Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thinning with alcohol can cause issues with some paints too. Certain brands are perfectly fine with alcohol, usually stuff simlar to Tamiya which have a slighter "hotter" base than most acrylics, but some paints will completely curdle and separate if any alcohol is introduced. Then you just end up with huge brush clogging clumps of pigment.

I know using home-made thinners and concotions of household chemicals is really popular in modelling, but it really is best to use the proper, branded thinners for each product. Tamiya paints should get Tamiya thinner, Vallejo should get Vallejo thinner, etc etc. It costs a bit more in the end, but it's a little more spent to save you from endless headaches when you find one one brands thinners destroys a different brands paint.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thinning with alcohol can cause issues with some paints too. Certain brands are perfectly fine with alcohol, usually stuff simlar to Tamiya which have a slighter "hotter" base than most acrylics, but some paints will completely curdle and separate if any alcohol is introduced. Then you just end up with huge brush clogging clumps of pigment.

I know using home-made thinners and concotions of household chemicals is really popular in modelling, but it really is best to use the proper, branded thinners for each product. Tamiya paints should get Tamiya thinner, Vallejo should get Vallejo thinner, etc etc. It costs a bit more in the end, but it's a little more spent to save you from endless headaches when you find one one brands thinners destroys a different brands paint.

Yep I'd always consult what to use. Testors I'd use testors brand thinner. Some other paint specifically said to just use alcohol, some other company said theirs came pre-thinned but add a touch of water if it's not flowing great. I'd always research and follow instructions. I guess it's just a garbo brush.

Buying a brush locally is ridiculously expensive. Is there a good site for finding a good brand brush for a good price? I'm looking at something that just turns objects another colour. I'll never be drawing with my brush, just flood-filling. Basically using it like a rattle-can, not drawing wizards on a van. I kinda need someone to just be like "here's a link to the brush you need"

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I definitely agree with that. I was using a home brew thinner of distilled water, alcohol, and flow improver for my Tamiya paints, but the x-20a thinner works so so much better.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I use each brand's thinner for thinning paints but use acetone to clean brushes and what not since it seems to work on most paints.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baronjutter posted:

Buying a brush locally is ridiculously expensive. Is there a good site for finding a good brand brush for a good price? I'm looking at something that just turns objects another colour. I'll never be drawing with my brush, just flood-filling. Basically using it like a rattle-can, not drawing wizards on a van. I kinda need someone to just be like "here's a link to the brush you need"

Dixie Art usually has good prices on brushes. Chicago Airbrush Supply is probably the top dealer in airbrushes and airbrush supplies in the US. They ocassionaly have fantastic deals on stuff as well, usually coinciding with a holiday. Amazon has their ongoing 80% off deal on the Sotar 20/20. They're currently out of stock, but it's an amazing airbrush, so when they get them back in stock it's a great deal. Coast Airbrush is a good dealer as well.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 9, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, now that I've gotten a little more into small-scale stuff, and been working on the AT-ST, I find I'm really starting to dislike Tamiya paints. Their brushability straight out of the bottle is abysmal; it was skinning over on the palette within 2 minutes of putting some there, and the stuff was drying on my brush seconds after painting with it. Adding some thinner improved things a bit, but even then I found the coverage between colours quite different. Some covered okay, others would go down translucent at best, and a second brush stroke over them would basically remove them. I hear airbrushing with them is better, but then you have to thin them every time.

