhu:

Here's some screenshots!

GODSLAYER :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I know it doesn't necessarily make sense to have it starting out, but can you add the ability to at least form the Byzantine Empire to After the End?

Why? What would it add? There are no Greeks in this timeline. What would the capital be? Alternatively, why not just customize some empire title for it? Does the flag mean that much to you?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

WilliamAnderson posted:

There are no Greeks in this timeline.

Why aren't there any Greeks in the Central Valley of California?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How do I even get after the end to work? What version are you guys running

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
One word - L.A. Armenians

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

WilliamAnderson posted:

Why? What would it add? There are no Greeks in this timeline. What would the capital be? Alternatively, why not just customize some empire title for it? Does the flag mean that much to you?

He might be joking.
e: also I just discovered you can make a normal game into ironman. This seems to be a useful thing to do for people who aren't quite ready for normal Ironman games, or want to play out a weird scenario.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I seem to remember in a patch they expanded the religious heads of some of the Islamic heresies. Can Yazidi Sheiks call Jihads now?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

verbal enema posted:

How do I even get after the end to work? What version are you guys running

I just downloaded the master zip file from their github and then extracted it into my mod directory, which was something like C:\Users\<my user>\My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod. This is the bleeding edge, most updated version but may have all kinds of work-in-progress weirdness/bugs. The most recent actual release is 0.5. Reddit Paradox Forums

I have put way more time into After the End than I have vanilla. It's a really good mod.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

WilliamAnderson posted:

Well, you could have a bunch of people who believe Ceasars Palace in Vegas was once part of a great empire! Several! All in one place! Now we can revive the Egyptian empire, the Roman Empire, and the Hilton Empire! :v:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Having a technical problem. In my ironman game after every few saves the game totally locks up. Have to power down the computer to get out of it. That's never happened before. And I think there's some odd things happening in the game like retinue units are being headed by some random named people and they've popped up in places I'm pretty sure I didn't leave them.

Searching around the net for a solution hasn't been terribly productive. Usually when people talk about corrupted saves they're on about getting the wrong character or they think its a memory problem but in my case there's usually plenty left for the game. I dunno. Seems like a shame to lose a lot of progress but I can always just sam the cheevos and go back to normal games I guess.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

On that note, why no Eastern European/Russian courtiers in the NYC area?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If my achievements stopped working a long time ago, is there any way to make them work again without reinstalling?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I know it doesn't necessarily make sense to have it starting out, but can you add the ability to at least form the Byzantine Empire to After the End?

I'd actually rather like Americanists to have the option to Restore the United States in the same way the Byzantines can restore rome in vanilla, possibly by controling all of the original thirteen colonies.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anyone else reading these patch notes?

About a billion different things in here so just a few things that caught my eye:

quote:

- Revised the pagan Subjugation CB so that it completely subjugates the target but no Holdings change hands

- Flank leaders are now entirely separated from subunit leadership.
- Subunits are affected by the combat modifier of both subunit commanders and the flank leader.

- Women can now gain the Crusader trait under the same circumstances that men do.

- Reworked create Hungary decision to spawn a set amount of troops and to set your government to feudal.

- You'll no longer try to talk to your dead children when you have the family focus.
- Fixed that bedtime stories can no longer be told to dead children
- Your sparring partner no longer wields a limb-creating healing stick when he accidentally hits you.
- You can no longer arrange a ball in the dungeons.

- The ai no longer tries to straighten up dynasty members when there's a player in the dynasty that has the opportunity to take the decision.

- The strategist trait now has a combat modifier for 20% defence.
- The hunter trait now has a combat modifier for 20% bonus during pursue phase.
- The administrator trait now has a combat modifier for 10% movement speed.
- The architect trait now has a combat modifier for 20% bonus to sieges.
- The game master trait now has a combat modifier for 30% bonus to narrow flanks.

- The Yazidi Sheikh and Hurufi Caliph now have access to the Muslim subjugation CB and the Jihad CB.

- Discovering two vassals of the same sex engaging in carnal activities during pagan feasts no longer let's the liege join in on the fun.

