Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jorvan Jozan
[HP: 10/10] [AC: 16]
[Hit Dice: 1d8] [Hit Dice Left: 1/1]
Hero Points: 4/5

The bandit had finally had enough and was abandoning his friends to their fate. Jorvan needed to do all he could to make sure he didn't escape and bring reinforcements. However the bandit was now mounted and putting a great deal of distance between himself and the elf.

Longbow Attack: 1d20+5 7 1d8+3 5

Hero Dice 1 of 6 for Level 1: 1d6 6

Attack now hits!

Lvl. 1 [2/2]: Burning Hands (Domain), Faerie Fire (Domain), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Bless, Detect Magic (Ritual)
Abilities:
Warding Flare [3/3]: Impose disadvantage on attacking enemy within 30 feet that can see by using reaction. Replenishes on Long Rest.

Trast fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
Adrenaline could enable people to do some rather interesting things. In this case, like some kind of child prodigy, Jergo launches himself into the air with a grace and a poise that one would be rather unlikely to expect from a gnomish banker. Flipping head-over-heels and then back again, he lands atop the sloped roof of the stables and manages to catch his balance immediately: it probably helped that he had a rather low center of gravity. From his new vantage point, Jergo can see that his suspicion was correct: someone does indeed appear to be attempting to flee the area on horseback.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
I'm on the HP roller coster. I might was to buy that shield off Oleg considering how tanky I am right now.

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 2/15 AC: 15 HD: 1d12 (1/1) Raging

Maybe it was the rage, or the fact that Happs was the only one left alive still, but switching sides for double the pay didn't sound like a good idea; especially since they were not being paid for this. "You'd die before I ever got paid, soft-skin." He grumbled through the blood in his mouth. As the horse bucked and turned in the clash to blades, Gorom took another great swipe, knocking aside Happ's defenses and delivering him another gruesome gash.

Despite his own wounds, the orc simply refused to relent and he continued to trade blows with the seasoned warrior. The horse's saddle and coat were stained red with the half-orc's blood.

pre:
Attack with Greataxe: 1d20+5 24
Damage: 1d12+5 8

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
reserved: don't post yet ADP, I'm giving Jergo a bard dice for his last-ditch attack on the dude outside.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Durnem Hapford (alias of Clive Wearling)

Rolls, Character Sheet
10/10 HP, 14 AC

Out of the corner of his eye, Clive bears witnesses to the most beautiful feat of graceful mid-flight acrobatics he has ever seen. Daimon does his best to hurl the little banker face-first into a rain gutter, but Jergo somehow contorts his body into an elegant front-flip, stubby arms flawlessly poised, and loving nails the landing.

Clive forces down the urge to applaud, but the corners of his eyes grow a little misty. That little gnome soaring through the air manifested the living embodiment of Clive’s deepest hope. Maybe this won’t be boring after all. Clive voices a whisper of admiration before turning back to the bandit leader.

quote:

-Bonus action: give Jergo a bard dice

Happs appeared to shake off the mental assault, but Clive’s charge definitely had its intended effect: he had clearly saved the half-orc’s rear end. Gorom certainly doesn’t look in a good way, though. Happs knew what he was doing with that scimitar, and for all that Gorom appeared happy to get himself diced to smithereens, Clive isn’t so keen on running into the receiving end of those blades. He knows that he definitely can’t go toe to toe in combat with Happs, and at this point, neither can Gorom, but if Happs isn’t handled immediately, Gorom is going to die. And then what would happen to the favor Gorom owes him? That just wouldn’t stand.

So Clive decides to raise the stakes. He draws himself up and stares down the captain, moving Kahli forward at a proud walk, surreptitiously grasping Gizmo the attack fluff between the fingers of left hand.

Happs hears a voice boom inside of his head. It isn’t telepathy: the cacophonous shout rattles the bones of his jaw and echoes through his skull.

“FOOL! YOU DARE INVOKE THE WRATH OF THE SWORDLORDS? LIFT A FINGER AND WE WILL FLAY THE SKIN OF YOUR ARM AND BURN THE BONE TO ASH. RAISE A SHOUT AND WE WILL RIP OUT YOUR THROAT AND DEVOUR THE SOUL FROM YOUR CHEST. YOU ARE A WORM BEFORE OUR POWER AND WILL KNEEL AND REPENT LEST WE HANG YOUR HEAD ALONGISDE THE REST OF THESE DEAD FOOLS AND FEED YOUR INNARDS TO THE DOGS. THE CLEMENCY OF THE SWORDLORDS WILL NOT BE OFFERED AGAIN.”

Clive does not blink, and he does not so much as twitch his lips. He just stomps relentlessly forward atop the warhorse and quietly, sternly, weaves his illusion.

…He does, however, prepare to turn around and get the gently caress out of there if this doesn’t work.

quote:

- Walk forward 10’ with Kahli
- Cast minor illusion: project a booming voice at the location in the center of Happs’ head
- Try to persuade Happs to give up. Or failing that, to drop his weapons before he comes to his senses.* Persuasion: 2d20k1+7 22, edit: plus a Hero point for an addition 1 makes 23
- Kahli prepares to run back to the stables as fast as possible if the persuasion fails or if Happs begins to move towards Clive.
*Rolling advantage for the persuasion due to the assist from minor illusion and all of his friends just getting murdered?
Because of the illusion’s location INSIDE of Happs head, I would propose that the only person who could have possibly overheard it was MAYBE Gorom or Autumn. It’s only loud to Happs. Clive can do all this without actually saying a word (minor illusion has no V component). Up to the DM to decide.

--------------------------------------------------------
Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (3/5) , Bardic Inspiration (1/3, 1d6), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d8)
Spells (13 DC): 1st (0/2).
status effects: none
(currently under the alias of Durnem the surveyor)

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 6, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen
HP: 7/7 AC: 16 Hero Points: 2/5 HD: 1d6

Honestly a little surprised his little feat of acrobatics worked without cracking open his skull, Jergo turns to see the fleeing bandit he'd heard take an arrow from Jorvan in the back, but the man keeps fleeing. Tutting to himself Jergo mutters "Well well, can't have you warning your friends."

