Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i had to go to work so i cant talk to norm.

but! a toolbox i bought to put a server power supply in thats too small for that fits those sla batteries just perfect. im gonna make a lil batt box tonight i think if its slow up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

It matches my pants

oh poo poo

:sludgepal:

:vince:

to do:
straps!!!! for real every time i pick this thing up it feels like the buckle is gonna... well... buckle
fuse(s?) probably
foam to keep batteries from moving at all (its pretty tight as is)
proper power pole surface mount thing, usb/cig outlets maybeee??

and that leaves me 2 12v batteries to put towards power wheels fuckery. one of those 2 might be bulged tho, but i think its just an air pocket in the sticker??? idk ill check it out later

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i mean you saw my setup but i like to just have inline car fuses on the + feed off the battery into each different branch off

i think the utility tray on top with random adapters/tools is pretty neat tho as long as there is no way they can fall into / under the tray with heavy shuffling and short anything

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
thats a good point. i will seal up that hole in the middle once i mount power poles on the side. i cant find this for a reasonable price shipped ($5 shipping is lame imho). i guess if i wait and find some other poo poo i need i could make it worth it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I don't like these battery straps from Walmart. I'm gonna find something with clips that are easy to quick release and also able to really tighten down. blah.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Well poo poo. I got my coax in today and made an 8 foot monopole, but I can't find where it resonates. It's just a vertical section of cpvc with a wire running up it, and the wire is connected to the coax center conductor.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
*flips your antenna design steps guide sheet right-side-up*

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
8 feet will resonate right at the top end of 10 mhz. what's your counterpoise/ground

---

i built a gorgeous and bulletproof 4 element 6 meter yagi. its not up yet, i gotta set the element lengths, but it will survive any denver winter and should be pretty good for 6. will post pics in the am as well as start on the 2 meter one

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2m beam

6m beam

what i wound up doing for element mounts (that's a 3/8" hdpe cutting board from safeway, excellent rf insulator and won't get UV trashed for a while)

the tape is on there so i can perfect the element lengths. i'll run a self tapping screw through the ends when i'm done

my software says about 13 db gain over a dipole and 22 db front to back with the 6m yagi at 20 feet, and about 17 db dipole gain and over 30 db front to back (lol) on the 2m yagi at 24 feet

i even tested them stacked, should not see much interaction at all

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dude thats ancient, like 20s or 30s do not gently caress that up do not gently caress that up

holy gently caress, those resistors

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that's cool atomicthumbs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they're up

looks crooked cause camera angle, its all level and square
2m is at 22 feet, 6m is at 18 feet

im covered in sweat

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

im covered in sweat

I love it when you talk chirpy to me.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

they're up

looks crooked cause camera angle, its all level and square
2m is at 22 feet, 6m is at 18 feet

im covered in sweat

purdy. fence post top rail?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

dude thats ancient, like 20s or 30s do not gently caress that up do not gently caress that up

holy gently caress, those resistors

it aint mine

second guy is operating the frequency-selective voltmeter to make sure the first guy can actually hear stuff

the maritime radio historical society and everyone associated own

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

purdy. fence post top rail?

yeah. its 20 feet tall. i cut one piece in half so its 5 ft - 10 ft - 5 ft, so the top anchor at 10 feet wasn't on a joint

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im an absolute idiot and to prove it just applied for a vanity joke call sign

that in CW sounds nearly exactly like DX CQ

just to be confusing as poo poo

lol, im now rekt if i ever operate in CW. gently caress it tho

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
actually what i intended as a trollish kind of joke might actually work to my favor now that i think about it because it's just going to make peoples ears raise and get them confused so they will listen closer lol.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
picked up my DS1074z last week, it's a pretty great scope, i like it a lot more than the similar tektronix MSOs i've used at work, and a huge upgrade from the HP1740a i've been using the last five years

sample screenshot from my redundant 10 MHz amplifier showing the switching-delay when an input fails:

takes between 2-3 cycles of 10 MHz to switch, which isn't a lot really assuming the output is used to phase lock another oscillator instead of directly as a clock

oh and earlier today i picked up my new DSA815-TG at the DHL office, it's also really great, RF specs aren't too far off from the R&S ESL6 i normally use

for fun i decided to check the tuning of the RX bandpass in my D-Star repeater, and managed to take it from 30 to 37 dB rejection of the TX carrier

annoyance: when multiple markers are enabled, only the selected one is displayed with measurements, most other brands will display all active markers with frequency and amplitude on the main window

it came with the latest firmware revision, which means the option keys are all different so i'll lose the EMI filters, SWR plotter and advanced measurement package once the trial runs out, but it's not like i'm doing EMC or complex modulations at home anyway so no huge loss

--

to celebrate i put together a LNA i designed with an Epcos SAW filter for 1090 MHz, turns out whoever draws datasheets for epcos is a dick who put the pin-numbering on a projection seen from the bottom of the device.
so now i have to unsolder the ceramic filter package (no leads of course) and do a bit of PCB modding to get the input/outputs wired properly

it's a good job i waited to order the 434.45 MHz version of the PCB, which uses the exact same footprint :v:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not much news. we migrated most hamchat to slack as SA sucks and irc #hamradio never took off

been wailing on 6m pretty hard, working Portland and norcal most afternoons. Modded the windom into a long wire and added a few feet. HF antenna 1 is now a 90 foot inverted L. currently fed against the vertical's ground plane (eight radials on the concrete) but I'm gonna mod this to use the chain link fence as ground