- Character Finder: The 'Married' filter now excludes concubines too
- Character Finder: Councillors now correctly show up too!

- Blocked impregnation by female lovers or modded female 'husbands'

- Fixed serious bug with event target 'FROM', preventing, among other things, the claim fabrication job

- Anglo-Saxons are now also allowed to create the Kingdom of Saxony

- The 'intermarry' field in religions can now take religion group as well as a specific religion
- Zun pagans can now properly intermarry with the Zoroastrian and Indian religion groups

- Landless AI religious heads are not prevented from starting crusades anymore.

- Wrong government type tax/levy/garrison modifiers are now applied multiplicatively just before calculating the final tax/levy/garrison values instead of adding them to other modifiers.

- Can now call friends to war
- Can no longer use mercenaries against rulers that are their friends
- Can no longer use mercenaries who are rivals against you

- Can now build tribal lands in empty provinces which has no tribal land

- AI will now properly raid coastal provinces when not having the religion flag allow_viking_invasion.
- Added flag seafarer in culture and religion files, helping the AI to determine if coastal provinces is preferred when raiding.

- It is now possible to switch county capitals if you hold both the current county capital and the barony you wish to become the new capital.
- Tribals can now also adopt feudalism and become a merchant republic if their capital is a castle (for becoming feudal) or a city (for becoming a merchant republic).

- Rebalanced troop stats:
- Light Infantry - Skirmish Attack reduced to 1 (down from 2).
- Light Infantry - Skirmish Defense reduced to 2 (down from 2.5).
- Light Infantry - Melee Attack reduced to 1 (down from 3).
- Light Infantry - Pursue Attack reduced to 2 (down from 3).
- Light Infantry - Pursue Defense reduced to 2 (down from 3).
- Heavy infantry - Skirmish Defense increased to 4 (up from 3).
- Light Cavalry - Skirmish Attack reduced to 2 (down from 2.5).
- Archer - Maintenance increased to 2 (up from 1).
- Archer - Skirmish Attack reduced to 2 (down from 5).
- Archer - Skirmish Defense reduced to 1 (down from 3).
- Horse Archer - Skirmish Defense reduced to 2 (down from 4).
- Horse Archer - Melee Attack reduced to 1 (down from 3).
- Horse Archer - Melee Defense reduced to 2 (down from 4).​

- Spanish March: Duchy of Barcelona is now de jure Aquitaine in 867 instead of Duchy of Aragon.

- AI Mongol Horde will now properly avoid fighting other Mongol Hordes while they still have their special invasion forces.

That last bit about the unit stats especially; archers/assaults just got the poo poo nerfed out of them.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 8, 2015

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Wales is never allowed nice things. :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The combat changes are notable--the long-awaited major nerf to archers has finally come. Also you'll notice that the already nigh-useless light infantry has been even further rendered harmless.

Edit: Archers skirmish being cut by 60% seems extreme. I'll be interested to see how that plays out. The higher maintenance and lower defense are definitely sensible changes, though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 8, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also you'll notice that the already nigh-useless light infantry has been even further rendered harmless.

Well, you're getting three or more of them for one of anything else.

...more meat for the grinder :unsmigghh:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

bgreman posted:

I just downloaded the master zip file from their github and then extracted it into my mod directory, which was something like C:\Users\<my user>\My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod. This is the bleeding edge, most updated version but may have all kinds of work-in-progress weirdness/bugs. The most recent actual release is 0.5. Reddit Paradox Forums

I have put way more time into After the End than I have vanilla. It's a really good mod.

Hm. I did this but ur always crashes to desktop when it finishes 'Flags' at the loading screen

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm more curious if the much vaunted performance fixes are as noticeable as groogy has suggested.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Fuligin posted:

I'm more curious if the much vaunted performance fixes are as noticeable as groogy has suggested.
He balanced it out by adding 1000 new Norse characters.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

- It is now possible to switch county capitals if you hold both the current county capital and the barony you wish to become the new capital.

This is really great.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Autonomous Monster posted:

That last bit about the unit stats especially; archers/assaults just got the poo poo nerfed out of them.

