Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also, season 2 of Review looks AMAZING:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQcU951zATU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was even more glorious than I could have hoped for. Oh my god.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

That was even more glorious than I could have hoped for. Oh my god.

I've still not finished the first season. Once they went to space I stopped having any interest in the show.

However I can't wait for Nathan For You to come back.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Holy loving poo poo, Jordskott is an insanely good series and I'm really glad I noticed it starting on Finnish TV. Swedish crime drama/horror about mysterious child disappearances in a small town in Sweden.

Thanks for this. Just watched the first episode and really liked it. Scandinoir crossed with X Files and Small Town Weird. It's ticking a lot of boxes for me. Looks gorgeous too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Irish need not post

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

I've still not finished the first season. Once they went to space I stopped having any interest in the show.

come on, man, i'm like the only one who ever stands up for you

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

7 DAYS IN HELL, the tennis spoof with Andy Samberg and Kit Harrington, is up on HBO GO and HBO NOW, days ahead of its premiere. Apparently it's loving hysterical. I'm about to find out for myself.

So what's the trip report?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Irish Joe posted:

I know this isn't D&D, so I won't go on at length, but you can tell white privilege is BS because, while you have plenty of anecdotal "examples" of white privilege working against people, there isn't a single example (anecdotal or otherwise) of white privilege benefiting someone. In fact, there are hundreds of examples of more qualified white people getting turned down for jobs or having their applications rejected for less qualified minority candidates because a business/college is looking to fulfill a racial quota.

maybe someday, a white man will be elected president of these united states. unntil then, well just have to dream

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xcore posted:

So what's the trip report?

It's loving demented and beautiful, that's the trip report.

That's honestly all I'm at liberty to say. You have to watch this thing.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I went from having nothing live to watch to having four shows: Mr Robot, Hannibal, Rectify and True Detective. Not bad for summer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I honestly have more poo poo to watch in the summer than fall.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched the pilot of Humans and this is what we hoped Almost Human would be. I'm hooked!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:catstare: Almost Human is brilliant

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Almost Human was a garbage procedural that did nothing with its premise and only got the mildest of praise online because of residual goodwill from Dredd and the continuing weird trend of supporting sci-fi shows on Fox out of spite because of Firefly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nothing to do with a great buddy cop team and the sci-fi element with great fx. and....best of all it was filmed during daylight hours.

I stand by my hyperbole.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Almost Human was a garbage procedural that did nothing with its premise and only got the mildest of praise online because of residual goodwill from Dredd and the continuing weird trend of supporting sci-fi shows on Fox out of spite because of Firefly.

To be fair a lot of people don't mind procedurals as long as there's a fun throughline to it and I think the fans felt the patter between the two leads was that. But yes also it got overhyped to poo poo, largely probably because people really wanted a show with Karl Urban to do well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was maybe 5 minutes of good patter per episode when they were driving around. The rest was lovely.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

There was maybe 5 minutes of good patter per episode when they were driving around. The rest was lovely.

Almost Human was the result of someone saying "What if Blade Runner met Firefly?" and didn't think past that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Almost Human was "overhyped to poo poo"? What? I think the only opinions I consistently saw about that show were thoroughly lukewarm, with the more optimistic ones thinking that it had potential.

Also their problem was that they actually did think of a throughline/longterm plot, but thought they could get away with just having a few bits of it in the first run of episodes. It didn't help that Fox switched some episodes around so that some background stuff got a bit more disjointed, but ultimately that probably didn't hurt the show as much as just not having a super strong early hook did. For what it's worth I think the show at least dealt with some neat near-future concepts, at least for a buddy cop procedural on Fox, and Urban+Ealy made for a pretty great leading duo. Boy does Minka Kelly just suck all the energy out of a room/scene though.

VDay fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 10, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I totally had potential, but they went with a criminal of the week format with hints of a serialzed arc here and there. There's no reason why they couldn't have kept the ____-of the week format and gone a little bit heavier with the grander mystery/robot conspiracy. Especially with regards to what was outside the city walls.

A lot of people just got tired of "Human cop and his android pal drive around, solving mysteries" spiel. There was potential for a richer universe full of interesting characters, but the show was so expensive to produce, there's only so much they could do every week. It's partially the writers' fault, and it's partially Fox's fault.

I went to the Karl Urban panel at the Phoenix Comicon in May, and he said he had a blast making the show, had input with the director, and everyone enjoyed working on the set each week, and in the total scheme of things, he said that when he got the call from his agent, he wasn't totally surprised that the show got cancelled, because even he agreed that the show was just too drat expensive, and if it had been rewnewed somehow for multiple seasons, the show would've just continued to get more expensive as they branched out.

