Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You add the shows then Sonarr picks up whatever files are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

can you import your Sickbeard stuff into sickrage/sonarr?

What do you mean import? You point sonarr at your library and it scans. I do not believe it can import quality, etc. Took me about an hour to switch if I remember right, this was multiple years ago though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gyshall posted:

can you import your Sickbeard stuff into sickrage/sonarr?

i believe sickrage will use your old database if that's what you're asking.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Switching from Sickbeard to Sonarr was much easier than I thought it was going to be.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Never heard of sonarr until yesterday. Tried it out, and that's a pretty slick program. Installed easily on the Synology, pointed it to my folder, and it picked it all up.

I may have spent an hour or so poking around to make sure everything is the way I like it, but I've already uninstalled SickBeard.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Well then, good thing I played Ark instead of downloading sickbeard last night.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, don't forget there's a Usenet thread where Sonarr/sickbeard/couchpotato and stuff is discussed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I got a sort of weird question.

So I'm buying a Roku of some kind because one of my family members is in the hospital (and will be for a few months) and is bored out of her loving mind. I was gonna buy a Roku because it just seemed like the best way to stream in general. Unfortunately this hospital has an old-as-gently caress tube TV with literally only AV cables. It looks like only the Roku1 supports AV cables now, but it doesn't have Dual-band wireless which I think might be really important for streaming off public wifi. I know there are HDMI to AV converters that exist, but I have no idea how reliable they are and if it's worth the extra effort.

So should I just get a Roku1 and pray it doesnt suck or get a Roku2 and an HDMI to AV converter and hope it doesnt explode? Is there a third option I didn't even consider?

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 29, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Does the public wifi even offer 5 gHz? I've only seen 2.4 gHz for public wifi.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, dual band by itself doesn't do anything. It just means it can connect to 5ghz or 2.4ghz as apposed to just 2.4ghz. Your public wifi will be 2.4ghz so dual band wont matter.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Well then Ill just get a Roku1 then. Thanks guys.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So I'm buying a Roku of some kind because one of my family members is in the hospital (and will be for a few months) and is bored out of her loving mind.

So should I just get a Roku1 and pray it doesnt suck or get a Roku2 and an HDMI to AV converter and hope it doesnt explode? Is there a third option I didn't even consider?

You may be better off just buying her a simple tablet.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Public WiFi is usually heavily gimped (low-bandwidth, captive portals), which might make the Roku not work too well. I second the tablet idea.

EDIT: DVD player would go a long way here. Netflix still has rentals, right?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

How would a tablet stream better than Roku? Also she is basically completely immoble, so we were gonna use the TV because it's already in a good position for her to watch. If a tablet is just better, than I can just get a stand.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can the roku even use the wifi there or does it have some sort of login registration page that it won't be able to get through?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's public. I've never had to "log in" to the wifi network. I also know someone else has a roku and uses it there. I have no idea how good the streaming is, but it is being used.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

How would a tablet stream better than Roku? Also she is basically completely immoble, so we were gonna use the TV because it's already in a good position for her to watch. If a tablet is just better, than I can just get a stand.

There's not a single service an iPad can't get that a Roku can, as well as also allowing her to play games and read.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

There's not a single service an iPad can't get that a Roku can, as well as also allowing her to play games and read.

If she's immobile to the point that a tablet would need a stand somehow I suspect games, web surfing, and other tablet-type activities might not be on the menu.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Immobile like she can't get out of bed or immobile like she can't use her arms?

Because if it's the latter, she's going to have issues with both. Roku's extremely easy to use but it requires you to interact with it every once in awhile. Every service I can think of has a "are you still watching?" prompt.

I was suggesting a tablet because I figured it's around the same price as a Roku 3 but she could place it on the tray, use it for other things (internet/apps/games) and you wouldn't have to futz around trying to get it to work on an ancient TV.

If you go the Roku route, the Roku 1 or a used Roku LT would probably work for you.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

Immobile like she can't get out of bed or immobile like she can't use her arms?

Because if it's the latter, she's going to have issues with both. Roku's extremely easy to use but it requires you to interact with it every once in awhile. Every service I can think of has a "are you still watching?" prompt.

I was suggesting a tablet because I figured it's around the same price as a Roku 3 but she could place it on the tray, use it for other things (internet/apps/games) and you wouldn't have to futz around trying to get it to work on an ancient TV.

If you go the Roku route, the Roku 1 or a used Roku LT would probably work for you.

