Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SirPhoebos posted:

So how are Kefka and Cloud of Darkness coming into FFXIV? Is Gilgamesh running a travel agency now? Or do we just not know yet?

Cloud of Darkness was already in game. We didn't kill her, but we did force her to retreat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

seiferguy posted:

.....Assize owns....

But the real question is does it work on Miqo'te? :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

So how are Kefka and Cloud of Darkness coming into FFXIV? Is Gilgamesh running a travel agency now? Or do we just not know yet?

Cloud of Darkness was just a really powerful demon in the void, where all the demons already in the game come from. The other guy may not even show up, the only thing we know for sure is that the Warring Triad are gonna be involved somehow.

I really liked how Ultros and Typhon are just demons from the void that were summoned by rogue thaumaturges and decided to hang out and make money in the coliseum.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Eej posted:

It's much more exciting for loot to rot by week 2 and to never see a given piece of loot after 20 runs.

The denial is loving real.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

They aren't meant to literally be the same characters from their original series. CoD, and in fact all of Crystal Tower, was adapted into FFXIV's storyline (as opposed to characters like Lightning, Gilgamesh, and Shantotto).

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Begemot posted:

Cloud of Darkness was just a really powerful demon in the void, where all the demons already in the game come from. The other guy may not even show up, the only thing we know for sure is that the Warring Triad are gonna be involved somehow.

I really liked how Ultros and Typhon are just demons from the void that were summoned by rogue thaumaturges and decided to hang out and make money in the coliseum.

You know, I had a thought about Regula van Hydrus. And then I realized that there is a much more horrible possibility for him.

'Authority of the Serpent' .. another Serpentarius reference.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the chances of that happening are probably a lot higher depending on how the game's RNG works.

I swear to God that standard synthesis only has a 70% working rate since I've been burned enough times on my last craft step for it to fail that I make sure I get steady hand I up first.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: One detail I like is how all the new content (and not just the latest Primal fight) are integrated into the story of each patch, although I can imagine depending on how someone levels a new character it can produce some weird moments:

Scion: Hey, this new rogue discipline sounds mighty interesting, you should check it out!
*Lvl 50 Ninja player nods enthusiastically*

Same way Ifrit and Ramuh are in this game. They're simply new spins on old characters in an Eorzean context.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Belzac posted:

The denial is loving real.

Shut the gently caress up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The tokens aren't hard to get with a static. We ran it for the first time last night and by the end most of us ended up with all that we needed because each one drops two chests. I only need one item from the third fight now, myself.

I welcome the change. I didn't get my dreadwyrm dragoon chest until well after FCOB was taken off of the weekly lockout simply because it just never dropped. We started clearing T11 in December.

I think I do like the hybrid token and drops from the ex primals a bit better than the alex drops, but either way there are two chests for three items in each fight. It doesn't take much time at all to get everything.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Let's see how you all feel after your 400th A2 run by August. Wow this is so much more exciting...

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Belzac posted:

Let's see how you all feel after your 400th A2 run by August. Wow this is so much more exciting...

As opposed to 21 weeks without a WHM cane? no thanks

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'd rather not get the loot and be able to go with my life than have to run this raid 40+ times a week. If you're worrying about weapons you already cleared so who cares. Just wait for the lockout to go away and grind it out in a day. There are a million better ways they could have done a token system that isn't this.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

the ravana tokens are a million times better tbh but anything beats a million CT runs like in 2.x

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Belzac posted:

I'd rather not get the loot and be able to go with my life than have to run this raid 40+ times a week. If you're worrying about weapons you already cleared so who cares. Just wait for the lockout to go away and grind it out in a day. There are a million better ways they could have done a token system that isn't this.

I mostly agree with this. I've already seen mostly bolts and no cranks or chains. RNG can make this system just as tedious as before, but at least then I knew I was done for the week.

I figured they were going the WoW route of classes on tokens.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Francis posted:

I'm curious if people in progression statics are actually willing to grind out Alexander long enough for 8 springs and shafts to drop every week and if so how long it took them.

