Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

The thing about prominent white dudes is that they are never under any real danger from GamerGate.

Exactly my point. They can safely draw the attention of the angry mob. Better wealthy people who can afford safety nets get targeted, if only for a while, than someone that's barely making rent and affording food.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Exactly my point. They can safely draw the attention of the angry mob. Better wealthy people who can afford safety nets get targeted, if only for a while, than someone that's barely making rent and affording food.

I am more than fine with making GBS threads on the likes of Ben Kuchera 24/7

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I don't think you can really solve the problem by "drawing fire" - the trolls always go back to their favourite playthings.

I rather think the whole mess is the fault of Twitter's poor harassment policies. When trolls were limited to their own communities, they didn't do all that much. But Twitter blends normal people and trolls into one big angry lump, while being so useful that no-one with a public face can really give it up.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I don't think you can really solve the problem by "drawing fire" - the trolls always go back to their favourite playthings.

It's obviously not a solution to anything - a lot of work needs to be done, obviously - but it can sometimes help in the short term. Twitter has made some small steps to combating harassment, but it desperately needs some kind of public verification system so that bans can't be so easily avoided. Make it open to anyone to sign up, but perhaps add a filter so that you can only be followed by or seen by verified accounts?

Gamergate spokesman/developer (well, his game is clearly barely out of alpha phase and is a mess, but that's beyond the point) Slade 'Roguestar' Villena actually counted his Twitter bans on his avatar pic. Last I checked, he was up to over 20 bans for harassment. The mission statement on his site, of course, claims that he would never do such a thing and that Twitter are just banning him time and time again because they've fallen in with the censorious SJW crowd.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 8, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

When trolls were limited to their own communities, they didn't do all that much.

The rules against forum invasions here predate Twitter.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Didn't Zoe Quinn say she used to post in/enjoy Helldump? What was that place if not a forum for harassing and stalking people with the least amount of money and power?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Didn't Zoe Quinn say she used to post in/enjoy Helldump? What was that place if not a forum for harassing and stalking people with the least amount of money and power?

They deserved it, duh! :downs:

Serf
May 5, 2011

She made a joke about it once, apparently. But as far as I know no one has ever found any evidence that she actually posted in Helldump. She says she mostly posted in Pokemon threads which, let's be honest, is far more damning to her character.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Why is this relevant?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Serf posted:

She made a joke about it once, apparently. But as far as I know no one has ever found any evidence that she actually posted in Helldump. She says she mostly posted in Pokemon threads which, let's be honest, is far more damning to her character.

She mentioned missing Helldump on Twitter a couple of times. Not sure what the joke was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

She mentioned missing Helldump on Twitter a couple of times. Not sure what the joke was.

Similar to the "bring back LF" posts here.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

You ought to get this over to the Sarkeesian Effect guys ASAP, this could blow this entire case wide open!

Serf
May 5, 2011

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Oh, someone asked about a gap in her resume, and she responded with "crippling Helldump addiction." The other time I've seen it was when she explained that it was in fact sarcasm.

Tezzor posted:

Why is this relevant?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Serf posted:

Oh, someone asked about a gap in her resume, and she responded with "crippling Helldump addiction." The other time I've seen it was when she explained that it was in fact sarcasm.

Edit: Someone mentioned the Pokemon thing. But yeah, she'd joked about Helldump before, but even the slightest glance at her SA history reveals that she isn't the doxxing criminal mastermind that 4chan makes her out to be. But it's a nice rumor for them to circulate to keep up the cloud of bullshit, along with the story that she stabbed a transgender person in a bar for being deceptive (even seen a couple of goons try to run with this), and the story where Quinn got away with murdering a guy.

No evidence for any of the above, of course.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 9, 2015

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

It's relevant because people were waxing poetic about the tragedy of a powerless person being stalked online when that person delighted in others being harassed for being weird or ugly.

On a related note, I made a bet with myself that Goatstein would show up instantly after I mentioned Helldump, and was not disappointed.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's a ton of weird things like this that get passed around as a rumour, one person posts it somewhere, another person cites that as proof, and it's suddenly 'common knowledge'

The most prolific one I remember is that Zoe Quinn's current boyfriend is the son of an arms dealer. Turns out this isn't actually true, her boyfriend is a rich trust-fund type but his father runs a hotel.