Immobile including arms and basically can only nod for yes/no questions right now. Someone is always there with here though, so they could help pick for her. I have a good idea about what she likes/dislikes so we can always just start a series and if she likes it just keep going. Eventually she'll regain the ability to use her arms and hands after lots and lots of time and therapy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Immobile including arms and basically can only nod for yes/no questions right now. Someone is always there with here though, so they could help pick for her. I have a good idea about what she likes/dislikes so we can always just start a series and if she likes it just keep going. Eventually she'll regain the ability to use her arms and hands after lots and lots of time and therapy.

Sorry about your family member. Have you talked to the other person that is using a Roku there? What have they said about the quality and hooking it up to the hospital's old TVs?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

jabro posted:

Sorry about your family member. Have you talked to the other person that is using a Roku there? What have they said about the quality and hooking it up to the hospital's old TVs?

Thanks

A nurse mentioned it. She said "yeah someone here has a Roku and it seems to work OK? You could try that or something similar." I went through considering Chromecast and Apple TV until I landed back on Roku mostly because I dont want to have to walk other people through how to use Chromecast and/or lend them my work computer to actually use it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Thanks

A nurse mentioned it. She said "yeah someone here has a Roku and it seems to work OK? You could try that or something similar." I went through considering Chromecast and Apple TV until I landed back on Roku mostly because I dont want to have to walk other people through how to use Chromecast and/or lend them my work computer to actually use it.

Amazon has the Roku 1 for $48 and Best Buy has it for $49. Try it and return it if it doesn't meet your needs, I guess. Worse case is you return it for store credit to try something else.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A lot of the Roku models have RCA plugs. I have a Roku 2 XS and it'll do both RCA or HDMI.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Of the current models though, only the Roku1 has anything other than HDMI. The new Roku 2 is basically an old Roku 3.

The older Roku 2 XS did have analog connections, but you would have to either buy that used or find a place that hadn't gotten rid of inventory yet.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, I'm not even sure if buying a new Roku 1 or an older Roku 2 would offer the better experience. Manufacturers don't make the exact hardware info easy to find.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has there been any news on when HBO Now is going to get less retarded? The apple deal ends soon, doesn't it?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Has there been any news on when HBO Now is going to get less retarded? The apple deal ends soon, doesn't it?

End of next month I belive.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Has there been any news on when HBO Now is going to get less retarded?
What an odd pejorative to use for a service that's working remarkably well.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I took it to mean the apple exclusivity.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Slimy Hog posted:

I took it to mean the apple exclusivity.

Yeah, apple exclusivity is what I meant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really don't understand why Roku refuses to add a power-down feature to the player? I get that it doesn't take that much energy, but how would it be a bad thing to be like "if you haven't played anything in 30 minutes shut down" like the AppleTV does?

I'm bitching because my TV will power down if it doesn't detect input and I like it that way. I'll flip off my AppleTV and 15 minutes later my TV will turn off. If I leave it on my Roku's input, it'll stay awake all night.

This will lead to some inevitable "well why don't you just learn to turn your TV off?" post so I'll leave it at that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think that anyone here works for Roku.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh okay my bad

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's public. I've never had to "log in" to the wifi network. I also know someone else has a roku and uses it there. I have no idea how good the streaming is, but it is being used.

If that's the case, go for the Roku then. I was assuming the hospital would have a lovely hotspot with a usage agreement page like 90% of places, which would prevent a Roku from working.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 1, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I set up the Roku1 yesterday, and netflix worked like an absolute charm on public wifi.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

azurite posted:

If that's the case, go for the Roku then. I was assuming the hospital would have a lovely hotspot with a usage agreement page like 90% of places, which would prevent a Roku from working.

You could spoof it's MAC address with a laptop and accept the agreement, then turn the Roku back on?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I've tried XBMC off and on, I've tried Plex off an on, and I usually just play stuff with MPC.
Last week I decided to use Emby server and Theater, and well, i love it. Even the internal player seems to be great, it will switch my projector to 24fps, and I have audio passthrough to my receiver.

The only thing that has me confused is what video rendering mode I should use, or what specifically the video settings actually do with EmbyTheater.
Also I've noticed that you can use XBMC as an external player, but what would the benefit actually be?

The Emby server is quite cool too. I had Plex and Emby running at the same time and I couldn't get plex to stream to my parent's house from mine, I didnt set any port forwarding and was out of town, but Emby jumped that hoop no problem without setting up ports.

poo poo, shoulda posted this in the other thread. Should I move it?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Anyone have a working coupon for NFL Gamepass for this season? My subscription is set to renew and I'd like to not pay the full $200 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
For anyone who pays for Hulu Plus (or gets it for free through Bing Rewards), you can now add Showtime for $8. Is there actually anything on Showtime worth watching these days since Dexter ended with its amazing finale after only 4 seasons?