Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

it's still not up yet? Goddamn they're slow.

Mind Blade Knight has a few benefits.
1) add your Soulknife level to your Psychic Warrior level to determine a) your Manifester level for the Call Weaponry Power and b) the trance bonus from the Mind Knight Warrior Path.

2) You can trade the bonus to attack and damage rolls from the Mind Knight Trance for equivelant value of weapon enchantments. These enchantments are drawn from the Soulknifes list of enchantments for his Mind Blade, and you qualify for them as a Soulknife of half your Psychic Warrior/Dark Tempest levels.

Another good feat is Mind Knight's Arsenal. You pick one type of weapon for which you have Weapon Focus and, when you Call one of these weapons with Call Weaponry, it gets a +1 enhancement bonus AND a +1 weapon enchantment from the Soulknife list (no level requirements).

Basically, the idea is to be a guy that specializes in summoning different kinds of weapons for different situations. With enough finagling I've gotten it up to a +10 weapon for 0 power points. And you only lose 1 level of manifesting, so you can still get 6th level powers.

Sound like something you'd be interested in?

Yeah that definitely sounds interesting. If you don't want to spam the thread with a big wall o' text would you mind PMing me the build? Not the most up to date on the Dreamscarred stuff, was honestly shocked he was allowing it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mairn posted:

Yeah that definitely sounds interesting. If you don't want to spam the thread with a big wall o' text would you mind PMing me the build? Not the most up to date on the Dreamscarred stuff, was honestly shocked he was allowing it in the first place.
I don't have PMs so I'll just post it here. :v:

Soulknife (Armored Blade/Shielded Blade) 1/Psychic Warrior (Mind Knight Path) 5/Dark Tempest 1

Feats
1 Weapon Focus (whatever weapon you want to specialize in)
1sk Wild Talent
2pw Extra Blade Skill (Focused Offense)
3 (whatever you want)
3pw Mind Knight's Arsenal
5 Mind Blade Knight
6pw (whatever you want)
7 (whatever you want)

Other Feats: Extra Blade Skill is a good one, see below for good skills. Fighter's Blade (also in Psionics Augmented) will improve your Mind Armaments and increase your effective level for the purpose of choosing blade skills. Expanded Knowledge is always good. General Melee feats like Power Attack will probably be good. Deep Focus or the Psicrystal feats will get you an extra Psychic Focus, Psionic Meditation will let you refocus as a move action.

Good Blade Skills to consider: Fluid Form and Improved Fluid Form will keep up the theme of flexibility, letting you change even the weapon enchantments swiftly. And you can overcome the penalty they impose by spending power points on Call Weaponry (just straight enhancement bonus, though). Improved Armor will let you wear the Mind Armor and real, physical armor at the same time. Improved Enhancement will give you a +1 to your weapon, shield AND armor. Absorbing Blade lets you cut your way out of a fireball

general thoughts: for your next level take level 6 in Psychic Warrior so you can manifest Call Weaponry without an action. After that, straight Dark Tempest. I haven't mentioned any powers because the only one required is Call Weaponry, feel free to go nuts on the manifesting front. You should probably pick a race that gets a Wisdom bonus and you probably don't want to be smaller than medium. Focused Offense works with ANY weapon you summon that uses strength; so if you summon a ranged weapon you can use your Wisdom modifier in place of your Strength, but only for the damage rolls (if you can somehow use Strength to make ranged attack rolls, replace that too). It's way too late and I need to go to bed. I've never had a chance to play this so I'm not sure how well it will do. If any of your friends have Psionics Augmented or if you otherwise have access to it, make sure you go read Mind Blade Knight and Mind Knight's Arsenal thoroughly. I'd post them here but I'm not sure what the rules on that are and it's late. You can manifest Call Weaponry at no PP cost by expending you psychic focus, otherwise it's 1 pp for a +4 weapon at level 7.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think there is anything wrong with posting them. They are under OGL after all.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Strictly speaking you need to include a copy of the OGL but yeah.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Anyone have suggestions for ridiculous and silly but weirdly effective builds for PFS?

I'm working on an Aid Another/Trip build right now, but suggestions on other goofy poo poo that works would be appreciated. Starting at level 3 (GM baby).

