Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Gearhead posted:

This is probably the most complete attempt I've seen so far, from over on reddit.

Sick, thank you!

Zaggitz posted:

I'm about to finally hit the HW content. I heard they switched up all the voice actors, is the English dub actually good now? Or should I just leave it on japanese so at least im not cringing through every cutscene.

Going to be honest, my friend and I are not fond of Merlwyb's new voice actress. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The biggest thing about voices improving in the dub is having better direction, overall, and time to actually get stuff done.

FFXIV changed from a pie in the sky chance to recoup some of the money they had bled out trying to get 1.0 out into an actual resounding success for the company. Priorities changed from: 'Get this thing making us money before the board fires us all.' to 'IT PRINTS MONEY!'

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

I'm about to finally hit the HW content. I heard they switched up all the voice actors, is the English dub actually good now? Or should I just leave it on japanese so at least im not cringing through every cutscene.

The new voice acting is all very good. It sounds a lot less... anime? Unfortunately, Urianger is no longer voiced by Gideon Emery, which was the only redeeming quality that character had.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
New Admiral Fhqwhgads is way worse but everyone else is much better.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Looking at collectibles and leves, it seems like leves are still a fantastic way to level crafting 50+ until you need scrips around 56/57. Does that sound about right?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

nuru posted:

Looking at collectibles and leves, it seems like leves are still a fantastic way to level crafting 50+ until you need scrips around 56/57. Does that sound about right?

Even past 56/57 its still a good way to level. But scrips is better.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Whizbang posted:

The only thing more awesome about this reference is that I'm now imagining that you probably had to look up the correct spelling of 'fhqwhgads'.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Holy poo poo, the Alexander OST owns. It's not what I expected, at all, but it's good. It's like Nine Inch Nails electro pop. That's a genre, right?

With the new Ninja changes, how hosed am I if I have a bit of lag? I'm trying to decide between Ninja and Monk, and I'm not sure which one I want to go with...Ninja looks super fun but if I play ninja I have to deal with other people who ALSO play ninja, and those people are always terrible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nuru posted:

Leves are better than collectibles unless you need scrips, yes.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure Soken did the vocals for the Alexander songs too :allears:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

what if alex savage but every mechanic has divebombs

Boten Anna posted:

I'm pretty sure Soken did the vocals for the Alexander songs too :allears:

Yeah the Final Boss theme is definitely him doing his Titan voice, I can figure out 90% of the lyrics for the other boss theme but gently caress if I know what the hell the final boss theme says, I think I hear "go boom" and "'til your neck breaks" at points

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

In terms of the time it takes, yeah. But personally I don't really like leves, because they're basically exchanging money for experience. I prefer to grind it out on intermediate materials, like ingots or cloth. It takes longer, but you usually end up making money since you can sell the product or turn it into other things. Also that's pretty much the only way to effectively use the new crafting manuals, since the buff they give only lasts 20 minutes.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Espilae posted:

The only thing more awesome about this reference is that I'm now imagining that you probably had to look up the correct spelling of 'fhqwhgads'.

Of course not, it's spelled just like it sounds.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Fister Roboto posted:

The new voice acting is all very good. It sounds a lot less... anime? Unfortunately, Urianger is no longer voiced by Gideon Emery, which was the only redeeming quality that character had.

Urianger's terrible faux-Shakespearean bullshit is infinitely grating in a way that makes voice casting/direction decisions totally irrelevant. I'm usually not one for "OH I HATE VIDEO GAME CHARACTER SO MUCH" and hell even terrible faux-Shakespeare usually doesn't bother me that much but there's something about Urianger specifically I just can't stand.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 9, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Whizbang posted:

RIP Jean Gilpin. She really was the best voice for the part. I enjoyed the more-likable Meredith treatment.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
New VA is improved almost across the board, but Merlwyb and Urianger are hosed up now.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Urianger:

2.55 had the whole "Urianger with the ascians!" moment. But I don't remember it ever coming up in 3.0. Did I miss some side dialog?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Thumbtacks posted:

With the new Ninja changes, how hosed am I if I have a bit of lag? I'm trying to decide between Ninja and Monk, and I'm not sure which one I want to go with...Ninja looks super fun but if I play ninja I have to deal with other people who ALSO play ninja, and those people are always terrible.

