Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I believe that's the segment where Sid says "I don't know poo poo, crybaby"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Minidust posted:

I might be misremembering, but in the build for Wrestlemania 13 it was implied that Taker vs. Sid would happen regardless of whether Sid was still the champion or not. So when Bret had a title match with Sid on Raw, Taker helped Sid win to ensure that his match at Wrestlemania would still be for the title. Bret had his whole "THIS IS BULLSHIT!" promo after that.

They mentioned a few times during the Cesaro matches that Owens would be fighting whoever had the title and I think they also said as much when Rusev was squashing guys ("but what if this chucklefuck wins??? :ohdear:"), so it seems like that's the new "rule."

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

oatgan posted:

I believe that's the segment where Sid says "I don't know poo poo, crybaby"

Greatest ad lib in pro wrestling history, IMHO.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Has anyone ever heard a fan unironically refer to the WWE's product as sports entertainment? They've been trying desperately for years to shed themselves of the "pro wrestling" label, and it doesn't seem like they've succeeded even the slightest. I've certainly never heard kids or casual fans talk about who their favorite sports entertainer is or having a desire to go to that sports entertainment show next month.

I guess tbf they stress the term WWE Superstar/Diva a lot harder, but even the preteen kid that came into my workplace wearing a John Cena shirt was begging his dad to go see wrestling, not WWE.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 8, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I have never heard anyone say "it's not wrestling, it's sports entertainment" the way some fans of comics actually have said "it's not a comic book, it's a graphic novel."

As a term of art/branding I think it only exists in the mind of Kevin Dunn and maybe a handful of other people at the top. Business-wise, it's a distinction that exists to protect WWE from having to deal with SAG or SACs.

ayn rand hand job posted:

so vince is literally every other wrestling promoter
Except for the parts where the business is surviving on a show-to-show basis and you have competition from other promoters, yeah. Cutting out that dynamic changes the business environment completely.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Thauros posted:

I guess tbf they stress the term WWE Superstar/Diva a lot harder, but even the preteen kid that came into my workplace wearing a John Cena shirt was begging his dad to go see wrestling, not WWE.

There is not a single elementary school kid in North America that does not call it wrestling, and there never will be.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I've heard people say "sports entertainment" as a description of what WWE/wrestling is but not as a replacement for the word "wrestling"

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Blast Fantasto posted:

Greatest ad lib in pro wrestling history, IMHO.

How about you, Dracula, you fat bastard

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Remember when an overzealous PR person corrected someone by saying that they don't have matches in WWE, they have entertainments?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

titties posted:

Kevin Nash thought he was dead LOL

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Halloween Jack posted:

OMG Kevin Nash WTF thought he was dead LOL

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

oatgan posted:

I've heard people say "sports entertainment" as a description of what WWE/wrestling is but not as a replacement for the word "wrestling"

imo I see sports entertainment as a subgenre of pro wrestling, like lucha, strong-style, or catch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Except for the parts where the business is surviving on a show-to-show basis and you have competition from other promoters, yeah. Cutting out that dynamic changes the business environment completely.

On not being able to unionize? Not really.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

titties posted:

That's a close second. Third is "GIMME A FUCKIN MIC"

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Thauros posted:

Has anyone ever heard a fan unironically refer to the WWE's product as sports entertainment? They've been trying desperately for years to shed themselves of the "pro wrestling" label, and it doesn't seem like they've succeeded even the slightest. I've certainly never heard kids or casual fans talk about who their favorite sports entertainer is or having a desire to go to that sports entertainment show next month.

I've never really heard sports entertainment much, but they've got lots of people fully indoctrinated on "superstar." It always sounds so absurd to me when such a bombastic word is used so casually. "Disco Inferno was one of my favorite WCW superstars."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

titties posted:

"Now coming to the ring at...I don't know, a buck and a quarter, Anorexic Annie and Karen Carpenter!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Big Sexy The Giant Killer Depeche Mode Fan The Best Ever Kevin Nash.

chinesemethdragon
Sep 6, 2009
Does anyone know of a promo from Triple H that really exemplifies how awful and boring his 02 reign of terror was? Trying to find one to show a friend how awful that period was.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

chinesemethdragon posted:

Does anyone know of a promo from Triple H that really exemplifies how awful and boring his 02 reign of terror was? Trying to find one to show a friend how awful that period was.

just tell him that triple h had a feud with booker t that was all about triple h being racist as gently caress, and triple h won the match clean

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

chinesemethdragon posted:

Pick any Raw at random from the moment he was awarded the World title in '02 through losing it to Benoit in '04. Twenty minute opening segments of Triple H alone in the ring repeating himself about how he's so much better than everyone else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Either that one, or the Katie Vick promo where HHH lays out how Kane murdered a girl. Not the video evidence though because that poo poo was hilarious.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Defiance Industries posted:

Either that one, or the Katie Vick promo where HHH lays out how Kane murdered a girl. Not the video evidence though because that poo poo was hilarious.