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I'm running a "social dungeon experiment." Long story short, I'm running weekly, three-hour, no-commitment PFRPG one-shots to get people playing games with our tools and VTT. To keep things fresh, and so that players don't know exactly what they're fighting when they go in, I'm going to be changing the dungeon layout and swapping out the encounters.

Using SyncRPG, you can take an NPC from Herolab, export it as XML, upload it to the website, and have it shared with the world. If you'd like to create something that fits into our hobgoblin prison escape adventure and see it throw dice against PCs in one of my recorded sessions, let me know :)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
In the run-up to GenCon they've posted the playtest for the Vigilante from Ultimate Intrigue and are posting the iconics from Occult Adventures. So far they've posted the iconics for the occultist, spiritualist and psychic.

While I'm still fairly tepid on most of the OA classes themselves, at least we're looking at reasonable clothing and we've finally gotten an older woman iconic.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LightWarden posted:

In the run-up to GenCon they've posted the playtest for the Vigilante from Ultimate Intrigue and are posting the iconics from Occult Adventures. So far they've posted the iconics for the occultist, spiritualist and psychic.

While I'm still fairly tepid on most of the OA classes themselves, at least we're looking at reasonable clothing and we've finally gotten an older woman iconic.

I assume by reasonable clothing you mean not overtly sexualized, because the occultist and psychic have kept Pathfinder's trademark "how do they move" over incumbered look.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, still ridiculously busy, but at least they're covered properly.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

I assume by reasonable clothing you mean not overtly sexualized, because the occultist and psychic have kept Pathfinder's trademark "how do they move" over incumbered look.

I still hold that that's just being accurate to the typical D&D/Pathfinder character's equipment list on their character sheet.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
So I brought that build posted earlier (the soulblade/psychic warrior/dark tempest) and it was vetoed because it used content that wasnt on the SRD.

Anyone else have any interesting level 7 builds?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

Anyone have suggestions for ridiculous and silly but weirdly effective builds for PFS?

I'm working on an Aid Another/Trip build right now, but suggestions on other goofy poo poo that works would be appreciated. Starting at level 3 (GM baby).

Halfling cavalier on a dog. Give the dog all of the aid another stuff while you ride around tripping people.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
The Vigilante is looking not terrible for a T4 class. They've even given one sub-build an option that gives this d8 class actual full BAB and there are talents in there that offer interesting features, scale well, and aren't garbage (which makes the ones that are junk kind of suck in comparison). I wonder how badly it's going to get nerfed in the playtest.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I like it personally, but it's one of few things Paizo has released that seems to be unanimously disliked on their forums. The concept is neat and there's a lot that can be done with the specializations.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
So using the power of Half-Giants and siege firearms I came up with the following build:

Preface: My DM is allowing the Reloading Hands spell to reload the cannon in 1 round since it says it "loads the weapon".

Strategy: Use spell combat (RAI it works with a 2-handed ranged weapon because of myridarch, otherwise the writing of Ranged Spellstrike doesn't work.) with the cannon and a wand of Reloading Hands (attached with a weapon cord) first round of combat.
Rounds after that, either fire the cannon (6d6+various), or combine the cannon with scorching rays using spellcombat. Do not deliver the rays using spellstrike, instead deliver using Arcane Gun from Spellslinger. At 9th level you tale Vital Strike to make the cannon 12d6, and eventually go for Improved and Greater. (Fighter levels after magus 10, maybe 11, help with that.)

code:
Race: Half Giant
Stats: Str 10
Dex 17 (+2 from dex belt)
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 9
Cha 9

Favored Class: Magus
Chosen Bonus: +1 Skill Point

Spellslinger Wizard 1
Myrmidarch Magus 6 (Magical Knack for +2 CL)

Traits: Armor Training (Probabaly maybe.)
Traits2: Magical Knack (Magus)

Feats: 
1ss: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Firearms
1ss: Gunsmithing
1: PBS
3: Precise Shot
5: Craft Wand
6b: Craft Arms and Armor
7: Weapon Focus: Firearms

