Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-08/china-bans-stock-sales-by-major-shareholders-for-six-months

Too lazy to quote this poo poo or url it properly on a drat phone. I spit boiled potatoes all over my book when I read this. If you wanted your smoking gun of China being hosed, here you go.

hahaha holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So, in layman's terms, what sort of impact will China freezing stockholders from selling have? Has it ever been done before during a massive selloff?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
They've been freezing up to 60% of the listed shares within minutes of opening for days, anyways.

Regardless, I feel like this summer is gonna be fuuuuucked up for the global economy and this is just the opening chords.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Who cares? Retail investors drove the bubble and they will drive the crash. Preventing holders of 5% or more really wont have any effect in this case. In a stable market major shareholders selling can drive a panic crash of that stock but this situation isn't being driven by major shareholders.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

cowofwar posted:

Who cares? Retail investors drove the bubble and they will drive the crash. Preventing holders of 5% or more really wont have any effect in this case. In a stable market major shareholders selling can drive a panic crash of that stock but this situation isn't being driven by major shareholders.

As someone pointed out in the China thread, it does shackle the biggest rats to the sinking ship. It's a good move.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

One of my coworkers is drinking to Kool Aid so hard when I asked her what would happen after her planned condo buy if prices dropped she looked me in the eye and said "Toronto real estate will never ever drop in price from here on in" and then went on to try to justify it. Like never as in she honestly believes prices can only continue to rise literally forever never dropping once.

This is woman with a business degree :psyduck:

On the flip side, my other coworker is convinced they won't raise interest rates in the next decade because the economy is in the toilet (and will be for the next ten years) and raising even a little would cause it to toilet harder, so why not buy now. That feels kinda dumb to me but I don't have anything to counter it with, so does anyone got some ammo for me? I'm getting really invested in these lunchroom debates because I think I'm the only one left who thinks condo buying is retarded in this market.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

One of my coworkers is drinking to Kool Aid so hard when I asked her what would happen after her planned condo buy if prices dropped she looked me in the eye and said "Toronto real estate will never ever drop in price from here on in" and then went on to try to justify it. Like never as in she honestly believes prices can only continue to rise literally forever never dropping once.

Well to be fair, does she believe prices will continue to rise, or does she think that we are reaching the peak and it will then plateau forever?

I know people who think that way, that prices won't go down but they won't go much higher either.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Well to be fair, does she believe prices will continue to rise, or does she think that we are reaching the peak and it will then plateau forever?

I know people who think that way, that prices won't go down but they won't go much higher either.

The first.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Well then I'm glad she's getting in on buying a condo before she's priced out of the market!! The supply is limited in TO after all

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don' t know why you're not encouraging her to buy. Remember, you're here to entertain us with stories about financial failure.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

On the flip side, my other coworker is convinced they won't raise interest rates in the next decade because the economy is in the toilet (and will be for the next ten years) and raising even a little would cause it to toilet harder, so why not buy now. That feels kinda dumb to me but I don't have anything to counter it with, so does anyone got some ammo for me? I'm getting really invested in these lunchroom debates because I think I'm the only one left who thinks condo buying is retarded in this market.

What exactly are you gaining from those debates other than potentially annoying your coworkers?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brannock posted:

What exactly are you gaining from those debates other than potentially annoying your coworkers?

Maybe trying to help someone from making a potentially life ruining decision? Not everyone just wants to watch the world burn you know. :(

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe trying to help someone from making a potentially life ruining decision? Not everyone just wants to watch the world burn you know. :(

I'm happy to try to sway people who are sitting on the fence, but I don't know if it's possible to convert someone who's that far gone and that unversed in economics that they think a price increase can continue in perpetuity.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Not everyone just wants to watch the world burn you know. :(

Those people should buy in Nelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGZF9KnJFmc&feature=youtu.be

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Twitterati are suggesting that mainlanders are going to need to repatriate their cash since it's tied up in the stock market and they're not allowed to sell.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cultural Imperial posted:

Twitterati are suggesting that mainlanders are going to need to repatriate their cash since it's tied up in the stock market and they're not allowed to sell.

