Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Well, so far I'm still having trouble actually implementing how ASL Starter Kit 1 actually works. After studying the book and reviewing some tutorials my mind starts to seize as I put the counters to paper.

Any other particularly well done lets plays or anything along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

Not sure whether to be angry or relieved:

I'm angry

Come to the UK, I'll play it with you :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Come to the UK, I'll play it with you :v:

Well, a 2 hour flight is very little compared to a 50-hour campaign.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Zombie #246 posted:

Well, so far I'm still having trouble actually implementing how ASL Starter Kit 1 actually works. After studying the book and reviewing some tutorials my mind starts to seize as I put the counters to paper.

If there's any particular issue giving you trouble I'll do a mini-LP right in this very thread!

I would do a full thread for "Retaking Vierville" or something simple like that, but I feel like people would just be bored. If there's one thing I love, it's solo ASL.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Zombie #246 posted:

This playlist does a decent job.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

COOL CORN posted:

If there's any particular issue giving you trouble I'll do a mini-LP right in this very thread!

I would do a full thread for "Retaking Vierville" or something simple like that, but I feel like people would just be bored. If there's one thing I love, it's solo ASL.

The more the merrier, I would greatly appreciate it.

Foehammer posted:

This playlist does a decent job.

Thanks for this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just picked up the World In Flames Final Edition Deluxe from a guy for $40

Where did my life go so wrong?...

:negative:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Is WiF the one that has that gigantic spiral production track?

I think so? Not sure yet. I'll know Friday!

It's this mess:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ooohhh so THAT's a monster game.

I love the little attached Finland map. Why is it smaller than the others?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

Ooohhh so THAT's a monster game.

I love the little attached Finland map. Why is it smaller than the others?

Who knows. There have been like 20 expansions to WIF over the years. The version I have coming to me includes a lot of them (hence: The Final Edition Deluxe). Planes are an expansion, mechanized divisions are an expansion, factories are an expansion, Asia is an expansion, America is an expansion... I like to think that when WIF was first produced, it was just a 2-hex board with a German unit and a Russian unit on a counter sheet. It's just grown from there.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What's the best counter clipper? Not fingernail clippers.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Lord Frisk posted:

What's the best counter clipper? Not fingernail clippers.

I use this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Radius-Corner-Rounder-Punch-Cutter/dp/B008CG7D1S/

I sometimes wish I'd gotten this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Cutter-Rounder/dp/B00G2G340O/

efb

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How do you like the cheaper version? Does it have corner guides? Should I stride where you faltered?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Got to play a 3-player game of Space Empires 4X today. Sadly one player was new so we didn't use any advanced rules, but it was still a lot of fun. I was set back a little with a turn one black hole destroying a scout + colony ship, but recovered well enough and focused on economy/tech for a while, including an early Terraforming. Blue (the other player who had played before) found a Space Wreck between us, I smashed his little fleet with my own (weak Cruiser, 1 scout vs his 3 scouts I think) but he hit back before I could recover it. At least the CA destroyed more than it cost. He had a sort of Maginot Line of shipyards on 3 planets at our border, I advanced around them instead and hit one of his other worlds. Green also hit one of Blue's satellite worlds, so he was a bit stretched and the immobile defenses weren't that great. A Base seemed like it would chew up 2x Battlecruiser 3x Cruiser for a while, but eventually the bigger ships won. They pulled back for a couple of turns rather than pressing, though.

My breakthrough squad of 2x Cruiser 4x Destroyer (all fully upgraded Attack/Defence, and some movement) threatened many of Blue's planets including the homeworld. Blue felt that if he reinforced I might not attack, instead slowly squeezing his other planets to the point that he would get squished by either of us anyway. So he wanted to force the issue that turn in a large gamble, while also sending a fleet towards my home. His shipyards fired first, savaging my DDs but a fully defended Cruiser is hard for them to hit, eventually I took them down - but was one hit short of wiping out the planet after two turns of siege. I bid high for turn order on the next round to make sure I could shoot again before he could reinforce, and managed the win. Green had a very weird sort of kingmaking play available, he could outbid me but choose Blue to go first -- he chose not to do that, but it definitely feels like a weak spot in the free-for-all conquest game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

rchandra posted:

Got to play a 3-player game of Space Empires 4X today. Sadly one player was new so we didn't use any advanced rules, but it was still a lot of fun. I was set back a little with a turn one black hole destroying a scout + colony ship, but recovered well enough and focused on economy/tech for a while, including an early Terraforming. Blue (the other player who had played before) found a Space Wreck between us, I smashed his little fleet with my own (weak Cruiser, 1 scout vs his 3 scouts I think) but he hit back before I could recover it. At least the CA destroyed more than it cost. He had a sort of Maginot Line of shipyards on 3 planets at our border, I advanced around them instead and hit one of his other worlds. Green also hit one of Blue's satellite worlds, so he was a bit stretched and the immobile defenses weren't that great. A Base seemed like it would chew up 2x Battlecruiser 3x Cruiser for a while, but eventually the bigger ships won. They pulled back for a couple of turns rather than pressing, though.

