Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Ultimecia's Castle is the Temple of Chaos, from the past, in the future. It looks different because shut up.

Princess Sara is the matriarch of what would become Baron.

People talk about the links between FFX and FFVII, but actually The Creator from TAY is an Al Bhed, possibly Shinra himself. The Maenads are actually advanced Al Bhed technology, as is the moon.

Gilgamesh is Gilgamesh is Gilgamesh. Is Gilgamesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

- Universe where Zell saves the hot dogs

-Universe where Zell fails to save the hot dogs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The Darkest Timeline...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SonicRulez posted:

Just because I don't always like Zelda's timeline doesn't mean I don't know it.

I make an exception for Gilgamesh. He has to be the same guy between FFV and FFVIII at the very least.

He's also almost definitely the same guy in XIV, as well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SonicRulez posted:

I loved Dissidia a lot, but I thought it was best if I ignored any and all attempts it made at connecting the Final Fantasies. I treat any and all timeline theories the same way. Terrible idea that plagues Zelda to this day.

hyrule historia!!!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

corn in the bible posted:

hyrule historia!!!

I really want to know who decided roughly half the "Zelda Bible" should be dedicated to Skyward Sword. I want to meet that guy, and punch him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Final Fantasy Lore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Excels posted:

I really want to know who decided roughly half the "Zelda Bible" should be dedicated to Skyward Sword. I want to meet that guy, and punch him.

I want to kick the rear end of anybody who reads it

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Has there been any updates news on the LR PC port or is it still in limbo?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

- Universe where Zell saves the hot dogs

Japanese Universe where Zell saves the Consommé flavored bread.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

CeallaSo posted:

Ultimecia's Castle is the Temple of Chaos, from the past, in the future. It looks different because shut up.

Princess Sara is the matriarch of what would become Baron.

People talk about the links between FFX and FFVII, but actually The Creator from TAY is an Al Bhed, possibly Shinra himself. The Maenads are actually advanced Al Bhed technology, as is the moon.

Gilgamesh is Gilgamesh is Gilgamesh. Is Gilgamesh.

VI's underground castle is Baron, since Odin is chillin in the basement.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

I want to kick the rear end of anybody who reads it

Nyyyeeeerrrddddsss

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

IXIX posted:

Has there been any updates news on the LR PC port or is it still in limbo?

August

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also AVALANCHE did nothing wrong

Watch Shinra start a war

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

V-Men posted:

VI's underground castle is Baron, since Odin is chillin in the basement.

Same goes for FFV's Bal castle. Galuf and Krile are the distant descendants of Cecil.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I am enjoying FF13. Initial complaints of the story being difficult to understand and hard to follow seem greatly exaggerated.

General Morden fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 9, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

General Morden posted:

I am enjoying FF13. Initial complaints of the story being difficult to understand and hard to follow seem greatly exaggerated.

it's not hard to follow if you have a working brain, but the character motivations don't really make a whole lot of sense at certain points. 13-2 on the other hand...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hope looks angry, then sad, then repeat for 50 hours

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Attitude Indicator posted:

it's not hard to follow if you have a working brain, but the character motivations don't really make a whole lot of sense at certain points. 13-2 on the other hand...

Yeah, the plot of XIII is pretty simple, its just that the characters themselves are poorly written (and there is some dumb fantasy jargon), which is honestly nothing new for the series either, must just have more redeemable characters than horrible wastes of space. The plot itself always presents their overall motivations and the situation pretty clearly. It follows a very straightforward FF plotline too. If the characters were hashed out a bit further it could have been downright good, but I feel like they came up with the archetypes and then figured out how to add them to the story and not try and make something organically.

I think sometimes people are a bit too hard on XIII where its just mediocre, because it can be hard to pin down what's making it not fun for people at times.

Then XIII-2 comes along, retconning things, requiring an in depth understanding of fabulous crystal lore and expands the characters-not-making-sense into nothing making any kind of logical sense beyond the immediate demands of the plot. Its my least favorite FF game baring complete spin-off turds. XIII-2 did a few neat things, but I honestly think its one of the worst written games I have ever played.(EDIT: It did somehow improve Hope though. No where to go but up.)

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 9, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hope in LR is best because nobody in that game gives the slightest poo poo about anything

like yeah, i guess i turned into a kid again. anyway, don't forget to buy fireworks from that crazy cat lady over there!

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Hope in LR is best because nobody in that game gives the slightest poo poo about anything

like yeah, i guess i turned into a kid again. anyway, don't forget to buy fireworks from that crazy cat lady over there!

A lack of drama would be the best thing for almost any character in XIII. I guess that far in the future they can finally deal with their problems without going insane.

