Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Parked at mall, walking over in a bit because we're actually exploring the mall. Nice to save money and avoid traffic. Would recommend, A+++.

I was thinking of parking at Fashion Valley but they always have signs saying "No Comic Con Parking". They threaten towing people but I wonder if it ever actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
It's been mentioned a few times, but go park at Qualcomm and take the trolley. Especially if you're planning on going up to Fashion Valley anyway. Old Town's transit center also has free parking for the trolley, though it's not too big and I dunno how busy it gets around Comic Con.

John Lightning posted:

Anyone know of any parties and/or have any ins to these parties? Just looking for things to do at night after the con.

Adam Savage (Mythbusters, Tested.com) is hosting a party at Fluxx at 8 pm on Friday. I went to the party he hosted last year, and it was totally free (and no need for a badge), had an open bar, and had his costumes on display. I guess this year he plans to display movie props?

Edit: Nerd HQ over at the New Children's Museum is also having parties on Thursday and Saturday night, no specific times, though.

McOgre fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 9, 2015

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Kali11324 posted:

I was thinking of parking at Fashion Valley but they always have signs saying "No Comic Con Parking". They threaten towing people but I wonder if it ever actually happens.

Was sort of concerned, but we legitimately wanted to go to the mall anyways. Nevertheless, I'm not sure how they would determine whose car is tow-worthy in that regard anyways unless they look for people who beeline for the T&C.

Will look into the transit system for the next year we don't get preview night. It does look pretty convenient as above poster mentioned. We're at Marriott Marquis, so could just hop on the trolley.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Town and Country pickup was even smoother than last year. Parked at Fashion Valley, walked down the road, walked in the building, went straight to a person and got my badge, got books and bag, walked back to car.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

Kali11324 posted:

I think around the fashion valley trolley stop there's a decent amount of street parking that you can get away with. Not 100%, havent been out that way in a minute.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

One day down. CCI may have said they banned roller bags but based on the amount of times my ankles and feet were crushed by them, they have a long way to go to get them the gently caress out of the hall.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Went to pro badge pick up at 5:45 and the line ran Al the way to the Marriott. Regular registration was easy though.

John Lightning posted:

Anyone know of any parties and/or have any ins to these parties? Just looking for things to do at night after the con.

Try Nerd hq at children's museum and Nerdist conival at Petco park on Thursday/Saturday

Edit: One more thing. Had early dinner at Rei do Gado. Super pricey, but worth it.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 9, 2015

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Any tips on parking in downtown? Was thinking of parking at the trolley station in Old Town and taking that into downtown.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
It's a bit of a hike, but if you're willing to walk half a mile or so there's free all day parking on 17th between F and G streets.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

Oz Fox posted:

It's a bit of a hike, but if you're willing to walk half a mile or so there's free all day parking on 17th between F and G streets.

Is that a parking lot or is that on the street?

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

Kali11324 posted:

Is that a parking lot or is that on the street?

Street. Further down 17th too towards Barrio Logan tends to have plenty of street parking.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is that the sketchy part?

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Is that the sketchy part?

I've never had my car broken into on that stretch I mentioned, if that's any consolation. Still wouldn't park overnight or leave anything conspicuous inside though.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Any trusting goon pm me a rough/redacted pic of this years badge or a link to one, have to go the craigslist route and short of a ticket printed on a graham cracker I want to have some idea if I'm being scammed.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Thanks for the party info bros, but what about tonight? Anyone know which big network parties are happening tonight??

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So how are the crowds this year since a few of the big movie studios are skipping out? Is it more comic focused?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Don't ask the yellow shirts or white shirts questions unless you like lies and incompetence

xxEightxx posted:

Any trusting goon pm me a rough/redacted pic of this years badge or a link to one, have to go the craigslist route and short of a ticket printed on a graham cracker I want to have some idea if I'm being scammed.

I can probably help with that Sunday of youre still interested just pm a number

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

What do you need one for? If its temporary, you can borrow mine during the day. I ended up spending most of today out on the ocean looking at whales, for instance. I just am forced into doing Hall H Saturday.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jiro posted:

So how are the crowds this year since a few of the big movie studios are skipping out? Is it more comic focused?

Thursday was the most crowded I've seen.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Darko posted:

Thursday was the most crowded I've seen.