Mudras are still workable, but you'll lose a little bit of DPS when it comes up because you'll have some hangtime on the GCD while doing your inputs. It's 100% playable but slowmudra feels like crap compared to what you're actually supposed to be able to do.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

Urianger:

2.55 had the whole "Urianger with the ascians!" moment. But I don't remember it ever coming up in 3.0. Did I miss some side dialog?

It seems to be more Urianger is consorting with the envoy, or -maybe- just meeting with the envoy (that's an awfully lame post-credits scene if so though), who does not necessarily share all the goals of the other ascians. Whatever it implied, it hasn't come to a head yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

Urianger:

Unukalhai is the name of the brightest star in the constellation Serpentarius.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So what gathering/perception are we looking at needing to get red scrips on each of the DoL?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

nuru posted:

Urianger:

I don't think it's come up yet. The Ascians are one of the game's biggest overarching plots, along with the Empire, so a lot of stuff with them is a slow burn. Elidibus seems to be pursuing a more subtle, less directly hostile strategy than Lahabrea was, and I'm sure meeting with Urianger is part of that, just like when he decided to chat the WoL up. My gut read is that Urianger isn't deliberately trying to work against the Scions, but he may have entered some kind of alliance with Elidibus in the hope of accomplishing... something, we can't say what yet. Either way it's a plot point that'll come up later, probably once we have a clearer idea of what Elidibus's endgame is.

Fister Roboto posted:

I never would have caught that. I haven't cleared Ravana EX yet but given his introduction and Urianger's caginess it would make complete sense if he is Elidibus, or at least connected to him. It would also explain why Urianger might go along with Elidibus, if he thought the Scions could get some advantage over primals out of it. The more I think about it the more obvious it seems but in my defense I know less than jack poo poo about constellations and I honestly forgot about the Urianger scene until it got brought up just now.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 9, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Fister Roboto posted:

It really isn't that good a disguise.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

i kinda assumed something was about to break bad once he handed off the white magicite, but it seemed to have worked like it was supposed to

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Magil Zeal posted:

It seems to be more Urianger is consorting with the envoy, or -maybe- just meeting with the envoy (that's an awfully lame post-credits scene if so though), who does not necessarily share all the goals of the other ascians. Whatever it implied, it hasn't come to a head yet.

I bet it has something to do with the Warrior of Darkness, given that all the other named ascians are dead at this point. I bet his betrayal is that he ends up helping them get to Eorzea or something.

That reminds me, it was weird how it was never explained what they were intending to do in Azys Lla. I guess the only reason the elf pope wanted to go there was to go along with the ascians until he could catch them off guard, since he totally had everything he needed to turn into King Thordan before leaving Ishgard. But they never explained what they were intending to do with the singularity reactor, did they?

Maybe it involved the warring triad and thus be the story for the FF6 24-man. That would make sense.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's the word on which crafting class has the cheapest turn-ins for scrips?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The 24 man will be moogles, a hide and seek raid.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

pvp is cool and fun and good and p much the biggest barrier to enjoying it is the fact no one queues for it because everyone just says it's bad
This seems accurate. There's a lot of people who just loathe PvP in general and will take every opportunity to tell you how it doesn't have a place in their MMO.

The few Frontlines I've managed to sneak into were loads of fun and a nice break from running all over the place to finish up my MSQ. I don't think you can really discuss balancing until you get into competitive small-scale arenas and Wolves' Den queues seem even more non-existent than Frontline queues.

No one really has a reasonable answer for why it's bad, they just say it's bad. With the GCD in this game and lack of crowd control compared to other MMOs it seems like this game would be more inviting to new PvPers.

