Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
For what it's worth a more appropriate address would be 85 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP, United Kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I don't get why you'd want to hang out with David Cameron but whatever works I guess...

I'm enjoying the second Verus book way more than the first one. Seems to be another theme it shares with Dresden...

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ookiimarukochan posted:

For what it's worth a more appropriate address would be 85 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7TP, United Kingdom

Going from the last time I was in London and google maps, is that MI6?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Ika posted:

Going from the last time I was in London and google maps, is that MI6?

It appears to be the apartments directly adjoining MI-6... so basically, yeah.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That reminded me to search for the building whose roof was completely covered in satellite dishes just before vauxhall station: 1 Wyvil Rd, London SW8 2SU, UK

Officially a broadcaster ... yeah...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That'd be the London division of the FSB. They rent it to Mossad on weekends.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Annihilation Score is out - and it gives closure to a bunch of long-open plot threads. Charlie - or Mo, the POV character - is considerably nicer to a number of roman-a-clef'd Tories than I'd be (though we only really interact with not-Theresa-May) and rather less friendly to the Met than Ben Aaronovich (It's also a bit irritating that the UK editor didn't remove various bits explaining UK cultural things for the foreign audience, but that could just be me)

Finally managed to read this. Overall I liked it. Stross sortof has a problem in that he clearly didn't plan for the Laundry series to take off like it has, he wasn't planning this many sequels, and his characters have, in RPG terms, leveled up too many times, especially after the end of the last book. So he has to either change the sort of series he's writing, or switch out the main characters, or reset them, or all three. Last book started that process (setting up a few new potential long-term characters), and this one's another step; it has a remarkably different tone from the others, it's got a different protagonist, and it apparently resets Mo's power level somehow.

Given all that I thought this one was pretty entertaining even missing a lot of the British politics jabs. There were some decently comic bits and it did a really good job of chronicling the breakdown in Bob and Mo's relationship in a believable way while also incorporating the fantasy elements. I don't think it really could have competed with the end of Rhesus Chart, this one was doing something different.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Why no book this year in April/May, isnt that the schedule Butcher has kept for the past few years?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LolitaSama posted:

Why no book this year in April/May, isnt that the schedule Butcher has kept for the past few years?

He's starting a new series and that's debuting in September.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I really, really, really liked Small Favor. Partially because the Knights vs. the Denarians is one of my favorite plots in the series so far. Making the coins be Judas's 30 pieces of silver was kind of brilliant (at least, I think this is the first time the connection was made). Based on that, and the noose around Nicodemus's neck, I'm assuming he is even more connected to Judas? Eh, whatever. [spoiler]His "death" was incredible.

I'm assuming Summer's Gruff wizard badass will come back at some point? Scary bastard. Also, I need more Kincaid. Guy's amazing, though given he's a "hellhound" or whatever, I'm assuming he'll be in the role of villain at some point.

Oh, and this is the first mention of Uriel, right, or did I miss something earlier? And he was responsible for the silver hand thing (whatever that was) saving Dresden? So he's, what, an actual archangel who has taken an interest in Harry?

I'd like to say more about it, because it was fantastic, but I started Turn Coat, and I found myself suddenly 20% in because it hooked the hell out of me. The skinwalker is creepy as hell, and most of my "Dresden thoughts" are wrapped up in that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dresden asking for the donut was my favorite part of Small Favor, and in fact probably top 3 in the entire series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ConfusedUs posted:

Dresden asking for the donut was my favorite part of Small Favor, and in fact probably top 3 in the entire series.

Yeah, that was a brilliant way out of it, and perfectly fitting.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Finally managed to read this. Overall I liked it. Stross sortof has a problem in that he clearly didn't plan for the Laundry series to take off like it has, he wasn't planning this many sequels, and his characters have, in RPG terms, leveled up too many times, especially after the end of the last book. So he has to either change the sort of series he's writing, or switch out the main characters, or reset them, or all three. Last book started that process (setting up a few new potential long-term characters), and this one's another step; it has a remarkably different tone from the others, it's got a different protagonist, and it apparently resets Mo's power level somehow.

Given all that I thought this one was pretty entertaining even missing a lot of the British politics jabs. There were some decently comic bits and it did a really good job of chronicling the breakdown in Bob and Mo's relationship in a believable way while also incorporating the fantasy elements. I don't think it really could have competed with the end of Rhesus Chart, this one was doing something different.

