Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'm using a stock rom and my battery life is much worse than when I was running kitkat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not really surprising, considering 4.4 is three years old. Developers have had plenty of time to iron out bugs, not so much with 5.0/5.1.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

For fair comparison, how much would an auto insurance policy with £1 million in coverage cost per month? And would you carry that level of coverage on your bicycle if the monthly premium went from lunch money amounts to a sizeable percentage of your monthly income?

I can't give you a comparison for a million (and I'm too lazy to convert to British weight units) but I carry $500k with full glass, comprehensive, collision, and unisured-underinsured and I pay about $100 per month for a Focus ST. The base Fiesta cost about $65/mo.

I don't have enough assets to bother with an umbrella policy over that, but a friend of mine pays about $150 per year for a $2.5m umbrella policy that will kick in if his other insurance (house or car) is capped out. If I ever manage to drag myself out of debt and collect any sort of real assets, I'll definitely be going that same umbrella policy route.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

I think CM uses the stock kernel. Have you tried using a custom kernel? That helped out a bit too.

CM forked from the normal Android tree about a year ago. There's now AOSP kernels and CM kernels (and ROMs), and of course, they're not compatible, in that you can't use a CM kernel with an AOSP ROM.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Had a laugh seeing this make the rounds on Facebook:

I drive by it at least once a week. The context missing from everything else is that there's at least four strip clubs on the same road within one mile.

Their previous sign was "The second most important rubber you'll ever buy."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ok, time to e/n it out in here.

As I hinted at in DV's thread, I tried to buy a Viper. Well, I did buy it, but it's not the car claimed on the window sticker. The window sticker lists the upgrade dual-mode electronic suspension option.
Somehow or another, my car doesn't have it. I asked the salesguy how to switch modes during the test drive, and neither of us could figure it out. But I thought to myself, hey, it's on the sticker, you can look it up later.

But no, somehow the car didn't get built with it at the factory. After a few days of pestering Chrysler Corporate (they actually have SRT staff at their call center and even 1 guy for Vipers specifically), I got two options:
- check for the value of the missing options
- full buy back

Neither was that satisfying, because I really wanted the car that was on the sticker. Of course, Vipers are uncommon enough that that car (2014 SRT, red, dual-mode suspension) doesn't exist. The dealer found a 2015 white GT that otherwise has the same options, and had said they would work with me on this one. On that note, I opted for the buy-back.
When I finally got ahold of the GM and salesguy on the 2015 GT's price, they gave me a way high figure. Like 8k more than what I paid for the 2014 SRT. I know it's a newer model year and hasn't sat around, but the two cars' MSRPs are less than 1k apart. It really frustrates me that I went out and bought a car only to find out that I don't have that car and can't get that car.

This isn't a great tack, but I read that dealers selling Vipers have to undergo training for the car. The salesguy should have figured out that my car didn't have dual-mode suspension. That's my only thinking right now about how this is their fault and that they should work with me (price-wise) to make it right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Keep pestering them. They hosed up and left you as a customer with a bad impression. It's on them to make up for that, if they don't want you to walk away.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I drive by it at least once a week. The context missing from everything else is that there's at least four strip clubs on the same road within one mile.

Scottsdale road somewhere near the 202? That's the only place I can think of with that many strip clubs that close together.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So, I feel loving terrible.

I know this is from an AI goon. I know it was someone I used to have as a Bookface friend. But I did the great Facebook Cleansing of 2015 and removed over 100 people from my Facebook (I think that number is closer to 200). I know I chatted with a goon at some point about this stuff.

I had some nice computer stuff show up via UPS (networking + storage). I know it's from a goon, I know it's an AI goon, I just don't remember which goon sent this stuff. :saddowns: Probably safe to assume I was drunk during the talk that resulted in this stuff showing up.

So uh, MH from OR, send me a PM or hit me up on Facebook so I can thank you (and discuss if I ever paid you properly). I know we were friends on Facebook at one time, I've sent you a friend request, so you should be able to see my profile (which is normally hidden).

