Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Serf posted:

We've been over why the "troll thread false flag" thing is bullshit.
Which was just putting your finger in your ears and shouting.

Please tell me how using your own dev account to troll yourself and then the police confirming you never talked to them when you both claimed to fear your life and previously contacted them is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Please tell me how using your own dev account to troll yourself and then the police confirming you never talked to them when you both claimed to fear your life and previously contacted them is bullshit.

Do you have some evidence that the police actually said she never contacted them?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Ddraig posted:

The Southern Poverty Law Center believe it. They're kind of a big deal with stuff like this, maybe you've heard of them?

They've been dismissed in court when it comes to Hate Watch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Actually it goes from discussing trends in journalism to dismissing it because "Gaming journalism is always bad" to "GG is losing the industry is changing to a result of it!" and when confronted with people disagree or posting evidence otherwise about whether the industry cares or using it dismiss game journalist it goes back to harassment.

No, we tried to discuss it and you literally said that GG wasn't about games journalism and then went back to trying to make attacks on people.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Please tell me how using your own dev account to troll yourself

She didn't do this. This has been brought up multiple times. People posted a picture of her doing this and it was her making a thread for people to troll in with the comment "have at it." You are flogging this despite it already being proven false. Someone on the previous page told you this and you glossed over it and kept going.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 9, 2015

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

NutritiousSnack posted:

They've been dismissed in court when it comes to Hate Watch.

So now you're trying to discredit the SPLC in order to defend gamergate?

Seriously, take a step back and look at what you're doing.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, we tried to discuss it and you literally said that GG wasn't about games journalism and then went back to trying to make attacks on people.

No. You went into how GG complains about Twitter blocklists and sea lioning, then it went from there, which was bound to go back to people because it's a snide way to talk about harassment.

Also nothing I stated went back on "Anti GG and GG are just locked into an internet argument over mild political differences"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

She didn't do this. This has been brought up multiple times. People posted a picture of her doing this and it was her making a thread for people to troll in with the comment "have at it." You are flogging this despite it already being proven false. Someone on the previous page told you this and you glossed over it and kept going.

"Maybe you shouldn't lump all these people together. Don't just buy into these narratives. NOW HAVE I TOLD YOU WHAT A MOTHERFUCKER BRIANNA WU IS?"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The SPLC may have fought the Klan and won on several occasions but they've now come across a tactic they've never encountered before: Saying one thing, while practicing another.

Real headscratcher, that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

No. You went into how GG complains about Twitter blocklists and sea lioning, then it went from there, which was bound to go back to people because it's a snide way to talk about harassment.

Also nothing I stated went back on "Anti GG and GG are just locked into an internet argument over mild political differences"

... You do know this website has a little ? you can click right next to your name, right? I mean you can be willfully dense to try to pretend people said things on twitter or whatever but it takes literally a button click to see what people said in a thread here.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

There is a world of difference between "Brianna Wu made a thread for hate spam to go in on her game's discussion forums" and "Brianna Wu forgot to log into a different account when harassing herself!"

The former is based in reality, the latter is a meme from a previous, far worse thread.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Useful Distraction posted:

SPLC Hate Watch is not used by the FBI and was thrown out of the courts when it was attempted to be used. Saying it's political list when it lists MRAs, Nation of Islam, and FRC along with actual groups like the KKK or neo nazis is far from a controversial statement. A group doing good means poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's inaccurate to say that GGers harass people. It doesn't matter what fraction does it, because GG is still responsible for producing it.

"We merely theorise and confront - we don't harass. It's sad that these people are harassed, but have you considered why they're being harassed. Please refer to this chart-"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

Even with the autoblocker the tags Gamergate has decided to flood have been tough to navigate. They've gotten wise to how it works and have accounts that aren't on it yet.

Do you see gameragate everywhere you go? When you get up in the morning is Gamergate there? When you trip over your shoes is that gamergate? When your lovely car doesn't start, do you curse the name gamergate?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Seriously, take a step back and look at what you're doing.

Oh, that's been a thing almost since the start. The SPLC are part of the SJW feminazi cabal, y'see, and so are automatically discredited no matter what they say. And if you google 'gamergate SPLC' one of the top results is...

With friends like these, who needs enemas? Yes, that is Stormfront, literal Internet Nazi Central, speaking about how there's a jewish conspiracy to censor upright aryan young men who just want to scream obscenities at women, and how they should be brought into the fold.

