Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Snak posted:

It would be one thing if losing this fight meant that Geralt got his butt kicked and the quest had a different ending. But it means that Geralt DIES. Can't draw his sword because of reasons, but fight is life or death.

because he was piss drunk and bit off more than he could chew. by Freya's blessing he was brought back to life to fight and gently caress again

there i RP'd this snafu for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Haha I love the subtle pop culture references in this game. My first replay tryin' all hard core completionist DM difficulty, no minimap, etc.

The quest in White Orchard to find the arsonist who burned down the dwarf's forge is called Twisted Firestarter.

Prodigy - Firestarter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Sexed up female characters.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

Haha I love the subtle pop culture references in this game. My first replay tryin' all hard core completionist DM difficulty, no minimap, etc.

The quest in White Orchard to find the arsonist who burned down the dwarf's forge is called Twisted Firestarter.

Prodigy - Firestarter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw

My favorite of these is (non story spoilers) the champion of the Velen fighting club (Fists of Fury: Velen), is Durden the Tailor. Tailor Durden.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hey cool I just finished Kings Gambit and I too was hit by the retroactive Cave of Dreams failing bug. Seems like lots are hit by this damned thing.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I'm the Butcher of Blavikan, where can i sell these broken rakes please

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just found a Superior Oil formula clearing out a level 3 bandit camp. I love this game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So this is my first Witcher game but I've got the sense that a lot of people really hate Triss for some reason from another board I visit. Without going into spoilers for this game, why exactly should I hate her? She seems well-adjusted, loyal, and self-reliant. Unlike Yen who's only used my character so far to achieve her goals.

Also why are Triss and Geralt the only two with American accents in the game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

So this is my first Witcher game but I've got the sense that a lot of people really hate Triss for some reason from another board I visit. Without going into spoilers for this game, why exactly should I hate her? She seems well-adjusted, loyal, and self-reliant. Unlike Yen who's only used my character so far to achieve her goals.

Well, I don't think anyone should hate her. The answer to why some people hate her is essentially "shipping". Triss is the main love interest in The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings. That's not really a spoiler, she's the female lead of that game. Story spoilers for Witcher 2: At the beginning of the game, Geralt is with Triss and has amnesia. By the end of the game, it's revealed that Geralt was with Yennifer previously, but forgot as part of his amnesia/dying or whatever. So people who are fans of exclusive relationships and buy into the Geralt/Yen meant to be together bullshit train think that Triss is kind of lovely for getting with Geralt while he had amnesia.

Yennifer isn't even in Witcher 2. But it's not like Triss of Yen can claim some sort of moral high ground. They are Sorceresses, and, like Geralt, tend to put their job first.

It's actually pretty funny, that despite all of the relationship drama that happens in the Witcher series, almost all of it is because all parties are putting their careers before their love-lives.

edit: PS i've always though it was really lovely how the games railroad you into "picking Yennifer" as the right choice, even though she's super boring and the whole "fates bound together" bullshit is so sappy. So that actually biases me against Yen.

I actually wonder if there's more choices that matter when you import a W2 save on PC. The simulate option on console only asks really basic plot questions and didn't seem to include relationship choices. Does anyone know if things like that are carried over on PC?

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 9, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the only "hate" going on is people just talkin' bout videogame waifus, no more no less.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Snak posted:

Edit: Fight made trivial by alternating fast and strong attacks. There must be a combo system. just for fun, I decided and instead of trying 2 fast attacks after each counter, I would try a fast and then a heavy. It turned out I could take out each person with a single combo of fast heavy heavy. 5 hours later, none of the skills I had been practicing or learning the geography of the room mattered. It boiled down to "use heavy attacks".

So wait, you spent 5 hours plus all the time posting about it and never tried "use heavy attacks"? Have you played a videogame before this one?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, do the money reserves of any shop keeper replenish, or am I going to have to bankrupt everybody in Velen outside of the Pellar?

And he now has enough money to live like a king, after buying all those runestone diagrams from him...

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Haha, the economy in this game is hosed. Its actually funny when Emyr offers to pay you the reward money and says you can live the rest of your life without doing another contract ever, but by then I was like, 'bro, i got TEN TIMES whats in that lovely box of yours already'

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mister Macys posted:

So, do the money reserves of any shop keeper replenish, or am I going to have to bankrupt everybody in Velen outside of the Pellar?

