Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha McCoy's pose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

All twelve, sir!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Well yes, of course. I've never been able to play it before now, but I've got all sorts of souvenirs. Copies of all the advertising satellites that have ever been sent out. All the posters. I had a long correspondence with one of the founder programmers too, soon after it started. Although I never got to see the early days, I know it's not as good as it used to be but I'm still terribly interested.

:golfclap:

Perfect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All twelve, sir!

Could someone animate this into a AV for me?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Well yes, of course. I've never been able to play it before now, but I've got all sorts of souvenirs. Copies of all the advertising satellites that have ever been sent out. All the posters. I had a long correspondence with one of the founder programmers too, soon after it started. Although I never got to see the early days, I know it's not as good as it used to be but I'm still terribly interested.

ENTERTAIN ME OR DIE!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Yes yes yes, I hate this scene and every time Moffat goes and mettles with past stories. Even if he were still talented and capable of coherent, original and engaging stories with well written, well rounded characters it would be disgusting. He has actually framed himself as the entire reason the Doctor exist as he does, which is horseshit from a character perspective. Hartnell was a loveable selfish old man who was interested in himself, his granddaughter and occasionally a few other people, and over time grew into an adventurer who would stand up for the little guy. It wasn't until Troughton that he declared himself the enemy of evil everywhere, and even then he killed occasionally. For Moffat to go back and shove his convoluted half thought out trash into the core of the character is a disservice to the entire show.

That's why I don't accept the modern series as anything more than fan fiction (apart from season one) which occasionally puts out a good story worthy of the title. And when I'm getting all worked up over the plight of the show I remember there are lots of classic stories and good audios I've yet to watch and listen to, and I chill out.
This is dumb, Clara didn't make the Doctor the way he is she repaired the damage the Great Intelligence did, keeping him the way he is. I kind of view Listen the same way; she accidentally meddled in the Doctor's past by grabbing his foot and tried to damage control by telling him not to be scared.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While I in no way consider it an "origin story", it's certainly going into territory that no writer is really capable of pulling off, for a variety of reasons that have be discussed to death in the past. Tthat element of the story was - at best - going to make a small section of fans happy and a larger section of fans irritated, and we didn't really gain anything from it that couldn't have been achieved in numerous other ways without explicitly going back into the Doctor's own childhood.

As always, just because you CAN doesn't mean you always should, and Moffat took things a step too far in that episode in my opinion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

Could someone animate this into a AV for me?

I had to gut the colour quality to get it under 100k.

And an unaltered version if someone else wants to take a crack at it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It doesn't stop!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Between this and the River audios Doctor Who is going to have all my money.

At this rate, I'm going to get expatriated to the UK and forced to help pay for the BBC.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jsor posted:

Between this and the River audios Doctor Who is going to have all my money.

At this rate, I'm going to get expatriated to the UK and forced to help pay for the BBC.

Want to split a flat? I'd rather work under David Cameron than any of the candidates my party is putting up this year...

But at least I can use the excuse “I'm buying it for my stepdaughter!”

With whom, by the way, I wrapped up a second, non-electronics-in-the-room-to-distract-us viewing of The Ark in Space last night. I turned to her at the end, smiled, and said “every time you pop bubble wrap, a Wirrn egg hatches.”

She didn’t find it funny.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 9, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Oops! I'm wearing sandshoes!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Yes yes yes, I hate this scene and every time Moffat goes and mettles with past stories. Even if he were still talented and capable of coherent, original and engaging stories with well written, well rounded characters it would be disgusting. He has actually framed himself as the entire reason the Doctor exist as he does, which is horseshit from a character perspective. Hartnell was a loveable selfish old man who was interested in himself, his granddaughter and occasionally a few other people, and over time grew into an adventurer who would stand up for the little guy. It wasn't until Troughton that he declared himself the enemy of evil everywhere, and even then he killed occasionally. For Moffat to go back and shove his convoluted half thought out trash into the core of the character is a disservice to the entire show.

That's why I don't accept the modern series as anything more than fan fiction (apart from season one) which occasionally puts out a good story worthy of the title. And when I'm getting all worked up over the plight of the show I remember there are lots of classic stories and good audios I've yet to watch and listen to, and I chill out.

That scene didn't bother me. BabyDoc was asleep and the speech/scene was really about Clara herself and her relationship with the Doctor, which (as someone in the thread pointed out re: Name of the Doctor) takes the form of “I am going to help my friend, regardless of the consequences” more than the BECAUSE ITHE UNIVERSE MADE HER SPECIAL, DAMMIT that Moffat’s been guilty of before.

