Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Okay, here you go I guess.

... That's not a false flag attack. She's making a thread for all the abuse to go into, you goofus. And then saying 'Hey, jerks, knock yourself out'.

She's being sassy, not faking an attack on herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm making a lot of posts because I'm trying to understand.

You really seem to hate Quinn, for reasons that are not clear, and I just want to see if I can understand why. So far it doesn't seem like she's done anything wrong, which makes Gamergate even more incomprehensible to me. You feel like she is attacking people, and perhaps attacking you as well? This is a common thread in Gamergate. You wouldn't happen to be a Wizard yourself, would you? Because your tone indicates that you seem to take her single statement awfully personally. None of your other accusations make any real sense, but it does seem likely that you would have such a chip on your shoulder if you disliked her for having sex. Is that the reason?

Nah, I just hate the far left. With a vitriol you can't imagine. And I consider myself liberal. Zoe, Wu, and Anita are seen as paragons by the MSM, and as such have had multiple unwarranted opportunities to be on national TV spewing their nonsense. Thankfully none recently. Their time has passed--well, maybe not Anita's--and it's really only here that I am seeing them discussed ad nauseum. /r/KotakuinAction hasn't mentioned Zoe in months. Nor Wu. Anita, however, pops up every now and again for the utter ridiculousness of what she says (see pixelated mess as the best example of a feminist heroine or Witcher 3 being set in medieval Poland and being racist for having no black people). Wu never left her house, that bomb threat against Anita was never credible, Zoe incited an online mob to attack a safe space for 30+ year old virgins with a false flag attack. They all profited off this manufactured outrage and the MSM ate it up. Not necessarily because MSM believed them but because they knew this bullshit would sell.

Watch this video if you haven't already. And understand that it is sensationalist nonsense and possibly one of the most downvoted videos in Youtube history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAyncf3DBUQ

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 9, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

Is there a chance that there could be at least a temporary moratorium on talking about Quinn, Wu, and Sarkeesian?

Even if you were to assume that all three of them are exactly as their most negative detractors portray them, I'm not seeing why discussing it in the context of whatever value the "Gamergate" movement has is anything other than an ongoing group attempt to set records for the world's longest ad hominem attack.

If we stopped talking about the hateful and misogynist attacks on Quinn, Wu, and Sarkeesian, I think by default we would also stop talking about Gamergate.

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, I just hate the far left. With a vitriol you can't imagine. And I consider myself liberal. Zoe, Wu, and Anita are seen as paragons by the MSM, and as such have had multiple unwarranted opportunities to be on national TV spewing their nonsense. Thankfully none recently. There time has passed--well, maybe not Anita's--and it's really only here that I am seeing them discussed ad nauseum. /r/KotakuinAction hasn't mentioned Zoe in months. Nor Wu. Anita, however, pops up every now and again for the utter ridiculousness of what she says (see pixelated mess as the best example of a feminist heroine or Witcher 3 being set in medieval Poland and being racist for having no black people). Wu never left her house, that bomb threat against Anita was never credible, Zoe incited an online mob to attack a safe space for 30+ year old virgins with a false flag attack. They all profited off this manufactured outrage and the MSM ate it up. Not necessarily because MSM believed them but because they knew this bullshit would sell.

Watch this video if you haven't already. And understand that it is sensationalist nonsense and possibly one of the most downvoted videos in Youtube history.

I don't see how anyone is supposed to take you seriously after you admit to having a blind, irrational hatred. I think many people in this thread percieve you accurately, as a hate-filled and twisted soul. The fact that your arguments are in lockstep with the conspiratorial nonsense that constitutes most of Gamergate just demonstrates that both the movement itself and its many adherents are simply deranged.

Serf
May 5, 2011

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Okay, here you go I guess.

If anything you have to admire the hubris of calling yourself a "notable" feminist.

I dunno if you are incapable of seeing the joke here or what, but she literally set this thread up to give the people listed in the post a place to talk about her because she knew they were coming.

Edit: Also she says "noted" feminist. Did you not even read the picture before posting it?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Oh, and just to top it off: Brianna Wu isn't a games journalist either. She runs a small, all-female indie studio that makes story-driven mobile games aimed at women.

I WONDER WHAT COULD HAVE MADE HER A TARGET!?

She made herself a target for pity money and publicity. It's not that hard to understand, really. Why do you insist on advocating for such terrible human beings?

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, I just hate the far left. With a vitriol you can't imagine. And I consider myself liberal.

your a dweeb

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pandemonium posted:

She made herself a target for pity money and publicity. It's not that hard to understand, really. Why do you insist on advocating for such terrible human beings?

He's been arguing against GamerGate. You really are confused.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pandemonium posted:

They're not terrible at all. They're just targets for a pathetic collective hate mob called Gamergate, which claims to care about ethics but has accomplished nothing but harassing women.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Obdicut posted:

Pandemonium, OMG JC, you really don't realize how creepy you seem, do you?

