Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will finally attempt a brisket this weekend. How far in advance do I want to season it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I will finally attempt a brisket this weekend. How far in advance do I want to season it?

If you want to make it all Texas like, just liberally apply salt and pepper right before you put it on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys use to monitor the temp of your smoker and meat? I was looking at the Thermoworks ThermaQ options which seem nice but pricey. I was also thinking a wireless remote option would be nice to have but wasn't sure if any of them were worth a drat.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

What do you guys use to monitor the temp of your smoker and meat? I was looking at the Thermoworks ThermaQ options which seem nice but pricey. I was also thinking a wireless remote option would be nice to have but wasn't sure if any of them were worth a drat.

This: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/maverick-et-732-redi-check

I am using it at the moment. Sitting inside while 'working' and the brisket is in the back yard, cooking away.

Grill internal temp is 248, brisket temp is 183. I've wrapped it in foil and will bring it up to 195 before i rest it.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
I've got a HeaterMeter setup for my Vision Classic (Costco BGE knockoff), and it is phenomenal. After brief setup and lighting the coals, the entire cook is 100% hands off. Not really a budget approach though, unless you happen to have the major components laying around already. That said it can't be beat for the price.

Thanks for all your hard work, CapnBry.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
For just monitoring pit and meat temps I'll second the Maverick, its worked great for me.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

I have their previous model, with what they called their BBQ kit: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html

I use to have a Maverick, worked alright, just wanted something guaranteed to be more accurate, so I splurged for the ThermoWorks product.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Foil? I've seen the YouTube videos ( http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ39yYxeBk ) and I'm pretty sure he wraps in brown butcher paper, not foil. At least that's how it was when I've gone (and they let me see the pits).

Woof! Woof! posted:

He definitely doesn't wrap his brisket in foil

Ah, sorry for loving that up. He did the pulled pork in foil on Youtube, and then I watched the Youtube where he and some other dude were doing brisket in three different wrappers - foil, butcher paper, and unwrapped. Forgot that the butcher paper was his regular thing.

Woof! Woof! posted:

and you're right - you can definitely move the brisket into an oven. His argument would probably be that keeping it on the smoker keeps it more aligned with "tradition."

That's about what I thought. I usually do my pulled pork smoker -> oven, and I was just wondering if there was something I was missing there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Just picked up 5 lbs. of ribeye cut at 2" thickness. What's my best time/temp for smoking it? I have a wireless thermometer and can pull it at the right time, but what's my starting temp and timeframe gonna look like? I've done pork all day and assume this doesn't need/can't handle it.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Aliquid posted:

Just picked up 5 lbs. of ribeye cut at 2" thickness. What's my best time/temp for smoking it? I have a wireless thermometer and can pull it at the right time, but what's my starting temp and timeframe gonna look like? I've done pork all day and assume this doesn't need/can't handle it.

I do internal of 115. Thick steaks, two inches? Maybe an hour to get there. I smoke at like, 200 degrees or less.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I've never done a straight brisket, though I've done a bunch of cured briskets ( corned beef, pastrami, Montreal smoked meat). I know that traditionally you just hit it right before it goes on, but knowing what I've learned about meat science from doing many other projects I'd recommend hitting liberally with salt a few days before and then a salt-free rub right before smoking.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

If I'm really trying hard, i'll brine my briskets overnight to 24 hours, then Rub overnight to 24 hours then onto the smoker. When I'm not trying that hard I'll typically either brine overnight and rub right before it goes on, or super lazy mode, just rub before it goes on.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Woof! Woof! posted:

I do internal of 115.

Isn't that rather raw? I like a bloody steak as much as the next guy, but that's like still blue in the middle.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:stare: Rare is 130-135.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

coronaball posted:

Isn't that rather raw? I like a bloody steak as much as the next guy, but that's like still blue in the middle.

Yeah that's dumb of me, idk if i just typed it wrong or my brain just completely took a walk, I mean 135

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Steaks are meant for sous vide imo. Not a cut to smoke.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

sellouts posted:

Steaks are meant for sous vide imo. Not a cut to smoke.

More down to personal choice, surely?

Nothing wrong with a smoke and sear - especially on the fattier cuts like ribeye.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Jamsta posted:

More down to personal choice, surely?

Nothing wrong with a smoke and sear - especially on the fattier cuts like ribeye.

