Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hat Thoughts posted:

What does Goosebumps look like?

If it was a real Goosebumps movie, every scene would end with the main characters in horrible peril... only for the next scene to reveal that no one was ever in any real danger and that the threat was completely innocuous.

The trailer looks to be what I remember of Goosebumps, with an added attempt to draw in adults who read the series while growing up. It's a children's series, and I don't expect it to be scary to anyone outside the intended age group. Movie looks pretty okay for what it is.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Timby posted:

The only thing I remember about Goosebumps is a book about a hamster that eats some green goo and suddenly becomes a Godzilla-sized beast.

Or something like that.

The one I remember is where the main character turns into a dog at the end. Or something like that. It might've been that he was a dog all along and just didn't know it. That's sort of scary, I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rurea posted:

So was the TV show but that scared the hell out of me.

Maybe I am biased. I liked the books but always thought the show was for little kids (while being a little kid myself of course). The real poo poo was Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe I am biased. I liked the books but always thought the show was for little kids (while being a little kid myself of course). The real poo poo was Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

Oh man, I haven't thought about that show in a long time. The episode about the body in the pool left me really uncomfortable around drains. I also remember an episode about a purple doll that sprayed acid, but I can't seem to find it on Wikipedia for some reason.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 9, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The real poo poo was Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

SNICK was amazing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hat Thoughts posted:

What does Goosebumps look like?

Really terrible 90s as gently caress garbage. I say that as someone who liked it as a kid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jumaki was great, how dare you compare it to this somewhat mediocre movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

SNICK was amazing.

Sometimes I think about Roundhouse and how shamelessly dorky it was. A socially conscious sketch show with adults playing teens. I'm surprised they never slipped a little Christianity in there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sometimes I think about Roundhouse and how shamelessly dorky it was. A socially conscious sketch show with adults playing teens. I'm surprised they never slipped a little Christianity in there.

I totally forgot those elements, all I really remember is breakdancing and a guy dressed up like a barcalounger (?)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

So basically like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5PO-VnaZDQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I totally forgot those elements, all I really remember is breakdancing and a guy dressed up like a barcalounger (?)

And the rad Beekman's World junkyard aesthetic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To go on another tangent before I shut up, Beekman's World ripped off the look of MST3K to a degree where I was convinced it was a spinoff.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I remember one episode of that show, and I'm pretty sure time has distorted the memory. The ending involved a kid saving a princess with his super soaker, then they warp away into what looks like a gym, but it turns out they're trapped inside a pinball table. The story ends with them about to get crushed by a pinball.

It was way more effective than it looks on page, at least for a 10-year-old kid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always called that one "the mall episode".

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

To go on another tangent before I shut up, Beekman's World ripped off the look of MST3K to a degree where I was convinced it was a spinoff.

Nothin' outright contradicting that.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Oh drat you are right. I think I was confusing the two.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rurea posted:

Oh drat you are right. I think I was confusing the two.

Here's how you tell the difference real quick: watch the super goofy Goosebumps intro then watch the AYAOTD intro, which is still quite eerie, albeit in a safe way.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Goosebumps movie needs more Ryan Gosling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9chZLwAO7f8

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

I remember one episode of that show, and I'm pretty sure time has distorted the memory. The ending involved a kid saving a princess with his super soaker, then they warp away into what looks like a gym, but it turns out they're trapped inside a pinball table. The story ends with them about to get crushed by a pinball.

It was way more effective than it looks on page, at least for a 10-year-old kid.

Like 80% of the entire episode takes place inside a pinball machine. The main kid is trying to beat the "story" of the pinball machine, he breaks into the arcade after closing, starts playing it, gets stuck inside the machine, where he has to contend with everything in the story, saves the day, and thinks he's going to get freed when he does. At the end the owner of the arcade shows up while the kid is still in the machine, wondering what the hell happened, and the owner basically tells him "it's a game, and when you beat a game, it starts over again!" before plinking in a quarter and the kid watches as a giant pinball rolls into view, which means he has to do the whole thing over in a Sisyphean nightmare that now also includes a giant death ball chasing him and a maniacally evil old dude able to see every move he makes.

There's also my personal favorite, the one about a restaurant whose cook makes the best soup you can get anywhere - by locking people in a room (luring them in by saying they'll learn what makes the soup so special if they go into the room and sit in the sole chair in there) with a statue that knows what scares you and subjects you to it incessantly, and the fear brought on by this creating the secret ingredient that makes the soup taste so good.

Starring Neve Campbell.

I'm pretty sure that one has a downer ending, too.

There's also the haunted film reel episode that featured one of the recurring guest stars that was an old, super-bearded crazy man and the haunted film is basically Nosferatu.

Plus the Ryan Gosling episode that had something to do with alien contact in which you'll be astounded how bad a 14 or so year old Gosling is at acting. Like holy poo poo, he's the drizzling shits in it.