-----

Class Abilities:
Spellslinger 1:
Wizard Spells (1st level)
Arcane Gun (su)
Mage Bullets (su)
School of the Gun (Opposed: Enchantment, Necromancy, Illusion, Divination

Myrmidarch 1:
Arcane Pool
Magus Spells (1st level)
Diminished Spellcasting
Cantrips
Spell Combat

Myrmidarch 2:
Spellstrike

Myrmidarch 3: 
Magus Arcana: Wand Wielder

Myrmidarch 4:
Magus Spells (2nd level)
Ranged Spellstrike

Myrmidarch 5:
Bonus Feat

Myrmidarch 6: 
Weapon Training: Firearms

-----
Skills:
34 ranks
Craft: Weapons (5 ranks)
Craft: Armor (1 rank)
Knowledge: Arcana (7 ranks)
Knowledge: Engineering (7 ranks)
Spellcraft (7 ranks)
Use Magic Device (7 ranks)
-----

WBL: 23,500 gp
Max item cost: 11750

+1 Cannon: 8300 (3079 crafted)
Wand of Reloading Hands 4500 (2250 crafted)
Mithril Breastplate 4200 (1386 crafted)
MW Musket: 300
Heavyload Belt of Incredible Dexterity: 6000
Muleback Cords: 1000
Mithril Chain Shirt +3: 10100 (crafted 4867)

Total items: 18,882

Gunsmith's Kit: 15gp
100 firearm bullets: 100gp (33.33gp crafted)
Traveler's Any Tool: 250gp
Bag of Holding I: 2500gp

Remaining gold: 1830.77

------

Attack Bonus: Cannon: (-4, +4, +4, +1, +1, +1, +1 within 30) = +7, +8 within 30.
Attack Bonus: Cannon, Arcane Point: (-4, +4, +4, +1, +1, +3, +1 within 30) = +9, +10 wihin 30.

Level 1: Spellslinger Wizard
Level 2 - 11: Myrmidarch Magus
12-20: Trench Fighter OR Gunslinger

Mairn fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 5, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
If your GM is a cool dude, you can simplify this by just playing a DSP Daevic and then boosting their Hand Cannons to kingdom come. They have a build that is actually centered around, and good at, making Vital Strikes and boosting them, IIRC.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011

Transient People posted:

If your GM is a cool dude, you can simplify this by just playing a DSP Daevic and then boosting their Hand Cannons to kingdom come. They have a build that is actually centered around, and good at, making Vital Strikes and boosting them, IIRC.

I just (as in 12 or so hours ago) realized you can't even Vital Strike while using Spell Combat, and he refuses to let me work towards a Cannon using the enchantment from Pistol of the Infinite Sky so I seriously don't even know anymore what to do.

Besides the fact that the build has questionable rulings:
- RAI Spell Combat works with a ranged weapon for Myrmidarch, but doesn't work RAW.
- Does "The size of a firearm never affects how many hands you need to use to shoot it, the exception being siege firearms and Large or larger creatures. In most cases, a Large or larger creature can use a siege firearm as a two-handed firearm, but the creature takes a –4 penalty for using it this way because of its awkwardness." mean that it works as a two-handed firearm and doesn't use the siege rules (I assume it works as a firearm, not siege, based on how it is written)?
- Does the -4 penalty to attacks apply if you use the weapon for the spell (literally only benefiting from the enhancement bonus, the same as any firearm) for spellslinger ranged attacks?

it is kind of weird and will likely cause a bunch of rules arguments, even if it sounds super fun to play. We already had a bunch of rule arguments about Life Leech Vitalist, so I seriously doubt this will fly properly (even though he approved everything as is).