The floor was super crowded. I heard Hall H wasn't crowded at all though. I think if more studios back out more years, you could see a drop in interest. But as long as you still have Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, sell outs will always happen.

I was finally able to meet Dan Harmon and get my copy of "You'll Be Perfect When You're Dead" signed AND I got David Aja to sign my Iron Fist Omnibus (last signature I needed) so now my con is basically looking at stuff and I couldn't be happier.

I saw one of the bible thumpers sitting watching the Blindspot trailer in front of the Tin Fish this morning. He had his sign up and his megaphone but he was enthralled by the running trailer. Also I like that the "Damien" movie people brought their own megaphones and signs to outshout those fucks.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I had to miss out on most of today as my buddy came down with a kidney stone attack and was in awful pain. I took him back to the hotel and waited with him while his wife drove down to pick him up and take him home. Poor guy.

On the bright side, I sold one of my books today and signed it for the buyer. :dance:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If you aren't in line for hall h for Friday right now don't bother. It's down to the marina.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

RevKrule posted:

I saw one of the bible thumpers sitting watching the Blindspot trailer in front of the Tin Fish this morning. He had his sign up and his megaphone but he was enthralled by the running trailer. Also I like that the "Damien" movie people brought their own megaphones and signs to outshout those fucks.

Granted, I tend to just tune them out so I could be mistaken, but the "bible thumpers" don't seem to be protesting comic-con/pop culture. It seems like they just use the crowds as an opportunity to share their message, and are respectful of the convention's purpose, which is fine by me.

Of course, other years you get Westboro.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Darko posted:

What do you need one for? If its temporary, you can borrow mine during the day. I ended up spending most of today out on the ocean looking at whales, for instance. I just am forced into doing Hall H Saturday.

Just to see what the 2015 badge looked like so I could spot check it in case someone was trying to pull a low effort scam, I got it covered though, thanks.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Granted, I tend to just tune them out so I could be mistaken, but the "bible thumpers" don't seem to be protesting comic-con/pop culture. It seems like they just use the crowds as an opportunity to share their message, and are respectful of the convention's purpose, which is fine by me.

Yeah, I always see those yellow signs near Staples center in L.A.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

XOIC of Radishes posted:

They're definitely better this year than previous years but it's one of those things that bugs me. Especially when you learn that there's maybe 2-5 of them that are actually there for their cause and the others were hired to hold the signs.

The Adult Swim On The Green was amazing tonight. We got a viewing of a bunch of weird and bizarre pilots, a viewing of Unaired Footage Of A Bear (my fave informercial from last cycle because it's like an Aphex Twin video on crack), clips of the upcoming seasons of Mike Tyson Presents and Squidbillies and a full unaired episode from the new season of Venture Brothers (coming 2016). Plus a free shirt and somewhere they were giving out KFC but I didn't see where.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RevKrule posted:

If you aren't in line for hall h for Friday right now don't bother. It's down to the marina.

I picked the right year to duck out, upon reading this and a bunch of complaints about cutters. Nerds, man.

(anyone have tickets for NYCC they want to sell me I miss it so much)

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004

RevKrule posted:

This line is bullshit. They have what must be 4 people handing out wrist bands to thousands.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Man, third year in a row that the "go for a signing at an independent press booth" worked like gangbusters. A couple years ago I snagged Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn chilling at a nearby Image booth that people didn't care about because it wasn't an official Marvel thing for deadpool. They were totally happy to chill and sign all my Deadpool stuff anyway. Next day at the Marvel booth? Place is completely mobbed with an unimaginably long line. Last year, bought stuff at the Archie booth to get a ticket for Francesco Francavilla whose other booths/signings were usually too insane. Got in no problem and he signed anything. This year, Oni Press for the Rick and Morty signing. Thanks to the booth guy giving me a ticket with purchase and saying "yeah if you have a ticket just show up reasonably early, we are not at all able to hold a raffle for this thing", I got to avoid the insanely crowded Adult Swim signing, and got a hug from Dan Harmon (his idea, I wouldve been happy with him lazily leaning forward to be in frame with me).

So yeah, it may not hold up forever, but if you can find writers/artists/celebrities at independent press booths, attention is noticeably smaller because like a vast majority of con-goers, nobody seems to give a poo poo about small comic companies.