My static is missing two drops for the entire group and we've run each floor 4 times, 5 times for A4. Just stagger your loot order so some people grab pedals and other people grab chains this week etc and you won't see much rot on the floor. Except for the dreaded Double Lens A3.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
*cries about people posting spoiler text on SA instead of ffgoons*
*starts spoilertexting poo poo that hasn't happened in the video game*

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac has a point. I'm really not looking forward to running each floor at least 8 times a week with my static (remember that only two our of a possible three items can drop). And it's even worse for casual players, because every time they run they'll always be rolling against 7 other people. It's also confusing and unintuitive (how am I supposed to know that a spring is a leg token?), and it's really easy to bottleneck yourself unless you put in the effort to plan out what drop you want each week. It's a really lovely system.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's a shame because Ravana and Bismarck are a study in tokens done right whereas this is just fuckup city.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I think this SkizzleofRagnarok guy on the OF is the second coming of WeiShan.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's a shame because Ravana and Bismarck are a study in tokens done right whereas this is just fuckup city.

Yeah. Like... there's nothing wrong with the Ravana/Bismarck token systems at all. They provide random drops that can speed up the process of getting geared along with tokens for people with exceptionally poor luck. You can stagger the token drops for a raid so that people aren't gearing out in two days if you want, but the current system is all sorts of weird. Just do a Ravana-esque token system and make it so that each floor only drops a single token per week, along with a single item overall (across every floor) per week.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I liked the alex token system a lot more before I realized that there were different tokens for each slot.

I think it would be at least 50% less poo poo if there were literally just "left side gear token" and "right side gear token".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wait, Ultros shows up in this game? Yay. :3::cthulhu:

Also, now that I finally got a chance to make characters on Excalibur, I have no idea what to actually play. I got both Rogue and Archer to 20 on another server and didnt really enjoy either so Im thinking of giving Marauder a try. Spellcasting looks like a giant pain in the rear end and appears to have the most ability bloat so Ill probably avoid those classes at all costs. I guess my biggest question is can I avoid tanking as a Marauder?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

can I avoid tanking as a Marauder?
No. Maurader is a tank.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
The "good" Alex gear will probably be drops in Savage anyways or a pure token for one piece. Normal mode seems to just give casual players a goal each week to get the token they want. It's as if SE wants people to keep playing the game for a long period of time.....

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Warriors are very involved tanks that play very similar to a DPS in the tanking role.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Klades posted:

I liked the alex token system a lot more before I realized that there were different tokens for each slot.

I think it would be at least 50% less poo poo if there were literally just "left side gear token" and "right side gear token".

Actually the best way they could have done this is separate the tokens out by stat weights. Accessory/Waist token, Hat/Glove/Boots token and Chest/Pants token. This way they could preserve the loot progression they had within each set of Coil turns while having less things rot.

I mean I guess they never want to repeat Turn 1 again and have the Chest drop from the first turn of a raid dungeon.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Fister Roboto posted:

Belzac has a point. I'm really not looking forward to running each floor at least 8 times a week with my static (remember that only two our of a possible three items can drop). And it's even worse for casual players, because every time they run they'll always be rolling against 7 other people. It's also confusing and unintuitive (how am I supposed to know that a spring is a leg token?), and it's really easy to bottleneck yourself unless you put in the effort to plan out what drop you want each week. It's a really lovely system.

While I agree that its a pretty garbage way to handle tokens, I think you're overstating matters here. In TYOL 2015 if someone can't be assed to open reddit and find one of like 4 "~optimal loot paths~" and corresponding charts showing what token = what piece, then why are they doing Alexander to begin with? Not to mention you can just walk over to the vendor and compare the gear you want to the tokens you buy it with.

It took me approximately 5 minutes and 0 effort to plan my next 3 weeks of drops.

The whole "farm this endlessly with your static" thing is totally valid and sucks, but then again Alexander is also super easy and it's not hard to get pickup groups.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Wait, Ultros shows up in this game? Yay. :3::cthulhu:

Also, now that I finally got a chance to make characters on Excalibur, I have no idea what to actually play. I got both Rogue and Archer to 20 on another server and didnt really enjoy either so Im thinking of giving Marauder a try. Spellcasting looks like a giant pain in the rear end and appears to have the most ability bloat so Ill probably avoid those classes at all costs. I guess my biggest question is can I avoid tanking as a Marauder?

