Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

JT Jag posted:

They could probably find a way to bump him if he's not in the top 5, but if he keeps polling as well as he has they'll have to carry him.

That's really risky for them. If Trump's not in the debates because he's legitimately not popular enough, they can hope his campaign will just sputter out.

If he's in the debates due to his popularity, that'll suck but they've at least got the hope that he's going to self-immolate without taking out too many viable candidates in the process.

If he's not in the debates in spite of his popularity, he will not shut up about it. Ever.

Everything from that point forward will be about him scaring the GOP establishment and them conspiring to keep him out of the race because they're afraid of him. Maybe not for the reasons he'd like to think but it's something he can use to stir resentment against them, blame any of his failures on someone else, and justify a third party run no matter how delusional.

He won't care if he's only 6% in national polls because it just proves him right about the establishment being out to get him. For the GOP, that's an unmitigated disaster because they can't win with a 6% deficit. He doesn't directly affect downticket races, but someone voting for him as a protest against the GOP is less likely to vote Republican for everything else. Not all of them but that's scant consolation for someone in a race hanging on a knife's edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Seriously though they just change the house to PR voting, along with massively increasing the number of seats

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You will very likely enjoy this speech by South Carolina State Representative Joseph Neal (D-Richmond)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ty-Osm41M

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Supraluminal posted:

Does JavaScript support this syntax?

code:
(HR5_passage) and {document.write('Learn to Code!');}
That's my favorite way to do super-basic if statements in PHP.

no, and why would you admit to inflicting this on the world?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The merest possibility of a Trump/Palin ticket for 2016 is leaving me impossibly full of glee. :regd08:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Shortest Path posted:

The merest possibility of a Trump/Palin ticket for 2016 is leaving me impossibly full of glee. :regd08:
I honestly can't think of a single presidential ticket that would be more toxic in a General Election.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

imagining them actually being elected fills me with the deepest dread i have ever felt

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I only want that to hit the general because it will be the most hilarious trainwreck in the world to watch, and I have complete faith that there is zero chance whatsoever that they'd win.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

You will very likely enjoy this speech by South Carolina State Representative Joseph Neal (D-Richmond)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ty-Osm41M

Thanks for posting this. The part in the middle where he explains what happened when his family was brought over and split hit me pretty hard.

Jenny Horne's was something else, too. :unsmith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JT Jag posted:

I honestly can't think of a single presidential ticket that would be more toxic in a General Election.

Zombie Hitler/The Biblical Satan

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'd vote for Satan

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

I'd vote for Satan
Biblical Phaeroh then

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
actual jesus would probably do pretty terrible in an American political election.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I still say we should run Nixon's corpse. The Constitution never said the president had to be alive when he was elected only what to do if he dies in office. The rest of the world would be so terrified of pissing off The Insane States of America we could do whatever we wanted.

See, not only did we put a dead body in charge we picked the worst one we could find.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Stereotype posted:

actual jesus would probably do pretty terrible in an American political election.
His vow that he will just make poo poo out of thin air would sound like so many campaign promises

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Stereotype posted:

The whole "water into wine" thing wouldn't win him any points in California, I can tell you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stereotype posted:

The Democrats would take one look at his "Give away everything you own to help the needy" platform and run away screaming. The Republicans would expire on the spot from a stroke.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Pat Buchanan has a WND Op/Ed in which he likens civil disobedience with respect to treating gay people as equals and removing Ten Commandments monuments to that of MLK.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So 6,000 people in the House? How, pray tell, do you actually manage that?

Look at how China does it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I only want that to hit the general because it will be the most hilarious trainwreck in the world to watch, and I have complete faith that there is zero chance whatsoever that they'd win.

I would have to vote for them. The lure would be too strong.

Also, this talk of stupid numbers for the house is stupid. If we're going to rework the system, don't cap it at all.

Every election, every candidate anywhere in the country that gets at least 50,000 votes gets to sit in the house. Furthermore, these legislators get 1 vote for every single vote they collected.

Let every person have the best incentive to well and truly vote for the person who they think will best represent them in the House of Representatives, and let every Representative have power directly in relation to their support.

I honestly don't see how "put a whole lot more people in the House" as the be all and end all of a major strategy is supposed to lead to better governance.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

I didn't take you for someone who advocated a rubber stamp "legislature" to approve the actions of the all-powerful executive.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Counterpoint: Name one authoritarian single-party state where the legislature was worth anything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Rampant corruption? OK, I'm in.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GlyphGryph posted:

I would have to vote for them. The lure would be too strong.

Also, this talk of stupid numbers for the house is stupid. If we're going to rework the system, don't cap it at all.