You missed the last bit.

quote:

- Siege assault battles now use the Melee combat values on the troops instead of the Skirmish combat values.

So siege preference now goes war elephants (25)>heavy cavalry (10)>heavy infantry (6)>pikemen (5). Assaults will probably be easier, as the highest value you could get previously was a 5 with archers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tulul posted:

You missed the last bit.

So siege preference now goes war elephants (25)>heavy cavalry (10)>heavy infantry (6)>pikemen (5). Assaults will probably be easier, as the highest value you could get previously was a 5 with archers.

Nah, they'll be harder if anything because you can't stock up heavy cavalry and heavy infantry nearly as much as you could archers. A 10:1 manpower advantage won't be enough now because it'll mostly be useless light infantry and now-useless archers. I haven't worked out the specific math but you're likely going to need more like 15:1 to assault without losing a third of your army.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
They mention it's now possible to gain the Strategist trait. Wasn't it possible already?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tulul posted:

You missed the last bit.

Huh. Horse Archers are basically useless here (in sieges that is) too now, what with a melee attack of 1.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They mention it's now possible to gain the Strategist trait. Wasn't it possible already?

I got it in the Sogdian test game I was doing from the War focus, so yeah, it's doable.

But yeah, wow. Are archers good for anything anymore? 2/1/2 for offensive stats, and now costing more as well, seems like they're now something you actively don't want, and horse archers are pretty much only good for when you've already won now too, though I guess skirmish attack of 4 means they're technically the best there. Melee attack of 1 means they're a liability after that, though.

Also jeez why on earth would they make light infantry even worse? They're already garbage.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The combat changes are notable--the long-awaited major nerf to archers has finally come. Also you'll notice that the already nigh-useless light infantry has been even further rendered harmless.

Edit: Archers skirmish being cut by 60% seems extreme. I'll be interested to see how that plays out. The higher maintenance and lower defense are definitely sensible changes, though.

And Africa weeps.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

But yeah, wow. Are archers good for anything anymore? 2/1/2 for offensive stats, and now costing more as well, seems like they're now something you actively don't want, and horse archers are pretty much only good for when you've already won now too, though I guess skirmish attack of 4 means they're technically the best there. Melee attack of 1 means they're a liability after that, though.

Also jeez why on earth would they make light infantry even worse? They're already garbage.

To nerf tribal in general, I guess.

Archers will still be more useful than light infantry in the skirmish phase but that's about it. They're not *quite* useless but they're pretty close. Now the game is going to be all about the heavy infantry and cavalry. Holy Orders and the higher-class mercs just got a big power-up. Great news for merchant republics.

The Massive Longbow Volley tactic will still be pretty awesome--I didn't see anything in the changelog about that being changed or removed--so if you're Welsh you'll still like your archers. Otherwise they look meh.

And as stated above it looks like assaults are going to be effectively impossible unless you already have overwhelming numbers and want to save yourself a month's siege. It used to be that if you're just throwing away mercs or if you're close to the end of the war and you have like 7000 dudes sieging a province defended by 1400 you could say "what the hell" and assault it instead of waiting out a seven month siege, but I think now even that will be impossible. We'll see how it plays.

Edit: If that's how it ends up that will make it even more insane trying to conquer anything in Scandinavia. Bringing mountains of archers and assaulting everything before the attrition ruins me used to be my tactic of choice there. Now we'll probably be forced to just divide our army up into 3500-man chunks and wait out sieges that may take a year to finish (and may be ruined by an unlucky string of "An outbreak of disease just wiped out a fifth of your troops!" events).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 9, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

- Landless AI religious heads are not prevented from starting crusades anymore.

:rip: sniping Rome as a Viking.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you play a high martial character and use him to lead your troops, administration is suddenly the best focus you can get because it's a mini-organizer trait.

The other battle changes are interesting. Nerfing archers was long overdue, though perhaps increasing their costs is a step too far. Horse archers main are now only really worth it for Altaic characters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

If you play a high martial character and use him to lead your troops, administration is suddenly the best focus you can get because it's a mini-organizer trait.