He also got the honor of being the person to finally unmask Kane after six years.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
None of those promos work because they're actually memorable. You need HHH droning on and on about how great he is with no direction, which is basically 90% of the Raws from that time that we've all forgotten.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What was the 45 minute HHH in a chair promo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Shane Douglas promos vs Triple H promos, go.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

triple h's promos started the slow decline of the death of the buisiness

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Shane Douglas comes across as more self-important than Triple "DX was more influential than the nwo" H

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Where does Justin Credible fit in here

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

oatgan posted:

Shane Douglas comes across as more self-important than Triple "DX was more influential than the nwo" H

Except that Shane Douglas did one of the best promos of all time

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

at least triple h has done anything ever

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Except that Shane Douglas did one of the best promos of all time

And he spent the rest of his career impotently trying to recreate it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What actually happened in that shoot fight between Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar in South Dakota?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

What actually happened in that shoot fight between Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar in South Dakota?

The closest to the truth seems to be it was extremely even and Angle may have had a slight advantage which was extremely impressive given the size difference and fact Angle had been out of competition longer.

Mar 2, 2005

OPTIC BLAST!
What's the general consensus on Rich Brennan? I find nothing online suggesting that fans either love him, or hate him. I'm surprised I haven't heard more poo poo-talking about the guy. He's genuinely the worst announcer I've seen at the WWE.

I pretty consistently watch Main Event (because it airs on TV here directly before NXT) and for weeks and weeks it's been filled with nothing but King, JBL or the non-injured Uso having blatant (usually JBL) or subtle (usually King) jabs at Brennan's horrible performance on commentary.

For me, he really stands out as very jarring... awkward pauses suggesting he's forgotten the name of the next PPV he should be plugging while talking about said PPV, forgetting to say anything or call the action for extended periods during matches, being asked direct questions from his co-announcers and simply sitting in silence and not responding...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That could be Vince yelling in his ear to call the match, don't the call the match, where's my ketchup steak mother fucker.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno, I never found him to be terrible in NXT. Sometimes I even like his calls, whenever Saxton/Graves aren't emulating JBL and diverting him from the wrestling because apparently that's how you commentate in WWE.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

Ehh, he was severely mincing his words because he had to be political, but his point wasn't entirely wrong: nWo wins in terms of immediate impact on the business, but DX had more longevity.

nWo's only good runs were when it was just Hogan/Nash/Hall, and otherwise was watered down over a much too long run that made the whole company boring. DX had multiple successful runs with multiple successful lineups, brought back at mostly the right times (excluding some of the later versions with just HBK/HHH), and mostly stuck to a small core membership.

Alain Post posted:

Where does Justin Credible fit in here

He's not just the coolest, and he's not just the best.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I would go so far as to say Justin was pretty good as a weasily little shithead who kept pulling out wins since he had Chastity and Jason and Nicole Bass to distract people. Putting him anywhere higher than that was ridiculous, but still.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I really have no strong opinion of Rich Brennan other than "it's developmental for announcers too" :shrug:

He's harmless enough

E: The only real gaffe that sticks in my head is the ending of the first Owens/Zayn match, where nobody on the desk realized that it was a TKO and were acting like it was a DQ loss for Owens before the ref handed him the belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 2, 2005

OPTIC BLAST!
Developmental for announcers? I don't know... I mean, the guy is 42 years old. When did Cole start?

Brennan's apparently a huge childhood fan of wrestling and it took him 20+ years to get into the business and he can't even master the names of the moves the wrestlers bust out. I just can't believe that he's the best they could find at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I never really noticed Brennan a whole ton on NXT... and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Maybe Vince or Dunn or whoever else is yelling in his ear during Main Event/Superstars truly is the difference. If so, I've got a new-found respect for Cole for being able to keep it together, sounding somewhat natural and keeping the show on the rails.