DM is definitely not a cool dude when it comes to character creation if it is outside the limited books he allows. Point buy 20 is also super boring when you aren't playing in a module sort-of balanced around it.
Game is Saturday and I have no idea what I am even going to play. Or if I will even bother to play at this rate.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just play a Path of War character, most of them do decently well with low point buy because the bulk of your damage comes from maneuvers. Path of War: Expanded is in beta and the Mystic has an archetype that lets you reload guns with a resource generated in combat.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
I would, except I'm not allowed to use Path of War.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I have a simple question about HP and want to get some goon thoughts. I've found conflicting information from players, the internet, and the books concerning how much HP a character gets at first level and while leveling up. The book seems to show only the hit die is rolled and you add that to your total HP, but I've found other sources saying that it's your hit die PLUS your Constitution modifier. My last GM used the hit die with the CON modifier. How do you all handle it?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hamlet442 posted:

I have a simple question about HP and want to get some goon thoughts. I've found conflicting information from players, the internet, and the books concerning how much HP a character gets at first level and while leveling up. The book seems to show only the hit die is rolled and you add that to your total HP, but I've found other sources saying that it's your hit die PLUS your Constitution modifier. My last GM used the hit die with the CON modifier. How do you all handle it?

"You apply your character's Constitution modifier to: - Each roll of a Hit Die" (corebook, p. 16). So, the latter is the correct method.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Note that your first hit die is always maximum if you're a PC. (Does not apply to characters with levels in NPC classes or with racial HD.)

Some groups don't like the randomness of hp rolling, and instead use the average, rounded up. Alternatively, you can use the retraining options in Ultimate Campaign to allow PCs to fix bad hp rolls. Note that under that system, all PCs can eventually buy maximum results for all hit die rolls.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
We use average rounded up in our groups. We had a rogue roll 1,1,2 on his 1d8 for levels 2-4, and everyone agreed we'd just convert to average on the spot.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
I always just give my players average rounded up, or max HP (depending on the tone of the campaign).

Rolling for HP is pretty stupid when every creature and NPC uses average HP anyways.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Tangentially related, favored class bonus applies to first level as well (I got this wrong for a while, thinking it only applied if you "gained" a level, and 1st level wasn't "gaining" one).

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

There's a table for average HP per hit die in the PFS guide. If you don't think it's funny for your barbarian to roll 1s on every hit die (it is), don't roll them, just use that table.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Arivia posted:

Note that your first hit die is always maximum if you're a PC. (Does not apply to characters with levels in NPC classes or with racial HD.)

Note that this means Eidolons, Special Mounts, and Animal Companions don't get max HP to start with. That's a very common mistake.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mairn posted:

Game is Saturday and I have no idea what I am even going to play. Or if I will even bother to play at this rate.
How about the steal-other-classes-class-features-to-make-the-fighter-interesting Fighter

Martial Master gets the Brawlers ability to snag combat feats at a moments notice. Eldritch Guardian gives you a familiar that can use ANY combat feat you have. Mutation Warrior gives you Mutagens from the Alchemist, which can give you flight, natural weapons, or up to +8 to a physical ability score. Ask your DM if you can take Extra Discovery and Improved Familiar. You're going to have more feats than you know what to do with.

you can replace Mutation Warrior with Dervish of Dawn for pseudo pounce, but there are a couple of ways to get pounce with a feat (If you don't mind a Dex build I'd probably go Kitsune with Swift Kitsune Shapechanger and Vulpine Pounce, but it's been a while since I looked into the pounce options). If you want a simpler build you can combo Lore Warden with Martial Master for a +8 bonus to ALL combat maneuvers and free Combat Expertise. A couple more skill points won't go amiss either. I wish I could find another good official archetype that combos with Lore Warden/Martial Master, though.

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

If you want a simpler build you can combo Lore Warden with Martial Master for a +8 bonus to ALL combat maneuvers and free Combat Expertise. A couple more skill points won't go amiss either. I wish I could find another good official archetype that combos with Lore Warden/Martial Master, though.

go figure, after 3 weeks of waffling between builds, I just made this very character. I'm looking forward to it, especially since my dm is letting us play with variant multiclasses. Magus arcane pool and grabbing Maneuver Mastery arcana? Hell yes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Scrimsax posted:

go figure, after 3 weeks of waffling between builds, I just made this very character. I'm looking forward to it, especially since my dm is letting us play with variant multiclasses. Magus arcane pool and grabbing Maneuver Mastery arcana? Hell yes.
I didn't mention it because his DM doesn't like Path of War, but if yours does both Lore Warden and Martial Master are compatible with the Myrmidon Fighter Archetype, too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I know multi-classing and optimization is kind of PF's thing, but are there examples of good/competitive single-class builds where the strength comes just a good selection of feats and abilities and equipment, that also aren't full casters?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know multi-classing and optimization is kind of PF's thing, but are there examples of good/competitive single-class builds where the strength comes just a good selection of feats and abilities and equipment,
Ye-

quote:

that also aren't full casters?
No.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know multi-classing and optimization is kind of PF's thing, but are there examples of good/competitive single-class builds where the strength comes just a good selection of feats and abilities and equipment, that also aren't full casters?
competitive to what?

