Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

We can go from less than 1% of the GG accounts where harassers to what GamerGate is actually concerned about (which is neither ethics or harassment) but I have little feeling how little that matters to this comment.

No, I'd honestly like to know what GG is actually concerned about if it neither ethics in games journalism or harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Businesses have the right not to hire someone for pretty much any reason under the sun as long as it's not because of their race, nationality, religion, gender, disability status or (in some states) sexual preference. It's still not the same thing as Joseph McCarthy hauling people in front of Congress on suspicion of being Soviet double agents.

Using a list of names from an unregulated social media program as a Do Not Hire list may not be illegal, but it's certainly disgusting, regardless of that it's allegedly full of GamerGaters.

Edit: And I'm starting to get super twitchy every time someone says "But what does this have to do with ethics in games Journalism." It's been established that it isn't the reason for GamerGate. Ya'll are going to give me a complex.

"I swear to god I'm going to pistol-whip the next one of you that says 'but what does this have to do with ethics in games journalism?'"

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 9, 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fluo posted:

http://archive.is/hegey

People who replied to pointing out racism ended up on the blacklist without any other tweet regarding this silly drama.

Where does it show that people were put on the blocklist explicitly for replying to this tweet (also the blocklist isn't populated based on manual input)?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

Nobody lost their job for being blocked on Twitter.

quote:

Running a blacklist or a means in which people are prohibited from a job based on social, religious or civil factors is discrimination. A lot of people following or retweeting individuals exposing and spreading the news about media corruption under the GamerGate hashtag are being blocked by a GG Autoblocker. Some indie devs feared this could hinder or hurt their potential employment opportunities down the line in the games industry field. Well, the situation took an even more damaging turn when an online jobs resource bot on Twitter began employing the GG Autoblocker, catching some indies in the process.

The GG Autoblocker originally gained fame when it was first endorsed by the IGDA and then stopped being endorsed by the IGDA. A lot of indie devs feared that being on the blocklist could prevent them from being notified or clued into gainful employment opportunities. Well, some of them are dealing with this issue now that a Game Jobs Bot on Twitter has been employing the GG Autoblocker, which blocks anyone following “significant” people utilizing the #GamerGate hashtag.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Slanderer posted:

Twitter has recently started filtering your notifications, but normally you get notified for every star or retweet of your tweets, every reply, and every mention (within some limits). If some rando tags you in a post about the enemies of video games people keep replying to that tweet (while leaving your @ in the reply, which it adds by default), you will keep getting notifications. This makes separating out meaningful notifications from the poo poo firehose pointed at you impossible. You can ignore all mentions from people you don't follow, but that's the only level of filtering available (and doing so cripples the utility of twitter).

So the point of a Twitter blocklist is to filter out people spamming you? This is very different from what GamerGate claims.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Name some of these people who lost their job because of a Twitter blocklist.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Talmonis posted:

Using a list of names from an unregulated social media program as a Do Not Hire list may not be illegal, but it's certainly disgusting, regardless of that it's allegedly full of GamerGaters.

It's not being used as a do not hire list.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Both of these aren't true, and the later comes from a mixture of their actual stupid censorship and not so stupid "You are labeling people harassers, which is slander/libel in some parts of the world"

If your going to make a RICO meme joke here too, your under obligation from Popehat to include the fact he made fun of Wu and Ghazi for mentioning time in and out that the FBI is going to get 8chan and GamerGate at large.

There is a reason why all of the proposed lawsuits against Harper have never materialized. I'll let you think about why that is.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You're naive. The issue isn't just that people are receiving death and rape threats and insults, the issue is that receive them in such volumes that they are unable to use Twitter. It is not a question of comfort, it is a question of functionality.

The problem is the vast majority of their threats weren't by GamerGate accounts and the blocklist has done nothing to stop it, with both WAM and Twitter support basically saying that people also happen to confuse political discourse with threats with the majority of the tweets reported.

There is nothing wrong with the blocklist despite what GG says outside of the simple fact it was actually designed to act as an echo chamber so each side can repeat memes at each other, while obsessing about what the other side does or says without interacting with them.

