Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Eminent Domain posted:

Yeah, the old days of absolute required positionals for DRG went out the window a while back so even if you miss the positional your entire combo doesn't fall apart. You do however miss out on the increased potency so don't miss your positionals. :v:

My quick rule for Geirskogul use is to use it when I have about 21 seconds left on BotD. Obviously you can cut this down if you're in the middle of the Full Thrust or Chaos Thrust combo but beyond that it's worked fairly well for me. Some mechanics heavy fights you won't get it off as much but it isn't too difficult to weave in there. If BotD's off CD you can also just fire the Geirskogul while giving no fucks and just bring BotD back up a second later.

But seriously use Geirskogul. It doesn't even require the minimal amount of aiming as Doom Spike, thing's a giant loving cannon.

You must have a lot of skill speed if you can hit it at 21 seconds; 22 is pretty tight and will be wrecked by a lag spike or dodging a mechanic in my experience.

That said, there's generally no reason to hit it with that small of a buffer--even on a training dummy, you can't fit in more than 2 geirskoguls per BotD cooldown, and you get that same number whether you use it as soon as possible or wait an extra combo. Between that and mechanics that exist to ruin your day (quarantine), I don't like pressing it below 24 seconds unless BotD is off cooldown and I know the boss isn't about to go invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't like pressing it below 24 seconds unless BotD is off cooldown and I know the boss isn't about to go invincible.

This is like the most sensible statement about dpsing. Dosen't matter how good a rotation you theorycraft up and memorize if you cant stop, pause, and reset it when you need to or when you should.

"I got a mad opener"
"What happens 5 mins in the fight when your opener was only for 20s"

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I'm in a mix of dungeon and law gear right now and almost every piece is packing skill speed. I think I'm around 640ish or so, once I get more gear sets (like Alex and such) I want to play around with the numbers and see how it all works out.

24's a lot safer as you said, 21~22's just been the absolute minimum that I'll pop it instead of just going "nah" and waiting until I finish another combo sequence to raise the duration back up. There's been times where I've had egg on my face due to boss mechanics. As you get used to bosses you kind of learn when you can get away with it, similar to having to learn when it was safe to risk the jumps' animation lock for trials.

edit: ^^^ yeah, you have to be able to adjust for what's going on in the fight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ah I thought the DRG 4th attacks only gave extra BotD duration if you nailed the positional. My bad.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Nin is by far the most whatever just push buttons dps right now. It already was before but now even more so.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

KoB posted:

Is anyone here playing on Windows 10? Does it work ok?

Yes, works fine.

However, if anything is going to screw you over with Win10 it's not going to be the game not being compatible because that will have been tested to hell and back. What might screw you over is a broken driver for some component of your specific machine. I've run 10 for a few months with minimal issues. People with Creative sound cards haven't necessarily, since apparently those drivers have been kinda poo poo for some cards. It's pretty low risk with release this close, but pretty much the only way to see if all your stuff works is upgrade and see if anything breaks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One really odd thing about win10 when I tried it is that the launcher stubbornly refused to remember my user ID. No idea if they've fixed that (whoever "they" are in this case).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

I have seen that alot you cast fire 1 before AF wears off, you lose AF during fireball flight, and gain it back when it hits the target. I perfer doing 3 f4 with a firestarter proc because you can just start casting again right after you come off the gcd.

The basic combo isn't hard to do at all, Neverreap is my favorite ex roulette to do now too.

I wonder if how far you are from the target affects this because of travel time. I'm assuming it doesn't make too much of a difference, though being closer to bosses can be nice anyway because it makes dodging cone AoEs easier.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Since I have a bad history of not playing jobs correctly, I'd like to try and get some sort of clarity on what I'm to do with the new Ninja jobs.

Controlling enmity hasn't really been a big thing thus far, but now I have a Smoke Bomb enmity reducing buff and some sort of alternative to Shade Shift that also affects enmity? Am I to be buffing people now while I run my rotations, or does the level 58/60 skills form a complete combo that makes more sense? What should I be doing with these new abilities?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

vOv posted:

I wonder if how far you are from the target affects this because of travel time. I'm assuming it doesn't make too much of a difference, though being closer to bosses can be nice anyway because it makes dodging cone AoEs easier.

Distance does seem like it affects travel time, I wouldn't try to be in melee range though. I really don't pay attention how far I stand but if you wanna really game it, I would say just outside of all the anti melee aoes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Since I have a bad history of not playing jobs correctly, I'd like to try and get some sort of clarity on what I'm to do with the new Ninja jobs.

Controlling enmity hasn't really been a big thing thus far, but now I have a Smoke Bomb enmity reducing buff and some sort of alternative to Shade Shift that also affects enmity? Am I to be buffing people now while I run my rotations, or does the level 58/60 skills form a complete combo that makes more sense? What should I be doing with these new abilities?