Conversely, I had some 7+ year old Vallejo bottles that still go on perfectly. Great coverage, go on thick or thin, last ages on the palette, and the whole air range that can be sprayed neat. Definitely think I'm going to go in all Vallejo from this point forward.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I have had very mixed results with Tamiya paints in my time. I think I will not bother with them in future.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got one up. Man it's a pain in the rear end working on the ceiling. I hope my neck/back survive and that I also survive what my wife thinks about this thick black chord. I have no idea how to hide it. I guess I could some how secure it to the wall so it looks a bit less ghetto. Also for some reason it's tilted and facing the layout a bit. I mean that's ok because it should tilt towards the layout a little anyways but I don't know why it's tilting, it should be perfectly balanced.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 10, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The fixtures are so light that the cord angling toward the wall is enough to make the entire light angle that way as well.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, now that I've gotten a little more into small-scale stuff, and been working on the AT-ST, I find I'm really starting to dislike Tamiya paints. Their brushability straight out of the bottle is abysmal; it was skinning over on the palette within 2 minutes of putting some there, and the stuff was drying on my brush seconds after painting with it. Adding some thinner improved things a bit, but even then I found the coverage between colours quite different. Some covered okay, others would go down translucent at best, and a second brush stroke over them would basically remove them. I hear airbrushing with them is better, but then you have to thin them every time.

Conversely, I had some 7+ year old Vallejo bottles that still go on perfectly. Great coverage, go on thick or thin, last ages on the palette, and the whole air range that can be sprayed neat. Definitely think I'm going to go in all Vallejo from this point forward.

I haven't bothered trying to brush Tamiya. I'm getting great results from the airbrush, though.

I gotta try getting my hands on some Vallejo. I keep hearing great things about them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh these make such a huge difference. 12,000 lumen!!

The camera really doesn't show how bright the room is as it's trying to compensate for being pointed directly at the lights, but it's really nice in the train room now. I can see, I can work, even at night!! I just need to buy one more short extension cord and I can daisy-chain the lights off a single power-bar and control them that way. Right now I have to crawl under my desk and behind the shelf to plug 2 of them in. I'm absolutely exhausted after putting these up. I must be out of shape, that or working on the ceiling and constantly climbing up and down a chair is a nightmare. I got tired and almost fell off the chair, that would have been bad (my skull could have damaged a building).

Also in my cleaning I managed to vacuum up a $10 set of wheels/couplers. I managed to fish one out of the bag (nasty) but it some how got bent and the plastic was all white from the stress :(

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

The Locator posted:

Speaking of sales, I just got a postcard from Model Expo. 50% off everything with free shipping over $150 and back orders are included.

So what? You say.. They just started carrying the entire line of Vallejo paints. So if you were ever interested in getting that 72 bottle set of Model-air, it's now $150 with free shipping if you add in another item of any price to push the total over 150.

Use offer code FIRE5 and its good through July 31st. Their website won't show the correct price until checkout.

This place, yes? Also is there a way to find their Vallejo stock other than in search results?

e: Yeah I found it eventually, but I figured there would have been something under "Paints" or "Painting" :shrug:.

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 10, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

This place, yes? Also is there a way to find their Vallejo stock other than in search results?

That's the place. You can just search "Vallejo" and it will bring up a huge listing of all their stuff. You can also go down to the very bottom of the left side of their home page and there is a "Resources" section. The first item in there is their catalog (click for a direct link, I hope!).

Once the catalog loads, pages 40 - 42 are Vallejo, the first two pages are full color sets with part numbers, and page 42 is all the sets.

Baronjutter posted:

Oh these make such a huge difference. 12,000 lumen!!

They are pretty awesome. I'm glad I got them. I've got 3 more to hang now.

Baronjutter posted:

I must be out of shape, that or working on the ceiling and constantly climbing up and down a chair is a nightmare. I got tired and almost fell off the chair, that would have been bad (my skull could have damaged a building).

I totally feel your pain. When I got home from work tonight (and by got home from work, I mean logged off and walked two rooms to the hobby room) I launched project Wiremold.

After I finish that 2nd outlet on that side, I have to mirror the entire arrangement on the other side. I won't be finishing tonight, but I'll get the one side done for sure after my back recovers a bit. The far outlet on both sides will be switched off of my current light switch, and the close outlet off of the ceiling fan switch (I've never had a fan in this room). I pick up the rest of the furniture tomorrow after work, and this weekend is devoted to finishing the Wiremold and building all the furniture and getting everything set back up. Then I get to reorganize everything.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Guys?

GUYS!

MODELLING IS FUCKIN' RAD!!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well, to be fair, if I wasn't enjoying myself modeling I sure as hell wouldn't be putting this kind of effort and money into the room I do it in!