Spellcasting isn't fundamentally different or anything. This isn't Everquest. They're just abilities with cast times.

And no. Marauder/Warrior is a tank, period.

Edit: Casters also have the same amount of abilities as everyone else sooo :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 9, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whether it's easy or not to look the stuff up outside of the game is irrelevant to the fact that they didn't make any of it readily apparent within the game itself. The tooltip on the token items doesn't mention anything about what it can be used for or where. How hard would it be to just add the sentence "Can be exchanged for leg armor in Idyllshire" to the spring tooltip?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Now that I've gotten to 50 AST, I'm kinda frustrated that I can't switch between Diurnal and Nocturnal in-battle, and I'm honestly not sure why they're restricted like that, coming off of basically every other stance in the game. Are they afraid Astrologian would get too powerful despite it's lower numbers if we were allowed to stance-dance?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Spellcasting isn't fundamentally different or anything. This isn't Everquest. They're just abilities with cast times.

And no. Marauder/Warrior is a tank, period.

Well boo, I liked the idea of swinging a big fuckoff axe around without any care or responsibility. :(

You misunderstand my issue with casters in this game, its that Im very against the idea of having to macro macros and set up anything more than a single hotbar to play. Really its just :effort: on my behalf but whatever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Well boo, I liked the idea of swinging a big fuckoff axe around without any care or responsibility. :(

You misunderstand my issue with casters in this game, its that Im very against the idea of having to macro macros and set up anything more than a single hotbar to play. Really its just :effort: on my behalf but whatever.

Macros are pretty worthless as a rule, because they're far slower than using your abilities manually, and it's literally impossible to play any class in this game using only one hotbar. You have a lot of misconceptions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Furnaceface posted:

You're going to have to set up more than one bar for every class in the game because you get a bunch of skills with all of them.

Macros for combat are almost always dumb and aren't really needed. You don't have to set up any for any class.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So, I just opened up Heavensward, that 40 minute long scene huh? What a payoff.

When do I put in Disk 3? :allears:

This game really started to scratch that final fantasy itch around Coerthas for me.

Furnaceface posted:

Friend, just swing the bloody axe around and roll tank. Warrior is HELLA FUN*, and there's good, relatively no-nonsense guides on the internet for understanding your jobs in instances if you worried about letting people down. Seriously, get your choppa and dive in. :black101:

*Only a level 40 Warrior, so take with a block of salt!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 9, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Funnily enough, it's melee classes that can get the most use out of macros.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Francis posted:

I'm curious if people in progression statics are actually willing to grind out Alexander long enough for 8 springs and shafts to drop every week and if so how long it took them.

For what it's worth, I got the 5 clears achivement on A4 yesterday and saw exactly one shaft drop.

I got the shaft; I didn't get the shaft :q:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Friend, just swing the bloody axe around and roll tank. Warrior is HELLA FUN*, and there's good, relatively no-nonsense guides on the internet for understanding your jobs in instances if you worried about letting people down. Seriously, get your choppa and dive in. :black101:

*Only a level 40 Warrior, so take with a block of salt!

Just wait until you get to 54 :allears:

Warrior is great and super fun but not my recommendation for someone who wants something simple and less stressful. BLM or BRD are probably the best for that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ Fell Cleave is pretty overkill. Getting Deliverance made leveling go faster than MNK and getting Fell Cleave meant I could occasionally just pop CDs and explode a mob because a level 54 person can crit for upwards of 3.5k damage, twice, in a couple seconds with it.

Vahalla posted:

#1: Other classes get strong utility as well.

-Monk gets enhanced mantra, removes buffs from enemies and reduces their intelligence and resistance by 10%

Please tell us about the wonders of One-Ilm Punch (outside of PVP). :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

For what it's worth, I got the 5 clears achivement on A4 yesterday and saw exactly one shaft drop.

I got the shaft; I didn't get the shaft :q:

Anna I'm here to tell you that you should just get four Springs in the first two weeks because the Tank chest is hot garbage and you can get the Esoterics chest by week 4 anyway.

• Locked thread