Ultimately, though, it’s the prerogative of whoever is writing the show to reshape the universe and history as they see fit. (If you apply this at the individual story level, it will reduce your blood pressure.) It just becomes a question of well it’s done. Make it work and the idea becomes an accepted part of the universe. Do it badly and you get Paul Magrs’ “the best thing about Doctor Who is me :smuggo:” as well as generally forgotten/overlooked (i.e., Ace’s brother).

:argh: “They never should have shown the Time Lords, it ruins the mystery!”
:byodood: “They never should have named the Doctor’s people, it ruins the mystery!”
:toughguy: “He can change his body? Since when?!”
:tizzy:“ I can’t believe the changed it! The Doctor built the TARDIS and Susan came up with the name!”

And so on. Bad writing is its own crime, but getting up in arms about pre-series backstory by default is pointless.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked the scene in Listen, because I don't think it fundamentally changes anything about who the Doctor is or why he travels, but as After the War says, it does contribute meaningfully to the season's main concern of straightening out who the Twelfth Doctor is and how he and Clara work together, while still fitting in thematically with the episode. The "Who am I?" question is answered at the end of the season with "I'm an idiot with a box and a screwdriver," as in "I'm just a person, learning who I am and what I do and trying to do the right thing, as everyone does," and seeing the Doctor as a vulnerable child actually contributes to that message. I don't place a lot of stuff in the "We should never see" category for Doctor Who anymore, besides previous Doctors being recast.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

After The War posted:

That scene didn't bother me.

Bad writing is its own crime, but getting up in arms about pre-series backstory by default is pointless.
I'm glad it didn't bother you. I wasn't attempting to change anyone's opinion of the show, that's just how I feel. My problem with it was that it wasn't pre-series, it was season 7 Moffat retconning the whole reason we have the character like he is (leg grab, TARDIS). That's gross to me. Moffat doesn't hold a candle to those earlier writers and producers, and to claim any responsibility for any element of that character before he became showrunner is not right.

josh04 posted:

What's the difference between the opening sequence in Name of the Doctor, and any given Big Finish story with a past Doctor? They're both insertions into the 'past' of a show almost defined by its shifting relation to its own non-canon.
The audios are their own contained stories usually. I'm sure a few have gone and interacted with the established "past" of the show, most don't. They take place in their respective eras and don't bother any other serial. When Moffat reaches into the past it's like a child playing with his action figures. Except canon.

2house2fly posted:

This is dumb, Clara didn't make the Doctor the way he is she repaired the damage the Great Intelligence did, keeping him the way he is. I kind of view Listen the same way; she accidentally meddled in the Doctor's past by grabbing his foot and tried to damage control by telling him not to be scared.
I wasn't specifically talking about the climax to season seven, that bothers me too but like you said it basically takes care of itself. What bothers me most is the "pick that TARDIS" and the end of Listen, when the "man so brave he dosn't need a gun" is seemingly meant to have a formative impact on The Doctor. Instead of character development which lasted seasons and regenerations we're suppose to accept cheap timey-wimey "cleverness". You may be right that the scene was "new" as far as the universe was concerned and from Hartnell - Smiths incarnations that scene never happened. I don't believe the show or Moffat intended that to be the case though.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

When they do a devoted Lego Doctor Who, they better call in Colin for ten+ hours of voice acting. Plus another 10 for the mellower Post-Trial!Six, and the option to mix either personality with any of the TV, Stage, or Audio coats!

But even if that never happens I'll be buying every set with a Colin Minifig in.

CobiWann posted:

I'd rather work under David Cameron than any of the candidates my party is putting up this year...

Maybe you should start re-evaluating things, then. :smugsix:

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 9, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Excise this word from your vocabulary and stop caring about it. You'll feel better.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

cargohills posted:

Excise this word from your vocabulary and stop caring about it. You'll feel better.
You're right that it doesn't matter that much, especially Doctor Who canon. And I wanna state again I have plenty of good Doctor Who to watch, so I'm not too bothered. But it is still poorly thought out, poorly implemented retrojection. If Moffat was at season 5 punching weight I wouldn't mind as much.

I've got some seven audios I wanna listen to but I can't choose between House of Blue Fire and Lurkers at Sunlights Edge. Anyone have opinions on either?

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 9, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

When they do a devoted Lego Doctor Who, they better call in Colin for ten+ hours of voice acting. Plus another 10 for the mellower Post-Trial!Six, and the option to mix either personality with any of the TV, Stage, or Audio coats!