Seriously, I feel like a loving idiot for not knowing who sent this, especially because I can't thank them and only recall the slightest memory of a conversation about this stuff. I do remember some kind of convo about it, but damned if I can remember anything beyond that. :smith:

e: mention what you sent if you send me a PM on the forums, just so I know you're the right person.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 9, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I like my Galaxy S6 but kinda wish I went with the newest Nexus instead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd love to own the Nexus 6, but the price to actually buy it is horrible compared to any other Nexus device.

T-Mobile keeps trying to get me to switch to a postpaid plan, but (a) my plan is now $80/mo instead of $70, I'm currently grandfathered on the $70 plan; and (b) it won't be all-inclusive. My rate is $70, including taxes/fees, I only have to pay sales tax on refills (and since I buy them from out of state, I don't even pay taxes, just a small surcharge). The only benefit to switching to postpaid is I could use T-Mobile's financing for a new phone, but my Nexus 5 works. I can't justify an extra ~$30/month for the next 2-3 years, and that's before even factoring in the extra taxes/fees that going to postpaid would involve.

e: my phone literally gets (download) speeds that blow away my home fiber internet - I've whacked over 100mbit on the phone on a speed test more than a few times (home is 50/50 at the moment, phone usually hits 100/20 or so). If I lived alone, I wouldn't even bother with an ISP, I have enough poo poo on my phone to hide tethering. And I use a ton of data before you count tethering.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 9, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

I tried to buy a Viper.

Whoever you're dealing with has a boss. And that boss has a boss. At some level they don't want that story going social and want it to just go away. Keep putting boots on foreheads until you get the newer car for the sticker difference, that's a fair ask.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Geoj posted:

For fair comparison, how much would an auto insurance policy with £1 million in coverage cost per month? And would you carry that level of coverage on your bicycle if the monthly premium went from lunch money amounts to a sizeable percentage of your monthly income?

I don't even know what you're continuing this line of thinking for, all the initial comment meant was that I was surprised on a bicycle I got one million quid's worth of coverage for trashing someone else's poo poo. On a bicycle. Whereas on a car, a thing it's fairly easy to wreck poo poo with, STR was only covered for one hundred grand in dollar cash. That surprised me.

And you'd really be surprised at how little big money coverage is here, I just took a look at the policy I used to drive my friend's shitbox 1984 Nissan Bluebird to a car show last weekend. Most policies are very similar...

quote:

Section 2
Liability to third parties

Your liability

We will insure you for all amounts which you may have
to pay as a result of you being legally liable for
(a) a person’s death or injury
(b) damage to their property up to a maximum amount
of £5,000,000 for any one claim or number of
claims arising out of one cause as a result of an
accident caused by:
 your car;
 any trailer being towed by your car.
We will also pay any expenses you have our
permission in writing to claim.

£25 a month on that particular car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm so loving glad I don't have to computer janitor my phone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm so loving glad I don't have to computer janitor my phone.

Are you having a stroke?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It turns out Conan O'Brien can be pretty AI too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5KE44xluo

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If there was a car mount that the Nexus 6 fit in, I probably would have bought one a few weeks ago. Hopefully they'll make the next Nexus a little smaller.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

88h88 posted:

I don't even know what you're continuing this line of thinking for

Dude noooooo it's Geoj just let the guy sperg

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I have a Motorola Moto X 2nd Gen and it's great, stock Android. The custom order colors and stuff are neat too. My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus which got me to like stock Android. I didn't even understand it when I first got it, just copied what my friend got. My mom has an S3 and the extra Samsung software isn't great.

Didn't the S6 go backwards a lot from the S5?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2bg1zfD4_Q

Best references to the Mad Max movie yet!

Edit: gently caress, scroll to 3:08 in. Enjoy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SFH1989 posted:

I have a Motorola Moto X 2nd Gen and it's great, stock Android. The custom order colors and stuff are neat too. My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus which got me to like stock Android. I didn't even understand it when I first got it, just copied what my friend got. My mom has an S3 and the extra Samsung software isn't great.
I've had a few carrier modified android phones and they all worked but once I went to a stock android phone (Moto G) I realized how bad they were. I usually rooted them within the first couple weeks, mostly to remove all the poo poo the carriers load up. I've almost bought a Moto X a few times when it's gone on sale but so far my first gen Moto G is working pretty well.