Edit: Also, yet another year where I just wandered into Indigo for Drunk History and had zero problem getting a seat. I laughed when Joss Whedon came out to moderate the Another Period panel because people have nearly gotten in fistfights to see him in Ballroom 20 but here half the crowd didn't give a drat.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wait Oni press had a thing for RNM? Is there a sdcc cover exclusive

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

What's up Rick and Morty Oni Press line survivor! I went to the Oni Press booth early yesterday morning (right after hall opened) and got my ticket. I showed up an hour early for the signing and was at least still lined up in the Oni Press booth. not sure how far the line went (it was shortly after I showed up they were putting people over by the columns away from the booth) but it only took about 20 minutes to get through it.

Oni Press does have an exclusive cover for an RNM comic but yesterday was the only signing they're doing for RNM. The other one, like mentioned is at the Adult Swim booth, I think either today or tomorrow.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hate double posting but I woke up to two free passes to a screening of The Man In The High Castle tonight at 6:30. I've got other stuff going on so I can't go but if someone else is interested post here and I'll try and hook up with you to pass them off.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

From my "research," the Hall H line was giving out the wristbands we got for waiting in line at 7 - 8 pm last year Saturday to people in line at 1pm this year. I'm actually about to go to the Hall H line in a bit, but run two hour shifts or something with a friend to make it bearable. I'll probably be in the back of the hall, going by last night's report.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Edit: NM. Apparently they just don't tell you when a panel is full.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 10, 2015

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

RevKrule posted:

What's up Rick and Morty Oni Press line survivor! I went to the Oni Press booth early yesterday morning (right after hall opened) and got my ticket. I showed up an hour early for the signing and was at least still lined up in the Oni Press booth. not sure how far the line went (it was shortly after I showed up they were putting people over by the columns away from the booth) but it only took about 20 minutes to get through it.

Oni Press does have an exclusive cover for an RNM comic but yesterday was the only signing they're doing for RNM. The other one, like mentioned is at the Adult Swim booth, I think either today or tomorrow.

I didn't even see how far it stretched. I was the chubster who got led away to be the beginning of the continued line over by the columns, so I probably passed you. Once I moved up I was behind the adventure time cosplayers, which was great except I kept having to duck out of the way for folks who wanted pictures with them. But yeah, from what I heard about how nuts the Adult Swim signing was, I'm glad I went for the Oni signing. Plus the Oni folks were cool as poo poo and were just like "just dont have 'em sign more than 5 items and pictures are up to them, but have fun".

readingatwork posted:

Anyone know what the hell is up with the Steven Universe/Adventure Time panel?

It was supposed to start over half an hour ago but the line is still here. It's moving, but only at a rate of a few people every couple if minutes so I can't tell if they're letting people in or not. It's super weird.
If you're still having trouble getting in, I have a friend inside near the question mic and he says the room is packed and they are letting individuals in only as the same number of folks leave. You might be out of luck until the changeover for Adult Swim stuff, when there's been a mass exodus of kids and parents if tradition holds.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

We got in line around 10:30-11 and we are about 50 feet from the hotel door as of 12:23

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Space_Butler posted:

I didn't even see how far it stretched. I was the chubster who got led away to be the beginning of the continued line over by the columns, so I probably passed you. Once I moved up I was behind the adventure time cosplayers, which was great except I kept having to duck out of the way for folks who wanted pictures with them. But yeah, from what I heard about how nuts the Adult Swim signing was, I'm glad I went for the Oni signing. Plus the Oni folks were cool as poo poo and were just like "just dont have 'em sign more than 5 items and pictures are up to them, but have fun".
Hey! I think I told you to go back there! If you lined up behind a girl with a purple backpack, I was the gentleman who told you the line was back there.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

RevKrule posted:

Hey! I think I told you to go back there! If you lined up behind a girl with a purple backpack, I was the gentleman who told you the line was back there.
Sadly not me, I was the dude in the Oingo Boingo shirt who got personally walked over to start the columns line by an Oni guy with a ponytail(?), who had been standing at the back of the line at the booth, after he realized he needed to form a new line away from the booth. I did see a purple backpack girl, she was a few people behind us. So we probably missed each other by *that* much.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I waited two hours for a drinking horn the size of my goddamn forearm and it owns and I am getting smashed tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

pic? also back when I went in 2009 most entertainment panels (tv shows, movies) gave out free shirts or swag of some type. Has that ended or is it still going on?

• Locked thread