When your enemies include the SPLC, and your allies include LITERAL NAZIS, you might want to reconsider whether you're the good guys.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 9, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

There is a world of difference between "Brianna Wu made a thread for hate spam to go in on her game's discussion forums" and "Brianna Wu forgot to log into a different account when harassing herself!"

I saw it and the other bullshit she posted. From "confusing" the MDE comedy guy saying Wu tried to snipe him to "It totally was a spam thread", to the police politing saying she lied and never reported threats the idea she has any credibility is hilarious.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

She obviously didn't take his advice.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Do you see gameragate everywhere you go? When you get up in the morning is Gamergate there? When you trip over your shoes is that gamergate? When your lovely car doesn't start, do you curse the name gamergate?

No, but when I look at the GDC 2015 tag and it's full of hentai and gore pics posted by Vivian James avatars yeah I do see Gamergate.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I saw it and the other bullshit she posted. From "confusing" the MDE comedy guy saying Wu tried to snipe him to "It totally was a spam thread", to the police politing saying she lied and never reported threats the idea she has any credibility is hilarious.

Again I ask:

Serf posted:

Do you have some evidence that the police actually said she never contacted them?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Yes, that is Stormfront, literal Internet Nazi Central, speaking about how there's a jewish conspiracy to censor upright aryan young men who just want to scream obscenities at women, and how they should be brought into the fold.

Hitler liked sugar.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

NutritiousSnack posted:

SPLC Hate Watch is not used by the FBI and was thrown out of the courts when it was attempted to be used. Saying it's political list when it lists MRAs, Nation of Islam, and FRC along with actual groups like the KKK or neo nazis is far from a controversial statement. A group doing good means poo poo.

What on earth are you even talking about anymore

"SPLC Hate Watch is not used by the FBI" seriously this is loving meaningless to anyone not already familiar with whatever insane websites you got this talking point from. Who cares that the "SPLC Hate Watch is not used by the FBI," what does it matter to anyone? How does it disprove or invalidate the SPLC's stance on gamergate? What does it have to do with ethics in gaming journalism?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Brianna Wu is a motherfucker."

"We hate Brianna Wu because she is a motherfucker."

"That is not true. I don't know where you got that."

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

NutritiousSnack posted:

Serf posted:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's inaccurate to say that GGers harass people. It doesn't matter what fraction does it, because GG is still responsible for producing it.

So when Abe and Weird Twitter people harassed that kid who thought in special circumstances that rape jokes are funny, sexually harassed him mind you as well as doxx, all of feminism was to blame?

For people picking apart "pro" GG arguments, I'm seeing a poo poo ton of it here.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

This is why no one takes self-proclaimed GamerGate "neutrals" at their word. They repeat every GG party line as gospel, never substantiate any claims made this way, and then immediately fall back on "I make fun of both sides, honest!" when called on their interminable bullshit.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NutritiousSnack posted:

So when Abe and Weird Twitter people harassed that kid who thought in special circumstances that rape jokes are funny, sexually harassed him mind you as well as doxx, all of feminism was to blame?

For people picking apart "pro" GG arguments, I'm seeing a poo poo ton of it here.

I'm not aware of the situation you're referring to. Is it perhaps on par or worse than the time the evil harpy queen mounted an assault on the wizards?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

No, All of feminism is not responsible for that.

All of GG is responsible because GG is collectively obsessed with combing over the lives of e-people for any and all slights, perceived or imagined.

Do you know all of those SA mock threads about weird people on the internet? How they ended up becoming creepy stalking exercises?

GG is that, but without even the pretence of humour.

e:

Plom Bar posted:

This is why no one takes self-proclaimed GamerGate "neutrals" at their word. They repeat every GG party line as gospel, never substantiate any claims made this way, and then immediately fall back on "I make fun of both sides, honest!" when called on their interminable bullshit.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2015/05/gamergate-in-columbus-threat-reports-initially.html?ana=twt

To quote Popehat and an evil Breithart writer,

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/05/23/ohio-attorney-brianna-wu-wasted-time-and-resources-over-gamergate/

quote:

A police report or investigation as to Brianna Wu has not been filed or referred to this office. That is the normal method to report a crime, cause an investigation or seek a prosecution. Brianna Wu has had no contact with anyone in this office or the cyber stalking unit of the city prosecutors office. Brianna Wu has not provided any evidence to this office, including any tapes of phone calls allegedly received. Brianna Wu stated online that the alleged caller could be identified if a subpoena was merely issued yet a cell, landline or phone number is not in possession of this office for that purpose; and the proper method to accomplish that is through law enforcement not online posts.