What? They think people who engage in capital flight are going to liquidate foreign assets to put them back in the reach of the PRC? If anything this is going to inflate the Vancouver/Toronto/Melbourne/Auckland property bubbles even further as anyone who can gets their poo poo the gently caress out of China while they can.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

the talent deficit posted:

What? They think people who engage in capital flight are going to liquidate foreign assets to put them back in the reach of the PRC? If anything this is going to inflate the Vancouver/Toronto/Melbourne/Auckland property bubbles even further as anyone who can gets their poo poo the gently caress out of China while they can.

Creditors in Canada send you angry letters and take you to court.

Creditors back in China give your Aunty Wei the rubber hose treatment in a basement until you cough up the money.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I cannot imagine capital controls getting looser in the aftermath of this either.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

ocrumsprug posted:

I cannot imagine capital controls getting looser in the aftermath of this either.

Oh yeah, I have to believe HSBC has been informed that anybody looking to move money overseas is to be flagged immediately.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Franks Happy Place posted:

Oh yeah, I have to believe HSBC has been informed that anybody looking to move money overseas is to be flagged immediately.

HSBC, notable bastion of integrity and honest reporting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ceciltron posted:

Yeah, I was going to post something sarcastic about HSBC never being involved in massive money laundering or other illegal activities.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ceciltron posted:

See Frank's earlier post about the difference between Canadian and Chinese creditors. I think something similarly applies to law enforcement.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

See Frank's earlier post about the difference between Canadian and Chinese creditors. I think something similarly applies to law enforcement.

Beaten, but yes. If you think the Chinese government is going to play by the SEC's Marquess of Queensberry Rules playbook at a time when trillions of dollars of wealth are evaporating... well uuh, good luck with that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

It will be be Ok to move your money if you have the special HSBC mafia or terrorist leader account.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

This is woman with a business degree :psyduck:

Don't forget that due to the bubble owning a condo ends up being much more expensive than renting a apartment.

Somehow being exposed to highfinancial risk is worth a $1000 housing cost each month. There morons would rather own at $3500 a month than rent for $1500 to $2000 a month.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

It was originally that, but to be honest at this point it's just from an insane fascination with the mental gymnastics they're going through to paint it as an impossible to fail investment.

Plus I mean, poo poo I'd rather have a lively debate over lunch than just stare at my food. It's a far safer topic than politics anyway.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 9, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shadow-mortgage-lending-on-the-rise-as-house-prices-soar-1.3144317?cmp=rss

Shadow mortgage lending on the rise as house prices soar
Shadow lending represents about 4 to 5 per cent of Canada's mortgage market

One private lender, who asked not to be named because she is close to the real estate market and fears hurting her business, took out a C$400,000 mortgage on her paid-off home at 2.49 per cent and then gave that money to a broker that lent it to a borrower at a higher rate, for a fee.

"Who the hell is going to give me 9 per cent return?" said the lender, who said she has recourse to the borrower's assets if he defaults.

ahaha borrowing against your house to invest back into real estate :eyepop:

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nine-west-store-owner-in-canada-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-1.3142837

Nine West store owner in Canada files for bankruptcy protection
Filing is latest in series of Canadian retail bankruptcy filings and store closings

Other operators of Canadian retail outlets have also run into financial trouble in the past two years:

In January, less than two years after opening, Target announced it was shuttering its 133 locations and leaving Canada.
Last December, Mexx filed for bankruptcy protection in Canada and said it would close all its 95 stores.
In November, parent company Reitmans said it was closing its 107 Smart Set locations.
In August, Bombay, Bowring & Co. and Benix & Co. three retailers owned by the Benitah family filed for bankruptcy protection and said it would close 110 stores.
Also in August, Holt Renfrew said it would close its stores in Ottawa and Quebec City.
In May 2014, Jacob abandoned restructuring efforts and announced it was closing all of its 92 stores.

Mentioned here, only retail losses. Other sectors are on the downturn or flat.

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/value-of-building-permits-drops-three-times-more-than-expected-1.3142982

Value of building permits drops three times more than expected
Ontario, B.C., Alberta, N.L. and Nova Scotia led the decline

The drop in Ontario came mostly as a result of lower construction intentions for institutional buildings, multi-family dwellings and single-family houses.

The value of multi-family home permits fell 22.9 per cent to $1.6 billion in May due to a drop in every province and territory, except British Columbia, New Brunswick and Nunavut.

Our real estate driven economy is not in a recession :nallears:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 9, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

It will be be Ok to move your money if you have the special HSBC mafia or terrorist leader account.