But even if that never happens I'll be buying every set with a Colin Minifig in.

Maybe you should start re-evaluating things, then. :smugsix:

This is going to be your favorite video game ever

Just try not to die, Colin is almost smack dab in the middle

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I've got some seven audios I wanna listen to but I can't choose between House of Blue Fire and Lurkers at Sunlights Edge. Anyone have opinions on either?

Tough call, both have their moments. I lean towards House of Blue Fire just because you'll never look at water or cockroaches in the same way...

Burkion posted:

"Oh, darn it, I've regenerated into Sylvester McCoy!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

This is going to be your favorite video game ever

A dedicated Lego Doctor Who with the proportionate sense of scope and thoroughness that the Complete Lego Star Wars had, plus Steam Workshop support, would be my Favorite Video Game Ever. This... this'll do for now.

quote:

didn't you know? i'm a pro-grade videomaster and speedgamer. support eSports

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 9, 2015

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

You're right that it doesn't matter that much, especially Doctor Who canon. And I wanna state again I have plenty of good Doctor Who to watch, so I'm not too bothered. But it is still poorly thought out, poorly implemented retrojection. If Moffat was at season 5 punching weight I wouldn't mind as much.

House of Blue Fire, in my humble but awesome opinion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thirding Blue Fire. It's fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was honestly surprised Cardiff allowed BF to make Blue Fire, since the basics of the plot is the same as The God Complex. (The Doctor is trapped in a hotel where everyone is forced to face their deepest fears).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Watching "The Twin Dilemma" for the first time. The drop in quality between Androzani and it is INCREDIBLE. And I've only just gotten to the infamous choke-out. How did this happen and why?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Watching "The Twin Dilemma" for the first time. The drop in quality between Androzani and it is INCREDIBLE. And I've only just gotten to the infamous choke-out. How did this happen and why?

It's appalling, it really is. I don't know if it's worse than Time and the Rani but it's pretty close.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Time and the Rani is silly, stupid nonsense, but it's funny pantomime-esque nonsense and it doesn't involve the Doctor choking his companion, so I'd vote for it in that horse race.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Time and the Rani is silly, stupid nonsense, but it's funny pantomime-esque nonsense and it doesn't involve the Doctor choking his companion, so I'd vote for it in that horse race.

Seconded. Time and the Rani is just dumb. This is offensive.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Series 9 starts on September 19th! Just over two months until new Doctor Who!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/619260924650725376

EDIT: And a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8fh4QUy-A

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 9, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I don't check the spoiler thread but is there any word on who Maisie Williams is supposed to be playing? Yeah she's a big name now but that was a lot of screen time for someone who's just going to be a secondary character. Link me if applicable?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What's even worse about the Twin Dilemma is that they chose to make THAT the last episode the season. Davison regenerates, the very next week you get the first Colin Baker story, it's TTD and then everybody had till the next season to stew about the utter shite they'd just seen and fully cement their opinions about Baker before his first season even aired :(

Tomtrek posted:

Series 9 starts on September 19th! Just over two months until new Doctor Who!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/619260924650725376

EDIT: And a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8fh4QUy-A

That closing dialogue :stare:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That trailer is killer. The opening monologue by Capaldi sounds like it has the potential to be one of Twelve's great speeches.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That closing dialogue :stare:

and also (MODERATE TRAILER SPOILER)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

M_Gargantua posted:

So I don't check the spoiler thread but is there any word on who Maisie Williams is supposed to be playing? Yeah she's a big name now but that was a lot of screen time for someone who's just going to be a secondary character. Link me if applicable?

I'm actually going to guess she a regenerated Susan because why the hell not. I don't really have any worse ideas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She's The Master, who will ally with The Doctor to help defeat The Master and The Master.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shes the corsair, he's not dead after all!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That Missy is the Rani fakeout was just to blindside us for when it turns out that Maisie Williams really is the Rani.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Susan, the Master, and the Corsair are really the Rani you say?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jsor posted:

Susan, the Master, and the Corsair are really the Rani you say?

Moffat's done it again!

Finished Twin Dilemma, and it is truly a baffling story. Easily the worst Who story I've encountered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Android Blues posted:

That Missy is the Rani fakeout was just to blindside us for when it turns out that Maisie Williams really is the Rani.

She's probably Kamelion, back from the dead

You know, now that I think about it, killing Kamelion seems like a pretty drastic reaction to the robot being hard/impossible to control... especially since he could shapeshift. Why not just have him take a human form?

• Locked thread