Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
The Warblade or Swordsage can cover for the Ranger (Tiger Claw!), depending on how mystical you want to play it. A White Raven Warblade is also the non-lovely version of the Marshal, 3.5's precursor to the Warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tome of Battle question: I know that the Warblade was intended to be a direct replacement for the Core Fighter, but was the Crusader supposed to replace the Paladin? And was the Swordsage supposed to replace anyone in particular?

I've only gone through two of the disciplines so far, but I don't think anything's going to top Finishing Move and Strike of Perfect Clarity.
Swordsage was supposed to replace the monk, iirc.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Tulul posted:

The Warblade or Swordsage can cover for the Ranger (Tiger Claw!), depending on how mystical you want to play it. A White Raven Warblade is also the non-lovely version of the Marshal, 3.5's precursor to the Warlord.

White Raven Tactics is one of the best buffs melee classes ever got. Iron Heart Surge, too, but for entirely different reasons.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Besides Menzoberranzan, which I have, what were those system/edition neutral books that WotC put out near the end of 4e and between editions?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

White Raven Tactics is one of the best buffs melee classes ever got. Iron Heart Surge, too, but for entirely different reasons.

Well, IHS is only really good if you (A) do what it wasn't intended to do (fully shut down cloudkills, etc, which is loving badass) or (B) bend the rules so it CAN do what it was meant to do--as written you can't shake off a stun or dominate with it, when by all rights you really SHOULD be doing that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I remember that /tg/ thread too.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Shutting down Cloudkill was something I did in a game, not something I read on the internet.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.

Sion posted:

Just to go back to this for a moment:

We know only one thing about London in the Fallout Universe and that is that someone moved from London to the Capital Wasteland and considered it a huge upgrade. Think about that for a moment. Going to the Capital Wasteland and thinking 'yeah, this is much nicer.'
The Commonwealth was New England.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, but Tenpenny came from England, or at least claimed to.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Esser-Z posted:

Shutting down Cloudkill was something I did in a game, not something I read on the internet.

The way I'm picturing this is the Warblade taking a firm stance, inhaling deeply until the cloud of poison gas is all inside his lungs and then letting out a mighty belch to disperse the cloud.

I'm perfectly okay with this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A bunch of developers on Google+ (including one who's a friend of mine) are posting pics of the old Torg d20 and saying "The Storm Is Coming".

I want a new edition of Torg so badly I'm willing to kill up to four of you guys to get it, but I also know it's probably not going to have a better system.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Good news: They've licensed the Palladium® Megaversal™ System©.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

inklesspen posted:

I will loving cut you.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Evil Mastermind posted:

A bunch of developers on Google+ (including one who's a friend of mine) are posting pics of the old Torg d20 and saying "The Storm Is Coming".

I want a new edition of Torg so badly I'm willing to kill up to four of you guys to get it, but I also know it's probably not going to have a better system.

I heard its going to be back using Savage Worlds rules.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

DocBubonic posted:

So what you're saying is that from a certain point of view it -will- be using the Rifts system.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

unseenlibrarian posted:

So what you're saying is that from a certain point of view it -will- be using the Rifts system.

Yeah, basically. I think TORG fans would just love the chance to do Megadamage to things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DocBubonic posted:

Probably not.

Which sucks, because if I can't get a Fate-powered Torg (which I know I'll never get because God loving forbid we don't use the old system because), Savage Worlds would have been my second choice.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

inklesspen posted:

:getin:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

unseenlibrarian posted:

It blew my mind when I read that RIFTs was being re-made with Savage Worlds. I had been more or less on an internet hiatus the month when that was announced and so when I just ran across someone casually mentioning it I thought it was a joke. It may be the first Rifts book in like 15 years that I might actually consider buying...although I imagine they'll have to pare down some things pretty heavily to make it fit into Savage Worlds (not that that's a bad thing...Rifts is much more interesting at the CyberKnight/Juicer/Ley Line Walker/Crazy level than it is at the Dragon/Demi-Vampire/God-Phallus level).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I hate that I live in a world where Rifts gets a fuckin' Savage Worlds version but Torg doesn't.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
What's cool about Savage Worlds? I remember it seeming ultra-generic from the look I took at it a while ago. Nothing really bad, but nothing exciting either.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
It's Fate for people who think Fate is too story gamey.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Angry nerds are the angriest people. And I love it.

https://youtu.be/plUPJ0inN4c?t=490

Len fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 10, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Don't link the escapist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

inklesspen posted:

Don't link the escapist.