Drawing his focus out in front of him Jergo begins to chant, the temperature around his body dropping as his voice mists out the words of his spell "Vivo kaj morto Mi iras sen Malvarma Tuŝo" the last word escapes his lips and Jergo throws forth his hand, an ethereal copy of his own digits appearing around the throat of the fleeing bandit and wrenching him from his horse, a strong pulse of necrotic energy surging through him. The bandit is a step closer to death by the time he hits the ground.

Looking down from the roof to Daimon and then off toward Jorvan, Jergo raises his tiny fist into the air and shouts "Got'em!"

quote:

aaaaaaand finishing out my extravagant action with a casting of chill touch 14 to hit(8+6 from bard die) for 8 necrotic damage. Coward bandit also can't regain hp until the start of my next turn :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 8, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
The rout is now in full effect. Autumn lodges an arrow into Happs' shoulder from her position atop the roof of the guesthouse, while Gorom rears back for another heavily-weighted swing of his axe. Happs manages a feeble parry, meeting the axe with his own blade mid-air, but the resounding clang of the two weapons leaves everyone in the nearby vicinity surprised that the attempt didn't shatter half the bones in the soldier's arm.
pre:
Happs takes 5 piercing damage from Autumn's arrow.
Happs then takes 8 slashing damage from Gorom's greataxe.
Meanwhile, Jorvan fires off another arrow at the fleeing bandit, this time from well over a hundred paces. His expert marksmanship continues to showcase itself, and the projectile lodges into the man's back with a satisfying 'thwip'. The gnomish banker-turned-acrobat then follows that up with a skeletal fist that grabs the man by the throat and literally drains the life out of him. Without a rider to guide it, his horse continues at a trot for a few moments, but comes to a stop near the bottom of the hill.
pre:
The fleeing man takes 5 piercing damage from Jorvan's arrow, reducing him to 2 HP.
The fleeing man then takes 8 necrotic damage from Jergo's spell, reducing him to 0 HP.
This knocks him unconscious, and he is now dying.
In the aftermath of the group's coordinated assault, although it cannot be seen, the specter of death flits about the area: weighing the value of each life currently being offered to the gods.
pre:
Death save (bandit): 19 (success!)
Death save (fleeing bandit): 4 (failure!)
At this point, Durnem the surveyor makes his move, using an auditory illusion to rattle the confidence (and bones) of his enemy.
pre:
Wisdom save (Happs): 13
As this equals your spell save DC, I am going to say it likely cancels out the advantage.
Your first die roll was the better one, though, so you're still in a good spot with the persuasion roll.
Happs remains on the assault, though both Gorom and Autumn can see that something has clearly rattled him. Probably the unyielding mountain of half-orc muscle and sinew barreling down upon him.
pre:
Action (Happs):  Attack (multiattack) vs. Gorom
 Hit #1 - 14 (miss!)
 Hit #2 - 11 (miss!)
 Hit #3 - 10 (miss!)
"gently caress this, I'm out." Failing to land a solid blow in his entire barrage, Happs kicks off the side of the guesthouse and away from Gorom, clearly making a break for the ladder opposite the main hall.
pre:
Happs uses his movement (30') to run from Gorom.
This triggers an attack of opportunity from the barbarian.
:siren:Combat:siren:
:rolldice: (2/15 HP)
:v: (AC 15, 40 damage, wounded)
:ghost: (3/11 HP, wounded, prone, restrained, 3/4 cover, not suffocating) (AC 12, -13/11 HP, dead) (AC 12, 0/11 HP, unconscious, prone, 1 failed death save, 1 successful death save) (AC 11, 0/32 HP, unconscious, 1 failed death save)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Jorvan Jozan

For a coward who preyed on the innocent this bandit was made of some stern stuff. Badly burned by the light of Desna with many arrows deep in his flesh he still rode on. Jorvan was about to draw back another arrow when the gnome came bouncing onto the roof to elf's right. Jergo wiggled his little fingers and arcane energy flickered about them. The bandit's head jerked and his whole body slumped against the horse.

"Good timing, Mr. Jergo."

Jorvan turned when he heard Happs cry out again. It seemed that he was trying to make an escape. Jorvan moved to the edge of the watchtower and took his aim. He let loose with an arrow but the bandit dodged cleanly.

Longbow Attack: 1d20+5 7 1d8+3 8 christ Orokos another natural 2?

Lvl. 1 [2/2]: Burning Hands (Domain), Faerie Fire (Domain), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Bless, Detect Magic (Ritual)
Abilities:
Warding Flare [3/3]: Impose disadvantage on attacking enemy within 30 feet that can see by using reaction. Replenishes on Long Rest.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm

They certainly had Happs on the ropes now, and in his Rage, Gorom's mind told him the chase was on. The barbarian was like a wolf chasing down a rabbit, except the wolf was on a horse. As the bandit leader turned to flee, Gorom gave him a swift chop with the blade of his axe as he rode after the man.

Undeterred, the bandit scrambled to reach the ladder, but the speed of the horse made it far to easy to keep up with him. Running Happs down, Gorom came down with another vicious overhand strike. As wounded as he was, the half-orc was running purely on his rage. If he stopped attacking for a moment, he'd probably realize just how hurt he was.

pre:
Opportunity Attack: 1d20+5 19
Damage: 1d12+5 7
Chase Happs on horseback
Attack with Greataxe: 1d20+5 24
Damage: 1d12+5 14

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
The soldier deftly rolls out of the way of Jorvan's arrow, only to create an opening that allows the barbarian's axe to carve a sizable wound across his back. As he continues to flee, Gorom follows him at a menacing gallop, and the half-orc's follow-up strike knocks Happs to the ground where he lays - finally - motionless. Gorom appears to have slain him.
pre:
Happs takes 7 slashing damage from Gorom's attack of opportunity.
Happs then takes 14 slashing damage from Gorom's relentless charge.
Happs has fallen prone, and appears to be dead.
Deception (Happs): 21, contested by insight.
:siren:Combat:siren:
:rolldice:
:v: (AC 15, 61 damage, prone, dead?)
:silent: (2/15 HP)
:ghost: (3/11 HP, wounded, prone, restrained, 3/4 cover, not suffocating) (AC 12, -13/11 HP, dead) (AC 12, 0/11 HP, unconscious, prone, 1 failed death save, 1 successful death save) (AC 11, 0/32 HP, unconscious, 1 failed death save)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan Jozan

Happs finally falls to Gorom's great axe. Looking down on the bandit Jorvan couldn't help but feel that some measure of justice had finally been done for Restov. "This man's name was Happs Bydon. He was a captain of the guard and a soldier in service of Restov. He appeared to be a model citizen. The reality was that he was a criminal and a traitor who abandoned his family rather than face up to his crimes. The Swordlords will be pleased to know he's finally paid for his crimes. Gorom if you take off his head and hands we can send them back as proof of his demise."