My breakthrough squad of 2x Cruiser 4x Destroyer (all fully upgraded Attack/Defence, and some movement) threatened many of Blue's planets including the homeworld. Blue felt that if he reinforced I might not attack, instead slowly squeezing his other planets to the point that he would get squished by either of us anyway. So he wanted to force the issue that turn in a large gamble, while also sending a fleet towards my home. His shipyards fired first, savaging my DDs but a fully defended Cruiser is hard for them to hit, eventually I took them down - but was one hit short of wiping out the planet after two turns of siege. I bid high for turn order on the next round to make sure I could shoot again before he could reinforce, and managed the win. Green had a very weird sort of kingmaking play available, he could outbid me but choose Blue to go first -- he chose not to do that, but it definitely feels like a weak spot in the free-for-all conquest game.

I just picked this up at my FLGS. What's your official take on it? I've read enough about it to know that it's not "perfect", but it looks like I oughta enjoy it.

Also, what's your storage solution? It came with 11 bags (thanks GMT) but I'm wondering how to divide up the counters. I tend to stick with labeled baggies for laziness and monetary reasons, but I don't know how to split this one up.

Coincidentally it's also why I asked about counter clippers.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Lord Frisk posted:

I just picked this up at my FLGS. What's your official take on it? I've read enough about it to know that it's not "perfect", but it looks like I oughta enjoy it.

Also, what's your storage solution? It came with 11 bags (thanks GMT) but I'm wondering how to divide up the counters. I tend to stick with labeled baggies for laziness and monetary reasons, but I don't know how to split this one up.

Coincidentally it's also why I asked about counter clippers.

I got some bead boxes from Michaels. I have one box for each color and 2 more boxes that have the home sector pieces for 2 colors and a share of the common counters. It works fairly well and I was able to fit all 6 boxes in the Close Encounters box with room for baggies of the counters I doubt I'll ever use (ground forces).

You should get Close Encounters if you don't already have it, I wouldn't play without it. The main problem with the game is that it requires aggressive play. If everybody wants to sit back and tech up you're going to have a very long, very boring game. If people are aggressive from the start the game is much more interesting. I'd also recommend skipping the basic rules if your opponent is not an idiot. They don't add much complexity and the game is pretty boring without them (IMO of course). 4 player free for all can be a bit of a slog too, it's hard to get a leg up on an opponent without exposing yourself to another and this basically paralyzed the people I was playing with, leading to the above problem of no aggression making the game horrible.

I played a 1v1 on a smallish map once and that was quite good. I rushed raiders and that allowed me to control the tempo of the game until I got some carrier groups up. That was my opponent's first game and we dove right in with the complex rules and most of close encounters and he didn't really have any problem picking it up.

Another tip would be to laminate your production sheets and get some wet erase markers, then you don't have to worry about running out of the sheets.

It's got flaws but overall I think it's a good game. My friend from the 1v1 has been bugging me to play again lately so he must have liked it too.

I've got Replicators on P500, looking forward to the random assortment of stuff that seems to be the hallmark of a Space Empires expansion.

EDIT Actually I suppose my biggest complaint about the game is that it has too much post-decision randomness. Any fight between fairly evenly matched forces comes down to a luckfest and sometimes it's pretty hard to get a significant advantage. That's more of a personal preference kind of thing (and maybe a "I suck at this" kind of thing) rather than an objective flaw of the game though.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 9, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

I really enjoy it solo and so far have enjoyed it multiplayer, but teams might be better than FFA. The bookkeeping seemed pretty weird at first but it flows really easily, since you can't downgrade tech / upgrades (barring very odd play) just make a few big circles (such as Exploration on every CA) as needed.

I use 5 small Wake Fishing lure boxes - one per player colour and one for the number and colony counters, with small bags for the home system pieces, aliens, and space markers. Each box has 8 compartments, mostly I keep the ships in logical pairs/triples. Fits nicely in the game box, would close properly if the rules/pad weren't in. Using just the bags, I'd use two or three per player: (simple / fancy) ships and system markers. For multiplayer I'm starting to think that having a sorted box of the number counters isn't great, maybe that fifth box should just be a bag. it is convenient for solo though.