Vallejo paints - is there a significant difference between the Acrylic Model Colors line, and the Acrylic Model Air line? Are the colors duplicated but in a paint targeted at brushing vs. air, or are the actual palettes enough different that you would want both lines?

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 10, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think the wiremolds would work for my room because it's all coved. I think I'm going to just paint them white or something. How do those things secure to the wall anyways?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The colors between Model Color and Model Air are very similar. If you had to buy one of the lines, I'd go with the Model Air. They're pre-thinned to go straight into an airbrush, but they still brush well too.

I was going to buy some as well from Model Expo. Every god-damned time I've tried to buy from them though, something is hosed with their website. One time it was Google warning of suspected malware on the site. Then they have an ongoing issue with the system getting confused about accounts and going "This account appears to be a duplicate. Please give us more info." Then this time I try to buy, the checkout process keeps throwing out errors about the shipping process being invalid, even though I've selected "Canadian Shipping" from their menu. Apparently they've revamped their shipping process and costs as well. That was a year ago, but they still haven't updated their site to reflect it. loving MODEL EXPO!

I mean, they're probably fine to buy from, sort of, but this was a company that the owner of died, and his son is now running it even though he doesn't really want to. His attitude toward the business is basically ".... meh, whatever. Money still comin' in? Good."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Baronjutter posted:

I got one up. Man it's a pain in the rear end working on the ceiling. I hope my neck/back survive and that I also survive what my wife thinks about this thick black chord. I have no idea how to hide it.
Paint it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgSO8_cRio

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

How do those things secure to the wall anyways?

Normal sheet rock anchors (small ones) every 18", and two for each box.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The colors between Model Color and Model Air are very similar. If you had to buy one of the lines, I'd go with the Model Air. They're pre-thinned to go straight into an airbrush, but they still brush well too.

Thanks, I ordered some.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I was going to buy some as well from Model Expo. Every god-damned time I've tried to buy from them though, something is hosed with their website. One time it was Google warning of suspected malware on the site. Then they have an ongoing issue with the system getting confused about accounts and going "This account appears to be a duplicate. Please give us more info." Then this time I try to buy, the checkout process keeps throwing out errors about the shipping process being invalid, even though I've selected "Canadian Shipping" from their menu. Apparently they've revamped their shipping process and costs as well. That was a year ago, but they still haven't updated their site to reflect it. loving MODEL EXPO!

I mean, they're probably fine to buy from, sort of, but this was a company that the owner of died, and his son is now running it even though he doesn't really want to. His attitude toward the business is basically ".... meh, whatever. Money still comin' in? Good."

They 'revamped' their website a while back, and somehow managed to make it even worse, it was amazing. They got so many complaints that they rolled it back to the old website and it hasn't changed since.

The Google reporting it as malware is an old problem and I have no idea what is up with it, but I've purchased quite a few items from them over the last year without any problems. Even through their website is pretty terrible in some ways, and as you say, the owner isn't great, as a company they are fantastic to work with. They have pretty great customer service and replace parts from all of their kits with no questions asked. Even if you straight up tell them "I hosed this part up by running over it with my car", and ask how much to get a new piece, they ship out a free replacement part the next day. If the part is on a laser cut sheet, they just send out the entire sheet again.

You can always ignore their site and give them a call and order on the phone too, the offer code is still good when phone ordering.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Guys?

GUYS!

MODELLING IS FUCKIN' RAD!!

It's true, even a guy who messes it up like me has a good time!

The Locator posted:

Well, to be fair, if I wasn't enjoying myself modeling I sure as hell wouldn't be putting this kind of effort and money into the room I do it in!

Vallejo paints - is there a significant difference between the Acrylic Model Colors line, and the Acrylic Model Air line? Are the colors duplicated but in a paint targeted at brushing vs. air, or are the actual palettes enough different that you would want both lines?