Insight Roll: 1d20+5 6

Abilities:

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Are we out of initiative now?

Gorom Grofhorm

Gorom was still worked up into a rage, and the amount of abuse he took from this Happs fellow, the suggestion was all Gorom needed to persuade him into mutilating the corpse of the bandit. Dropping down from the horse's back, he positioned himself by the corpses head. "Gladly," he muttered, raising his axe up like an executioner. With no flourish at all, he dropped the axehead down on the neck of the bandit, eager to get the bounty for the wanted man.

pre:
Coup de grâce: 2d20k1+5 25
Damage (critical): 3d12+5 30
I assume from your phrasing he may still be alive, so I included rolls, even if he wasn't unconscious, I scored a crit anyway.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Artist's rendition of Autumn, after the 2nd half-orc crit of the encounter.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Daimon was intending to take a shot at Happs as he fled, but shrugs as he sees the man cut down by Gorom. He unloads his crossbow and walks over to the half-orc and (hoipefully) soon to be headless Happs. "Is that all of them?"

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Clive cringes as Gorom's axe comes crashing down on the head of the bandit leader. That was a perfectly fine green cloak, ruined for no goddamned reason at all. Damnit, man, where is your sense of decorum? I wanted that cloak!

Clive sighs and dismounts, walking Kahli towards the raging barbarian. Maybe this will calm him down.

"Boy am I glad you folks are around. While you all handled these bandits, I've managed to hide in a barn, give away my position while shouting encouragement to Autumn, and nearly break my own fool neck trying to bring a horse to somebody already riding one. I'm sorry guys - I didn't even manage to get off a single shot of my crossbow. Like I said yesterday, I'm just not cut out for this sort of confrontation." Clive quietly slipped Gizmo back into his pocket, feeling quite sure that his companions would be cut to pieces without him.

"Look, maybe I can at least make myself useful checking for survivors and calming the animals." Any such survivors wouldn't be surviving for long, if Clive could help it. Oleg clearly wasn't equipped to run a prison, and Jergo had his man to interview. It would be pragmatic to make sure that things were kept simple for the moment. "Gorom, maybe you can lend a hand rounding up these new arrivals for us first? You seem pretty good with horses."

More to the point, Clive wondered if the horses could be decent sources of information. No use in pulling teeth to get information that might instead be volunteered by those who don't know they are being listened to.

quote:

- Check the bandit to the north. If he's still alive, "reposition" the arrow in his head to make sure he is very dead. Sleight of Hand (kill the bandit) to hide the maneuver from anybody who happens to be watching suspiciously: 1d20+4 14
edit: no longer an issue, ignore
- If he has a dagger on his person, take it for myself.
- Ritual cast "Speak With Animals", then join Gorom and eavesdrop on the horses

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 6, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
"Oh, poo poo."
Happs had, in fact, been faking it. He had perhaps intended to sneak away when you turned your back, or take advantage of a lapse in Gorom's focus in order to strike the man down and buy himself a chance to escape. What he hadn't expected was a brutal mutilation of a corpse. He rolls over on his side, simultaneously attempting to dodge the blow with sudden movement while also trying to parry the attack with his scimitar. His blade shatters almost instantly upon impact with the barbarian's seemingly unstoppable strike, and moments later his chest suffers a similar fate. The explosion of blood is tremendous, coating Gorom, the picnic tables, and the side of Oleg's house, as well as the nearby palisade wall. There is also a splash zone in the general vicinity of Autumn's perch atop the roof, and in mere heartbeats she too is simply drenched in blood. The scene is something straight out of a horror story, and will be sure to haunt your dreams for the remainder of your days.
pre:
Happs takes 30 slashing damage, and no longer has a head.
Meanwhile, death claims a soul, as the last breath of the bandit who fell off the roof fades from his lips.
pre:
Death save (bandit): 1 (critical failure!)
Death save (fleeing man): 18 (success!)

Aftermath of combat
:( (3/11 HP, wounded, prone, restrained, 3/4 cover, not suffocating) (AC 11, 0/32 HP, unconscious, 1 failed death save, 1 successful death save)
:ghost: (AC 12, -13/11 HP, dead) (AC 12, 0/11 HP, dead) (AC 15, 91 damage, dead, headless)

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan just stares down at the carnage Gorom had wrought on Happs for a few moments before speaking again. ".....I hadn't realized humans had that much blood in them."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

"Oh you'd be surprised at just how much fluid you tall folk have in you, I remember one time my birth mother was doing some preparations for a high profile burial, turns out the poor sap was just under one of those true loves first kiss curse sleeps" Jergo throws his hands straight up and arcs his gesture outward "The spray was ridiculous, blood all over her prize tapestries."

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trast posted:

Jorvan just stares down at the carnage Gorom had wrought on Happs for a few moments before speaking again. ".....I hadn't realized humans had that much blood in them."

Daimon's trying to avoid looking at the bloody mess that remains of Happs as he says, "Someone needs to go out and check on the one that was running."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
As the adrenaline of the situation fades from your bodies, and Gorom's rage cools as it marinates itself in the blood of his enemies, you are afforded a perfect moment of peaceful, still morning quiet. That blissful silence is, predictably, broken.
"My friends, you did it!" Oleg peeks his head out of the storage shed, and finally gets a view of the carnage that has literally painted much of the interior of his outpost. "This is insane!"

