Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BloodBag posted:

Checks out

christ is the pantera the best looking car. I want one so bad.

Yup, they're absolutely gorgeous cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

A lot of people seem to be blaming this on poor software because car companies aren't software companies, but I think more of it is just that they are incompetent at human-computer interaction design. Most software and hardware developers are lovely at that, and it's one of the big reasons why Apple has found a lot of success doing things that had been tried before unsuccessfully -- they spend a lot of money on user experience design and testing. Testing emphatically does not mean just holding focus groups over and over again, and I think car companies are finding themselves a little confused by that concept.

Actually car companies are really good at user experience design and testing... for the car parts of the car. It's just they don't really bother to integrate the software design part into that and instead tend to farm it out to places like Microsoft or the stereo companies.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BloodBag posted:

What the hell is wrong with cars in the US that we only get bullshit lifted retard-mobiles? Why do I have such limited choices for small hatchbacks, but if I want to put a shotgun in my mouth I have like 30 suv/crossovers/assholeboxen to choose from?

Federal regulations say anything that can support truckish ground clearances and approach angles is a truck, and puts them into a different set of requirements vs. cars. That's why.

dissss posted:

I've never seen any in car touchscreen setup that actually worked well.

Personally I think there should be physical controls for everything that you might want to adjuat on the move. You could also add a touchscreen for text entry for navigation and maybe advanced car setup like whether the mirrors fold in, or the brightness of the interior lighting but these should only be available when the car is stopped.

I think Mazda, BMW and Audi are doing this right and hope other manufacturers follow. Have a big screen that's in the line of sight but out of reach, and have the driver interact with it via the control system that's where your right hand naturally rests.

The S3's layout is as good as it gets right now - screen slides down out of the way if you want, tactile controls for HVAC and car controls you may need to access quickly, enough of a display between the gauges that you can see what radio station you're on if you're just farting around and don't need Nav or whatever, nice sets of redundant controls in the center console and on the steering wheel. The Mazda 3 and new Miata are both also great.

I think people definitely want big screens that look good, but I'm not sure they necessarily want touch screens. Or that they still would if they experienced the alternative. Things like AirPlay and Google Auto support alternative input methods beyond touch as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'd love it if I could have a new sporty, fun to drive car that still consistently got over 30mpg, but the last AW11 MR2s rolled off the assembly line in 1989.

New ND Miata is rated at 30 combined, 36 hwy. Not too shabby at all.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Oh man, you should see the voice command system on my Kia Soul, it's so bad. This is how to make phone call:
  • Press phone button on steering wheel
  • Prompt says "Phone, say "By number, or By Name"
  • You say "name"
  • System says "You stated "Name", please state the name to call.
  • You say "Mom" (and nothing else or it'll loving flip out, and if the person has first+last in your phone, you have to say the whole thing verbatim)
  • It says, you want to call mom?
  • You say "Yes"
  • It says "Would you like to call mom on ...<3 second pasuse>..Mobile or on...<pause>... work?
  • You say "Work"
  • It says "Calling mom on work. Please say Yes to continue, or cancel to go back".
  • You say "Yes"
  • 5 seconds later, it finally starts dialing.

You have to say all of this very slowly and loudly (like an rear end in a top hat talks to a foreigner) to get it to work, and the prompts are so slow that it takes 2 minutes to dial, even though if I could unlock my phone while also driving I could just yell "OK Google, call mom's cell" and I'd be ringing through in 4 seconds. Automotive voice recognition has a long, long way to go.

I'm assuming this is the same system as on my 2012 forte and you can just bypass it by pressing the voice command button and saying exactly what you intend to do all at once. for instance:

*press button* "call mom on work"
[calling mom on work, say yes to proceed]
"yes"

and it starts dialing. but yeah it takes forever if you wait for it to prompt you on each step

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^We don't even have the full infotainment option, just bluetooth phone connectivity. All this thing can do is place calls and play noise from the phones through speakers, and it really is this complicated to place a call. If you say anything other than what I described at any of the prompts it just says "I'm sorry, I don't recognize that command" and shuts off.

kill me now posted:

And how old is your Soul? The current ones aren't anything like that.