Another one that I have no idea the genesis of is that Anthony Burch forced his wife into an open relationship in an attempt to "troll for pussy" himself. As far as I understand it, Anthony Burch is enough of a trainwreck on his own terms to not have to invent stupid stuff about him to make it even worse. The only citation I can find that he "forced" his wife into an open relationship was a post on an anime-avatar Tumblr claiming that "there are rumours that the open relationship wasn't her idea" or something along those lines.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Ddraig posted:

The most prolific one I remember is that Zoe Quinn's current boyfriend is the son of an arms dealer. Turns out this isn't actually true, her boyfriend is a rich trust-fund type but his father runs a hotel.

His company manages hotels and arms transactions between Brazil and Israel. Diversification isn't exactly uncommon.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was helldump a good thing or a bad thing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

It's relevant because people were waxing poetic about the tragedy of a powerless person being stalked online when that person delighted in others being harassed for being weird or ugly.

Helldump never published someone's personal information on twitter and encouraged others to send death threats to goon's parents. I think you're looking too hard to find reasons to hate Zoe Quinn.

"This person read threads in a forum devoted to digging up people's embarassing posts on Something Awful, they're a hypocrite for saying that it's wrong to mail poo poo in a box to their house!" If I dig up one post you ever made in Helldump, would it be hypocritical for you to complain if I came to your house and keyed your car?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 9, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Wemus posted:

Was helldump a good thing or a bad thing

It depends which hashtag you're carrying a banner for.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tezzor posted:

Why is this relevant?

one reaps what one sows

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ddraig posted:

The most prolific one I remember is that Zoe Quinn's current boyfriend is the son of an arms dealer.

The rumor was that he WAS an arms dealer, not just the son of one. And yeah, he's a low-level game developer. The Mobygames page isn't complete - he's done some bigger projects along the way - but yeah, not exactly 'notorious arms dealer'. If I recall he was a QA head on a couple games?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Helldump never published someone's personal information on twitter and encouraged others to send death threats to goon's parents. I think you're looking too hard to find reasons to hate Zoe Quinn.

Yeah, they just found people's real name, photos, and social media profiles and documented their humiliation in a method that could and has been archived permanently. No big deal.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Yeah, they just found people's real name, photos, and social media profiles and documented their humiliation in a method that could and has been archived permanently. No big deal.

Did Zoe Quinn ever participate in this, or did she just read those threads? I'm assuming you also read those threads, so wouldn't you be as much of a monster as Zoe Quinn? You've been posting on SA for over a decade, so I think I'm entitled to do some pretty bad things to you according to the transitive property you're trying to enforce here.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Yeah, but she didn't post on Helldump, and most of us can agree that it was a hugely lovely forum, so your point is...? She was aware of it when she posted on SA? Is that a crime now?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's extremely weird to me that a Something Awful Goon would use "She posted on Something Awful" as a weak and hasty excuse as to why she's a bad person for as yet unexplained and I suspect unexplainable reasons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ddraig posted:

There's a ton of weird things like this that get passed around as a rumour, one person posts it somewhere, another person cites that as proof, and it's suddenly 'common knowledge'

Another one that I have no idea the genesis of is that Anthony Burch forced his wife into an open relationship in an attempt to "troll for pussy" himself. As far as I understand it, Anthony Burch is enough of a trainwreck on his own terms to not have to invent stupid stuff about him to make it even worse. The only citation I can find that he "forced" his wife into an open relationship was a post on an anime-avatar Tumblr claiming that "there are rumours that the open relationship wasn't her idea" or something along those lines.

I got open relationship stuff from his twitter and ask account. honestly not sure who propositioned the idea but both starting points paint burch in lovely light. Either he is an rear end in a top hat who forces his wife into having an open relationship or he comes off as wimp/cuckhold who likes watching his wife get hosed by other people. it doesnt really matter, because he is terrible terrible writer who destroyed his own marriage and his own reputation.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I got open relationship stuff from his twitter and ask account. honestly not sure who propositioned the idea but both starting points paint burch in lovely light. Either he is an rear end in a top hat who forces his wife into having an open relationship or he comes off as wimp/cuckhold who likes watching his wife get hosed by other people. it doesnt really matter, because he is terrible terrible writer who destroyed his own marriage and his own reputation.