2m beam got me 20 over s9 reports on the ssb net this week. i'm boomin' now

Colorado Springs hamfest is saturday. have a hotel for friday night so i can be there at 8am when doors open. shopping for cw paddle and headphones. got enough radios for now (lolwut)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I have the opportunity to buy an old HP 1742a scope, for maybe around $50. is this thing any good

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

I have the opportunity to buy an old HP 1742a scope, for maybe around $50. is this thing any good

at $50 it might be worth it if working, it's easy to service and calibrate (relatively speaking), nice modular design internally. a lot of card edge connectors that can develop bad connections, but on the other hand they're gold plated so cleaning should usually be enough and removing the boards isn't too hard. the 1740a at least has an internal delay line, something that most cheaper scopes of the era lack (it's literally a coil of coax inside the unit)

mostly it depends on how hard a life it's lived, it's a pretty old model so the CRT phosphor might be dying if it's been used regularly, i got lucky and got one that seems to have spent its entire life in a storage closet

one thing to note is that they're drat near unrepairable if things like the vertical drivers die, most of the logic and vertical amplifier chain is HP custom ASICs that are impossible to replace

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i also have the option of an instek os-622 or a tek 2215 but I feel like those are probably worse.

also some BK Precision 20mhz piece of junk but that's probably only good for calibrating stereos

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the 1740 series is all quality scopes, huge though.
i'd suggest trying it out quickly to make sure the range switches all work if you can, old HP gear is also notorious for bad leaf contacts inside things like time-base switches (though i haven't heard of that specific issue on this series)
stay away from the 1741a with the adjustable persistence displays though, i've never seen a working one

never used a tek 2215 so can't speak to the quality or reliability there, afaik it's only 60 mhz but that's not a huge downside if you ask me

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i also have a tek 564 storage scope on a shelf but i have absolutely no clue how that'd be useful for anything

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I went ahead and just trashed that cpvc antenna because that poo poo just isn't rigid enough, and the radials I tried tacking on were garbage. Maybe it should be a dipole made of copper pipe instead with a balun.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I went ahead and just trashed that cpvc antenna because that poo poo just isn't rigid enough, and the radials I tried tacking on were garbage. Maybe it should be a dipole made of copper pipe instead with a balun.

what freq is it for?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

PuTTY riot posted:

what freq is it for?

28-29.7MHz

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
1090 MHz LNA is mostly complete, just missing the bias tee to feed 12V over the coax, modding the SAW filter footprint was pretty straight forward with the rework tools at work + a sharp scalpel

after rework, two pads swapped

amplifier response with -50 dBm input from the tracking generator:

total bandwidth is about 30 MHz, but the out of band attenuation is very good

running for around 30 seconds in peak hold, rtl1090 read around 120 packets per second

effective range seems to be at least doubled compared to unamplified based on a 10 minute check against fr24

already mounted it in a metal box with N connectors at both ends, once i build the bias tee i can weatherproof it properly and zip tie it to the railing

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

longview posted:

it came with the latest firmware revision, which means the option keys are all different so i'll lose the EMI filters, SWR plotter and advanced measurement package once the trial runs out, but it's not like i'm doing EMC or complex modulations at home anyway so no huge loss

You can unlock all the options for free using this

It will work for your DSA and the DS1074z

it's pretty risk free and you dont even need to flash a new firmare, you type the serial number, enter the option mask you want then you type the code it gives you in the option menu on your scope/sa like you would if you actually bought the options

EDIT: if you upgrade the ds1074z use the option mask DSER which is everyhting BUT the 500uV range. the ds1000z doesn't have the hardware for it so it's pretty weird theres an option for that. then again theres an option to unlock your bandwidth to 100mhz, which isnt even an option you can buy...

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
yeah i already did that for the 1074z, but the latest DSA815 firmware rejects those keys

there's a bit of discussion in the last few pages of the EEVBlog forums including shorting out a pin on an IC to stop the trial countdown, but i expect that eventually they'll work out what's changed

100 MHz bandwidth seems to work on the 1074z, presumably it's some kind of test option or something they considered, as far as i could work out the 500µV range tended to cause random resets and seemed to be a software gain setting instead of actual hardware so yeah that's pointless
the DSA815 also has a 10 Hz RBW option that you can't buy (the DSA832+ has it, i suspect it's disabled because they fit a lower quality oscillator in the 815 so phase noise might not be good enough to sell a 10 Hz BW that meets their spec)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i upgraded my 1054z and it works p well, i didnt know about the 500uv range and im just too lazy to figure out how to remove the option so i just never use it

its a shame about the DSA.. youre doing the right thing about not shorting pins though

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
LNA installed and waterproofed, i added proper labelling after i took the picture

using a slovakian (home) made 5/8 wave antenna, i ran it unamplified overnight and FR24 reported around 40 nm maximum range, with preamp it goes out to 100 nm (usually at FL200)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
got a 12v cctv power supply. its a shitload smaller/quieter than my server power supplies (i have like 5 now, lmao).

is there an easy way to trick the server ones into thinking there's a fan running when there's not? i'm assuming i'm not gonna burn up a 500+ watt power supply pulling 100 watts w/o a fan and if i do, i don't really care.

I have some boxy ones (instead of the long rectangle ones) that I could probably remove from the metal case and put into a battery box/toolbox. is that a bad idea?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
cctv also comes w/ a nice lil metal box i could maybe use for sdr dongles. kinda big for that tho.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

it's a little off-topic but since you guys like to buy poo poo from china, have you come across any cheap basic cellphones that looked ok? wondering if maybe i shouldn't be spending all my free time loving around on a smartphone and should just get a fliphone instead. also :quig:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
we actually espouse loudly from all rooftops to not buy things with radios in them from china

because they suck heartily

small parts and poo poo tho go hog wild

• Locked thread