It popped up in my Google now for Warham Fantasy. Why is it bad?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Their general manager, Alexander Macris, (and possibly other writers) is a Gamergater, and they've engaged in disreputable practices such as plugging Macris' D&D retroclone on The Escapist without disclosing the relationship.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

Angry nerds are the angriest people. And I love it.

https://youtu.be/plUPJ0inN4c?t=490

Why is he burning his WarHams and electronics?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why is he burning his WarHams and electronics?

Games Workshop betrayed him with Age of Sigmar. Granted AoS is indeed poo poo, but maybe sell/give your minis to someone who would like to use them for more than burning their lungs?

This Sigmar poo poo really is amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Their general manager, Alexander Macris, (and possibly other writers) is a Gamergater, and they've engaged in disreputable practices such as plugging Macris' D&D retroclone on The Escapist without disclosing the relationship.

Gaaaaaamerrrrrrrrrrgaaaaaaaate!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing about stuff like this that always gets me is how he thinks he's making some statement about how upset he is and how he was stabbed in the back by GW, but what he's really saying is "I am a jackass who takes this poo poo waaaaaaaay too seriously."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing about stuff like this that always gets me is how he thinks he's making some statement about how upset he is and how he was stabbed in the back by GW, but what he's really saying is "I am a jackass who takes this poo poo waaaaaaaay too seriously."

I'm sure someone at GW felt a brief pang of sympathy, right before realizing this goober is exactly the kind of guy who is going to turn around and buy $3k worth of new models in a year or so.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Gaaaaaamerrrrrrrrrrgaaaaaaaate!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terbus Busker' army of Glomby Garbuses

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Tulul posted:

What's cool about Savage Worlds? I remember it seeming ultra-generic from the look I took at it a while ago. Nothing really bad, but nothing exciting either.

It hits a few sweet spots really well. It generally takes playing it for the claws to really sink in.

It's got the style of a traditional game (list of stats, list of skills, etc) but without a lot of the "bulk". It is just on the lowest end of "medium crunch", which is just the right spot for a lot of people. It also uses the full range of dice, which may seem like an odd plus but I enjoy it.

It leans very hard on the "fun" button. Almost all dice explode which just immediately triggers the same sort of "Whoooo!" response as a critical hit in standard D&D but it happens more often and the results are often more significant. Resolution systems are designed to be very quick and straightforward and fights will usually end quickly.

Characters are badasses from the start but never invulnerable. They're very much on the "action hero" level so you don't have to worry about starting off at "dirt farmer" and going to "guy who picks arrows out of his teeth". The rules ensure that there's at least some sense of risk or the possibility of failure with any given encounter while still ensuring that the PCs will almost always come out on top. Character growth is extremely fast but relatively simple and doesn't involve huge spikes in power level.

That said, don't try it if you get hung up on things like consistent math and smooth probability curves. Also, despite repeated attempts it just does not work as a system for super-heroes.

EDIT: I've also found it absolutely perfect for "I want to play a D&D setting but I don't want to bother with any of the D&D systems". I've had very good luck with both Eberron and Dark Sun conversions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's important to bear in mind, too, that when SW first came out, the concept of a complete, single-book generic digest-sized RPG was unheard of. Especially at a $10 price point. I remember when it came out, a lot of people were saying "instead of buying a $50 D&D book, I bought five copies of Savage Worlds and gifted them to my group."

oriongates posted:

Also, despite repeated attempts it just does not work as a system for super-heroes.
Which is a shame, because Necessary Evil is a really fun setting.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Never played Torg. Skimming the wikipedia page it seems to be a multigenere mashup where anything goes.

Sell me on it. Was the attraction the system or the setting?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

oriongates posted:

EDIT: I've also found it absolutely perfect for "I want to play a D&D setting but I don't want to bother with any of the D&D systems". I've had very good luck with both Eberron and Dark Sun conversions.

Is it just me or are other people finding playing/listening to D&D/d20 combat ... boring and tedious? Every encounter take at least an hour.
:shrug:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

inklesspen posted:

It's Fate for people who think Fate is too story gamey.

I think it's more GURPS for people who don't like differential equations.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Helical Nightmares posted:

Never played Torg. Skimming the wikipedia page it seems to be a multigenere mashup where anything goes.

Sell me on it. Was the attraction the system or the setting?
the attraction is TORG TORG TORG TORG TORGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG TORG TORG, TORG TORG TORG TORG!

its sole noteworthy quality was the game name sounding like a pokemon and you would be surprised how effective 'naming your game after a pokemon you just kind of made up who is also an anime cyberpope' is as a marketing strategy holy poo poo

Is it just me or are other people finding playing/listening to D&D/d20 combat ... boring and tedious? Every encounter take at least an hour.
It's not just you.

Like, I understand that some people like that stuff, and that's great! But I just kinda feel like it's the painfully boring poo poo in between the actual roleplaying, a lot of the time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

its literally only you

• Locked thread