Why does this man's sex life irritate you so much? What does he have to do with Gamergate, anyway?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dominic White posted:

The rumor was that he WAS an arms dealer, not just the son of one. And yeah, he's a low-level game developer. The Mobygames page isn't complete - he's done some bigger projects along the way - but yeah, not exactly 'notorious arms dealer'. If I recall he was a QA head on a couple games?

yeah. he also burned his career to the ground a little before all the stupid poo poo started by doing some lovely speech and breaking a GTA V disk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWw7LwIYHbA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Okay.

So let's assume Zoe Quinn is Literally Hitler. Hitler time traveled, got a sex change and started making Indie games.

What the gently caress does that have to do with ethics in games journalism?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 9, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, we're getting into creepy stalkersville here. Why should you even care what a guy and his wife (or ex-wife as the case may be) get up to? Does it have any bearing on game development? On the press? No? Well, then it's not relevant, and we should probably drop the entire subject.

This is exactly the kind of creepy poo poo that gets Gamergate its reputation of being a movement of hateful muck-slingers operating under the thinnest of veils of protecting the industry from... open relationships now, or something? gently caress if I know. I know GG have made him a target for speaking out against abuse of women and harassment, that's for sure.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 9, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Why does this man's sex life irritate you so much? What does he have to do with Gamergate, anyway?

Why don't you ask ddraig as he's the one who brought up Anthony Burch, dude.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's extremely weird to me that a Something Awful Goon would use "She posted on Something Awful" as a weak and hasty excuse as to why she's a bad person for as yet unexplained and I suspect unexplainable reasons.
As best as I can tell, "she is Zoe Quinn, who is bad, for some reason" is the reason, and all else is merely evidence, assembled at need, to fit the inevitable and fundamental thesis.

I am unclear why this is important in the cosmic sense but whoever ginned up this particular rotor seemed to have done their job well.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

As best as I can tell, "she is Zoe Quinn, who is bad, for some reason" is the reason, and all else is merely evidence, assembled at need, to fit the inevitable and fundamental thesis.

I am unclear why this is important in the cosmic sense but whoever ginned up this particular rotor seemed to have done their job well.

It sounds like every Gamergater is extremely invested in the spiteful details of consenting adults' sexual habits for some reason. It doesn't seem healthy, to me. Like this whole ethics thing is actually a smokescreen for being angry at sexhavers, which would make a lot of sense, as that's been an undercurrent in the hardcore gaming identity for a decade if not longer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Because he turned an alright game series into stupid memefilled garbage who made every single character in the game series into either a soap box for his politics or a prop that regurgitates lovely jokes. the telltale borderlands is fine and hell it even made most of his characters funny probaly because it doesnt have burch writing the story/dialogue/any of it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 9, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Because he turned an alright game series into stupid memefilled garbage who made every single character in the game series into either a soap box for his politics or a prop that regurgitates lovely jokes.

His sex life irritates you because he makes games you don't like? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's also Peter Coffin, a man who is most famous for kicking himself in the testicles. GamerGate managed to reveal that in addition to this amazing trick he was also married to a real doll and was trying to pass her off as a real woman. Allegedly.

At this point if GamerGate said the sky was blue I'd have to verify it myself.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Because he turned an alright game series into stupid memefilled garbage who made every single character in the game series into either a soap box for his politics or a prop that regurgitates lovely jokes.

And WHOOOSH away go the goalposts. Amazing how fast they moved. So, now you've issues with his writing? He has a job writing games - very popular ones, broadly praised for their writing in reviews, even - so... Yeah, deal with it?

So why does his sex life matter again? Other than being a good way to put the boot in and make yourself look creepier and more obsessed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

And WHOOOSH away go the goalposts. Amazing how fast they moved. So, now you've issues with his writing? He has a job writing games - very popular ones, broadly praised for their writing in reviews, even - so... Yeah, deal with it?

So why does his sex life matter again? Other than being a good way to put the boot in and make yourself look creepier and more obsessed?

You, Thug and ddraig are the ones harping on about his sex life.

• Locked thread