I bought XIII and XIII-2 on PS3 when they came out. I skipped LR because I ended up hating XIII-2, but everywhere I go people tell me I'll like LR so I will be picking it up on steam when it arrives. What I have seen looks pretty fun and hopefully it doesn't take itself seriously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it takes itself seriously in the main plot but it goes so stupidly over the top that it's pretty funny, and there's enough gags in the sidequest to give you the impression that they're aware of how convoluted and ridiculous things have gotten

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

General Morden posted:

I have said this before in the thread but if FF7 were released today, people would freak out over not immediately understanding what Mako is and what the gently caress is a SOLDIER and why did the game open with my guys blowing up a power plant before I know who anyone is? That's so confusing. Etc etc etc.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

hope looks angry, then sad, then repeat for 50 hours

Part of enjoying XIII more is accepting that Hope is not a very enjoyable character and his translation made him a lot worse than he actually is. If you go into XIII knowing that about Hope ahead of time and are willing to just get over it then it is a lot easier to sit back and enjoy the game. Or at least, that worked very well for me during my 2nd play through.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh god I decided to hop into FFXIV again and just got confused at how I left my controller setup before I left.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

I have said this before in the thread but if FF7 were released today, people would freak out over not immediately understanding what Mako is and what the gently caress is a SOLDIER and why did the game open with my guys blowing up a power plant before I know who anyone is? That's so confusing. Etc etc etc.

True, and I love XIII but this is doing VII a disservice because that game actually bothers to have a story where the characters matter and their motivations and quirks are spelt out and toyed with. XIII's plot is complete nonsense no matter how you look at it, and that's fine, I don't think video games really need a good story to enjoy them, so I totally understand when people complain about how bad the story is if they want to care about that aspect of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, the thing is xiii's story has tons of things to complain about but people always focus on poo poo that doesn't matter or that actually is totally clear

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish XIII didn't have CG cutscenes because on the PC version the in engine stuff looks so much better

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite thing about XIII's story is the end of the first Pulse part where Barthandelus (I think it's this dude) is all "hello CLAIRE farron" and everyone essentially no sells her real name being revealed and moves on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Her name is Lightning. I won't hear any more conspiracies.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I feel like the series has really taken a turn for the worse, as far as stupid plot/lore jargon, with the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis thing.

God that is so loving stupid.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Annath posted:

I feel like the series has really taken a turn for the worse, as far as stupid plot/lore jargon, with the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis thing.

God that is so loving stupid.

L'cie

Cie'th

Fal'cie

Selphie

FF13 is an FF8 sequel.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

True, and I love XIII but this is doing VII a disservice because that game actually bothers to have a story where the characters matter and their motivations and quirks are spelt out and toyed with. XIII's plot is complete nonsense no matter how you look at it, and that's fine, I don't think video games really need a good story to enjoy them, so I totally understand when people complain about how bad the story is if they want to care about that aspect of the game.

I mainly mean in the sense that people would complain about stuff that XIII explicitly explains over and over.

It has some p dumb reasons for sure and the writing is pretty bad, but it does outright explain the stuff introduced early on that people say is too confusing.

In fact those early parts never shut up about fal'cies, goddamn.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Whizbang posted:

L'cie

Cie'th

Fal'cie

Selphie

FF13 is an FF8 sequel.

Cel'fie

e: Someone plz mod FF13 to replace Vanille with Selphie and change all her dialogue into stuff about blowing poo poo up and also make her summon Doomtrain thanks.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 9, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Whizbang posted:

L'cie

Cie'th

Fal'cie

Selphie

FF13 is an FF8 sequel.

Just for that have a Selphie selfie

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF13 was sufficient for what it was and I really want to know what the hell was wrong with the original script that it got rewritten into such a straight forward "this is the character growth part and now this is the part we make ham fisted points about destiny" structure.

Aurain posted:

My favourite thing about XIII's story is the end of the first Pulse part where Barthandelus (I think it's this dude) is all "hello CLAIRE farron" and everyone essentially no sells her real name being revealed and moves on.
I remember that being a big spoiler deal in the FF13 thread for some reason.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Whizbang posted:

L'cie

Cie'th

Fal'cie

Selphie

FF13 is an FF8 sequel.

laughed out loud when i read this. People were giving me funny looks. Ty for this :allears:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Good news everyone, FFXV will have a live demo at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. This... fine young man will be presenting it. He's the owner of a popular Youtube gaming/anime channel in Germany named NinOtaku.

In Training posted:

I wish XIII didn't have CG cutscenes because on the PC version the in engine stuff looks so much better

The CGI cutscenes on PC are from the Xbox 360 version. They use everyone's favorite BINK for compression. It was probably the easiest path to port from Xbox 360 to Android and finally to PC.

The CGI alone probably accounted for over half of the FFXIII's budget. Square-Enix is probably one of the last remaining developers who have continue to spend a sizable amount of money on CGI. Today, most developers just have a CGI trailer for announcing a new game or simply pre-render cutscenes using the game engine. It's a lot more cost efficient than spending a fortune on CGI that's locked away in the game.

I'm curious to how much CGI was thrown out/re-rendered for FF Versus XIII/FFXV since the game had its story and characters undergo major changes. They could probably significantly reduce their production costs if they just had limited the CGI to just an announcement video. Oh well, old habits die hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they could also just not rewrite the game 17000 times, or only get the CG cutscenes made once they actually have things written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Agreed. All Final Fantasies share The Void and nothing else. Boom, done.

But then you're conceding that Gilgamesh dies alone and thinking of Bartz in The After Years