I suspect the same people who think DPS analysis is cancerous are the same people who tell you an active PvP community will ruin the game.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Begemot posted:

I bet it has something to do with the Warrior of Darkness, given that all the other named ascians are dead at this point. I bet his betrayal is that he ends up helping them get to Eorzea or something.

That reminds me, it was weird how it was never explained what they were intending to do in Azys Lla. I guess the only reason the elf pope wanted to go there was to go along with the ascians until he could catch them off guard, since he totally had everything he needed to turn into King Thordan before leaving Ishgard. But they never explained what they were intending to do with the singularity reactor, did they?

Maybe it involved the warring triad and thus be the story for the FF6 24-man. That would make sense.

Thordan needed to go to Azys Lla to use the aether in its reactor to become a primal. There was infinitely more aether in that reactor than any kind of crystals could amass, and he had the Heavens' Ward bring the Eye to give him even more power. The consumption of Lahabrea was just icing on the cake. (And kind of a 'hey, we can kill Ascians way better than you, idiot WoL' arm flex)

I don't know where the Heavens' Ward were getting the power to go Knights of the Round before Azys Lla though. Maybe the Eye?

vanbags posted:

This seems accurate. There's a lot of people who just loathe PvP in general and will take every opportunity to tell you how it doesn't have a place in their MMO.

The few Frontlines I've managed to sneak into were loads of fun and a nice break from running all over the place to finish up my MSQ. I don't think you can really discuss balancing until you get into competitive small-scale arenas and Wolves' Den queues seem even more non-existent than Frontline queues.

No one really has a reasonable answer for why it's bad, they just say it's bad. With the GCD in this game and lack of crowd control compared to other MMOs it seems like this game would be more inviting to new PvPers.

I suspect the same people who think DPS analysis is cancerous are the same people who tell you an active PvP community will ruin the game.

The reason pvp is 'bad' is because it's split by GCs, which is horrible to balance from a population perspective and it breaks up friends that may be in different GCs for different reasons. Also swapping completely obliterates your PvP ranking so like, if you're invested into a GC, you don't want to swap because you lose all of your gear.

Hopefully this new Frontline coming in two weeks fixes this. Honestly, doing a 3 team or 4 team Frontline with players randomly being assigned to Ishgard Houses would be the best, but I have no idea if they're actually going to do this.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Begemot posted:

They actually explain what was going on there, in part through the mechanics.

The Pope was in Azys Lla intending to suck the power out of the Singularity Reactor, using the Dragon's Eye as the catalyst to START his transformation into the God Emperor of Hydelean, and completing it by slurping down the chained power of the Warring Triad. Of course, the Triad's power is, in part, what was being used to restrain them. So when the Pope starts sucking power from the Reactor to augment his and the Knights' transformations he's also undoing the bindings on the Warring Triad. Could the Knights of the Round beaten the Warring Triad? We'll never know. But what we do know is that the Warring Triad is Trouble.

EDIT:

A part of the problem is that, up until now, we have not had a full understanding of what makes a Primal a Primal, and why some Primals are more dangerous than others. An 'old' Primal, such as Ramuh.. who has existed for a long drat time as a concept.. is not an 'Elder Primal' in the same way that Bahamut or Odin are. Bahamut and Odin belong to the category of Primal that the Allagan called 'Eikon.' Each member of the Warring Triad are ALSO members of this class. Eikon (in the Allagan use of the term) do not follow the normal rules of other Primals.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 9, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doublestep posted:

Thordan needed to go to Azys Lla to use the aether in its reactor to become a primal. There was infinitely more aether in that reactor than any kind of crystals could amass, and he had the Heavens' Ward bring the Eye to give him even more power. The consumption of Lahabrea was just icing on the cake.

I don't know where the Heavens' Ward were getting the power to go Knights of the Round before Azys Lla though. Maybe the Eye?