It's the model year before the facelift. Can't remember off the top of my head if that's '13 or '14.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Which is why l/100km is the superior fuel economy measurement units :colbert:

Consumed /distance just seems so much easier to compare rather than it's inverse, especially once you get down to the really efficient range. This way it's easier to grasp just how small the differences are at the low consumption end, as well as why 1mpg in the single digit mpgs is a big difference while in the mid double digits it's almost insignificant.

Better dead than using sensible units of measurement.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PT6A posted:

I don't think anyone's complaining about large displays or digital dashboards, but rather the fact that touchscreens and stupid loving iDrive-style wheels are not a good interface for anything that's meant to be operated while driving. I would love a fully customizable digital dashboard with skins, alternate layouts that you could select, etc., but I consider it imperative that I can operate the HVAC system by touch alone, and the stereo either by touch or voice control. My 2011 Mustang doesn't have natural language processing by a long stretch, but it's functional enough that I can control it with my voice, and that's all I really care about. The only thing I hate is having to remember to say "Phone" before "Call XXX...." to avoid a "did you mean X, Y, Z, this, that, the other loving thing..." prompt that lasts for 3 minutes.

Every single car I've driven recently with a jog wheel or touch screen also had steering wheel controls so you could operate the infotainment system without taking your hands off the wheel. In fact, I'd defy you to find a car on sale with a modern infotainment system that didn't have steering wheel controls.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Every single car I've driven recently with a jog wheel or touch screen also had steering wheel controls so you could operate the infotainment system without taking your hands off the wheel. In fact, I'd defy you to find a car on sale with a modern infotainment system that didn't have steering wheel controls.

BRZ? Doesn't that only have cruise control on the wheel?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Correct.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

drgitlin posted:

Every single car I've driven recently with a jog wheel or touch screen also had steering wheel controls so you could operate the infotainment system without taking your hands off the wheel.

Which is exactly why the touchscreen should be disabled completely while the car is in motion.

Victorian Brigade
Apr 30, 2004
I am neither furry nor moist

dissss posted:

Which is exactly why the touchscreen should be disabled completely while the car is in motion.

Yeah, it'd be much safer to have a passenger fiddle with the stereo controls on the steering wheel instead of using a dangerous touch screen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Victorian Brigade posted:

Yeah, it'd be much safer to have a passenger fiddle with the stereo controls on the steering wheel instead of using a dangerous touch screen.

The passenger not being able to adjust some advanced settings on the stereo is a fair trade off for stopping every idiot driver from fiddling with their EQ or tweeting (or whatever) while driving.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

The passenger not being able to adjust some advanced settings on the stereo is a fair trade off for stopping every idiot driver from fiddling with their EQ or tweeting (or whatever) while driving.

Those idiots will just use their phones instead though? No matter how many touch screens you disable, b-pillars you eliminate and vehicle heights you lower you will never stop this no matter how hard you try. An idiot driver is going to be an idiot driver.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

KakerMix posted:

Those idiots will just use their phones instead though? No matter how many touch screens you disable, b-pillars you eliminate and vehicle heights you lower you will never stop this no matter how hard you try. An idiot driver is going to be an idiot driver.

I agree completely. Perhaps there should be some test or something to determine who these idiots are so we can prevent them from ever driving in the first place.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Doesn't mean you shouldn't legislate to stop as much stupidity as you can

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Is that an integrated system or just a double-DIN headunit? ISTR from my friend's BRZ it's just a head unit.

Anyway I'm off to Detroit in a couple of weeks to meet with lots of people, I'll ask some questions and if I get any interesting answers, look for them at Ars Technica at the end of the month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

drgitlin posted:

Is that an integrated system or just a double-DIN headunit?

It's really just a double DIN headunit with a usb port and aux port on another place on the console and a MIC in the headliner.

I should probably look into whether or not there's an adapter to use all three of those things with an aftermarket HU as it would be a really easy drop in replacement with something that had android auto.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah in that case one can't really compare it to a proper infotainment system. It's not integrated into the car, you don't use it to alter any of the control system settings and so on. Bitching about "why can't they make good interfaces" and then using that as an example torpedos that argument.

Further, most of the big screens you see in cars aren't touchscreens. Certainly, nothing from Audi or BMW or Mercedes is, and while GM do use a touchscreen (at least in the Corvette) that too can be fully controlled with the steering wheel. The complaints in this thread are starting to resemble unix greybeards bitching about these newfangled Windows and Macintosh machines that use mice and GUIs.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Here's a new car I like. No infotainment; you will not be informed, but you will definitely be entertained.