Agreed. I've really enjoyed the cowboy steaks that I've smoked for a couple hours and then seared off.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Agreed. I've really enjoyed the cowboy steaks that I've smoked for a couple hours and then seared off.

Wouldn't you want to sear and then smoke to prevent overcooking the interior? For example, if using this approach with sous vide instead of smoking, it would be recommended to sear prior to puddling the steaks rather than after for the same reason.

I suppose you could smoke to a lower than desired internal temperature, and then sear, but if you are bringing the internal temperature to where you want and then searing, you'll end up with overcooked steak. Switching it around though, you should be able to get a nice sear and then smoke till the temp is just where you want it.

I eat baby skin fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 8, 2015

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I eat baby skin posted:

Wouldn't you want to sear and then smoke to prevent overcooking the interior? For example, if using this approach with sous vide instead of smoking, it would be recommended to sear prior to puddling the steaks rather than after for the same reason.

I suppose you could smoke to a lower than desired internal temperature, and then sear, but if you are bringing the internal temperature to where you want and then searing, you'll end up with overcooked steak. Switching it around though, you should be able to get a nice sear and then smoke till the temp is just where you want it.

Reverse sear is a pretty effective method and for Kamado cookers, it's way easier than searing first. And you're right, you smoke it to about 110F then sear it and it'll be perfect.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I usually pull it off, and let it rest until the temperature drops 5-10 degrees, then do the sear. It works even on giant 7lb roasts with a very small chance of overcooking beyond the very surface. Searing works best at the end too, because you've dried out the surface over the cook, removing browning's worst enemy. I cook all my beef and pork roasts at 275F. Pull steaks at 125-130F then let them rest, and finish stovetop in cast iron with some oil. I've had too many problems with not putting enough fuel in the BGE to get it up past 600F for the sear without starting to peter out.

I feel like cooking steaks any way besides on a grill is a waste of meat. With a sous vide machine, sure it is cooked perfectly but I just miss the flavor that comes from that delicious smoke. What's the point of texture with no flavor!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I eat baby skin posted:

What?

You sous vide then your sear. With a red hot pan or torch you get a great sear with like a millimeter of steak not done to your puddle temp.

Same concept applies here.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Searing before sous vide doesn't work that well, you'd still need to sear afterwards. I agree with the earlier poster who also pointed out you'll dry the surface out while smoking which will make it easier to sear.

I'd think about freezing the steak for an hour or so before smoking to keep the core temperature down.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

I eat baby skin posted:

For example, if using this approach with sous vide instead of smoking, it would be recommended to sear prior to puddling the steaks rather than after for the same reason.

You're like, uniformly wrong here. Nobody of authority recommends a pre-sear for sous vide. The crust would be ruined by the time spent in the bag, and for what? You don't preserve juices by searing - little moisture is lost because sous vide cooks in a contained, mildly pressurized environment.

Moreover, how does a pre-sear prevent overcooking the interior? Is your argument that the meat is colder and thusly inhibits heat transfer to the interior?

I eat baby skin posted:

but if you are bringing the internal temperature to where you want and then searing, you'll end up with overcooked steak.

This is incorrect, google sous vide steak temps for a litany of information to the contrary.

I eat baby skin posted:

Switching it around though, you should be able to get a nice sear and then smoke till the temp is just where you want it.

Why do you believe this? Is your concern is that the maillard reaction (as opposed to your aforementioned doneness argument) is limited by a cooked steak (versus a raw steak at the start of the cook)? How do you reconcile that with the subsiquent cooking process that will certainly degrade the quality of crust? Do you not agree that this would also degrade the crust? Certainly sous vide in a bag is going to aversely affect the crust, since it's a wet, enclosed environment that will saturate the dry crust.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Woof! Woof! posted:

You're like, uniformly wrong here. Nobody of authority recommends a pre-sear for sous vide. The crust would be ruined by the time spent in the bag, and for what? You don't preserve juices by searing - little moisture is lost because sous vide cooks in a contained, mildly pressurized environment.

Moreover, how does a pre-sear prevent overcooking the interior? Is your argument that the meat is colder and thusly inhibits heat transfer to the interior?

This is incorrect, google sous vide steak temps for a litany of information to the contrary.