I think the Laundry Files are well written, it's just that they suffer from rather flat characterization.

Then again, I've only finished the third book, so I can't really say for sure.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

thrawn527 posted:

I'm assuming Summer's Gruff wizard badass will come back at some point? Scary bastard. Also, I need more Kincaid. Guy's amazing, though given he's a "hellhound" or whatever, I'm assuming he'll be in the role of villain at some point.

Language please. Heckhound.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm on holiday at the moment, and I was in a bookshop earlier and thought I'd try something new, but didn't have any ideas (lots of middle books, anyway - not many first entries in any series). Didn't have access to Internet at the time either, or I could've just looked at the first post (I did look for O'Malley since I'm really interested in that one, but I didn't see it) in this very thread!

Anyway, can anyone tell me about Simon R. Green's Secret Histories books? I saw that and thought it looked like it might be interesting, but I thought I'd see if anyone knew about it.

(I got The Children of Hurin - it's the only one I've not read other than The Unfinished Tales.)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I agree. I also really liked not having to follow Bob for a change, I was so tired of him.

Mo was pretty great this book, and I'm sad we don't get another book to follow her some more.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Annihilation Score: I thought the book was pretty good. I didn't really care for Mo before reading this book, but after getting to see things from her viewpoint and dealing with her as more than just a flavor character in Bob's story, I actually started to actively dislike her!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm on holiday at the moment, and I was in a bookshop earlier and thought I'd try something new, but didn't have any ideas (lots of middle books, anyway - not many first entries in any series). Didn't have access to Internet at the time either, or I could've just looked at the first post (I did look for O'Malley since I'm really interested in that one, but I didn't see it) in this very thread!

Anyway, can anyone tell me about Simon R. Green's Secret Histories books? I saw that and thought it looked like it might be interesting, but I thought I'd see if anyone knew about it.

(I got The Children of Hurin - it's the only one I've not read other than The Unfinished Tales.)

I would characterize all of Simon R. Greene's series as fun to read, but lacking in substance. I like the worlds he creates and most of the characters are initially interesting, however there is a lack of growth as the series progress and the plot lines are definitely recycled between series and books. He is a little too fond of throwing the rules out the window to create interesting situations, which leaves the world feeling groundless.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

I would characterize all of Simon R. Greene's series as fun to read, but lacking in substance. I like the worlds he creates and most of the characters are initially interesting, however there is a lack of growth as the series progress and the plot lines are definitely recycled between series and books. He is a little too fond of throwing the rules out the window to create interesting situations, which leaves the world feeling groundless.
He also loves to copy/paste character descriptions.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

He also loves to copy/paste character descriptions.

This was nigh-unbearable in his Nightside series. Assuming his other books are similar, I hope that Wheat Loaf isn't bothered by seeing the same character description bits used, not only repeatedly within the series, but several times within the same book.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Just finished reading Seth Skorkowsky's second book in his demon-hunting Valducan series, Hounacier after last year's Damoren, about demon hunters with almost-sentient weapons that feed on demons. Demons in this case being the whole plethora of supernatural monsters that can both possess humans and twist their bodies into a monstrous form, and mark them for later possession (think werewolf bite) if their first body dies, with the aforementioned weapons being the only thing to actually kill a demon for good so it can't just hop bodies.

I really enjoyed the first one a yearish ago, and the second book is just as solid. He's got an intriguing world with some interesting and creepy monsters, and writes well enough that i'd easily consider it one of the better UF series i've read (I read so much bad UF trying to find good ones). He seems to be doing a somewhat novel thing with the series too in that it looks like each book will focus on a different main character and their weapon, and the blurb for book 3 looks like it'll continue the trend.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I started reading Paul Cornell's London Falling based on the OP recommendations. I'm hardly into it but I'm really enjoying it now that I've gotten into the actual plot of it. The Horror elements are very pronounced in a way that feels bracing after the tongue-in-cheek nature of Dresden Files.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Somberbrero posted:

I started reading Paul Cornell's London Falling based on the OP recommendations. I'm hardly into it but I'm really enjoying it now that I've gotten into the actual plot of it. The Horror elements are very pronounced in a way that feels bracing after the tongue-in-cheek nature of Dresden Files.

Yeah, the first 3 or 4 chapters are this awful mismash of shifting PoVs, but once it gets rolling, it's good.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, the first 3 or 4 chapters are this awful mismash of shifting PoVs, but once it gets rolling, it's good.