Go with Model Air, they're mostly duplicates as far as I know. They brush great and spray brilliantly. Some Model Colour paints have cadmium or something in that means you really shouldn't spray them with an airbrush, the Vallejo website goes into detail about which ones. The Model Air ones are all safe and good and cool.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

EthanSteele posted:

Go with Model Air, they're mostly duplicates as far as I know. They brush great and spray brilliantly. Some Model Colour paints have cadmium or something in that means you really shouldn't spray them with an airbrush, the Vallejo website goes into detail about which ones. The Model Air ones are all safe and good and cool.

Thanks. Took advantage of the sale. Didn't see anything in the 72 paint set that struck me as being worth paying more per bottle, so I just clicked a lot and bought them all individually. I won't get the case, color chart, or some of the brushes is all, but get more paints for the same money.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Heh, I bought the whole range in individual bottles today as well.

Even calling in was a hassle though. I emailed them off a list of what I wanted first, since it was about 70 items total. Then they're all "Okay, call me back in 10 minutes and I'll have it all entered for you." Cut to 3 hours of "Hang on, just give me 10 more minutes." When they were finally ready to complete the order, the guy must have put me on hold 10 times in as many minutes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Even calling in was a hassle though. I emailed them off a list of what I wanted first, since it was about 70 items total. Then they're all "Okay, call me back in 10 minutes and I'll have it all entered for you." Cut to 3 hours of "Hang on, just give me 10 more minutes." When they were finally ready to complete the order, the guy must have put me on hold 10 times in as many minutes.

Heh. I've never called in an order, and all my interactions with their customer service were email based. Sucks that it was such a pain to place the order, the website worked fine for me when I did it. Bit slow to refresh a few times, but other than that no issues at all (except that I spent way too much money).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Project Wiremold is complete, and the lights are repositioned for the new furniture, which I now need to assemble.

Once I've got the new furniture put together and in place, I can figure out exactly how I'm going to arrange the work benches for the power tools, and hang two more fixtures which will be powered off the empty outlets closest to the camera in the photo. At least 80% of the over my head work is done with only 2 fixtures left to hang, although I do need to hit all the cords with at least one more coat of paint, white doesn't cover black terribly well in a single coat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That looks really good! If I owned this place or was renting in germany I'd totally do that, think I'm pushing it with the landlord with these lights as-is. I mean I'm fine with some black cords hanging over to my backdrop, and my wife just loves that you can finally SEE in there. I got the whole thing daisy-chained off one power bar so I can turn it on/off that way. Going to secure the cords to the bottom of my layout, will look ok. Might paint the cords...

I was celebrating finishing all my track. I HATE laying track so I was so glad to be done with it. Packed away my soldering iron and flux and track cutters and all that. Then I saw this.

I don't know how I missed a whole turnout leading to nothing, I guess I had a little siding planned here. My excuse was that it was too dark to see it previously.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baronjutter posted:

That looks really good! If I owned this place or was renting in germany I'd totally do that, think I'm pushing it with the landlord with these lights as-is. I mean I'm fine with some black cords hanging over to my backdrop, and my wife just loves that you can finally SEE in there. I got the whole thing daisy-chained off one power bar so I can turn it on/off that way. Going to secure the cords to the bottom of my layout, will look ok. Might paint the cords...

I was celebrating finishing all my track. I HATE laying track so I was so glad to be done with it. Packed away my soldering iron and flux and track cutters and all that. Then I saw this.

I don't know how I missed a whole turnout leading to nothing, I guess I had a little siding planned here. My excuse was that it was too dark to see it previously.
Obviously you were distracted by Ultra Magnus just chillin' in your train room like that.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

The Locator posted:

Thanks. Took advantage of the sale. Didn't see anything in the 72 paint set that struck me as being worth paying more per bottle, so I just clicked a lot and bought them all individually. I won't get the case, color chart, or some of the brushes is all, but get more paints for the same money.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Bloody good buys these. You'll not regret it. See if you can pick up the game air set as well sometme as well, it is smaller and cheaper and expands the range somewhat.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

big_g posted:

Bloody good buys these. You'll not regret it. See if you can pick up the game air set as well sometme as well, it is smaller and cheaper and expands the range somewhat.