The local FBI office has referred nothing to this office regarding Wu nor contacted us indicating they intend to do so. For unknown reasons Brianna Wu chose to post something online regarding such threats stating they came from Columbus and it was within our authority. Yet she has never had contact of any kind or nature with this office. As a result, this office received a number of emails and phone calls that wasted time and resources to respond to concerned persons who apparently observed these postings.

She outright lied.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

In my experience every person who says they are a Gamergate "neutral" is really just a GGer but wants to distance themselves from the hashtag while still engaging in their bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that in this thread. Almost every person taking the pro-GG standpoint has done the "I'm no really a GGer, just a neutral outsider" standpoint and then began repeating obviously canned party lines over and over to the point of confusing their own arguments at points.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
"It's not so far fetched to see a future where GamerGate (or one of its intellectual descendants, for you gaming-ethics purists) coalesces into a full fledged political movement with parliamentary seats in all manner of Western democracies."

:madmax:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Alright, you are either with us or against us in the twitter wars.

Weirdo posted:

"It's not so far fetched to see a future where GamerGate (or one of its intellectual descendants, for you gaming-ethics purists) coalesces into a full fledged political movement with parliamentary seats in all manner of Western democracies."

The quote from the attorney general is bad and mean, and I'll ignore it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

Wu told me her staff had filed a complaint with authorities in Ohio, but it appears it went to the wrong agency. She successfully reached the intake desk at the office of Columbus City Attorney Rick Pfeiffer on Friday and submitted her evidence.

You should actually read these things sometimes.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

NutritiousSnack posted:

Seriously, what are you even on about

You're not debating or discussing anything, just throwing out all sorts of absurd, unsourced and presumably baseless accusations at any person, organization or group who disagrees with you. Your posts are borderline incoherent "steel beams can't google Ron Paul" poo poo. I somewhat doubt you even know what point you yourself are arguing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Beat me to it. But nah, reading would destroy the narrative here. "Brianna Wu is a horrible person who deserved getting death threats for posting dumb memes on her Twitter. Here, let me show you why she had it coming."

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

No, All of feminism is not responsible for that.

All of GG is responsible because GG is collectively obsessed with combing over the lives of e-people for any and all slights,
Please prove that all of GG is in a way that excludes feminist groups without a lot weird double standards and arguments relating over pedantic definition of words.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Seriously, what are you even on about

You're not debating or discussing anything, just throwing out all sorts of absurd, unsourced and presumably baseless accusations at any person, organization or group who disagrees with you. Your posts are borderline incoherent "steel beams can't google Ron Paul" poo poo. I somewhat doubt you even know what point you yourself are arguing.

Everything he said in the post actually happened

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Weirdo posted:

probably not but I can see it as a future outlet for modern conservatives who are smart enough to play the game and not sound like a hukabee/trump in public to get votes from younger people. or it will just end up being more /pol/ stuff.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

I did. Her doing so at a much later date doesn't change that fact she lied about contacting police.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

Please prove that all of GG is in a way that excludes feminist groups without a lot weird double standards and arguments relating over pedantic definition of words.

GG's genesis is rooted in harassment of women. Literally the very first tweet under the GamerGate hashtag was a video slandering her for false allegations about her sex life. That's where it all began. Any underlying ideology co-opted afterwards does not alter this very fundamental truth about GamerGate's origins. Everyone who jumped on board did so under a banner whose beginnings were "hey, look at this evil female sexhaver, let's get her!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NutritiousSnack posted:

Now you're just changing your own argument. Feminist groups can engage in this sort of behaviour. "All of feminism" does not engage in this sort of behaviour. There strains of liberal feminism that engage in this behaviour, but it is strains, not feminism collectively.

GG collectively participates in this sort of paranoiac stalking behaviour. Their political stance amounts to "gently caress those people". That is why liberal feminists are redeemable, but GGers are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

I did. Her doing so at a much later date doesn't change that fact she lied about contacting police.

quote:

Law enforcement overall is failing her, Wu said. She’s pleaded with local authorities, the FBI and Department of Homeland Security, but no one has ever been charged. In April, the FBI said it couldn’t use evidence she’d been sending agents for months unless it was transferred to a hard drive. When she did so and mailed it, agents returned it without comment.

whoa look at that you're still full of poo poo

Her mistake here, if you actually read the article, was naming the wrong party responsible for inaction/lack of response. She absolutely was in contact with authorities far prior to this incident. Your own source confirms this.

• Locked thread