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 7, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Daimon's trying to avoid looking at the bloody mess that remains of Happs as he says, "Someone needs to go out and check on the one that was running."

"On it."

Not sure if I need to jump across to where Jorvan is and then jump down the other side of the fence, or if I can drop down on the horses and get past the wagon, but ~anyway~ here's an Acrobatics check (15) for when I inevitably drop down, somewhere. Autumn will move+dash towards the runner (if only we were level 2 :allears:)

edit: anywho, he stabilizes himself at 0, with 3 successes, so Autumn will just tie him up and bring him back to camp on horseback, I guess.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 7, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
Rushing towards the fallen bandit who had been in the process of attempting to flee, Autumn confirms that he appears to be in stable condition, albeit definitely not getting up to continue the fight - or his escape - any time soon.
pre:
Death save (fleeing bandit): 7 (failure!)
Death save (fleeing bandit): 16 (success!)
Death save (fleeing bandit): 13 (success!)
Aftermath of combat
:( (3/11 HP, wounded, prone, restrained, 3/4 cover, not suffocating) (AC 11, 0/32 HP, unconscious, stable)
:ghost: (AC 12, -13/11 HP, dead) (AC 12, 0/11 HP, dead) (AC 15, 91 damage, dead, headless)

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen

"Well that was certainly an interesting morning" Grabbing onto the edge of the roof, Jergo lowers himself to the ground dropping the distance roughly a puff of dust kicking up under him. Grabbing his pack up Jergo moves off into the stable and grabs his ladder, dragging it off behind him Jergo plops the ladder down into the side of the pit not currently containing a bandit. A quick couple gestures of the hand and the soil covering the bandit clears away "Well my new friend, at your leisure feel free to join us above I trust you'll be cooperative." Jergo points at the man and speaks evenly "mano, potenca , mi preparos malgranda lertaĵo" as he finishes speaking a glowing marks forms on the back of the bandits hand.

Turning to Oleg Jergo waves his hand from side to side "Don't you worry Oleg I'll work on getting this all cleaned up within the next little while." Beginning his traipse around the camp, Jergo begins casting the same spell as he had cast on the bandit, the tone somewhat different and his hand gestures altered, as he sweeps through puddles of blood Jergo puts the first cantrip he'd learned from his father to heavy use, sweeping his way magically around the camp over the course of an hour Jergo prestidigitates everything in reach. As Jergo brushes by Gorom, and on Autumn's return to camp his nose wrinkles and he hits them with a few more zaps of the cleaning spell than they need.

At some point the bandit either extracts himself from the hole or is pulled out, passing back around the shed Jergo magically moves the soil he'd removed from the pit back around to the front of the shed, and after removing his ladder Jergo fills the hole back in.

quote:

Casting prestidigitation and using the arcane mark function of it "You make a color, a small mark, or a symbol appear on an object or a surface for 1 hour."

Walking around the camp and using prestidigitation on everything in sight again and again "You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot."

Once the bandit is out of the hole Jergo will fill the hole back in.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 7, 2015

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 13/15 AC: 15 HD: 1d12 (0/1)

"Aye," Gorom said as the burning rage was replaced with the burn of his wounds. "I may help with the horses, but I am want for rest and horses do not like the smell of blood. Lead them to the stables or tie them somewhere away from the bodies, I may care for them after I care for myself." Gorom slumped down on one of the benches around the tables, his blood soaked garb spreading red like paint.

pre:
Spending my hit die to heal unless someone else is taking care of it.
hit die: 1d12+3 11

Teonis fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 7, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
recovering arrow(s)

Autumn Somerset
AC: 13 | HP: 9/9
Healer's Kit: 10/10 | Arrows: 17/2018/18

Her single-minded focus upon their mission is evident in the fact that Autumn barely notices the blood and gore covering her when she scampers off to secure the 2nd prisoner -- this "Domingo" character.
Only when Jergo screws up his face and starts waggling his fingers at her, does she bother to look down at her arms and torso.

The wizard manages to completely remove every spot of blood, but even with the prestidigation, Autumn still looks like a dirty hippie, somehow; her hair adorned with the occasional feather, pinned up with leafy twigs, dread-locked and matted in places. As for her face and arms, it's hard to tell where the dirt marks end, and the sun-tan begins.

Slumping the unconscious body off of the back of the horse, she asks, "Do we have somewhere we can secure him?" after explaining that he is stable and will recover, given time. She leaves this task the to thinkers of the group. Afterwards, she works to corral the new pack of horses -- a boon to them all, to be sure -- keeping a wary eye on the barbarian as they both tend to the animals.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 7, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen

Jergo raises a hand as he goes about his cleaning "Well if Oleg doesn't mind us using the shed for a moment I can do a bit of mood lighting" He gestures in the direction of his cart which contains an obscene number of candles "if one of our more socially inclined party members would like to do an interrogation I'd suggest blocking out as much light as possible in the shed or another area and I'll toss up an intimidating illusion "Jergo snaps his fingers and conjures a minor illusion in the form of Zyphus* "I'll throw out a little ominous chanting, the speaker stands inside the illusion and chats up the confused and likely spooked bandit to draw out what info we need and then we go on from there I suppose?"

Jergo points to the wounded bandit from the pit "I'm sure my new friend will be willing to inform us a little bit about our unconscious friend there and where his former associates are holding up as well."

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Jergo raises a hand as he goes about his cleaning "Well if Oleg doesn't mind us using the shed for a moment I can do a bit of mood lighting" He gestures in the direction of his cart which contains an obscene number of candles "if one of our more socially inclined party members would like to do an interrogation I'd suggest blocking out as much light as possible in the shed or another area and I'll toss up an intimidating illusion "Jergo snaps his fingers and conjures a minor illusion in the form of Zyphus* "I'll throw out a little ominous chanting, the speaker stands inside the illusion and chats up the confused and likely spooked bandit to draw out what info we need and then we go on from there I suppose?"