Why do you believe this? Is your concern is that the maillard reaction (as opposed to your aforementioned doneness argument) is limited by a cooked steak (versus a raw steak at the start of the cook)? How do you reconcile that with the subsiquent cooking process that will certainly degrade the quality of crust? Do you not agree that this would also degrade the crust? Certainly sous vide in a bag is going to aversely affect the crust, since it's a wet, enclosed environment that will saturate the dry crust.

Jeez dude chill the gently caress out. I asked a question regarding my suggestion, which I thought was a better approach. I never said I was absolutely correct and you were 100% wrong to do anything differently. As for your points:

There are plenty of recommendations out there to pre-sear before you sous vide, you can find them yourself if you do a quick search for it like you suggested to me.

A pre-sear prevents overcooking the interior because the interior will not reach temperature during the sear, and the hot external temperature will reach equilibrium with the water bath until the internal temperature is reached, which will be faster than without a sear. The temperature will never get above the desired internal temperature though because the water bath will dissipate the heat produced by the sear. Whereas searing after reaching internal temperature would cause overcooking because the perfectly cooked interior of the steak would continue to get hotter with the post-sear, albeit much less so if you use a torch to sear them, but I don't use a torch to sear my steaks. This is how thermal equilibrium works.

I agree that puddling the steak will degrade the quality of the crust, but I would still prefer a steak with a slightly softer crust than an overcooked steak though.

After seeing some of the other replies, I am convinced that it is probably better to sear after puddling the steak, while still making sure to take the steak out prior to reaching the desired internal temperature since searing will raise it, just as the first person to respond to me (Engineer Joe) suggested.

Basically what I am saying is, other posters got your point across more effectively and more accurately to me without simultaneously coming off as an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

I eat baby skin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 8, 2015

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

I eat baby skin posted:

Jeez dude chill the gently caress out. I asked a question regarding my suggestion, which I thought was a better approach. I never said I was absolutely correct and you were 100% wrong to do anything differently. As for your points:

There are plenty of recommendations out there to pre-sear before you sous vide, you can find them yourself if you do a quick search for it like you suggested to me.

A pre-sear prevents overcooking the interior because the interior will not reach temperature during the sear, and the hot external temperature will reach equilibrium with the water bath until the internal temperature is reached, which will be faster than without a sear. The temperature will never get above the desired internal temperature though because the water bath will dissipate the heat produced by the sear. Whereas searing after reaching internal temperature would cause overcooking because the perfectly cooked interior of the steak would continue to get hotter with the post-sear, albeit much less so if you use a torch to sear them, but I don't use a torch to sear my steaks. This is how thermal equilibrium works.

I agree that puddling the steak will degrade the quality of the crust, but I would still prefer a steak with a slightly softer crust than an overcooked steak though.

After seeing some of the other replies, I am convinced that it is probably better to sear after puddling the steak, while still making sure to take the steak out prior to reaching the desired internal temperature since searing will raise it, just as the first person to respond to me (Engineer Joe) suggested.

Basically what I am saying is, other posters got your point across more effectively and more accurately to me without simultaneously coming off as an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

I'm sorry you find me an insufferable rear end in a top hat don't let it ruin your day.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
So I've been put in charge of smoking pork shoulders (from Costco) for maybe 50 people. Will be the star of the show but won't be all there is to eat. I'm away from home and without a real smoker. We have a full bag of Apple pellets but I'm worried I won't get enough smoke flavor. Any tips for using the traeger that I should know? There will probably be enough food that even if the pork was stolen we would all be full anyways. Thinking 25lbs pre cook might be enough but I've never done such a large batch or for such a large crowd.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Traegers, especially with the Traeger brand pellets, do seem to give a milder smoke flavor than other methods I have used. Use a good, flavorful rub and start the shoulders (I use a variant of Meathead's Memphis rub) at 225 at least 12 hours before you want to eat. Mine took about 12.5 hours to hit 201 internal. I have a Texas and it would have no issue accommodating 25-30 pounds of shoulders (that is, 4-6 good size pieces), but if you're on a smaller unit, you may have issues. The nice thing about the Traeger is that you can start the cook and then go to sleep without having to tend the fire. If the meat's done early, wrap in foil and towels and put in a cooler until just before eating time, then shred them up. If you want more smoke flavor, you can use a 100% flavor wood pellet, or you can add an AMAZEN smoker or similar.