The other battle changes are interesting. Nerfing archers was long overdue, though perhaps increasing their costs is a step too far. Horse archers main are now only really worth it for Altaic characters.

Not really surprising they'd want to put more focus on horse archers just before horse lords comes out. It'll be interesting to see how much the archer nerf hurts in practice - one thing that has bugged me a lot is battles that are over before even making it to the melee phase because archers were so devastating. It just didn't really seem to make a lot of sense that the least deadly phase of the battle is when people would be breaking and running. On the other hand, archers should at least do SOMETHING, and while they're still better skirmishers than most other units, the gap is a lot smaller, and they still become useless outside the skirmish phase, so it raises the question of whether they've lost their niche entirely now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Are they fixing the thing where when you put someone in the oubliette it gives you the -10 diplomacy modifier instead of the prisoner?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that bothers me about the horse archer thing. I like playing in Persia, and they get a fair amount of horse archers too, but while they get the retinues and buildings they don't get the special tactic, so they're dependent entirely on them just being good units. As that is no longer the case, that makes their cultural retinues and such a lot less appealing unless you get your own crop of Altaic commanders from up north and keep their family line in your court the way some people get Welsh commanders in Europe for archer silliness.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Thinking about it more, this is mostly a retinue nerf. The most numerous troops type out of castles is pretty much always heavy infantry, except if you upgrade buildings in a very dumb way to screw yourself over deliberately, or if you have archers/light infantry as your cultural troops.

It's also an interesting rebalancing for cultural buildings. The Welsh and English longbow ranges were always fantastic, while I rated defensive heavy infantry and offensive heavy infantry as about equally good. But now that Melee phase strength determines assault outcomes, it's a definite difference between having Irish heavy infantry with 6 attack or Norse heavy infantry with nearly 10 attack. The same is true for retinues, housecarls will be better than gallowglasses.

Another thing to think about, Horse Lords could be a substantial buff to merchant republics. They will probably suffer the most from the combat changes and thus indirect retinue nerfs, but at the same time, they will likely get access to a lot more mercenary companies, if they are in range to hire all those sons of the various khans who have to prove their worth in the wider world by going mercenary with small hordes.

How will the pagan subjugation change work? Currently, if you use the CB on a character who has holdings outside the kingdom you are subjugating, you get his holdings in the kingdom and all vassals of that kingdom, while he retains his possessions outside the de jure kingdom. Does the change mean that you will subjugate his whole territory? That could be very powerful if used right.

Patch notes posted:

Failing to imprison vassals of vassals now correctly forces them to abdicate and flee the realm

How does this work now?

Patch notes posted:

Added a bunch of new straits (not for geographical reasons, but for gameplay reasons)

I wonder where those will be. Will this connect previously unreachable islands? Socotra? Gotland?

Patch notes posted:

Handsome and lustful men now also populate the cabins in the wild for the pleasures of people who find them attractive.

Yay!

Patch notes posted:

Discovering two vassals of the same sex engaging in carnal activities during pagan feasts no longer let's the liege join in on the fun.

Boo! Also, I've never seen such a thing, how does it work?

Patch notes posted:

Blocked invitations to court of concubines and married women

So it's no longer possible to get good councilors by inviting their willing wives? :(

Edit:

Patch notes posted:

Friends are now considered allies.

Finally, a use for making friends with some foreign pagans during the trade route event chain.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 9, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

How will the pagan subjugation change work? Currently, if you use the CB on a character who has holdings outside the kingdom you are subjugating, you get his holdings in the kingdom and all vassals of that kingdom, while he retains his possessions outside the de jure kingdom. Does the change mean that you will subjugate his whole territory? That could be very powerful if used right.

From what it sounds like, you'll just vassalize the subjugated lord rather than take his land, so you'd pretty much have to gain all his land unless it splits off the stuff that's not in your de jure kingdom under another lord somehow (I imagine they'll just bring everything with them into your realm though).

quote:

How does this work now?

Literally nothing happens because they can't declare war on you as you aren't their direct liege. So essentially you can just keep retrying forever until it succeeds.

quote:

Boo! Also, I've never seen such a thing, how does it work?