I don't mean this as an attack

No, it isn't. It's a smug dismissal tactic that you've employed a million times throughout this thread.

The only reason I know about any of this is because I read and enjoyed Hellthread and the hilarious internet drama soap opera that powered it. Since nearly no one else in this thread read that one, it's only natural that only a few people know the backstory behind this debacle.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Serf posted:

You see, if enough sins can be dug up on these women, that will retroactively justify all the criticism* they've faced.

*doxxing, death threats and stalking (I'm not kidding there was a dude taking pictures of her house and posting them to Twitter)

They have literally profited off this harassment. If you don't think so, you are willfully closing your eyes, plugging your eyes, and going "nenner nenner nenner".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

WHY WONT YOU JUST LET US BURN THE WITCH

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Edit- oh that was just GTA. They did make a videogame about beating the poo poo out of her though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pandemonium posted:

They have literally profited off this harassment. If you don't think so, you are willfully closing your eyes, plugging your eyes, and going "nenner nenner nenner".

I mean if people can be compensated in exchange for getting harassed and threatened with death, that only begins to make up for their pain.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pandemonium posted:

Aren't the harassers to blame for helping her profit? If Quinn is so bad, why do you keep putting money in her pockets? It doesn't make any sense at all and it has nothing to do with ethics or games journalism.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dominic White posted:

Oh my, she made fun of the sexist hate-mob. Clearly she was just asking for it.

You made it sound like they picked her because she was a female developer. This wasn't the case.

So? People are allowed to have opinions on the internet. I've mocked people with lovely memes before, but nobody's ever called me in the middle of the night and accused me of murdering my pets. This is the kind of behavior that makes it evident that Gamergate is just a collection of delusional and hateful shutins.

I'm not saying it is right or a justifiable response. And of course it isn't. I'm just saying why the response happened, it wasn't random.

Slanderer posted:

Just to provide sources--the 2 interviews I recall were with Buzzfeed and Boston Magazine

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/the-man-who-sparked-gamergate-regrets-the-harassment-but-say#.mr4xNyjdM1

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2015/04/28/gamergate/

(bolded the girlfriend mention just to point out how hosed up he must be that, despite apparently having a new girlfriend, he still dedicates time to his manifesto about his ex)

Jesus loving christ. And people gave this guy money. He needs to get a good therapist. I'd say get laid, but that clearly isn't helping. He should get psychotropics and shut up about Zoe Quinn because he is clearly is not over her.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Pandemonium posted:

Be still my beating heart, the most downvoted video in Youtube history?!?!? :lol:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper Dan posted:

I'm not saying it is right or a justifiable response. And of course it isn't. I'm just saying why the response happened, it wasn't random.

It might as well be random. Many many people have mocked Gamergate, but the only prominent targets of Gamergate are a handful of women. As far as I'm aware, Sarkeesian never even provoked Gamergaters directly except by existing and making her videos. That's pretty telling to me that the whole 'ethics' argument is just an excuse for internet virgins and other assorted oddballs to publicly vent about women behind the flimsiest of excuses.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Dominic White posted:

... That's not a false flag attack. She's making a thread for all the abuse to go into, you goofus. And then saying 'Hey, jerks, knock yourself out'.

She's being sassy, not faking an attack on herself.

Maybe the solution to abuse isn't to say "Hey, I've made a forum for you to abuse me. Please do it!"

Serf posted:

Also she says "noted" feminist. Did you not even read the picture before posting it?

Oh no, in my haste I misquoted the screenshot using a word that is functionally similar to the one on the screenshot. Or did I? Maybe this is a part of the conspiracy to force women to stop making video games forever! drat, foiled again! Time to start shredding those secret internal documents.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Hulk Krogan posted:

Hahahaha this is some THE SHOT CAME FROM THE GRASSY KNOLL Zapruder film-level poo poo.

Except this has been proven. Like irrefutably proven. I'm pretty sure Wu even admitted to it! (Source needed.) Nice try dismissing it, though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pandemonium posted:

Except this has been proven. Like irrefutably proven. I'm pretty sure Wu even admitted to it! (Source needed.) Nice try dismissing it, though.

It hasn't been proven at all. None of the allegations Gamergaters have made against these women have turned out to be even partially true.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

You keep saying things like this and we should... just believe you? I think you are just making this up.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

No you see, forums poster Pandemonium assures me that the GG Internet Video Forensics Division has top men working on it.

Top. Men.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

It hasn't been proven at all.

By GamerGate standards of proof, it has.

Here's how it goes.

Person posts a claim. Someone else repeats the claim. Someone else repeats the claim, and uses the second post as confirmation. This is now established as fact.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

If we stopped talking about the hateful and misogynist attacks on Quinn, Wu, and Sarkeesian, I think by default we would also stop talking about Gamergate.