My experience with teaching new players is to not use the advanced rules since it can overwhelm with choice, but there are a lot of people who disagree. The new player today didn't really find the game clicking until halfway through as is. Much like the Mage Knight expansion, it's not any one troublesome thing but just a huge amount of little things, if you are familiar with that game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love this quote about World In Flames so much that I have it saved as a text file on my computer.

quote:

I had a friend [whose] wife filed for divorce and one of her claims was his games (and opponents) were more important to him.

He found out about a month before the final hearing that he was going to lose the house so he got a one month continuance just so we could complete the 5 player campaign game of WiF taking place in his spare bedroom.

This is the best wargame ever produced.

Anyway, my buddy and I started a game of Day of Days tonight, the newest entry in the Standard Combat Series by MMP. It's a monster, but the map is just gorgeous.

That's the initial setup. We got through turn one in about four hours, but only because each paratrooper unit has to be rolled for three times (airdrop step loss, scatter, terrain step loss), and every beach landing unit has to be rolled for to see if they drift. That took foreverrrrr... But overall the game looks like one of the simpler Normandy offerings - since it's SCS, the system rules are 6 pages, and the game-specific rules are 8 pages. Dead simple. Can't wait to play it further.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holy poo poo :awesome:

Just the fact that it perfectly fits in the table is so hawt

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey does anyone know if its possible to get a carboard backing for the Empire of the Sun map? Paper maps make me nervous.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

StashAugustine posted:

Hey does anyone know if its possible to get a carboard backing for the Empire of the Sun map? Paper maps make me nervous.

I thought the new map was going to be hard mounted?

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
My copy of Ukraine '43 finally arrived last night, I opened up the maps and realised I don't own a table large enough to play it on.

That table is gorgeous.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

StashAugustine posted:

Id probably just spring for a mounted map board. The other alternative is to use a poster frame. They're cheap and come in tons of sizes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Considering there's currently a guy with a thread playing World In Flames, all by himself, I think yours would have as much participation.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd love to see someone doing a UCS LP myself.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Considering there's currently a guy with a thread playing World In Flames, all by himself, I think yours would have as much participation.

Hm, I think if I did a full LP thread, I'd pick a bigger, full ASL scenario.

Hmmmmmm.... okay now my gears are turning. Time to look through my 500+ scenarios to find a good one.

J29 - "The Capture of Balta", that looks like a fun one. I'll do a thread.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 9, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

I'd love to see someone doing a UCS LP myself.

I'm tempted since I like how easy it looks (and it would give me a reason to play it) but I don't feel confident enough with the rules.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The rules for UCS are really easy once you get a handle on them. I wouldn't mind giving another crack at a Vassal game if one more player was interested.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

The rules for UCS are really easy once you get a handle on them. I wouldn't mind giving another crack at a Vassal game if one more player was interested.

I could be into that, for sure. I haven't played since I sold my copy, but IIRC, everything you could need to play it is available online (charts, rules, etc.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

Hm, I think if I did a full LP thread, I'd pick a bigger, full ASL scenario.

Hmmmmmm.... okay now my gears are turning. Time to look through my 500+ scenarios to find a good one.

J29 - "The Capture of Balta", that looks like a fun one. I'll do a thread.

Will read the hell out of this, link it when it's up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

hit me up on #boardgoons on synirc if anyone is interested on UCS

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Lord Frisk posted:

How do you like the cheaper version? Does it have corner guides? Should I stride where you faltered?

The cheaper one does have corner guides, but you still need to take your time and visually confirm that they're aligned properly. The handle is coated in this rubbery grip that gave me a blister after an hour of use :saddowns:

Also it's height-limited to clipping 1.5 mm thick counters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been using the non-deluxe one and it works pretty well. Once you get into the groove it's pretty easy to do it without really paying that much attention. I usually have the cutter on my non-dominant hand and just feed the counters with my dominant hand, it becomes really easy to align them quickly once you get used to it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

Will read the hell out of this, link it when it's up.

Oh god what have I done :ohdear:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730245

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Oh god what have I done :ohdear:

Something beautiful. You gave me a flamethrower.

I've named her Lucille.

Tekopo posted:

How do you usually go with this? PbEM? The Red Winter thread has piqued my interest, and I want to play more hex and counter games.

I'm spending more time looking at that map than working, dammit. Bloody Finns and their enviable defensive positions!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Usually we play Live but PBEM can be done as well, although it is a bit clunky and takes too much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Hey fatso, I still want to read your Korean diaries.