Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think that translated to text as well as I was hoping it would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I started from the beginning of Gintama many years ago when I watched it, and while it can be uneven it still holds a special place in my heart, since I binged through it while recovering from surgery.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Is that because the Dutch think the Indonesian trade was more important?

there is a lot on that from the time on indonesia, but a severe lack of (good, non-fluffy) modern works imo. most of our other colonial stuff gets really neglected as well. even more modern dutch-indonesian and other former-colonial relations don't have much out there, a friend of mine was writing his thesis on the contribution of our south-american 'colonies' during world war 2 and he found like 1 other guy who had ever written anything approaching that. to be honest, in the case of japan-dutch relations i just think it's been largely forgotten by history, it wasn't that big a deal for us in comparison to other efforts at the time anyway. fwiw it never appeared in any of the school texts i remember reading

there's some cool texts from the era though. i read one by christiaan snouck hurgronje who spends the entirety of his diary complaining about how poo poo the local authorities are at dealing with the muslim population in indonesia in ways familiar to anyone keeping up with the news. and of course a lot of indos brought their experiences and history here, although their local traditions are mostly dying out and have been absorbed into the general dutch culture. there is also the problem that the indonesian archivists loathe dutch historians and routinely refuse access to any of the archives left behind when we packed up, making it somewhat hard to write anything in depth

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

there is a lot on that from the time on indonesia, but a severe lack of (good, non-fluffy) modern works imo. most of our other colonial stuff gets really neglected as well. even more modern dutch-indonesian and other former-colonial relations don't have much out there, a friend of mine was writing his thesis on the contribution of our south-american 'colonies' during world war 2 and he found like 1 other guy who had ever written anything approaching that. to be honest, in the case of japan-dutch relations i just think it's been largely forgotten by history, it wasn't that big a deal for us in comparison to other efforts at the time anyway. fwiw it never appeared in any of the school texts i remember reading

there's some cool texts from the era though. i read one by christiaan snouck hurgronje who spends the entirety of his diary complaining about how poo poo the local authorities are at dealing with the muslim population in indonesia in ways familiar to anyone keeping up with the news. and of course a lot of indos brought their experiences and history here, although their local traditions are mostly dying out and have been absorbed into the general dutch culture. there is also the problem that the indonesian archivists loathe dutch historians and routinely refuse access to any of the archives left behind when we packed up, making it somewhat hard to write anything in depth

That's weird. In my history books, we heard about the Dutch/Japan trade in the context of "all of these Europeans were scrambling to trade with Asian countries," so it was there with the British in India and the carving up of China. We got nothing about the Dutch in Indonesia though lol

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is Mikakunin de Shinkoukei actually a good show to watch or is it only good in gif form

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sounds like the Dutch were more important to Japan than the other way around.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I like how the US release changed the name from one Japanese name to another.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Is Mikakunin de Shinkoukei actually a good show to watch or is it only good in gif form

It was okay, I didn't bother watching the whole thing though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

That's weird. In my history books, we heard about the Dutch/Japan trade in the context of "all of these Europeans were scrambling to trade with Asian countries," so it was there with the British in India and the carving up of China. We got nothing about the Dutch in Indonesia though lol

everything colonial kinda gets thrown under the VOC/WIC bus of something to be proud of because of entrepreneurship, golden age, we had art!!! and then they mostly ignore the bad stuff except for a melodramatic its so sad story for general education. all the school kids gotta memorize every single spice they ever brought to europe though and how we totally owned the spanish

T.G. Xarbala posted:

yup. we had way more colonies and trade to care about and it helps that those have a significant population still living here.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I did a lot of research on the cultural exchange between Victorian England and (Pre-)Meiji Japan and was tickled to learn that apparently a lot of Dutch texts lent to the Rangaku deliberately downplayed England's role in the Western sphere because more than a few Dutch merchants considered England their biggest competitor and didn't want Japan getting interested.

"So who are these English guys."

"Nobodies from nowhere who do nothing and have nothing. They're dumb. Forget about them."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

During the Tokugawa policy of Sakoku, the Dutch provided them a window to view and research the goings-on in the Western world. It was pretty important.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Though I guess I shouldn't use the term Sakoku since they didn't. That was invented later.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well, they weren't wrong about the english

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

"Nobodies from nowhere who do nothing and have nothing. They're dumb. Forget about them."

They were right

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am going to make time to watch Gintama

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Seafood posted:

I did a lot of research on the cultural exchange between Victorian England and (Pre-)Meiji Japan and was tickled to learn that apparently a lot of Dutch texts lent to the Rangaku deliberately downplayed England's role in the Western sphere because more than a few Dutch merchants considered England their biggest competitor and didn't want Japan getting interested.