Bluetooth OBD2 adapter showed up yesterday and I played with Torque a bit and cleared the glowplug CEL. Going to play with it a bit more and try not to crash watching it while driving home this afternoon. May have to pick up a simple mount for my phone.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
For anyone having Android battery life problems, try disabling Unified Daemon (EUR) in the application manager. You'll lose functionality with some of the stock widgets like news and stocks or AccuWeather updates, but battery life will improve.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Geirskogul posted:

Are you having a stroke?

All this talk about custom roms and battery saver apps and stuff just makes me laugh a lot. I don't want to have to gently caress around with my phone to get good battery life by replacing the kernel. Yeah, it's nice you CAN do that but the fact that you have to to get good performance out of your phones is ridiculous.

Stock android is the way to go if you want to subject yourself to it, but drat.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do people not understand that the 1m dollars of cover thing almost certainly is for if someone dies or gets seriously injured?
I think my car coverage is like ten million. Which is lucky.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Don't forget, it's not just property damage, it's things like personal injury. Knock someone off a trail and give them a spinal injury, and you could well find the figure involved grows alarmingly.

However:

Yeah. The American system of picking your own liability coverage terrifies me. Basic mandatory minimum should be sufficient third-party cover to deal with, say, 99% of relevant example cases. A five or six figure number is simply unacceptable.

You know what's even more terrifying?
http://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/uninsured-motorists

12.6% uninsured in the US as a whole. That's one in eight drivers.

In Oklahoma... one in FOUR are uninsured. Here in Mass it's "only" a one in 25 chance of the person who hit you not having any insurance.

In most of those states it's illegal to not have insurance.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

What Samsung phone do you have/had? Personally, when it comes to Android, pure Android like on a Nexus phone or bust.

Galaxy Rugby LTE, previously had a Motorola Defy with CM7. Stock Defy, CM and the Galaxy version all feel like alpha releases and they all had the same loving problems (CM less so until all the apps got updates intended for phones with a bit more processor). On the Galaxy the maps/navigation only work right maybe 50% of the time, poo poo randomly crashes/reboots 3 times a week now at least, the stock media player sucks (I've actually reinstalled Winamp ffs) and I've been having crippling memory leaks for a good 4 months now. I've tried diagnosing and culling my apps to the bare minimum to no avail. Oh and the alarm stopped working today, I'm lucky I managed to wake up in time.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bape Culture posted:

Do people not understand that the 1m dollars of cover thing almost certainly is for if someone dies or gets seriously injured?
I think my car coverage is like ten million. Which is lucky.

Yeah most people don't really get how much you need to pay out if you hit somebody, hell even a pedestrian.

My dead beat cousin got hit twice crossing the street, he get enough paid out to him monthly that he can just work at a thrift store and blow obscene amounts of money on booze and drugs. Like the guy has a loving trust fund or something in his name from the damages he won.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My foreman just rolled up in a brand new decked out Ram 1500. The front clip looks agressive as gently caress I love it.

Also I love how my work day is halfway done at 10AM. Plus I might get out early to cop one of my coworkers mad weed candy.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 9, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lightbulb Out posted:

All this talk about custom roms and battery saver apps and stuff just makes me laugh a lot. I don't want to have to gently caress around with my phone to get good battery life by replacing the kernel. Yeah, it's nice you CAN do that but the fact that you have to to get good performance out of your phones is ridiculous.

Stock android is the way to go if you want to subject yourself to it, but drat.

I've only had to flash stock ROMs on my Android phones, and even that is a colossal pain in the rear end. CJing phones is the dumbest poo poo in the world.

Buying into the fruit phone again (last one was a Day 1 iPhone 4) and this N5 is going to be on track data logging and overseas back up duty.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been a bit annoyed with steering wheel shake, at any speed above ~110kph getting progressively worse at higher speeds. My wheels were reasonably well-balanced when I get new tires two years ago, but I guess the rubber settles or something and slowly ruins the balance.

So I went to the local tire shop that uses a Hunter Engineering®™ Road Force®™ GSP9700®™ Wheel Balancer®™, because it's supposed to be the all-singing all-dancing suck-your-cock-and-make-you-breakfast queen of all wheel balancing machines. It certainly looks expensive enough.