Jergo points to the wounded bandit from the pit "I'm sure my new friend will be willing to inform us a little bit about our unconscious friend there and where his former associates are holding up as well."

"Hate to burst your bubble, but I can do this without the ominous chanting, mood lighting and dodgy gods. If you insist, someone else can talk to him."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo shrugs "Do what you want. I'm just throwing out ideas!"

Continuing his pass through the camp applying his magical cleaning here and there, Jergo peeks down into the hole again at the bandit still lazing about. Sighing at the mans lethargic attitude Jergo begins climbing down into the pit on the ladder he's placed, blood dripping off his boots from where he's been walking.

Kicking aside the errant spikes at the bottom of the pit, Jergo grabs the man removing his weapons and tossing them to the ground near the ladder before helping him up off the spikes and onto the ladder "do play nice with us and we can see about getting your injuries tended to hm? Then we can have a little question and answer session in private."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Jorvan Jozan

Aftermath

Jorvan climbed down from the watch tower and joined the rest of the group in the courtyard. Gorom had tended to his wound with the skill of someone who had been in their fair share of blood fights. Jergo was showing a knack for blood as well. "You seem to be well practiced at this sort of thing, Master Gnome. Did you say that your parents were in the business of preparing the dead?"

He collected the head and hands of Happs for later preservation as proof of their deed. He also tried to searched the bodies for any documents such as maps or plans but there was a mess of blood and gore and he was not a professional investigator. "Some of you might want to search these bodies for documents. I'm afraid I'm not having any luck."

Investigation Roll - Searching bandits: 1d20 1 Jesus christ orokos why am I bothering at this point. :argh:

Something Jorvan knew he could do was perform a ritual that would detect any magical items on the bodies. Happs was a powerful man in his time. It was not impossible that he took magical items with him when he fled.

Jorvan will perform the ritual for detect magic.

Once his casting was done he looked to the group again. "We should burn the bodies as soon as we're able. Disease is a grave concern this far into the wilds. And graves are bound to attract scavengers and more unpleasant creatures. A good hot funeral pyre should eliminate those concerns. May the light of Desna guide their poor souls to whatever fate they deserve."

Prisoners

Jergo and Daimon were making themselves busy planning the interrogation of the two prisoners they had taken, the man who had been outside and one of the foot soldiers. Jergo was planning an elaborate sounding ruse to convince the prisoners that he was in the presence of Zyphus. A fitting illusion for the macabre little gnome but also one that caused a bit of concern for the elf. Was the gnome a produce of a Zyphus cult?

"They may be our enemies but remember that they are also now our prisoners. The punishment for unrepentant banditry is clear in our mandate but there is always a chance for redemption to be earned. Their giving us the information we need freely would be a start on that path. However if they are foolish enough not to cooperate then they'll have made their decision. Gorom's axe has taken one head I'm sure it can take two more."

Other things

Jorvan is going to recover the arrows he can so that should get him two arrows back. I also am going to have him speak to Oleg some but I'm waiting for Waador's next update.

Lvl. 1 [1/2]: Burning Hands (Domain), Faerie Fire (Domain), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Bless, Detect Magic (Ritual)
Abilities:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Trast posted:

"Some of you might want to search these bodies for documents. I'm afraid I'm not having any luck."

"pfft. ~city boy~."

Autumn goes about the task of searching the bodies for anything of strategic value, but also appraising the quality of their arms and armor. She mentions that tattoos or piercings might give some further clues as to the nature of the cartel, whilst she disrobes the first cadaver.

taking the liberty of adding a Guidance die from Jorvan, since he's participating in the same activity.
Investigation: 1d20+6+1d4 = 25

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Once the pits in front of the storage hut have been filled in Daimon says to Oleg, "Get this one," he gestures towards the bandit that Autumn retrieved from outside, "into your storage shed and make sure he's secured. I'll want to speak to him once he comes around." Having done his part until the outside-bandit wakes up he settles on one of the now cleaned benches and watches the others at work.

((For the record, Daimon vetoed the idea of candles and chanting whilst they interrogate outside-bandit.))

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...

"Well my new friend, at your leisure feel free to join us above I trust you'll be cooperative." Jergo points at the man and speaks evenly "mano, potenca , mi preparos malgranda lertaĵo" as he finishes speaking a glowing marks forms on the back of the bandits hand.
"Uh ...y-yes sir." With his eyes respectfully lowered, and a good deal of effort obviously going into controlling his fear - particularly when he emerges from the pit only to find a bloodbath of epic proportions literally painting the interior of the outpost - your conscious prisoner seems perfectly content to wrap his arms around himself and shiver in a combination of terror at his situation and joy at not being buried alive. He seems to be trying to ignore the mark on his hand, and is pointedly avoiding looking at it for the moment.

Meanwhile, Jergo goes about the hour-long task of using his arcane talents to cleanse the area of blood. In all honesty, it's a more impressive feat than it sounds: it likely would have taken a hundred man hours to achieve the same result through physical labor, and by that point a non-trivial portion of the gore likely would have permanently stained the walls and ground of the outpost. The gnome even manages to dry clean Autumn and Gorom, which is thoughtful. As this is going on, Gorom takes a break, taking the time to assess his wounds and consider with no small amount of disbelief that he not only survived an encounter with a soldier with twenty years of experience in combat on him, but nearly single-handedly decimated the man. He was, of course, oblivious to the massive psychic trauma inflicted upon Happs by both Daimon and Clive throughout the course of the battle.

The horses are led to the stable by Autumn without much difficulty: they don't seem to care that their former owners are now a mixture of prisoners and meat, so long as they are stabled and well-fed. The chaos of the battle has obviously rattled their nerves a bit, and they are a bit jumpy, but they seem to calm down as the blood and gore is cleansed from the area.

