Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

If capcom doesn't announce a US localisation at their comic con panel tonight we probably won't hear about it again :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I want the localisation to have the brazen balls to pretend that they're in America still.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Meiji Restoration was a dramatic turning point in the history of California.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Szmitten posted:

I want the localisation to have the brazen balls to pretend that they're in America still.

Feudal America.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Our greatest President was Oda Nobunaga.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
To be honest, given the nominal location of the bulk of the game, it'd be okay if they started out in Japan.

They'd just then have to explain why Sherlock Holmes is living in Los Angeles.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Most of the game is in London so sadly I don't think we're getting the Wild Meiji West.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would think it'd be easy enough to handwave away Phoenix having some Japanese heritage. I mean, it IS California. The only state with more Japanese people is Hawaii.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Szmitten posted:

Me too, unironically. It just never ceases to be hilarious.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
While traveling via steamship from [Los Angeles] to the bustling imperial capital of [Philadelphia], [Xander Wright] and his assistant [Jasmine Carmichael] meet the world-famous detective [Jimmy D. Deuce].

Note to Self fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 9, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No mention of Ace Attorney at SDCC panel

:negative:

Time for a fan translation

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Great Ace Attorney will be released state-side. Don't lose hope.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I would think it'd be easy enough to handwave away Phoenix having some Japanese heritage. I mean, it IS California. The only state with more Japanese people is Hawaii.

Let's say you do that. What do you call the main character? Naruhodo (which will confuse anyone unfamiliar with the series history)? Wright, which makes no sense? Raito (claiming the family Americanized it when they immigrated)?

Also, I just started playing, but that first trial poses even more translation problems than I thought it will, no matter which translation route is taken.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would personally go with Raito, yes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Wright, which makes no sense?

This

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you said it like it was some preposterous suggestion but raito is actually a good idea

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

or just Wright, because when has this series ever cared about that

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Change "Tokyo" to "Los Angeles", change "Japan" to "California", change "Meiji Era" to "Wild West"

Boom, done.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The reality is that they don't even have to bring up the protagonist's relevance to Phoenix Wright, because the way Capcom should realistically market this in the west is to just title it "Sherlock Holmes and the Ace Attorney" cause america is fuckin deep into sherlock right now. Just say the story is about Sherlock meeting this cool lawyer from some other country. Then he can even have his Japanese name. Never mention that Japan actually exists. Not even in the first case when he's there

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wright's ancestor was an American who temporarily stayed in Japan for a short period, together with all the ancestors to all the other characters.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Unfortunately, the entire premise is centered around how western law is a New Thing just imported into Japan during the Meiji restoration (and that they're still learning how to adapt), the importance of international relations between Japan and England, and how Japan sent a large number of students to the west to study things like law, culture and technology because they were decades behind the rest of the world after being voluntarily closed off during the Edo period.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

In this universe, Japan was an island that was annexed to the United States and named "California."

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This explains the shift in law.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Unfortunately, the entire premise is centered around how western law is a New Thing just imported into Japan during the Meiji restoration (and that they're still learning how to adapt), the importance of international relations between Japan and England, and how Japan sent a large number of students to the west to study things like law, culture and technology because they were decades behind the rest of the world after being voluntarily closed off during the Edo period.

Canada

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Normie Slayer posted:

The Great Ace Attorney will be released state-side. Don't lose hope.
That's what Capcom said about Ace Attorney Investigations 2 for months and months and they aren't even doing that this time

I dunno when the next public event for Capcom would even be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The American release of Layton vs was announced in a Nintendo Direct. THERE'S STILL THAT!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That's what Capcom said about Ace Attorney Investigations 2 for months and months and they aren't even doing that this time
I don't think Capcom ever said that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AAI2 only didn't get localized because the team got disbanded, I'm not worried.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Normie Slayer posted:

I don't think Capcom ever said that.
I think I'm mostly referring to Sven of Capcom Unity's endless "hey guys, never say never right?? ha ha, we know you want it!!" antics

That period of time when both AA and MonHun was in limbo was made worse by that goofball saying DONT LOSE HOPE GUYS

e: I can't remember if he did the same for Megaman Legends 3 because that would've been a hat trick

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 10, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm mostly referring to Sven of Capcom Unity's endless "hey guys, never say never right?? ha ha, we know you want it!!" antics

That period of time when both AA and MonHun was in limbo was made worse by that goofball saying DONT LOSE HOPE GUYS

e: I can't remember if he did the same for Megaman Legends 3 because that would've been a hat trick

Oh yeah I remember that guy

gently caress that guy

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that Maya didn't appear in Dual Destinies is because they didn't want to kill off Pearl but there aren't any other family members and loved ones to take away from her.

They clearly didn't think too far ahead to give her a big family.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I dunno when the next public event for Capcom would even be.

The only game in the series not to be localized is AAI2. DGS will be localized.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Wasn't the turnaround for AA5 only a few months? And it was a fairly recent game, too. I'm not really that worried about the game being localized, since Capcom has already proven that they'll still support the series.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Localize Natsume Souseki (confirmed to be in the game) into Edgar Allan Poe and change Wagahai the cat into The Black Cat. Or if they want to go as ridiculous as possible, keep him as Natsume Souseki, famous Californian author.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that Maya didn't appear in Dual Destinies is because they didn't want to kill off Pearl but there aren't any other family members and loved ones to take away from her.

They clearly didn't think too far ahead to give her a big family.

What the hell ever happened to Iris

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is pretty cool, and really shows how consistent the composer's (whose name I forget) style is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knf6eelNgmw

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ayn rand hand job posted:

She got out of prison and is happily married with Nick and they just don't mention it.

(Probably still in jail)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ayn rand hand job posted:

Her planet needed her.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Momomo posted:

Wasn't the turnaround for AA5 only a few months? And it was a fairly recent game, too. I'm not really that worried about the game being localized, since Capcom has already proven that they'll still support the series.

Yes but they also announced that AA5 would be getting an NA release really early on. Like I want to say almost simultaneously with the game being announced.

Honestly at this point I think its fair to say that the game is not getting an NA localization because Capcom logic.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

AA5 sold decently enough, right? I'd wager that's the deciding factor.

• Locked thread