I'm kind of curious what would be left over, yeah.

There's a shred of useful discussion to be had within its context; there's been a discussion going on about the oddly close relationship between developers and critics for at least the last ten years that I know of, because games journalism almost requires you to live in urban California while also not paying very well. I started writing about games in 2003 and pretty much everyone I know from that period is now working in games development or marketing, including me, because you can't live with five roommates with a two-room San Francisco apartment for your whole loving life.

In the age of Patreon, Kickstarter, and other crowd-funding options, it would be a genuine boon to the larger community to have a fully independent critical body that can actually afford to pay its writers. The problem then becomes that Gamergate, as a movement, has repeatedly shown itself incapable of that kind of insight, and if it did take me up on that offer, any idiot who actually tried writing for them would get torn apart within a week for "bias."

Serf
May 5, 2011

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Oh no, in my haste I misquoted the screenshot using a word that is functionally similar to the one on the screenshot. Or did I? Maybe this is a part of the conspiracy to force women to stop making video games forever! drat, foiled again! Time to start shredding those secret internal documents.

I believe that in this context "noted" would mean "is known to be" whereas "notable" would mean "is important" which carries a connotation of arrogance absent from just using "noted."

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I don't see how anyone is supposed to take you seriously after you admit to having a blind, irrational hatred. I think many people in this thread percieve you accurately, as a hate-filled and twisted soul. The fact that your arguments are in lockstep with the conspiratorial nonsense that constitutes most of Gamergate just demonstrates that both the movement itself and its many adherents are simply deranged.

With the exception of the Robin Williams bit, not one shred of substantive evidence has been given that what I've brought up is wrong or false. All that has been offered is hand-waving, dismissal, and ad hominen nonsense. The only reason I posted the first time in this thread was because I was tired of reading you idiots go back and forth on and on for pages about Zoe and her sex life.

I've made a handful of posts in an hour or two in this thread. You've been posting here since day one. Methinks you need to be gazing at your own involvement more than mine. How many hours have you invested in this single thread? Ballpark it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pandemonium posted:

With the exception of the Robin Williams bit, not one shred of substantive evidence has been given that what I've brought up is wrong or false. All that has been offered is hand-waving, dismissal, and ad hominen nonsense. The only reason I posted the first time in this thread was because I was tired of reading you idiots go back and forth on and on for pages about Zoe and her sex life.

I've made a handful of posts in an hour or two in this thread. You've been posting here since day one. Methinks you need to be gazing at your own involvement more than mine. How many hours have you invested in this single thread? Ballpark it.

We're still not entirely sure what Zoe Quinn decided to do to the Wizards. It must have been terribly bad, they did square off against the Dark Lord himself and come out OK, so god knows what this woman is capable of.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pandemonium posted:

This is not how adults argue. If you make an allegation, you need to provide substantiation. Attacking your opponents for failing to do your work for you is both lazy and immature. It also seems to be a hallmark of Gamergate, as what substantiation they do bother to provide are often scribbled lines on a screenshot and wild leaps to unsupportable conclusions. And even then, I don't see what any of the attacks against these women has to do at all with video games journalism.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

You keep saying things like this and we should... just believe you? I think you are just making this up.

Listen and believe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

In the age of Patreon, Kickstarter, and other crowd-funding options, it would be a genuine boon to the larger community to have a fully independent critical body that can actually afford to pay its writers. The problem then becomes that Gamergate, as a movement, has repeatedly shown itself incapable of that kind of insight, and if it did take me up on that offer, any idiot who actually tried writing for them would get torn apart within a week for "bias."

It's a shame because that really is fertile ground for a lot of interesting writing. It's part of why I find Gamergate frustrating because while I don't think such a thing would appear out of thin air overnight, I do feel like something like GG poisons the well for the actual reform and improvements I'd genuinely enjoy seeing.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

They're not terrible at all. They're just targets for a pathetic collective hate mob called Gamergate, which claims to care about ethics but has accomplished nothing but harassing women.

Please look at the disclaimer notices on most major gaming sites these days. Those are a direct result of Gamergate. The movement is nebulous as hell and you can continue to enjoy making your snide sarcastic little comments about "it's actually about ethics" all you want with respect to how Gamergate has focused a lot of time and energy on these three women (not all women in gaming, please note), but you are clearly betraying your ignorance if you think it has accomplished nothing with respect to video game journalism ethics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pandemonium posted:

Nah, I just hate the far left. With a vitriol you can't imagine. And I consider myself liberal. Zoe, Wu, and Anita are seen as paragons by the MSM, and as such have had multiple unwarranted opportunities to be on national TV spewing their nonsense. Thankfully none recently. Their time has passed--well, maybe not Anita's--and it's really only here that I am seeing them discussed ad nauseum. /r/KotakuinAction hasn't mentioned Zoe in months. Nor Wu. Anita, however, pops up every now and again for the utter ridiculousness of what she says (see pixelated mess as the best example of a feminist heroine or Witcher 3 being set in medieval Poland and being racist for having no black people). Wu never left her house, that bomb threat against Anita was never credible, Zoe incited an online mob to attack a safe space for 30+ year old virgins with a false flag attack. They all profited off this manufactured outrage and the MSM ate it up. Not necessarily because MSM believed them but because they knew this bullshit would sell.