As the group assembles itself in an effort to discuss the fate of their less conscious prisoner, Jergo attempts to add some flair to the situation through the addition of romantic candlelight and ominous religious symbols. He is, of course, promptly shot down by the more level-headed members of the fellowship, Daimon included. Jorvan attempts to search the corpse physically, but it remains slick with gore, and he comes up with precious little. Deciding to see if magic might reveal something that his investigative talents have missed, he enacts a ritual capable of detecting latent enchantments and other oddities about his person.
pre:
Jorvan enacts a ritual of detect magic, but does not identify any auras on Happs or his gear.
Thankfully, Autumn is far more skilled than Jorvan at looting the corpses of the fallen.
pre:
Autumn searches the bodies, and finds what is listed at the end of this post.
After a thorough search, it becomes clear to Autumn that Oleg's outpost likely wasn't the first stop on their little protection racket collection tour. Either that, or these bandits are reasonably well-paid. A mixture of copper and silver coins are stored in the belt pouches of each of the bandits, and a handful of precious gems are on Happs' person in a pouch strapped to his thigh beneath his pants. Their unconscious prisoner also has a pouch full of gold coins. Curiously, although the copper and silver coins possessed by the bandits were minted in Brevoy, as you would expect, the gold coins in the pouch of their unconscious captive were minted in the river kingdom of Daggermark. Perhaps the crew robbed someone from that region recently? Other than the two men who were obliterated, the arms and armor of their captives are in relatively good condition. Happs' scimitar was shattered into a hundred pieces attempting to parry Gorom's deathblow, but his dagger remains in fine condition. Autumn also finds a silver amulet hanging around what remains of Happs' neck, fashioned in the likeness of a stag's skull. As well, moving on to the saddlebags in the horses, the presence of a few days worth of trail rations suggests their camp is not within a short ride of Oleg's.

Daimon asks Oleg to secure their prisoner, and he is more than happy to comply. "Yes, of course my friend!" He drags the body into the shed and before too long the man is tightly bound against a barrel filled with water.
pre:
You have gained the following...
• Head and hands of Happs Bydon
• Riding horses (x6)
• Dagger (x1)
• Short sword (x3)
• Mace (x1)
• Longbow (x4) and arrows (x18)
• Heavy crossbow (x1) and bolts (x12)
• Leather armor (x3)
• 2,300 copper pieces
• 1,200 silver pieces
• 20 gold pieces
• 6 bloodstones
• A bag with a day's worth of rations (x15)
• A silver amulet in the shape of a stag's skull.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jergo Macklen
HP: 7/7 AC: 16 Hero Points: 1/5 HD: 1d6

Sitting the nervous bandit down at one of the picnic tables, Jergo fishes out his waterskin and offers it to the man "Drink up, we'll be having a chat in a few minutes." Making his way over to the haul of loot Autumn has pulled out, grabbing his pack and removing the abacus from within Jergo begins expertly piling coins into neat separated stacks, a flurry of beads clacking this way and that he murmers to himself in the meanwhile "A total of 163 gold pieces, 6 gems of a rough value of hm" Jergo holds one of the bloodstones up to the light twisting it around a few times before replacing it near the coins.

Turning his attentions to the rest of the loot Jergo purses his lips, the common resale values of most of the items fairly unimpressive, snatching up the silver skull he gives it a few hefts in his palm and gives it the same treatment as he had the gemstones "Interesting piece, decent craftsmanship somewhat familiar." Listing off his findings for the group, Jergo dusts off his hands and stows his abacus away "So we're looking at a total value of [805+treasure value] gold pieces in goods on the resale market, I'd suggest giving some of the horses and gear that we don't appropriate for ourselves to Oleg as a cut for his participation in our plan, he can likely make a better profit off of that gear selling it to the rangers of the Stolen Land when they come to sell their furs and such."

Jergo makes his way back to the picnic table and sits down across from the clearly now reformed bandit "My apologies for the wait Mr.? Ah, once again apologies, rude of me not to inquire after your name." Steepling his fingers Jergo addresses the man by name "Now I have a few brief questions for you before we can move on to our other business. First I would like to inquire as to the identity and purpose of your fellow over in the shed there who was left outside of the fort. Secondly I would inquire as to the identity of your leader and their location in relation to where we are now." Jergo reaches into his bag again and pulls out his cartographer's tools, placing a fancy looking piece of paper and several rougher sheaves of sketch paper onto the table along with a pile of inks and charcoals. "Please be as detailed as possible as to the exact location of your hideout. Any details about the surrounding interesting areas would be appreciated as well."

Jergo grills the man for details over the next few hours, his hands occupied with his drawing charcoals as he talks, first sketching out rough details of a map on the scrap paper based on the bandit's testimony, Jergo eventually swaps to his finer paper and draws out a collection of pens, he begins inking out the Location of Oleg's as a starting point at the edge of the map and continues to chat amiably "I'd be interested in learning about the other locations your little group was heading to as well, I'm sure you don't generally just carry as much coin as we collected from your fellows just to have it on you in case you find a new cafe in the middle of the forest."

Familiar: Britzke the Fiendish Bat: 60' blindsight.
Spellbook (Save DC:13 +5 attack)
Rituals: Alarm(11min), Comprehend Language(10min), Detect Magic(10min), Find Familiar(1h10min 10gp)
Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Chill Touch, Prestidigitation, Mold Earth
Prepared Spells
Lv. 1 [1/2]: Mage Armor, Shield, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages
Class: Arcane Recovery (1 spell level p/long rest)
Effects: Mage Armor(4 hours)(13 ac becomes 16)

quote:

12 on a flat Int check to see the value of the bloodstones, spent a hero point and added 5 to that for a 17 appraisal.
16 history on the silver skull amulet to figure out what that's about
18 flat int check on the silver skull to determine how much it would sell for as a collector's piece or as raw metal
24 Cartography To add Oleg's and such to the beginning of my map, and sketching details the bandit gives me of a rough layout of the nearby hexes.
Jergo is spending the next 3 hours or so grilling the bandit for info unless something comes up, primarily inquiring after information about the bandits and their operations throughout.