And whaddayaknow, everything's smooth as glass now even at severely extra-legal speeds. It took like 30 grams total to properly balance out one of the front wheels, which looks huge on the wheel with the new iron weights, but I guess it's not too bad.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BrokenKnucklez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2bg1zfD4_Q

Best references to the Mad Max movie yet!

Edit: gently caress, scroll to 3:08 in. Enjoy.

:perfect: Watch the whole thing, p good imo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Scottsdale road somewhere near the 202? That's the only place I can think of with that many strip clubs that close together.

Close, and yeah that area might be similarly dense - University between 143 and 10.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Who is RL on FB?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Close, and yeah that area might be similarly dense - University between 143 and 10.

Oh yea, I haven't driven in that area for years, so I'd forgotten about the concentration there. That area makes more sense for the car shop too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
God drat, this is a strange virus or something I am fighting off.

I woke up yesterday and I felt like slightly dizzy but I figured ah just shake it off go to work etc. Get to work and I feel worse, like I can barely walk and I vomited. Started experiencing a head ache so I am super worried now, figuring something worse. I told the boss and hes like well, you gotta be off 24, blah blah blah. Other wise, hes being a complete oval office to a guy that could be experiencing something serious. What ever, my wife runs over, picks me up and takes me to the ER. Did a ton of tests and every thing is fine. CT scan, blood work 2 times just to make sure. Either way, the doctor told me to be home for a day just to see what happens.

I feel fine today and getting small tiny bouts of dizziness. gently caress I was worried I was going to have a stroke or collapse at work. it sucks getting old and actually having to worry about heart attacks and strokes. Not saying that some one at 32 can have it, but god drat that poo poo makes you worry.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
that happens to me a couple times a year, it's probably a migraine.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

I've only had to flash stock ROMs on my Android phones, and even that is a colossal pain in the rear end. CJing phones is the dumbest poo poo in the world.

Buying into the fruit phone again (last one was a Day 1 iPhone 4) and this N5 is going to be on track data logging and overseas back up duty.

I went from a iPhone 4 to a Note 2 and holy poo poo after a year I was so ready to dump that fucker. Got a 5S and now I have a 6 Plus and they own p hard

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

God drat, this is a strange virus or something I am fighting off.

I woke up yesterday and I felt like slightly dizzy but I figured ah just shake it off go to work etc. Get to work and I feel worse, like I can barely walk and I vomited. Started experiencing a head ache so I am super worried now, figuring something worse. I told the boss and hes like well, you gotta be off 24, blah blah blah. Other wise, hes being a complete oval office to a guy that could be experiencing something serious. What ever, my wife runs over, picks me up and takes me to the ER. Did a ton of tests and every thing is fine. CT scan, blood work 2 times just to make sure. Either way, the doctor told me to be home for a day just to see what happens.

I feel fine today and getting small tiny bouts of dizziness. gently caress I was worried I was going to have a stroke or collapse at work. it sucks getting old and actually having to worry about heart attacks and strokes. Not saying that some one at 32 can have it, but god drat that poo poo makes you worry.

Did they check for migraines and/or vertigo? Might want to look into that. My wife had that a while back. Dizziness to the point of nausea, headaches, heartburn. It freaked her out so bad she just worried herself and compounded it. Spent a day in the hospital, tests were all negative for bad poo poo. Went to a specialist and they tagged it as some kind of weird chronic vertigo. It flares up every once in a while, but they showed her some exercises to do to try to alleviate the symptoms. Feel better man.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Scrambles posted:

that happens to me a couple times a year, it's probably a migraine.

If it is, first time. Just scared the crap out of me, my dads side of the family has a big history of strokes and heart disease. So you could understand the paranoia

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Did they check for migraines and/or vertigo? Might want to look into that. My wife had that a while back. Dizziness to the point of nausea, headaches, heartburn. It freaked her out so bad she just worried herself and compounded it. Spent a day in the hospital, tests were all negative for bad poo poo. Went to a specialist and they tagged it as some kind of weird chronic vertigo. It flares up every once in a while, but they showed her some exercises to do to try to alleviate the symptoms. Feel better man.

I have no idea. I took some Dramamine and it seems to quell any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bought a new SSD to replace my current one (going to be gifted to a friend for her aging Mac Mini). I'm good at money.

• Locked thread