Don't forget that due to the bubble owning a condo ends up being much more expensive than renting a apartment.

Somehow being exposed to highfinancial risk is worth a $1000 housing cost each month. There morons would rather own at $3500 a month than rent for $1500 to $2000 a month.

The absolute key here is that owners truly believe every cent they pay towards their mortgage they will get back, plus growth. That $2000 a month you're blowing on rent is vanishing, you won't ever get it back. The $3500 a month they're spending is basically just them investing, in their mind it's no different than a family managing to tuck $3500 a month towards their TFSA e-series funds for their retirement, except way safer and with way better returns. It's an investment that makes you money plus you get to live in it, why renters are just idiots blowing their money getting nothing in return.

This of course would all be true if prices were to always go up at the rate they are currently going up. This has never happened before, but before doesn't matter because this time it's different and you're an idiot not to see how different it is this time.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 9, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I simultaneously love and hate History's penchant for repeating itself

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Soaring Vancouver home prices spur anger toward foreign buyers

After years of watching Vancouver housing prices climb, driven in part by Chinese investment, Eveline Xia came to a painful realization: Despite having a Masters degree and solid career prospects, she might never be able to afford a home in the city where she grew up.

That didnt seem right, and so the 29-year-old grabbed a marking pen, hand lettered a sign listing her credentials, snapped a selfie, and posted it to Twitter under the hashtag #DontHave1million.

The tweet went viral, and hundreds of other young Vancouver residents soon began expressing their own frustrations in tweets about the red hot housing market - and the feverish foreign investment they believe has fueled it.

Average, hardworking Canadian residents are being forced to compete for housing with the global wealthy, said Xia, who immigrated to Canada from China as child. People here are getting angry.

That anger has contributed to a simmering xenophobia in Vancouver, a multicultural coastal city long known for its inclusiveness. With virtually no official data on foreign buyers available, many of those squeezed out of the market are left to believe the worst.

That has residents like Xia pressing the government to track international buyers, scrutinize the source of their funds and tax property speculation, before the anti-Chinese sentiment gets out of hand.

Last summer, a small anti-immigration group covered up Chinese symbols on real estate signs in the affluent suburb of West Vancouver with stickers reading Please Respect Canadas Official Languages.

And police are investigating incidents on neighboring Vancouver Island, where anti-Chinese pamphlets appeared in affluent neighborhoods and signs for Chinese real estate agents were defaced with racial epithets and messages like Go home and Not welcome.

A recent poll found that two-thirds of metropolitan Vancouver residents believe foreigners investing is a main cause of high housing costs, and 70 percent said the government should work to improve affordability.

SKYROCKETING PRICES

In the last five years, the median selling price for residential properties in Vancouver has jumped 57 percent to C$1.1 million, according to data compiled by Reuters from the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver. The price of detached homes has soared 82 percent, to C$2.1 million. The median household income, meanwhile, has risen by an estimated 13 percent in the same period, according to Statistic Canada.

But since the government keeps no records on the nationality of home purchasers, evidence that money from China is driving up housing prices is largely anecdotal.

In interviews, five real estate agents who primarily sell homes on Vancouvers exclusive west side estimated that between 50 percent and 80 percent of their clients have financial ties to mainland China.

A Reuters survey of 50 land titles for detached Vancouver Westside homes that sold for more than C$2 million in the last year found that nearly half of the purchasers had surnames typical of mainland China, as distinct from those of earlier waves of immigrants from Taiwan and Hong Kong.

There was no way, however, to determine the citizenship or residency of those buyers. And indeed, many wealthy newcomers from mainland China are permanent residents of Canada.

Activists like Xia are pushing the government to at least start tracking foreign buyers and to make the information public.

By not addressing it, theyre letting anger and resentment build through whispers and at dinner parties, said Xia.

CAPITAL FLIGHT

Residents also have questions about the source of Chinese money being invested in Vancouver property, a concern that came to the fore last year when a prominent developer in the city, Michael Ching Mo Yeung, was named as one of the top 100 fugitives wanted by China as part of Operation Skynet.

The campaign is part of President Xi Jinpings pursuit of suspected corrupt officials who have fled overseas.

In the wake of news about Ching, there have been calls for greater scrutiny of foreign buyers and tougher enforcement of anti-money laundering standards.