I've got a full set of Game Color, so I can thin those if need be. Those are the aforementioned 7+ year old bottles that still go on great.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Mostly finished with the interior of the AT-ST. Being my first real paint-job on a small-scale model, and the very first ever 1/48 scale kit, it was definitely a job getting all those buttons and lights and everything. Still, I quite like it. Might go back and tone down a bit of the wash and grime, but otherwise just needs a coat of dull and then gloss on a few of the lights. (the areas you see big splotchy pools of wash will be hidden in the end)

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Mostly finished with the interior of the AT-ST. Being my first real paint-job on a small-scale model, and the very first ever 1/48 scale kit, it was definitely a job getting all those buttons and lights and everything. Still, I quite like it. Might go back and tone down a bit of the wash and grime, but otherwise just needs a coat of dull and then gloss on a few of the lights. (the areas you see big splotchy pools of wash will be hidden in the end)

Looking very nice, how much of that will be visible when the model is complete? Will you be modelling it with the hatch open?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'll have the hatch open and the eye ports open. I'm not sure if the roof is a snap-in piece or it just rests on the top, but either way I'll mod it if need be so it can be removed at will so people can check the insides.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Interior is looking great. With the limited visibility through hatches and ports I think it will be great. Does seem like there should be details on that entire center console between the seats though, kind of odd that it's mostly just bare.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Watching the Star Wars Ep 7 Comic-Con Reel makes me wish I was on the team of people who get to build the Millennium Falcon and other cool things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

How did you do the chipping on the bottom right of the second picture? Looks excellent.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Van Dis posted:

Watching the Star Wars Ep 7 Comic-Con Reel makes me wish I was on the team of people who get to build the Millennium Falcon and other cool things.

Well, you can

http://www.model-space.com/us/build-millennium-falcon.html

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Screw that, I want this:
http://www.model-space.com/gb/build-the-samurai-armour.html (though you can get a 1:1 scale replica cheaper than this 1:2 kit)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 11, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Screw that, I want this:
http://www.model-space.com/gb/build-the-samurai-armour.html (though you can get a 1:1 scale replica cheaper than this 1:2 kit)

Larry Ellison account spotted.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Holy crap I'm beat, but the furniture part and rearranging is done.

New work area.

The layout.

And a horribly stitched together fake 360 degree panorama. I couldn't shoot an actual panorama because my lens isn't wide enough to capture everything from the middle of the room and it turned out terrible.

Now I have to move the contents of almost every drawer, as well as unload the bottom of the work benches and completely restack the ugly black shelf to hold the stuff the long way instead of sticking out the sides. I would love to replace that ugly black thing, but short of custom building something I'm not sure how I can, as the stuff I'm storing on it is all 24" - 36" long, and strangely enough, they don't make shelves in that configuration that I've found!

Need to find a way to mount at least one of the swing arm lights to the new work area, and will probably move the Dremel over as well. I also need to hang two more light fixtures over the work bench's, but I ran out of hardware since I decided to relocate the two I had previously hung, so I'm not sure if I'll finish that right away.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Does seem like there should be details on that entire center console between the seats though, kind of odd that it's mostly just bare.

That area will be covered by the front control panel piece once everything goes together.

big_g posted:

How did you do the chipping on the bottom right of the second picture? Looks excellent.

Just a happy accident. There was some grit on there when I did my gloss coat in prep for the wash. Once the wash was on, it clung to all those little bits, making it look like little raised rusty chips. I suppose you could duplicate the effect with some pigments and binder before you go over them with a gloss.

The wash too was the Flory clay wash. Instead of the "wipe it all off except the stuff in the panels lines" method, I went for more of a dabbing motion. It would pick up some of the wash, but leave a bit of grime behind as well. So I could move it around and play with it to use it as a sort of filter as well.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Locator posted:

Holy crap I'm beat, but the furniture part and rearranging is done.

New work area.

Your benchwork looks pretty good, how wide are the tables, what's your minimum radius going to be? Also what's the point of that nice finish when it's all going to get covered in track and scenery?!