Oh duh, I'm an idiot. They might have just imported some crystals on the sly, they apparently use them for other things besides summoning primals because there are crystal shipments that the beast tribes rob to summon their primals. Having a few around would be no big deal for a city state, but amassing a huge quantity to summon a full-on god-king would probably raise some eyebrows.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I got p weirded out today by seeing someone with a title that went something like "something Ascalonian" because I forgot that was also a thing from Final Fantasy and not just a Guild Wars 2 thing.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

:siren: Gokai Pink :siren:

thank you for saving my krakka roots from my absent-minded neglect, Enterprise thanks you for succeeding where his owner has failed

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Oddities we have seen thus far with certain Primals:

Odin -- Is not summoned at all, but instead a persistent presence haunting a SWORD. He has no worshipers.

Bahamut -- Is capable of controlling Aether ambient in the environment and can maintain his coherency even in times where he is blown to pieces. He may not even require the worshipers we killed off leading up to taking him on.

The Warring Triad -- Have no living worshipers that we know of. All indications, going by their appearances, are that the races which created them were ground up and made into the servitor chimera the Allagan made in Azys Lla. Yet they have physical presence in the world which must be ACTIVELY RESTRAINED less they tear free from their prisons and tear up the entire subcontinent. Edlibus is actively concerned that them escaping too soon (their escape is inevitable) will Ruin Everything.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I don't mean to complain but any idea what's with the maintenance?

I knew about the scheduled one yesterday but now it's down tonight as well, and 11-3 is basically my only time to play during the week. :smith:

I just beat Titan and really wanted to continue on with the storyline and figure out what's going on.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hotfix

Edit: Spoiler speculation stuff: The whole Warrior of Darkness thing's just blown my mind speculation-wise. It'd be one thing for us to have an evil counterpart but the fact that he looks like the CG Midlander just has to mean something in my mind. I mean sure, it could be just for shits and giggles but what if he's from an alternate universe where he failed the world and poo poo? FFXI had that crazy rear end Wings of the Goddess storyline so I could see the Warrior of Darkness being a similar thing. There's just so many possibilities that I just want to stop thinking about any of them.

Argas fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 9, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Catsworth posted:

I don't mean to complain but any idea what's with the maintenance?

I knew about the scheduled one yesterday but now it's down tonight as well, and 11-3 is basically my only time to play during the week. :smith:

I just beat Titan and really wanted to continue on with the storyline and figure out what's going on.

It's hotfixes so probably some of those known issues in Alexander that were in the patch notes on tuesday.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

What does that have to do with Urianger meeting with Elidibus?

Given the name, and the fact that dragons are basically magical bullshit from space and don't play by any of the rules that apply to everything else on Hydaelyn, I figured that it was a subtle hint to the fact that Unukalhai was probably one of Midgardsormr's progeny.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 9, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What does that have to do with Urianger meeting with Elidibus?

Given the name, and the fact that dragons are basically magical bullshit from space and don't play by any of the rules that apply to everything else on Hydaelyn, I figured that it was a subtle hint to the fact that Unukalhai was probably one of Midgardsormr's progeny.

since you're probably not joking: There's another character named Elidibus: an optional superboss living in Ivalice's Midnight's Deep. He was notable for being the only character in the entirety of Final Fantasy Tactics to have the Zodiac symbol of Serpentarius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

since you're probably not joking: There's another character named Elidibus: an optional superboss living in Ivalice's Midnight's Deep. He was notable for being the only character in the entirety of Final Fantasy Tactics to have the Zodiac symbol of Serpentarius.

Is that what they re-translated Deep Dungeon to be?

Anyways, I had started working on the name from an astrological perspective, with Serpentarius being "The Great Serpent", a name also attributed with Midgardsormr, and indeed, the name of one of that boss's attacks. (Well, it was translated as "Midgar Swarm", but after FF7, we all know that it's Midgardsormr.) I had completely forget about the FFT character, although the slightly different spelling of the name might have been what threw me. I still know that guy as "Eldibs". I've never played any of the remakes, only the PSX version.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 9, 2015

• Locked thread