Fox network executives are notorious for panicking if a new show doesn't continuously get incredible ratings, across the board, right out of the gate, so they did what they have a history of doing and pulled the plug on a show that could've been great, if given the chance. The only way new shows sometime get a grace period at Fox, despite mediocre or bad ratings, is if the show is critically praised.

VDay posted:

Boy does Minka Kelly just suck all the energy out of a room/scene though.

Oh my god, yes. She's certainly not the most terrible actress of all time, but she was/is a charisma black hole, especially in her role on that show. I never saw Friday Night Lights, so I can't really comment on her performance on that show, but I can't imagine it being any better than what she did on Almost Human.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 10, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Gonz posted:

I never saw Friday Night Lights

You should go fix that right now

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

less laughter posted:

You should go fix that right now

So i've been told. I'm currently in the process of catching up with the likes of Arrow/The Flash, but i'll make it a point to watch the entirety of FNL sometime in the future.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FNL is great but I didn't like the pilot episode and I disliked some of the stuff in season 2. Still a great show overall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I ended up adoring FNL but god drat that visual style almost made me turn it off after 5 minutes. And the pilot is, to me, overall good but the issue is that they have to (not really spoilers but being careful for Gonz) set up this very cliched story in order to totally pull the rug out from under you towards the end, so most of it ends up quite dull.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
any time you see downtown in FNL, that's where I grew up

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Anyone that likes FNL really needs to watch On Freddie Roach. It has the same style of filmmaking and hits the same emotional beats despite being a documentary series, plus its short. Berg's best work I think, and criminally underrated.

7 Days In Hell is this year's FNL though. As many tears as the Daddy episode, plus more dick than you would imagine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was kind of surprised when I saw that 7 Days in Hell is 42 minutes long. That seems like an odd length.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

muscles like this? posted:

I was kind of surprised when I saw that 7 Days in Hell is 42 minutes long. That seems like an odd length.

6 minutes per day

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bown posted:

Yeah I ended up adoring FNL but god drat that visual style almost made me turn it off after 5 minutes. And the pilot is, to me, overall good but the issue is that they have to (not really spoilers but being careful for Gonz) set up this very cliched story in order to totally pull the rug out from under you towards the end, so most of it ends up quite dull.

My friend and I both grew up watching Early Edition, and every time I tried to watch FNL he walk into the room loudly saying "Holy poo poo, this is tomorrow's paper!"

Eventually he realized the show was more then some WB show geared towards fans of Varsity Blues and stopped mocking me, but he had a point. The show didn't start out great and it took awhile to get there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Hoz2ZHYZM

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I miss Ravane.

Where'chu at buddy?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rocksicles posted:

I miss Ravane.

Where'chu at buddy?

Shut up, no you don't.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a ravane shaped hole in my internetz

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Then go find him, and wherever he is, stay there with him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gonz posted:

I totally had potential, but they went with a criminal of the week format with hints of a serialzed arc here and there. There's no reason why they couldn't have kept the ____-of the week format and gone a little bit heavier with the grander mystery/robot conspiracy. Especially with regards to what was outside the city walls.

If we're being honest, over-the-wall probably wouldn't have turned out nearly as good as we hoped it would, but I'm a little surprised to see so much hostility for a half season show that never had a weirdo fanbase shouting about it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Then go find him, and wherever he is, stay there with him.

Sure thing boss.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

pentyne posted:

My friend and I both grew up watching Early Edition, and every time I tried to watch FNL he walk into the room loudly saying "Holy poo poo, this is tomorrow's paper!"

Eventually he realized the show was more then some WB show geared towards fans of Varsity Blues and stopped mocking me, but he had a point. The show didn't start out great and it took awhile to get there.

Make him watch Bloodline

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A good frontpage article.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched the pilot of Humans and this is what we hoped Almost Human would be. I'm hooked!

Is there a thread for this show? You've made me curious but the wiki pretty much just says "Near future with androids!" and I'd like more information on what the show is actually about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

Is there a thread for this show? You've made me curious but the wiki pretty much just says "Near future with androids!" and I'd like more information on what the show is actually about.

For Humans so far the androids are all basically Asimov style, with the exception of half a dozen or so who have varying levels of sentience that the authorities are trying to ferret out in hopes of staving off the singularity.

• Locked thread