My general advice is to look to the 2/3rds casters. 6th level spells is enough to be effective but usually not enough to break the game. Most of them lose too much from multiclassing to dabble around as well, and there are some ridiculous racial fcb's.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Single class paladins are extremely competitive as long as you're doing a typical campaign where evil foes are common. PF's smite evil is really, really strong and PF paladins aren't super MAD like 3.5's (you only really need Strength and Charisma thanks to the smite evil AC bonus reducing the need for Dex and swift action self-Lay On Hands reducing the need for Con).

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

gradenko_2000 posted:

Half-casters fit this bill pretty much universally; Bard, Inquisitor, Alchemist are all pretty strong, and tend to have very good flexibility by virtue of good class features with spells layered on top of them. They usually don't want to multiclass either, since it'd cost them spellcasting and their base class ability progression.

For that matter, most people in PF don't want to multiclass much, a few builds aside like an Unarmed Warpriest scooping Master of Many Styles Monk for a level or two. How good/competitive something like a single class Rogue is is a good question (spoiler, not very), but I generally don't see multiclassing in PF being anywhere near as common as it is in 3.5.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zurai posted:

Single class paladins are extremely competitive as long as you're doing a typical campaign where evil foes are common. PF's smite evil is really, really strong and PF paladins aren't super MAD like 3.5's (you only really need Strength and Charisma thanks to the smite evil AC bonus reducing the need for Dex and swift action self-Lay On Hands reducing the need for Con).

Or dex and charisma, since smite evil works with bows and archery is kinda boss compared to melee anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RPZip posted:

For that matter, most people in PF don't want to multiclass much, a few builds aside like an Unarmed Warpriest scooping Master of Many Styles Monk for a level or two.

Oh, ok. Only reason I asked is that while I would expect the raw/core Fighter and Rogue to want (if not need) multi-classing, I also see cool classes/archetypes like the Martial Master, Mutation Warrior, Bloodrager, Samurai, or even the 3rd-party Psychic Warrior and Warder and got to wondering how well they'd stack up if they just went straight down the line.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh, ok. Only reason I asked is that while I would expect the raw/core Fighter and Rogue to want (if not need) multi-classing, I also see cool classes/archetypes like the Martial Master, Mutation Warrior, Bloodrager, Samurai, or even the 3rd-party Psychic Warrior and Warder and got to wondering how well they'd stack up if they just went straight down the line.

Generally speaking, most decent classes gain a lot from being single-classed in PF due to the no-dead-levels setup. The only really blatant example I can think of that hates going to 20 on its own class is the Path of War Mystic, for whom a one or two level dip in Deadly Fist Warsoul Soulknife is so good that it makes the level 20 benefit pale in comparison, since it makes you fully WIS SAD which is hilariously potent on a class that can already rack up stratospheric save DCs and terrific burst.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I think the other thing about multiclassing is that it opens up a lot of fun weird options. You can go Empiricist/Mindchemist for huge Knowledge checks and fairly dang good SAD skill checks. You can go Unarmed Fighter/Master of Many Styles to get Pummeling Style/Charge and Janni Style/Rush at level 4, which is hilarious. Or you can get Kirin Style/Path and just do goofy poo poo and skitter all around fights, and maybe I dunno Dragon Style/Roar. Maybe you wanna get cheesy and go for an Oracle/Paladin and heal the gently caress out of everything, or go Bloodrager/Unchained Barbarian for double rage shenanigans. How does double rage work with rage powers? gently caress if I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Or dex and charisma, since smite evil works with bows and archery is kinda boss compared to melee anyway.

Yeah, Paladin archers feel like cheating against evil enemies. Who needs save or die spells when you can just shoot a couple arrows and explode a demon 4 CR above your level?