Gear sales
•Riding horses (x6) 75gp each (450gp)
•Riding Horse saddles x6 resale 5gp each (30gp)
• Short sword (x3)resale 5gp each (15gp)
• Mace (x1) resale 2.5gp
• Longbow (x4) resale 25gp each (100gp)
•Arrows (x18) resale .025gp each (.45gp)
• Heavy crossbow (x1) resale 25gp
•bolts (x12) Resale .025gp each (.3gp)
• Leather armor (x3) resale 5gp each (15gp)
• 2,300 copper pieces (23gp)
• 1,200 silver pieces (120gp)
• 20 gold pieces
• 6 bloodstones (???)
• A bag with a day's worth of rations (x15) resale .25gp (3.75)
• A silver amulet in the shape of a stag's skull. (???)

So 805 gp + the amulet and bloodstones worth. Just taking the money and some of the gear leaves us with 163gp in coin, Oleg will have stuff he can sell to the woods people that will presumably improve his standard of living and make better things available to us down the line in addition to ingratiating him to us :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 8, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Examining the stag amulet, Daimon says to Autumn, "You wondered if they served someone else? This may be a token of that loyalty."

As Jergo tallys up the loot, "I take it that we aren't going to give him all the horses? They'll be useful when we leave here." why the hell are we giving him things anyway?

dice and things posted:

Anything known about the stag amulet? (history/religion): 1d20+2 13 1d20+4 21

Taking a couple of replacement crossbow bolts from the bandit's supply rather than trying to recover my own.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

"With regards to the horses, as I said the things we do not take can go to Oleg who can in turn do something profitable with them, those of the group without mounts likely should take one on, but realistically we don't have the time or means to be hauling around 2 or 3 spare horses for no reason."

Numbers have begun to run through Jergo's head and he's getting that vacant far-off dreamy look in his eyes he has when talking about interest rates "As to the majority of the equipment here, it's fundamentally worthless to us in this moment. Weapons and armour that none of us are or will be using are just dead weight, I'm not going to be making the month long trip back to Restov to try to sell a pile of second hand gear to some random merchant for a few gold and putting off the decreed task of the Swordlords for two months"

Jergo juts his finger out and points at Oleg "Oleg however has customers here and now, while hard off financially in this moment he's managed to pay off several thousand gold in debt out in the middle of nowhere." There is a delight at the thought of business on Jergo's face "Oleg is a useful contact back to Restov and his business flourishing here means that we do not have to journey far from our task should we need to sell some goods or order things from back home." Jergo seems to be snapping out of it when he turns his point toward the stable "I'm sure once he gets that attack duck in the stables trained up he won't even need our protection in any form! They're a formidable breed those." Giving his little hands a few self congratulatory claps Jergo moves back to his table and continues his talk with his new ex-bandit pal.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 8, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Autumn Somerset
AC: 13 | HP: 9/9
Healer's Kit: 10/10 | Arrows: 27/27

Once all the monetary and inventory matters are settled, Autumn addresses the group.
"So, the question now becomes, do we proceed with our objective of mapping out the region, come what may? Or should we see about picking up the trail of these bandits, and cutting that threat off at the source?"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

"Clearing the region of bandits and other unlawful situations are also our objectives, the bandits are an issue we can deal with in potentially days, whilst our mapping work is very likely going to take months to fully complete. Leaving a band of brigands roaming about that will have a bone to pick with us while we work is not something I particularly relish."

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

"Clearing the region of bandits and other unlawful situations are also our objectives, the bandits are an issue we can deal with in potentially days, whilst our mapping work is very likely going to take months to fully complete. Leaving a band of brigands roaming about that will have a bone to pick with us while we work is not something I particularly relish."

Clive nods to himself. The little banker was right. But further, Clive knows that if the Bandits weren't dealt with immediately, Oleg was a dead man. The hatchet-wielding woman Oleg described would almost certainly know exactly where to look for her missing captain. Clive isn't particularly concerned with the missives of the swordlords (beyond appearing to be very concerned by them), but Oleg might be useful to keep around (as the indebted usually are, particularly if they are resourceful).

What worries Clive, however, is the unexpected presence of this Domingo character. Seemingly an outsider to the bandit band, he clearly has resources backing him, and is capable of making dangerous friends. Clive's instincts ring with alarm: if his previous experience has taught him anything, it's that there are few things more threatening than unscrupulous wealth. Bandits are one thing. The money men behind the organized crime is another. Clive would be mulling over the information they gather from the pit bandit carefully.

His Speak with Animals ritual finished, Clive tucks Happs' dagger into his belt on the way to the stable.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Gorom Grofhorm
HP: 13/15 AC: 15 HD: 1d12 (0/1)

"Someone had said that the bandits must be camping a few days from here, because of their rations." Gorom added in, after making sure all the horses were now either in the crowded stable or tethered up nearby. "That will buy us a few days before this bandit woman realizes her men have been killed. In that time we can track them down and map the area on the way to their hideout. It's twofold."

"Has anyone broken our prisoners yet? I'm eager to know which way we ride." Gorom's wounds were freshly wrapped, but the scars were still there. Although the way the barbarian handles himself, he'd be alright in a day. "When we are riding, one or two will ride ahead an hour to scout, then come back and tell of anything interesting. Then we switch as not to tire the horses. We'llcover a lot of groud while still making our way to the bandits."

pre:
The only thing I'd be interested in would be the shield, maybe some extra javelins from Oleg. Since we are going to be in open terrain
a lot, I'd like to have that extra protection from ranged attacks and not run out of my own before I can close the gap.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Oleg's Trading Post...
The bandit eagerly accepts the waterskin offered to him by Jergo, and he takes several mouthfuls of it only to promptly gargle and spit it out in an effort to clear his tongue and cheeks of lingering grave dirt. This is eventually followed by a more measured and enjoyed drink of water. Meanwhile, Jergo goes about the tedious task of counting every single coin, and inspecting the gemstones with the keen eye of an experienced appraiser. The banker also makes the unexpected suggestion of providing some of the spoils to Oleg.
pre:
With your appraisal check, you believe the bloodstones to be worth approximately 50 gold pieces each.
This works out to a total gem value of 300 gold pieces.
Shifting his focus back to the bandit rescued from an early grave, the gnome inquires of the man's name, and also subtly begins his interrogation of the man with a laundry list of questions.