I will say that I don't particularly care for the audio version. The narrator has this tendency to pause between sentences just long enough for me to start to wonder if my phone has turned off.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I finished the 3 books of the Generation V series by M.L. Brennan. It's seriously good. The main character Fortitude is, as the title implies, a millennial, a college graduate with a degree in film theory, a vegetarian, and a (reluctant, sort of) vampire, and the series follows him as he adapts to the supernatural world he's been avoiding, his true nature, and his service as a troubleshooter for his powerful family. Fort's friend/partner/prospective love interest Suzume is ten kinds of awesome and badass, as is her extended family, and the supernatural setting itself is pretty interesting. And there are a few serial threads that will play out in future books (the next one comes out in August) that are promising.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

I finished the 3 books of the Generation V series by M.L. Brennan. It's seriously good. The main character Fortitude is, as the title implies, a millennial, a college graduate with a degree in film theory, a vegetarian, and a (reluctant, sort of) vampire, and the series follows him as he adapts to the supernatural world he's been avoiding, his true nature, and his service as a troubleshooter for his powerful family. Fort's friend/partner/prospective love interest Suzume is ten kinds of awesome and badass, as is her extended family, and the supernatural setting itself is pretty interesting. And there are a few serial threads that will play out in future books (the next one comes out in August) that are promising.

Yeah, that's a fun series.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

Annihilation Score: I thought the book was pretty good. I didn't really care for Mo before reading this book, but after getting to see things from her viewpoint and dealing with her as more than just a flavor character in Bob's story, I actually started to actively dislike her!
Agreed. Minor spoilers for Annihilation Score: Towards the end of the book, Mo feels betrayed by someone she trusted, and she compares it to how she would feel if Bob had cheated on her. Despite the fact that she's been actively cheating* on Bob! That kind of hypocrisy might be typical for a lot of people, but those are the kind of people that I don't really like very much.

I also think that it could have used at least one more editing pass. In one scene Mo doesn't want to have to explain the enigma of Officer Friendly to a group of politicians, and then in the very next scene she has no idea who Officer Friendly is.

*Yeah, she didn't sleep with Officer Friendly,** but as far as I'm concerned going out on dates and having a heavy make-out session in the back seat of a limo counts as cheating.
** Sounds like the name of a kids TV show host who is later discovered to have been a pedophile.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

g0del posted:

Agreed. Minor spoilers for Annihilation Score: Towards the end of the book, Mo feels betrayed by someone she trusted, and she compares it to how she would feel if Bob had cheated on her. Despite the fact that she's been actively cheating* on Bob! That kind of hypocrisy might be typical for a lot of people, but those are the kind of people that I don't really like very much.

I also think that it could have used at least one more editing pass. In one scene Mo doesn't want to have to explain the enigma of Officer Friendly to a group of politicians, and then in the very next scene she has no idea who Officer Friendly is.

*Yeah, she didn't sleep with Officer Friendly,** but as far as I'm concerned going out on dates and having a heavy make-out session in the back seat of a limo counts as cheating.
** Sounds like the name of a kids TV show host who is later discovered to have been a pedophile.

I haven't read the new book yet, but didn't Bob leave her because of the violin in the previous one?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Barbe Rouge posted:

I haven't read the new book yet, but didn't Bob leave her because of the violin in the previous one?
Yes, and at the beginning of this one. Annihiliation Score is from Mo's point of view starting slightly before the end of the last book. The thing is, it's not clear from the book whether the split is a temporary thing because of circumstances (she has a violin that wants to eat him, he's the Eater of Souls), or if the split is a separation preparatory to divorce. It's probably not clear because Mo isn't sure herself which is true.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

g0del posted:

They were separated.

quote:

Being aware of the existence of an agent assigned to a government agency is very different from knowing the full background of the agent.

quote:

Again, they were separated.

If you want to criticize Mo for her behavior and outlook towards Bob, there is plenty in this book to go from. Withholding information about his medical condition from him for years? All internal dialogue comparing him to an object instead of as a person? When thinking about him always in context of what he could do for her instead of thinking of him as her partner? All valid and in keeping with how her character is written. Getting hyped about actions while they were separated is a stretch. Particularly when when it turns out it was a Honeypot trap

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

They were separated.
Being aware of the existence of an agent assigned to a government agency is very different from knowing the full background of the agent.