Seriously though, source your quotes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

Please look at the disclaimer notices on most major gaming sites these days. Those are a direct result of Gamergate. The movement is nebulous as hell and you can continue to enjoy making your snide sarcastic little comments about "it's actually about ethics" all you want with respect to how Gamergate has focused a lot of time and energy on these three women (not all women in gaming, please note), but you are clearly betraying your ignorance if you think it has accomplished nothing with respect to video game journalism ethics.

What disclaimer?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

No, it isn't. It's a smug dismissal tactic that you've employed a million times throughout this thread.

The only reason I know about any of this is because I read and enjoyed Hellthread and the hilarious internet drama soap opera that powered it. Since nearly no one else in this thread read that one, it's only natural that only a few people know the backstory behind this debacle.

It's really not. I've used this 'dismissal tactic' with you because you clearly have a huge chip on your shoulder to Sarkeesian that leads you into very, very weird attacks on her. In addition, doing this "Oh, I don't really care" thing, that you're just here to laugh, and then really earnestly arguing that Sarkeesian is a bad person who is scamming people does not actually seem reasonable.

Are you really reading Pandemonium's posts and nodding and going, "Right on, dude"?

Wanderer posted:

There's a shred of useful discussion to be had within its context; there's been a discussion going on about the oddly close relationship between developers and critics for at least the last ten years that I know of, because games journalism almost requires you to live in urban California while also not paying very well. I started writing about games in 2003 and pretty much everyone I know from that period is now working in games development or marketing, including me, because you can't live with five roommates with a two-room San Francisco apartment for your whole loving life.

I think the way people have responded to the sorry state of games journalism in general has been fine--I'm not talking about GGers, but ordinary people, who read reviews, filter for hype, listen to word of mouth, etc. Steam's new policy of allowing people to return games if they've only played a few hours of it and don't like it is probably more of a boon than any amount of games journalism could really be.

I do think you're right that they think that they want someone 'objective' to write about games, but there is no possible way to be objective about games, something inherently subjective. Even whether or not graphics look good is in the end a subjective stance.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

Be still my beating heart, the most downvoted video in Youtube history?!?!? :lol:

Nice casual dismissal, bub.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

It might as well be random. Many many people have mocked Gamergate, but the only prominent targets of Gamergate are a handful of women. As far as I'm aware, Sarkeesian never even provoked Gamergaters directly except by existing and making her videos. That's pretty telling to me that the whole 'ethics' argument is just an excuse for internet virgins and other assorted oddballs to publicly vent about women behind the flimsiest of excuses.

Like I said before, it is all about who the journalists like and who they don't. Sarkessian provoked them by being a darling to the gaming media.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Serf posted:

I believe that in this context "noted" would mean "is known to be" whereas "notable" would mean "is important" which carries a connotation of arrogance absent from just using "noted."

Wow, I expected some pedantry, but that's just impressive. Since we're playing this game, let's look it up. Google says:

quote:

not·ed
ˈnōdəd/
adjective
adjective: noted
well known; famous.
"the restaurant is noted for its high standards of cuisine"
synonyms: renowned, well known, famous, famed, prominent, celebrated; More
antonyms: unknown

And "notable."

quote:

no·ta·ble
ˈnōdəb(ə)l/
adjective
worthy of attention or notice; remarkable.
"the gardens are notable for their collection of magnolias and camellias"
synonyms: noteworthy, remarkable, outstanding, important, significant, momentous, memorable; Mor

Functionally the same, and both imply an air of self-importance. Which doesn't really come as a surprise coming from someone who refers to themselves as "The Godzilla of Feminists."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Independent of what? What would a fully independent critical body like this look like? Do you mean not advertising for games they review? Or just critique on the actual business and labor side of games?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Maybe the solution to abuse isn't to say "Hey, I've made a forum for you to abuse me. Please do it!"

If you don't give them a forum for calling you a bitch (by disabling youtube comments, for instance) you are censoring your critics and deserve to be attacked

This is an argument that has been made, a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dapper Dan posted:

Like I said before, it is all about who the journalists like and who they don't. Sarkessian provoked them by being a darling to the gaming media.

The only reason she was a darling was because she was attacked. It's a huge feedback loop.

• Locked thread