And he now has enough money to live like a king, after buying all those runestone diagrams from him...
Yes the reserves of any shopkeep replenish. No idea if they normalize down if you make them rich like you did the pellar.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes the reserves of any shopkeep replenish. No idea if they normalize down if you make them rich like you did the pellar.

How long does this take, exactly? Because the fuckers I bankrupted in Oxenfurt are poor as poo poo.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeC posted:

Haha, the economy in this game is hosed. Its actually funny when Emyr offers to pay you the reward money and says you can live the rest of your life without doing another contract ever, but by then I was like, 'bro, i got TEN TIMES whats in that lovely box of yours already'

I remember first going to Skellige at around level 17 and had like 8k. Picking up weapons and selling them nets you mad bank.

I also converted like 1000 coins at the bank in Novigrad the first time I went so I think I just have a "pick up everything" habit.

Also lol at that dude just grabbing a handful of coins and giving them to you. Like, "Yeah I think that'll do it. No need to count or anything."

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also I think I have a Gwent addiction. I managed to absolutely destroy someone with a 2nd round score of 190 just cause I wanted to see how high I can get it.

The last time this happened was Final Fantasy 8 and basically only progressed the game to get more cards.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's basically how you play FF8 anyway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mister Macys posted:

How long does this take, exactly? Because the fuckers I bankrupted in Oxenfurt are poor as poo poo.
I am sorry to say that I do not know the amount of time that needs to pass. Usually "a couple days" of me wandering around gave them enough time to replenish. "A couple days" did not pass very quickly if I never fast travelled, though, so it may depend on how often you rest and for how long, plus if you fast travel.

Romes128 posted:

Also I think I have a Gwent addiction. I managed to absolutely destroy someone with a 2nd round score of 190 just cause I wanted to see how high I can get it.

The last time this happened was Final Fantasy 8 and basically only progressed the game to get more cards.
Isnt Witcher 3 about how Geralt beats his Gwent addiction to end up being a good father?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oh well. Anyone know where I can find Monster Feathers? I want to build a set of Griffin Armor.

And where can I find Red Mutagens?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 9, 2015

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is it possible for Vigi to survive the siege of Kaer Morhen??

I've heard some people say he survived, but I don't think I even saw him in my game during the fight.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

Oh well. Anyone know where I can find Monster Feathers? I want to build a set of Griffin Armor.

I bought them off the herbalist that you have to bring his pet goat to make my Griffin gear.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bort Bortles posted:

I am sorry to say that I do not know the amount of time that needs to pass. Usually "a couple days" of me wandering around gave them enough time to replenish. "A couple days" did not pass very quickly if I never fast travelled, though, so it may depend on how often you rest and for how long, plus if you fast travel.

Isnt Witcher 3 about how Geralt beats his Gwent addiction to end up being a good father?

Bang women, play Gwent. That's how I play my game.

Preventing my daughter from being taken by magic dudes in black armor is incidental.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

You can dismantle harpy feathers into monster feathers.

Red Mutagens seem really hard to come by until Skellige, but there are level 18 drowners who drop them fairly frequently.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Just popping in to say this game was dead easy even on death march and then BAM Imerith fight is tough as gently caress out of nowhere!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mister Macys posted:

They dont start dropping till you are around level 20 or so. It is really odd.

Romes128 posted:

Bang women, play Gwent. That's how I play my game.

Preventing my daughter from being taken by magic dudes in black armor is incidental.
:c00l::respek::black101:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What is this bad advice about not dodging in fist fights? The best strategy I found was wait for the stupid huge windup haymaker, press light attack before it lands, punch 2-3 more times, dodge backwards, rinse and repeat. No blocking is involved whatsoever.

It's harder in tight spaces or with multiple enemies, yes, but not impossible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

So wait, you spent 5 hours plus all the time posting about it and never tried "use heavy attacks"? Have you played a videogame before this one?

I mean, I don't have a lot of defense for this one... but I had found heavy attacks to be completely useless outside of fist-fights, and I guess i was still in dark souls 2 mode subconsciously, where you can't string together light and heavy attacks. It's not like you can really practice fist-fighting in this game to learn the mechanics of how it differs from regular fighting...

in other news, I turned off my minimap and all the hud elements that I don't need, and now exploring is a lot prettier and more engaging.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Bort Bortles posted:

They dont start dropping till you are around level 20 or so. It is really odd.
I've got 3 red mutagens at level 13. They were off of some Endregas I want to say. One is some enemy mutagen and the other are lesser mutagens.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Snak posted:

It's not like you can really practice fist-fighting in this game to learn the mechanics of how it differs from regular fighting...