During the Tokugawa policy of Sakoku, the Dutch provided them a window to view and research the goings-on in the Western world. It was pretty important.

In the Edo period, there was a field of studies called Rangaku. It literally means Dutch Studies. There were people who did nothing but learn about the Dutch all day because that's where all the new scientific, medical and agricultural knowledge. This changed after Perry opened up Japan. There were samurai getting sent all over the world (mainly the US) to learn about everything Western.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FUN FACT: Fukoku kyohei, one of the many mottos of the Meiji Revolution/Restoration which roughly translates as "Prosperous nation, strong military," was first used by some samurai touring England to describe how they felt when first pulling into to the London shipyards.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

In the Edo period, there was a field of studies called Rangaku. It literally means Dutch Studies. There were people who did nothing but learn about the Dutch all day because that's where all the new scientific, medical and agricultural knowledge. This changed after Perry opened up Japan. There were samurai getting sent all over the world (mainly the US) to learn about everything Western.
Yep.

There's actually kind of moving a passage from one of their diaries written from a ship moored in Hong Kong (or Shanghai, I forget which city specifically) overnight. The British had strung the whole town with gas lamps, creating what one dude described as "A city illuminated by fireflies."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In my history textbooks we were told "The Dutch weren't as bad as the British and Spanish, and holy poo poo they made a lot of money"

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I recently started reading If on a winter's night a traveler in Italian. I meant to pick up one of his short story collections but I was in a hurry at the train station so I have this complicated postmodern thing instead.I don't know Italian but I spent some time over there recently and I have a lovely dictionary app on my phone. So far I've read a page and a bit but it's a lot of fun. It reminds me of trying to read Finnegans Wake but easier.
I'm also gonna try reviving the corpse of the French knowledge from my first year of high school so I can pick up hard copies of Ultra Heaven. (also all that sexy french lit)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

In my history textbooks we were told "The Dutch weren't as bad as the British and Spanish, and holy poo poo they made a lot of money"
That much is probably true.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

we were bad, badass

also just bad really. whenever other countries came to observe how we struck down colonial revolts they made sure to note we were brutal in comparison to them

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

we were bad, badass

also just bad really. whenever other countries came to observe how we struck down colonial revolts they made sure to note we were brutal in comparison to them

at least you're not as bad as the Belgians

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

not that that was particularly hard

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i doubt theres english translations, but many of those involved in the indonesian war sof independence wrote memorials that are a fun read. make the french and americans in vietnam seem like nice guys

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I am going to make time to watch Gintama

Good

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i didn't know there were ever any actual samurai in america, and why aren't there more stories about that? that sounds cool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Probably just thought they were wealthy foreigners looking to invest or something. I can't imagine post-Meiji samurai would be distinguishable from the upper class of the west besides ethnically.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

"Hmmm, I made a shitload of cash exploiting all those brown people. I should probably handle these dividends wisely."

*commissions a solid gold replica of his own butt*

-some dutch guy

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Japan gave us Neon Genesis Evangelion so this is the opposite of true

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
And now for something completely different: Mushishi season 1.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

is really good animay, and so is season 2.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Probably just thought they were wealthy foreigners looking to invest or something. I can't imagine post-Meiji samurai would be distinguishable from the upper class of the west besides ethnically.

No, they were very conspicuous. They got ticker tape parades in New York City and Washington, DC.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jostiband posted:

I still haven't watched season 2 because I can't get over the fact that Travis Willingham isn't Ginko anymore. :sigh:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jostiband posted:

I've already watched season 2, just never got around to the first one until now.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

T.G. Xarbala posted:

oh yeah i guess i was thinking of like sengoku period dudes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

No, they were very conspicuous. They got ticker tape parades in New York City and Washington, DC.

Guess I was mistaken, that's pretty neat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Paper Triangle posted:

i didn't know there were ever any actual samurai in america, and why aren't there more stories about that? that sounds cool.
There were actually quite a few, including Nitobe Inazo who converted to Christianity and proceeded to write a lot about Bushido trying to link it with Western concepts of Chivalry.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Paper Triangle posted:

oh yeah i guess i was thinking of like sengoku period dudes.

just a bit later but
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Looks like Ga-tcha-MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN Crowds is up next on my To Watch list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finally got around to finishing Shirobako and yeah it's really great. Best ep was easily the second to last. Would gladly watch another season even if it were just retreading the same ground. Maybe a season with a greater focus on Zuka's side of things?

• Locked thread