Slanderer posted:

There is a reason why all of the proposed lawsuits against Harper have never materialized. I'll let you think about why that is.

Because both she and the IDGA took down statements on the blockbot that could be construed that way. Way to read my post saying she did nothing illegal and that your repeating a weird Ghazi meme about something even GG doesn't believe.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 9, 2015

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Talmonis posted:

It's a good thing we haven't seen any evidence of this actually happening, then!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Talmonis posted:

That does sound disgusting. Can you name some people that have been fired or shut out of a job because of it, or should I just believe you?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fluo posted:

American centric politics is rad as hell.

So, you agree that you were wrong about what a blacklist is? Or are you just doing to cover your ears and continue throwing a tantrum?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Obdicut posted:

It's not being used as a do not hire list.

Pretty pointless. These guys don't really keep their opinion under wraps, so the fact they are GamerGaters should be apparent in the interview, or on following them on Twitter (which a lot of interviewers do, to check that their hires will fit in.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

The problem is the vast majority of their threats weren't by GamerGate accounts and the blocklist has done nothing to stop it, with both WAM and Twitter support basically saying that people also happen to confuse political discourse with threats with the majorty of the tweets reported.

There is nothing wrong with the blocklist despite what GG says outside of the simple fact it was actually designed to act as an echo chamber so each side can repeat memes at each other, while obsessing about what the other side does or says without interacting with them.

It is perfectly okay to filter out sea lioning and the like too. Twitter users are not obligated to accept political discourse being messaged to them.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

Name some of these people who lost their job because of a Twitter blocklist.

4 twitter users were turned away by Burch before he left Gearbox because they replied to that tweet. He bragged about it. He later bragged about how the company he worked for was loving over Sega with regard to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Which caused him to "resign" and Sega filed a lawsuit against Gearbox.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Fluo posted:

Moving goal posts.

4 twitter users were turned away by Burch before he left Gearbox because they replied to that tweet. He bragged about it. He later bragged about how the company he worked for was loving over Sega withgard to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Which caused him to "resign" and Sega filed a lawsuit against Gearbox.

I'm moving goal posts by asking you for proof to back up your claims?

Nice edit by the way.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Fluo posted:

4 twitter users were turned away by Burch before he left Gearbox because they replied to that tweet. He bragged about it. He later bragged about how the company he worked for was loving over Sega with regard to Aliens: Colonial Marines. Which caused him to "resign" and Sega filed a lawsuit against Gearbox.

I'm sure you have some evidence for these allegations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

So the point of a Twitter blocklist is to filter out people spamming you? This is very different from what GamerGate claims.

They will position it as "censoring them" because they lack the self-awareness to realize that they are not having a conversation with someone by tweeting @ them when they are one of a 1000 people doing so within an hour, with most of those tweets consisting of "cuck", "oval office", or "top kek".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't think Burch had anything to do at all whatsoever with Gearbox being fuckwits that were sued for other reasons. Sounds like connecting dots that were never there, also Burch has been mocked for not having found much in the way of work, so I doubt he was in charge of hiring anywhere let alone at Gearbox.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm sure you have some evidence for these allegation.

I like how all of you are ignoring the pro racial segregation tweet.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Fluo posted:

Obdicut posted:

Yeah, we've covered that already. That tweet isn't pro-segregation. It says something that's true: That racial and gender segregation in the classroom can benefit minority and female students because, in mixed classrooms, teachers privilege white students and male students. If you follow the link, you'll see that's what it says.

Either you are incredibly dishonest or your reading comprehension abilities are shockingly woeful.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fluo posted:

Gender segregation probably works in classrooms bro.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fluo posted:

It was pro segregation if you're dumb, but you also thought that Chu calling rape vile was an endorsement.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

how the gently caress does any of this matter

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Fluo posted:

It's not a pro racial segregation tweet.

I like how you're ignoring my post telling you that.

Do you think Morehouse College is pro-segregation?