I remember way too much about Are You Afraid of The Dark and SNICK in general.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The one Goosebumps episode I remember had a sponge or potato with teeth. It couldn't move and didn't attack anyone, it just growled a little.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When are they gonna make a Goonbumps movie

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The Finest Hour - Chris Pine is a captain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0ifMz5PbQ

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Everytime I hear Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata I think of the Goosebumps episode with the ghost piano teacher.

edit - this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP96eoqG91c

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As a Canadian, I loving LOVED Are You Afraid of the Dark, what a glorious show to watch at night and actually be creepy/scary.

The pinball episode is probably the best and most remembered one, at least its my personal favorite but a lot of people you talk to remember that specific one. It was insane.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, as a Canadian kid Are You Afraid of The Dark? was definitely The poo poo. It was weird seeing one of the Midnight Society kids as a weatherman years later.

The episode that's always stuck with me is the swimming pool ghost zombie thing.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

GrandpaPants posted:

Goosebumps trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn716jv61s

Very much for kids that feels very Jumanji-esque, although I'm kinda surprised how little Jack Black there was in the trailer. I'm not saying it's going to be good, but I can see it as the sort of movie some 10 year old watches and feels nostalgic for in 10-20 years.

Do kids even still read Goosebumps?

Looks like a fun movie for kids.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jumaki was great, how dare you compare it to this somewhat mediocre movie?

Where did you see it? I didn't think it was out yet.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, as a Canadian kid Are You Afraid of The Dark? was definitely The poo poo. It was weird seeing one of the Midnight Society kids as a weatherman years later.

The episode that's always stuck with me is the swimming pool ghost zombie thing.

This episode gave me literal nightmares.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Round the Twist movie.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Unsolved Mysteries was far more terrifying to me as a kid but Are You Afraid of the Dark was good.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

LesterGroans posted:

Oh good I'm not the only one who got traumatized by that thing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Unsolved Mysteries was far more terrifying to me as a kid but Are You Afraid of the Dark was good.

I legit thought the episode with a Sasquatch running in front of the car was real footage and it freaked me the gently caress out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

As a Canadian, I loving LOVED Are You Afraid of the Dark, what a glorious show to watch at night and actually be creepy/scary.

The pinball episode is probably the best and most remembered one, at least its my personal favorite but a lot of people you talk to remember that specific one. It was insane.

I'm in my late thirties and my gf is about 10 years younger. I had to watch Are You Afraid of the Dark for the first time this year. Cheese city but I could see how kids would love it.

She also made me watch Hey Dude ffs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

That's a pretty nice red-blue contrast right there. Also Jay Baruchel is in that episode.

Here's the new Mockingjay trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLLwfajwd8s

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Goosebumps trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn716jv61s

Very much for kids that feels very Jumanji-esque, although I'm kinda surprised how little Jack Black there was in the trailer. I'm not saying it's going to be good, but I can see it as the sort of movie some 10 year old watches and feels nostalgic for in 10-20 years.

Do kids even still read Goosebumps?

My 9 year old is obsessed with Goosebumps, he's read all the books multiple times, and watches the TV show episodes on Youtube. I'm sure he'll be in his glory watching the movie.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
The Goosebumps movie looks like they're afraid to let it get even a little scary, or go a second without a joke. It's getting a Danny Elfman score, so hopefully it'll have something more of a spooky tone than that pop-song-laden romp of a trailer.

The TV show really was awful and cheap though. AYAOTD was mostly classier and legitimately creepy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I like how they're hinting that District 13 is full of bad guys too (they stole the Capitol's all white coloring and they literally resemble Stormtroopers).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

zandert33 posted:

My 9 year old is obsessed with Goosebumps, he's read all the books multiple times, and watches the TV show episodes on Youtube. I'm sure he'll be in his glory watching the movie.
Huh, weird, I wouldn't have guessed Goosebumps still had any present day kid following. Is R.L. still making that Scholastic bank? This opens the road to so many possibilities...

When will Lars von Trier release Animorph Pt. 1 and 2??? :getin:

(surely Jurassic World's box office means the day has finally come for Dinotopia to shine)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 10, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

I like how they're hinting that District 13 is full of bad guys too (they stole the Capitol's all white coloring and they literally resemble Stormtroopers).

The book was a little more up front about District 13 being full of jerks because there's this whole subplot about how they strictly regiment everything. Everyone has a schedule that they have to keep or they get in trouble.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

muscles like this? posted:

The book was a little more up front about District 13 being full of jerks because there's this whole subplot about how they strictly regiment everything. Everyone has a schedule that they have to keep or they get in trouble.

I thought the latest movie made it pretty clear the District 13 leaders were as oppressive as the Capitol's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't take it seriously with all those guys dancing around with guns.

• Locked thread