Enter fights with a 1 gold bet and lose all of them, if you really want... but there is much more fun to be had elsewhere.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

Just popping in to say this game was dead easy even on death march and then BAM Imerith fight is tough as gently caress out of nowhere!

That's what you get for doing a sign build - everything melts to alt igni, then you meet rear end in a top hat like Imlerith who can only get a bit defrosted by it. He's annoying because he's a massive damage sponge, but except that his attack patterns are predictable. After learning that I only got hit when I were overzealous with hit after he smashes his mace thingy in the ground.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

alex314 posted:

That's what you get for doing a sign build - everything melts to alt igni, then you meet rear end in a top hat like Imlerith who can only get a bit defrosted by it. He's annoying because he's a massive damage sponge, but except that his attack patterns are predictable. After learning that I only got hit when I were overzealous with hit after he smashes his mace thingy in the ground.

The main problem I had with Imlerith is that I tried to melt his armor off after his mace combo, that immediately starts the next combo though.
Kinda sad that Sign builds gently caress up on the three big bosses, but at least with the fast stamina regen you can run constant Quen and use the Archgriffin decoction to ruin the boss's day.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

The main problem I had with Imlerith is that I tried to melt his armor off after his mace combo, that immediately starts the next combo though.
Kinda sad that Sign builds gently caress up on the three big bosses, but at least with the fast stamina regen you can run constant Quen and use the Archgriffin decoction to ruin the boss's day.

I think normal Igni is enough for defrosting his armour, and I'm not sure you can debuff his armour anyway. I've used Quen+alt Igni in that fight a couple of times when I got tired of dodging. It was enough to use up more than half of my stamina if I've timed things right. I was also heavy signs build, luckily with some points in fast attacks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the books Triss is in love with Geralt. Geralt loves Yennefer. They have been together on and off for about 10 years.

The games start off with Geralt having lost his memory and due to that he gets together with Triss because he doesn't remember Yennefer.

Now if you pick Triss with the knowledge that Yennefer is alive and you remember what you had together then I guess it's okay and it's not as creepy. But that's the reason people don't like Triss.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

On one hand Triss got together with Geralt in the absence of Yen but on the other she did everything she could to bring Geralt's memories back. She knew it would probably mean a break up but she did it anyway. Also it's not that this was the first time - Geralt was involved with her in the books even when he had his full memory. She was abandoned for another woman and never got over the fact. I've always seen her actions in TW1 and 2 as living out the dream of being with Geralt that was once taken from her but also knowing that one day it will end. It's not like she was magically keeping Geralt with her - Yen was missing and he was happy with Triss. There's not really much reason to hate either Yen or Triss. They both have character and history with Geralt and it's up to you if you even want to be romantically involved with any of them.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Palpek posted:

On one hand Triss got together with Geralt in the absence of Yen but on the other she did everything she could to bring Geralt's memories back. She knew it would probably mean a break up but she did it anyway. Also it's not that this was the first time - Geralt was involved with her in the books even when he had his full memory. She was abandoned for another woman and never got over the fact. I've always seen her actions in TW1 and 2 as living out the dream of being with Geralt that was once taken from her but also knowing that one day it will end. It's not like she was magically keeping Geralt with her - Yen was missing and he was happy with Triss. There's not really much reason to hate either Yen or Triss. They both have character and history with Geralt and it's up to you if you even want to be romantically involved with any of them.

They are both cool ladies but only one of them can make puns.

<3 vidya gam waifu <3

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

They are both cool ladies but only one of them can make puns.

<3 vidya gam waifu <3

Yes, but she also cuts the puns short showing she has only a limited sense of humor. -1 points for Yen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is officially too much stuff to do in this game. I'm 15 hours deep and have barely cleared out even half the question marks in Velen.

So far I liked that missing wife sidequest the best. Things get devilishly hosed up if you don't take the sister's bribe and keep pressing the investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Levantine posted:

Yes, but she also cuts the puns short showing she has only a limited sense of humor. -1 points for Yen.

Accepting that you can't compete with a pun god like Geralt is nothing to be ashamed of.