I would love someone to look into the due diligence standards [for real estate brokers] around know your customer, said James McDonald, who runs a blog that maps million-dollar homes that sit empty after being purchased by speculators.

He and others note that many properties are purchased by trusts or companies that arent transparent.

But not everyone is convinced that Chinese money is primarily responsible for the rise in housing prices, noting that it has also been fueled by interest rates that are near record lows and a tight supply of detached houses.

The reason why were seeing this racialized narrative is people are looking for a scapegoat, said Victor Wong, the Toronto-based executive director of the Chinese Canadian National Council.

Its infected the population, he added. People have bought into this narrative that theres a flood of foreign money into the market when theres just no evidence beyond a few anecdotes.

MIXED FEELINGS

With frustrations mounting, Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson in May called on British Columbias government to impose a speculation tax.

The province declined, saying there was not enough hard evidence that foreign money was driving the market and that a new tax could hurt existing homeowners.

But even those who benefit from the housing boom have mixed feelings. At a recent open house in Vancouver, real estate agent Fatemeh Nouripour watched group after group of prospective buyers, most of whom appeared to be from mainland China, trudge through a fixer-upper listed for C$1.58 million.

As an agent, I want to sell to whoever will pay the most, Nouripour said. But Im also a mother. My daughter has a Masters degree, she works hard and pays taxes, and she cant afford to buy because foreigners are parking their money here. How fair is that?

I'm sure the government doesn't want to release data because they don't want the populace to latch onto foreign investors as a scapegoat for high prices, but without data, people of course assume the worst and have latched onto foreign investors as a scapegoat for high prices.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Every healthy market has simmering racism ready to explode at any moment, nothing out of the ordinary here.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Femtosecond posted:

And indeed, many wealthy newcomers from mainland China are permanent residents of Canada. 

I like how they pointedly refrain from mentioning that acquiring such residency was a simple matter of handing over enough cash, up until quite recently.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Off topic question----where is the best place to convert Canadian pesos into Euros in Toronto? My nephew is going to Poland for a month and I want to give him some money for his trip. I've already told him to stay there permanently because Canada is sure to implode while he is gone, maybe I'll even join him....

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

jet sanchEz posted:

Off topic question----where is the best place to convert Canadian pesos into Euros in Toronto? My nephew is going to Poland for a month and I want to give him some money for his trip. I've already told him to stay there permanently because Canada is sure to implode while he is gone, maybe I'll even join him....

Poland isn't in the Eurozone, they use the Zloty. The government seems to have abandoned any plans to adopt the Euro for some strange reason.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This works out in your favour though since the zloty is fuckin' cheap. 1:3 ratio.

Tell your nephew not to get into a drinking contest with a pole, assuming he's old enough to do so. I did this, it ended extremely poorly.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can buy things in Euros in Poland just fine, just make sure you know the rough exchange for Złoty and it'll be fine. I would personally live in Canada over Poland, but ymmv.

If you want złoty you need to hit up the polish credit unions, polski town is Roncesvalles in Toronto and Dixie/Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

jm20 posted:

You can buy things in Euros in Poland just fine, just make sure you know the rough exchange for Złoty and it'll be fine. I would personally live in Canada over Poland, but ymmv.

If you want złoty you need to hit up the polish credit unions, polski town is Roncesvalles in Toronto and Dixie/Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga.

Thanks guys, yes, he is two blocks away from the Polish credit union on Roncey, I honestly thought Poland used the Euro. Wow.

The kid has an EU passport, he is seriously thinking of staying somewhere over there, teaching English for a couple of months.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rime posted:

I like how they pointedly refrain from mentioning that acquiring such residency was a simple matter of handing over enough cash, up until quite recently.

Not even handing over, loaning. The government has to give back that 750k.

And I think they re-opened the program again?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
One of the cheapest ways to buy Zloty is to go to your bank and ask them to order it for you, it'll take a few days but at least you'll get the bank rate which is usually lower than that of money exchange bureaus.

When I went to Poland I forgot to check the exchange rate before I went so I got to an ATM and just pressed a random number in the middle of the options and it turned out I got like $90 worth of Zloty.

Which doesn't sound like much, except you can get an awesome restaurant meal for under $10 including a tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Rime posted:

Tell your nephew not to get into a drinking contest with a pole, assuming he's old enough to do so. I did this, it ended extremely poorly.

Yeah I wouldn't do that with anyone in Eastern Europe...