If you want to criticize Mo for her behavior and outlook towards Bob, there is plenty in this book to go from. Withholding information about his medical condition from him for years? All internal dialogue comparing him to an object instead of as a person? When thinking about him always in context of what he could do for her instead of thinking of him as her partner? All valid and in keeping with how her character is written. Getting hyped about actions while they were separated is a stretch. Particularly when when it turns out it was a Honeypot trap

It's funny how I didn't really pick up on a lot of this while reading it -- Mo's personal problems were just taking center stage . I'm not 100% clear on how separated they were in Bob's view. He had moved out but only for safety reasons and clearly on some level still thought the marriage was worth saving. I think all of these things are legitimate critiques of Mo's character, only partially alleviated by the extreme stress she's been under.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Bob had to move out because her violin wanted to eat him. I never got the impression that they formally separated in a 'this isn't working out, maybe we should think about divorce/see other people' way. It felt very much like a 'we don't want to split up but it is no longer safe for us to live together' separation, both from Bob's viewpoint in Rhesus Chart and Mo's perspective in Annihilation Score. More like a medical quarantine than a real separation. That's why Mo being so quick to jump on the 'Make out with Officer Friendly in the limo' train made me dislike her so much; they separated on the basis of "your violin wants to eat my soul" and she jumped from there to justifying going out on dates with other men without ever talking about it to Bob. It is not too much of a stretch to get hyped about that.

Also, I missed that medical condition part you're talking about, when was that?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Khizan posted:

[]Also, I missed that medical condition part you're talking about, when was that?[/spoiler]

It isn't a spoiler, it pops up in one of the stock background info dumps. It is a real quick one-liner that Mo mentions Bob has been immune to K-syndrome since the events of The Fuller Memorandum. But the risk of K-syndrome has been a big, character defining fear of Bob in Apocalypse Codex and Rhesus Chart. So Mo knows he's terrified of it, knows he is safe from it, and just never mentioned it to him.

Per Stross it's a minor retcon and wasn't meant to be read as a note on the two of them and their relationship, which it's clear it wasn't meant as (it's 1 line in an infodump). But now that it's out there, it either changes the context of the past 2 books (and Bob's character, that he is insanely paranoid after the threat is long past and this has held back his growth in the Laundry) or changes their relationship (if you were waiting for the oncologist to call back with the biopsy results and it turns out your partner knew, how would you feel?)

The rest I'll comment on when not phone posting

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

They were separated.

As others have pointed out, I'm not sure how 'separated' Bob would consider them to be. But if Mo considered them separated enough that it's ok for her to date Officer Friendly, why then would she compare being betrayed to the feeling she would get if she found out that Bob was cheating on her? If they're separated enough that what she was doing wasn't cheating, then the idea of Bob doing the same thing shouldn't be her go to description for feeling betrayed. On the other hand, if she doesn't want to be separated from Bob in that way, then she was cheating on him with Officer Friendly.

Or she's a hypocrite who gets upset at the idea of her husband doing the very things that she's been doing. Which is a very common trait, but not an admirable one.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I wasn't very impressed with The Annihilation Score, and I usually love the Laundry series.

First, it was so very incredibly obvious that Jim was working for the bad guys/was a plant (what his motivation was in the end never gets quite clear). There are 6 (7 with Lector) people that are more than a background sketch in the book, of which only 3 could be hiding bad intentions - and since we just had a bad guy in the upper echelons of the Laundry only 2 are left, and Ramona/The Deep Ones was pretty much a non-starter in this regard, since they were set up as not-the-usual-bad-guy-fish-monsters a few books back, although the idea that the Deep Ones want to end the threat by simply removing the problem - humans - would have been an interesting one. For the 10 minutes it would take this apparent super-superpower to remove humanity.

Mo (and Bob in the book before) not noticing that there are superheros running around - publicly - for at least six months. That's something that would make huge waves in media and even bigger ones in the Laundry. But no, apparently it's complete news to Mo.

The "middle aged women are invisible"-thing was incredibly clumsy and reeked of "I've read that interesting article about it some time ago, time to make it a statement!". And then she even develops a superpower that's just that. Mo in general. Falling for the hunk who is a plant, struggling with her marriage and how to bring her love life and her professional life together. Having to work with her husbands exes and bonding with them over after work wine. Caring about her clothes all the time. Cliche after cliche with nearly no subversion. At times I felt like reading Bridget Jones. Or maybe I'm just too harsh because I read Lindsey Davies do a similar setup much, much better recently and just came off Bujold's Chalion books, both who feature more interesting and better written female protagonists?