I think the option only comes up if you're lustful or have the hedonist trait or seduction focus or some combination of those.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I wonder where those will be. Will this connect previously unreachable islands? Socotra? Gotland?

I hope not, Socotra's unreachability is the only reason it survives for more than half a microsecond.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Started a game as a Cathar in India (Ruler Designer).

Pretty fun so far. A few questions:

- Before I declare on a Jain/Buddhist/Hindu ruler, I scout out their armies using the Realm View. If they're low, then I'll strike. But uh, sometimes(?) an extra 4-6k troops pop up, led by a "Grandmaster" -- do they have holy orders from 769 onwards?
- Do Cathars get any holy orders? Or only if I make mainline Catholicism into a heresy and thus take their holy orders?
- Has anyone encountered crashes after loading multiple times in a session? (I reloaded from auto-save a few times in a row while tackling some particularly challenging wars -- e.g. ones where I was surprised by an unexpected instantly-summoned holy order(?) on my enemy's side). It seems if I load a game 4 or 5 times, it'll CTD pretty regularly on the last load.
- Are Jain/Buddhist/Hindu harder to convert? Because my 15+ skill priests are not having much luck... I think out of the 15 counties I've amassed, I've only managed to make 8 or 9 Cathar. Though does Moral Authority influence conversion success?
- Anything else to know about playing a heresy in India? :p

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

verbal enema posted:

Hm. I did this but ur always crashes to desktop when it finishes 'Flags' at the loading screen

Do you happen to be on a Mac?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

alcaras posted:

- Before I declare on a Jain/Buddhist/Hindu ruler, I scout out their armies using the Realm View. If they're low, then I'll strike. But uh, sometimes(?) an extra 4-6k troops pop up, led by a "Grandmaster" -- do they have holy orders from 769 onwards?
- Do Cathars get any holy orders? Or only if I make mainline Catholicism into a heresy and thus take their holy orders?
- Has anyone encountered crashes after loading multiple times in a session? (I reloaded from auto-save a few times in a row while tackling some particularly challenging wars -- e.g. ones where I was surprised by an unexpected instantly-summoned holy order(?) on my enemy's side). It seems if I load a game 4 or 5 times, it'll CTD pretty regularly on the last load.
- Are Jain/Buddhist/Hindu harder to convert? Because my 15+ skill priests are not having much luck... I think out of the 15 counties I've amassed, I've only managed to make 8 or 9 Cathar. Though does Moral Authority influence conversion success?

The Indian religions always have holy orders.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

alcaras posted:

-Yes, Indian religions always have holy orders. I think you need a certain amount of piety (100?) to hire them even on defense, so pick on the least pious neighbouring ruler, or mark the Grandmasters of the Chosen of Ashoka/Followers of Arjuna/Bulls of Rishaba (find them using title search) as special interest so you can quickly check if they've already been hired before you declare war.

-Cathars (heresies in general, really) don't get holy orders without supplanting their mainline religion.

-I pretty much always CTD on the second or third loaded game in a session unless I haven't played the loaded game for very long before resigning. This is a bug that is supposedly fixed in 2.4 but we'll see!

-Moral Authority does influence conversion chances significantly, which is probably why you've had a rough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alcaras posted:

As Mr. Morgenstern said, the three Indian religions have their holy orders unlocked from the start.

Cathars only get the Catholic holy orders if they become the dominant sect.

I haven't encountered such a CTD.

I don't think that the Indian religions are harder to convert, but I'm not 100% sure. But religious authority does massively influence conversion chances. It takes 8 times as long to convert provinces if your religion's moral authority is at 0-20%, compared to having 40-60% MA. It only takes about half as much time (56% to be exact) to convert provinces if you have 80-100% MA, compared to the 40-60% MA baseline.

If by heresy you mean Catharism, then it's actually not at all different from any other religion that's not native to the region. You have to depend on others to conquer the holy sites of your sect, and that's probably rather unlikely for Catharism, so you will nearly always suffer from very low moral authority. You most likely won't get any holy orders, and since your sect of Christianity can't get a religious head, you won't get crusades either.

• Locked thread