Every election, every candidate anywhere in the country that gets at least 50,000 votes gets to sit in the house. Furthermore, these legislators get 1 vote for every single vote they collected.

Let every person have the best incentive to well and truly vote for the person who they think will best represent them in the House of Representatives, and let every Representative have power directly in relation to their support.

I honestly don't see how "put a whole lot more people in the House" as the be all and end all of a major strategy is supposed to lead to better governance.

This seems like you'd have to make it illegal to advertise in any way, lest someone just hire a skywriting plane to write "VOTE FOR ROBERTA" and let name recognition do its thing on Election Day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GlyphGryph posted:

The larger the amount of seats that are up, the smaller the electoral districts must be. The smaller they must be, the way harder it gets to gerrymander away your opponent's natural majority just because you managed to snag the statehouse for a cycle.

Texas, for example, would have a much harder time gerrymandering away Democratic voters if we say expanded the size of the house to 7x, leading to them having to have 252 reps and districts.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I still say we should run Nixon's corpse. The Constitution never said the president had to be alive when he was elected only what to do if he dies in office. The rest of the world would be so terrified of pissing off The Insane States of America we could do whatever we wanted.

See, not only did we put a dead body in charge we picked the worst one we could find.

Actually, he'd be perfect. See: Mad Man Theory

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

The larger the amount of seats that are up, the smaller the electoral districts must be. The smaller they must be, the way harder it gets to gerrymander away your opponent's natural majority just because you managed to snag the statehouse for a cycle.

Texas, for example, would have a much harder time gerrymandering away Democratic voters if we say expanded the size of the house to 7x, leading to them having to have 252 reps and districts.

Pffft, 251 are districts with one guy that always votes R. The rest of the state is in #252. Problem solved!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pffft, 251 are districts with one guy that always votes R. The rest of the state is in #252. Problem solved!

This was actually legal until 1964.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I think that fixing congress to one congressman to every 200,000 people would be alright. 1,500 representatives is a ton, but not outright ridiculous. Hell, I'd be ok with stretching it to 250.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Congress should just go online only. Have 10,000 representatives debate on a forum. It would be named Something Lawful.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

dpbjinc posted:

Congress should just go online only. Have 10,000 representatives debate on a forum. It would be named Something Lawful.

It'd look like bizarro LF. edit: also like actual LF.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"And for those who, when young, rejected the views, values and laws of Eisenhower’s America, what makes them think that dissenting Americans in this post-Christian and anti-Christian era will accept their laws, beliefs, values?"

"And Why Should They?" - Pat Buchanan referring to people after the year 2015 restoring Eisenhower's America.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just demolish the Capitol building and make the Verizon Center the new statehouse. Problem solved.

Bonus: All the idiots in congress get to eat an Ovechkin slapshot to the face as punishment for screwing up

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
I still like the concept of the negative vote. For each race you can either vote for or against someone.

If you vote against you cancel out one of their positive votes. If everyone ends up negative then no-one wins and you have a do over until someone polls positive.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
The New Hampshire lower house has 400 members, which is about one rep for every 3,000 people. This helps neo-Nazis, libertarians, and other assorted crazies win a seat in the legislature. It doesn't seem to help with good governance compared to other states.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Anyone have a good article handy on the history of the Confederate flag being used as a racist symbol for the last few decades? Bonus points if it gives some concrete details on SC raising theirs in response to the Civil Rights Movement. Trying through Google and not getting much beyonds random blogs and articles whose links don't seem to go to actual sources.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Bag of Milk posted:

This helps neo-Nazis, libertarians, and other assorted crazies win a seat in the legislature.

And this is different from the status quo...?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I won't lie, I had that in mind when I revised my estimate of his ceiling from 20 to 25. I'm knocking off 2 for Trump because he's Donald Trump.

Also courtesy of the primaries thread, here's Fox's one weird trick to exclude Trump from the debate.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 10, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Amergin posted:

The Economist mentioned that Trump's rhetoric could be quite effective with the racist white anti-RINO folks in the party.

Bonus pic from the article:

EDIT:

Trump's recent successes in the polls were also mentioned in the Economist article as evidence of his rhetoric's effectiveness.

He's never actually held public office for anything, right?

Could he conceivably have cachet with the Small Government™ crowd for having "never been bought by the lobbyists"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

computer parts posted:

And this is different from the status quo...?

Not significantly, but it's certainly not any better. I'm pretty unconvinced that increasing the size of the House would have a meaningful impact on policy. I'm not aware of any known correlations between per capita legislature/parliament sizes and quality of legislation.

• Locked thread