Mo basically does nothing in the book. The Freudstein thing gets solved by the bad guys spilling the beans to her, not because they put up any effort into an investigation. The metro station thing is basically put on the backburner with a shrug until Jim tells her what it is, and even then she doesn't act on the information or puts 1+1 together. She and her team stumble around in the dark the whole book, lead by the leash of Jim and Lector and nudged by the SA. And she makes no real effort to get some answers.

The whole Freudstein plan on the other hand relies on so many variables that all have to be just right to work in any way. I can only assume that it's deliberate by Charles Stross to resemble a bad superhero villain plot. It relies on Mo getting that SHIELD-director gig, her accepting Jim joining, her lugging Lector to where it is needed, her being put under the Home Secretary, her going to the Proms with her violin and the geas, that nobody ever has seen in action, working just right the way it is needed. Apparently Lector put the ideas into the head of the police when she was meeting with them (said Stross on his blog) - but at that time the whole plot had to be in motion for months, so it's impossible that Lector is somehow the originator of the plan for the false-flag operation.

Mo having been hit with a dumb ray. She ignores all hints and clues, she trusts Jim, who is so obviously a plant, she ignores everything suspicious and disturbing and manages not to tell that things to the SA. Jim running around in a BLUE HADES tech suit by way of police contractors? Jim lying about how long he's doing the gig? Lector dreaming with her with just the musical score that has been stolen? A metro station disappearing? Freudstein obviously having the resources of a police force available? No problem, no follow up. The Mandate showing to be a danger to national security? Let him walk out of the office, basically no follow up, like looking through CCTV footage, forgotten until he appears in Downing Street. And the Mandate in general. Really? A clumsy Tony-Blair-as-supervillain? I expected more from Stross.

The Geas made the least sense to me. A Deputy Superintendent (lower on the totem pole in the Home Secretary branch than Mo) compelling her because she has a letter from the minister? Even if her Laundry geas transferred with her nominal and fake transfer to a different organization, it seems odd that it works for what boils down a brigadier commanding around what is basically the director of UK-SHIELD, one rung below the minister herself. Also, "nice letter, get your supers call my supers confirming the order, than we can talk about me summoning Piss King" seemed an obvious out of the whole thing.

But the whole thing was unnecessary at all, since the SA knew who the opposition was and it would have been incredible easy to set them a trap if they informed Mo and worked with her. I hope that was again Stross trying to set the whole thing up like a bad comic book.

And the abrupt ending with no resolutions (two weeks later and we don't even get a mention about how the whole thing influenced her relationship with Bob?) didn't help either to make me like the book more. Same with the retcons (Bob is immune from K-syndrome since TFM). BTW, is she now exposed to K-syndrome with a superpower and no Lector protecting her?

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 12, 2015

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Bob has literally never solved the mystery either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grimson posted:

He solved the mystery in the first book, didn't he?

Admittedly not the best track record.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

It isn't a spoiler, it pops up in one of the stock background info dumps. It is a real quick one-liner that Mo mentions Bob has been immune to K-syndrome since the events of The Fuller Memorandum. But the risk of K-syndrome has been a big, character defining fear of Bob in Apocalypse Codex and Rhesus Chart. So Mo knows he's terrified of it, knows he is safe from it, and just never mentioned it to him.

Per Stross it's a minor retcon

It's actually kind a moderate one. There's a scene in Rhesus Chart where Bob and Angleton are sealing Andy's office and Bob gets a headache and thinks "hello, K syndrome." That not just worry about K syndrome, it's arguably an actual progression that Stross changed his mind about only with the latest book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really thought bob's k syndrome immunity came at the end of rheusus chart, when angleton died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Grimson posted:

In the first book he figures out the infovore and scrambles the SAS to abort their nuke, but the bad guys still had to abduct Mo before that happened. In book 2 he's still reactive and saved by Mo, although he figures out the villain's cat. In three he's reactive while Mo and backup scramble to save him. Four and Five have him reacting to stop the enemy's actions while there's still time, but still reactive rather than proactive.

So, yeah, it's not a great record for him either. But to use a terrorism metaphor it's much less suspenseful if you valiantly stop the baddies at their safe house rather than the crowded public place full of panicky soon to be victims.