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's interesting because the people that I know of who are interested in actually interacting with Gamergate for some reason do not use the blocklist. The people I know of who do use it were on the receiving end of sealioning and flooding from Gamergate and installed it so that they can keep on talking about games and movies etc. in peace.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Slanderer posted:

They will position it as "censoring them" because they lack the self-awareness to realize that they are not having a conversation with someone by tweeting @ them when they are one of a 1000 people doing so within an hour, with most of those tweets consisting of "cuck", "oval office", or "top kek".

But "top kek" is not harassment which means they're obligated to read it, otherwise that's "censorship". That's how this works, right?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It is perfectly okay to filter out sea lioning. You are not obligated to accept political discourse messaged being messaged to you.

Sea Lioning is like man spreading it isn't a thing.

Also I said there was nothing wrong about it, just that it's perhaps the worst anti harassment tool ever and wasn't actually designed for that purpose.

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'd honestly like to know what GG is actually concerned about if it neither ethics in games journalism or harassment.

It's political tribalism on both sides at it's finest. Also not a "GG is all right wing, lol" or "Proud liberals vs evil leftist authoritarians" type dealio either.

Nonsense posted:

Gender segregation probably works in classrooms bro.

It doesn't. It was a piece of junk science that was almost immediately widely dismissed. It says volumes about the people parading about and less about the actual class room.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's a good thing we haven't seen any evidence of this actually happening, then!

Indeed. Though my response was to your statement:

quote:

Businesses have the right not to hire someone for pretty much any reason under the sun as long as it's not because of their race, nationality, religion, gender, disability status or (in some states) sexual preference. It's still not the same thing as Joseph McCarthy hauling people in front of Congress on suspicion of being Soviet double agents.

Which sounds as if you'd be fine with such a thing, were they doing it.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Fluo posted:

Why do you continue to deflect from providing proof for your claims?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Because both she and the IDGA took down statements on the blockbot that could be construed that way. Way to read my post saying she did nothing illegal and that your repeating a weird Ghazi meme about something even GG doesn't believe.

What ghazi meme am I repeating, exactly? I don't read reddit (because I'm not a child) so I wouldn't know. As of only a few months ago, people were still angrily tweeting at Popehat calling him (well, it's too lawyers, but I forget which tweets about gamergate) a LYING SHILL for making fun of their ludicrous libel claims.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
This thread is like an ouriboros of terrifying proportions. Or the worlds greatest tribute to sisyphus. Can we make Quinn a mod just to gas the thread? I think it would be poetic.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

I don't think Burch had anything to do at all whatsoever with Gearbox being fuckwits that were sued for other reasons.

https://twitter.com/reverendanthony/status/507381413721939968
https://twitter.com/reverendanthony/status/507406281268015105
https://twitter.com/reverendanthony/status/507390780722647040

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/04/sega-blames-gearbox-for-aliens-colonial-marines-disaster-4856366/

Time stamps are everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's political tribalism on both sides at it's finest. Also not a "GG is all right wing, lol" or "Proud liberals vs evil leftist authoritarians" type dealio either.

So it literally has no goal except opposing the other side, but it isn't about harassment.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
Hey Fluo, remember when you were too loving stupid and/or racist to tell apart two different Asian guys? Cause you suddenly seem to be avoiding that part of the discussion:

Fluo posted:

Good example, Arthur Chu former nazi, all round idiot. When he was AGG people would fall over themselves defending him. When he switched they brought up the same poo poo people did when he was on their side.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Sea Lioning is like man spreading it isn't a thing.

:lol: Yeah it is.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Talmonis posted:

Indeed. Though my response was to your statement:

Which sounds as if you'd be fine with such a thing, were they doing it.

~*sounds as if*~

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

circ dick soleil posted:

Why do you continue to deflect from providing proof for your claims?

Why do, especially since you are being so weird about it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NutritiousSnack posted:

Apparently GamerGate is for everything, and made of everything, except what it was just accused of being.

What's it for, clownstick? Difficulty: say something that isn't on this list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

NutritiousSnack posted:

Why do, especially since you are being so weird about it.

Uh oh I'm being weird :jerkbag:

• Locked thread