Oh, and a full bag (20#) is good for a 12-hour cook. I figure I used a little more than a pound an hour for my recent overnight. On the off chance that you run out of fire, foil 'em and put 'em in the oven at 225-250 until done, then into the cooler to rest until eating time.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 9, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I eat baby skin posted:

The crust isn't slightly softer. It's mush. And stupid.

You aren't overcooking a steak when you loving sear it correctly. Stop it. That's not how searing works. Just take your embarrassment of being categorically incorrect and offering the worst advice you could cook up in your head and don't dwell on how the other person went about calling you out on your nonsense.

If people want to smoke steaks to each their own I guess!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Update: I didn't sous vide the ribeye. It turned out great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

El Jebus posted:

So I've been put in charge of smoking pork shoulders (from Costco) for maybe 50 people. Will be the star of the show but won't be all there is to eat. I'm away from home and without a real smoker. We have a full bag of Apple pellets but I'm worried I won't get enough smoke flavor. Any tips for using the traeger that I should know? There will probably be enough food that even if the pork was stolen we would all be full anyways. Thinking 25lbs pre cook might be enough but I've never done such a large batch or for such a large crowd.

General rule for pulled pork is about a 50-60% loss of raw weight after smoking (depending on how much fat and membrane you remove). Assume most people will eat 1/4 to 1/3 lb of meat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wouldn't that be just 2-3 shoulders? To me, that doesn't seem like enough for 50. Pork shoulders are so cheap I would aim pretty high, worst case you have delicious leftovers you can send home with guests (or hoard).

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jo3sh posted:

Traegers, especially with the Traeger brand pellets, do seem to give a milder smoke flavor than other methods I have used. Use a good, flavorful rub and start the shoulders (I use a variant of Meathead's Memphis rub) at 225 at least 12 hours before you want to eat. Mine took about 12.5 hours to hit 201 internal. I have a Texas and it would have no issue accommodating 25-30 pounds of shoulders (that is, 4-6 good size pieces), but if you're on a smaller unit, you may have issues. The nice thing about the Traeger is that you can start the cook and then go to sleep without having to tend the fire. If the meat's done early, wrap in foil and towels and put in a cooler until just before eating time, then shred them up. If you want more smoke flavor, you can use a 100% flavor wood pellet, or you can add an AMAZEN smoker or similar.

Oh, and a full bag (20#) is good for a 12-hour cook. I figure I used a little more than a pound an hour for my recent overnight. On the off chance that you run out of fire, foil 'em and put 'em in the oven at 225-250 until done, then into the cooler to rest until eating time.

Thanks! Yeah, we are gonna pick up more pellets the day before. Unfortunately he has a smaller traeger. Maybe I'll see if my brother can bring the old brinkmann bullet smoker out and let me use that too. I'd be comfortable enough to run it overnight without issue.

BraveUlysses posted:

General rule for pulled pork is about a 50-60% loss of raw weight after smoking (depending on how much fat and membrane you remove). Assume most people will eat 1/4 to 1/3 lb of meat.

I thought it was about 30% loss plus bone? I'll be doing the Costco butts so they will be boneless.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

I eat baby skin posted:

It's been fairly well covered here, but I smoke them to an internal temperature of 115 and then sear them to completion. The entire inside is perfectly cooked, the outside has an amazing crust. This is much better, especially with bone-in, because it ensures a consistent temp throughout before the sear.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

Dr. Pangloss posted:

It's been fairly well covered here, but I smoke them to an internal temperature of 115 and then sear them to completion. The entire inside is perfectly cooked, the outside has an amazing crust. This is much better, especially with bone-in, because it ensures a consistent temp throughout before the sear.

Thanks, yeah, this was what I took to be the best method from all that poo poo, which was coincidentally what the first reply after my post by Engineer Joe said.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

El Jebus posted:

I thought it was about 30% loss plus bone? I'll be doing the Costco butts so they will be boneless.

I only do bone-in in but I've always had the same result of about 50% loss.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

El Jebus posted:

I'll be doing the Costco butts so they will be boneless.

The Costco butts I used to get always had bones in them. Did they recently make them boneless? Or maybe it is different brand or whatever at different stores?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Slow smoking meat: butts butts butts butts

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Canuckistan posted:

Slow smoking meat: butts butts butts butts

Oh my god
Becky, look at that butt
Its so big
It looks like one of those bbq guys girlfriends
Who understands those bbq guys