30th Anniversary Landcruiser with vintage body and modern gubbins:

JDM obv.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That is loving with my head something awful (:v:) but god drat I want one.

Now I want a 30th anniversary C4 with a (gen V) LT1.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

smooth jazz posted:

:circlefap:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smooth jazz posted:

Here's a new car I like. No infotainment; you will not be informed, but you will definitely be entertained.

JDM obv.

Dare I ask how much?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

smooth jazz posted:

JDM obv.

Man, why do we get the luxo-barge cruiser here and not this beauty? gently caress. :eng99:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

smooth jazz posted:

Holy poo poo, would buy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LeeMajors posted:

Man, why do we get the luxo-barge cruiser here and not this beauty? gently caress. :eng99:

You know the answer to that already. They would sell 3 of them. Americans don't want a car like that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

skipdogg posted:

You know the answer to that already. They would sell 3 of them. Americans don't want a car like that.

Some of us do. :sigh:

If they wont offer it, someone should revise import rules. Some of us want simple capable cars.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
There are rumors that the new Alfa Giulia QV reached 200 (or 199.47) mph in Nardo. Should be a bit faster on a flat rouad.
http://www.alvolante.it/news/alfa-romeo-giulia-2015-al-nurburgring-342066
http://www.autoedizione.com/top-speed-alfa-giulia-quadrifoglio-well-over-300kmh/

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 9, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

LeeMajors posted:

Some of us do. :sigh:

If they wont offer it, someone should revise import rules. Some of us want simple capable cars.

It's not that Americans don't want it, it's that we don't want it at the price they would have to charge to bring it to compliance with today's automotive regulations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LeeMajors posted:

Wouldn't a stripped down current-gen Land Cruiser with a punishing interior still cost $65k? Is there a market for it there?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
There's a market for Mercedes G-wagons, so there might be a market for these (with a Lexus badge).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Twerk from Home posted:

Wouldn't a stripped down current-gen Land Cruiser with a punishing interior still cost $65k? Is there a market for it there?

I have no idea what it would cost, or what it costs overseas. If it were in the 40-50k range though it would kill here.

Then again, I want a manual I4 or I6 turbodiesel tractor engine Landcruiser with vinyl seats, so maybe I'm out of touch with the American Consumer™.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It would most certainly not kill here at 50k.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LeeMajors posted:

Then again, I want a manual I4 or I6 turbodiesel tractor engine Landcruiser with vinyl seats, so maybe I'm out of touch with the American Consumer™.

As a resident of the Phoenix, AZ area, I have to say that you are on drugs. Vinyl seats are the devil's own creation and anyone who puts them in a car headed towards Arizona deserves to burn in hell for all eternity.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Locator posted:

As a resident of the Phoenix, AZ area, I have to say that you are on drugs. Vinyl seats are the devil's own creation and anyone who puts them in a car headed towards Arizona deserves to burn in hell for all eternity.

If The Inquisition had vinyl seats, they would have used them on heretics.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Locator posted:

Fair enough--I was visualizing the vinyl/cloth combo Toyota seats from the 70s really.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It would most certainly not kill here at 50k.

There's a rather large market for old Defenders, Land Rovers and GWagens...I think a rugged tank that was actually reliable would take a huge chunk of that market away.

There's at least as much of a market for that as there is for an 85k luxury SUV.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ford Focus RS looks seriously good. is there any timeline when it will be on lots? I want to test drive it to compare with the Evo. It's making me waver in my decision.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KidDynamite posted:

Ford Focus RS looks seriously good. is there any timeline when it will be on lots? I want to test drive it to compare with the Evo. It's making me waver in my decision.

Not till mid 2016 as far as I understand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

There's at least as much of a market for that as there is for an 85k luxury SUV.

The difference is that an 85k luxury SUV has enough margin that the low volumes don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LeeMajors posted:

Fair enough--I was visualizing the vinyl/cloth combo Toyota seats from the 70s really.

There's a rather large market for old Defenders, Land Rovers and GWagens...I think a rugged tank that was actually reliable would take a huge chunk of that market away.

I highly doubt anyone is going to buy them new. The guys who want capability over everything are going to want something cheaper since they will do a poo poo load of work on it after stock.