"My name is Brute, sir. Brute Grayson. I'll do whatever you want, just please don't hurt me." He waits for the gnome to ask his questions before responding, "His name's Domingo, I don't really know the guy very well though. He's not part of our crew, but he comes to the camp once in a while to speak with Happs, or our leader Kressle. He seems to come around every other month, and has been doing so for about half a year now." The man shrugs his shoulders, "I don't ask questions about that sort of thing, Kressle doesn't take too kindly to people sticking their nose into her business. I didn't want to lose my tongue, or my hands, or ...worse." He offers an apologetic look, and tries to offer something of value, "Domingo hasn't traveled with us before, that was new this time around. I got the sense that Happs was trying to show him how we had this area under our thumb, between Oleg's place, the old man's toll bridge along the Shrike, and the kobolds." He looks around, apparently trying to get a sense of whether he's saying is good enough for Jergo and the others, "Domingo was talking like he was going to part ways with us after we showed him Oleg's place, as that was the last stop on our tax collection run. It sounded like he had someplace else to be, maybe someone to report back to? I don't really know." On the subject of their encampment, he offers, "We used to move our camp every couple of weeks, Kressle said it was better to be cautious. Lately she's changed her mind, though, and we've been fortifying an area at the base of the Thorn river, about forty miles southwest of here. Hollowing out trees to hide in, building hunter's blinds in the canopies, making a few pit traps of our own, actually, too." He looks nervously back to the area that has since been filled in, where he was nearly buried alive, "We've been using shovels and good old-fashioned physical labor to do that, though. Would've been nice to have some magical talent to get that job done in a day, instead of a month." He laughs, "I went to a lot of work to get out of trench-digging duty, truth be told. It cost me a lot in bribes of drink and coin to switch out my shifts for tax collection duty instead. All along, I thought that gypsy woman was talking about the work we were doing in the camp. Who would've thought?"

When Jergo pulls out his cartographer's tools, the bandit spends some time trying to make a rough sketch of the area, but he clearly isn't trained in the use of the tools, or in the Brevoy system of cartography.
pre:
Your captive bandit is able to provide a few points of interest.
The bandit camp is approximately forty miles south and ten miles west of Oleg's trading post.
It is located at the base of the Thorn river.

A toll bridge is approximately forty miles south and eighteen miles east of Oleg's trading post.
It is located on the Shrike river.

A kobold tribe is approximately fifty miles south and twelve miles east of Oleg's trading post.
It is located near the banks of the Shrike river, and extends into an underground cavern of unknown size or population.
On the subject of the amount of coins and other property they were carrying, he explains, "We do a tax collection run once a month, visiting some of the locals. Most of that came from the kobold tribe, they provide us tribute in exchange for leaving them alone. The territory along the river is theirs." He shrugs, "They do pretty well for themselves, actually. Happs explained that it was better to have the kobolds act as river pirates for any boats that come along, as opposed to doing it ourselves. He said we'd make too many enemies if we happened to loot the wrong ship, but nobody thinks twice about a tribe of kobolds doing that sort of thing. It kind of makes sense, when you think about it." Another shrug, and he offers, "Happs and Kressle seem to do something with the money, but I don't know where it goes. They certainly don't leave it lying around the camp. Some of the guys think they're burying it out in the forest, to keep it safe. No honor among thieves, and all that. If that's the case they must have a huge stash by now, but I don't know how plausible that is. I mean, why not just put your money in a bank, right?"

As the man goes about his various explanations, Jergo considers the silver amulet they found on Happs. The iconography of a stag is a popular one among any number of noble families and organizations across the world, and that is further complicated by the stag also being one of the symbols of Erastil, god of the hunt. The skull motif seems to rule out most of those, though, as that's a little grimmer and darker than usual. The thing seemed to be solid silver, though, so would probably fetch a decent price at market, or if melted down.
pre:
Jergo's history check is unable to tie the amulet to any known noble family or organization.
His appraisal check confirms it is a solid silver amulet, however, worth about 20 gold pieces.
Jergo also goes about transcribing some of the bandit's approximate locations on his blank map, and also adds some great detail with regard to Oleg's and the surrounding area.
pre:
Jergo makes an exceptionally detailed map of Oleg's trading post and the immediately surrounding hillside.
The group then goes on to bicker about what to do with the spoils of their successful battle. The topic of the riding horses comes up more than once. Which is interesting, because while this debate is going on, Clive is busy eavesdropping on the animals.
"Did you see what they did to that one guy? They cut him in half man. I think that guy with the tattoos is wearing him like a new coat. We have to get out of here before they do the same thing to us."
"Calm down, just calm down. Look, they put us in the barn. It's going to be all right. Maybe they just want to ride us. Who doesn't want to ride us? We're fabulous."
"Quiet! One of them is coming. Everyone play it cool, now. Don't make any sudden movements. They can smell fear."

The horses grow still as Clive approaches.
"Oh, it's just the timid one, thank goodness. I think that man and that woman are both bathing in the blood of the men, though. This is some seriously hosed up poo poo. What's wrong with these people?"
The fifth horse whinnies, shaking his head. "It's not all humans. Just ones of no fixed address. Something about being homeless drives them insane. They don't know how to live free, like us. It plays tricks on their mind."
"These apples are really good, though. Have you guys tried these apples? Oh my god they're so good."
The last horse is going loving nuts on a basket of apples.

From his position near the doorway to the stables, Clive is able to effectively eavesdrop on the conversation of the horses while also participating in one with his comrades. They have now moved on to the subject of whether to deal with the bandits imminently, or pursue their longer-term objective of mapping the region.

When Gorom speaks, the horses immediately quiet, trembling in more than a little fear. Meanwhile, Kahli stands up for Gorom.
"He isn't going to wear you like a coat, you people are just orc racist. You need to go out and see the world. The only thing you have to fear are halflings. Vicious little creatures. Wicked, tricksy, and false!" Kahli apparently had a traumatic experience with a halfling at some point in time.

Waador fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 9, 2015

• Locked thread