Use Smoke Screen on cooldown on your tank, use Shadewalker on the other melee dps on cooldown. Claim you did nothing wrong on every wipe.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

General consensus seems to be the enmity skills are pretty marginal and might have some edge-case utility but won't see any play 99% of the time (because aggro usually isn't a big concern even with subcompetent tanks).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The enmity abilities are extremely situational. I only use them when I have a particularly bad tank and they're letting the healer get aggro or something. And I mean they're on 2 and 3 minute cooldowns so it's not exactly something you can maintain, just toss it out when it's an emergency.

The others slot into the basic rotation really easily. Use duality on aeolian edge, use dream within a dream whenever it's off cooldown. Use armor breaker to maintain huton forever, I try to hit it when it's around 40 or under so I don't waste any of it's refresh, it only adds 30 seconds but the timer won't go over 70. The biggest shake-up is armor breaker allowing you more leeway with which ninjutsu you're casting when. So it makes things slightly more complicated in one area while making it easier in another.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"extremely situational" actually means "on cooldown on the tank in any serious content"

Shadewalker, anyway

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shadewalker is great for putting on the tank as you pull a boss to give them an insurmountable threat lead. It is also good to use on not-bosses in case your tank is bad. Smoke screen I tend to just sit on and throw on the healer in case of emergency's. Sometimes a blm doing particularly fierce AE.

I was pretty down on these skills when I got them, but I actually end up using them quite often whenever I am in a group.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Distance does seem like it affects travel time, I wouldn't try to be in melee range though. I really don't pay attention how far I stand but if you wanna really game it, I would say just outside of all the anti melee aoes.

Yeah I wouldn't game it, I just make sure I'm standing reasonably close to the healer and on bosses that have wide cones (WP Hard final boss, FC first boss) I keep close enough that I don't have to panic when they use them.

As a DRK, should I be basically constantly rotating through my defensive cooldowns (Foresight, Shadowskin, Dark Dance, Dark Mind)? Should I try to keep Scourge up on packs or should I just {Unleash} {Unleash} {Unleash}?

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 10, 2015

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
http://i.imgur.com/XTel3SU.jpg

BUY... OUR... GIL...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

vOv posted:

As a DRK, should I be basically constantly rotating through my defensive cooldowns (Foresight, Shadowskin, Dark Dance, Dark Mind)?

Yes. Use the ones with the shortest cooldowns first so that they're back up by the time you use the ones with longer cooldowns. Don't stack cooldowns (with the possible exception of Awareness + Foresight, since they're somewhat weak individually cross-class) unless you really, absolutely need the extra survivability for a big pull.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 10, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

This is like the most sensible statement about dpsing. Dosen't matter how good a rotation you theorycraft up and memorize if you cant stop, pause, and reset it when you need to or when you should.

"I got a mad opener"
"What happens 5 mins in the fight when your opener was only for 20s"

"Sick openers" can also be pretty poor for a longer fight. I mostly play WAR and BLM, both of which require a bit of finesse to maximize cooldowns, so maybe other classes are a bit different, but if you're bursting at the beginning you're loving up dps for later. Like for WAR, an optimal single target berserk cycle in deliverance is get stacks 3 and 4 up with maim and path, heavy swing, then pop berserk and internal release, fell cleave, infuriate, fell cleave, finish combo, pop vengance and whatsit new parry-from-front ability, heavy swing to maim or sunder, fell cleave, fracture, done. Some kind of sick opener blowing berserk/infuriate wastes that potential. I haven't gotten to BLM 60 yet but saving damage buff for triple flare was key at 50 and similarly I'm sure at 60 you want to hit it at a natural time of peak DPS.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

triple flare

Where's my Ex-Ether Yoshi? :argh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im glad I wasnt the only one creeped out enough by this to take a screenshot.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Truga posted:

Where's my Ex-Ether Yoshi? :argh:

I got to level 54 at least and let's just say at some point in a dungeon soon after, tears have been shed.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh I guess I completely misunderstood what shadewalker does, that is pretty useful in any group situation.

In my defense the wording of that tooltip is a mess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

I got to level 54 at least and let's just say at some point in a dungeon soon after, tears have been shed.

Yeah, I think I got an extra level in by using x-elixir, but after that's it's just gone

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What is this greyed out circle that sometimes appears on hp bars like this?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thank gently caress I hate walking

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've got a DRK question too; when should I be using Abyssal Drain instead of unleash? I'm only level 47 so maybe this will make more sense when I actually unlock the skill a long time from now, but looking ahead, it looks like they do pretty much the same thing, except that Abyssal Drain does a little more potency (and presumably has a little more enmity) and you can cast it from range instead of in a circle around you.

My guess is that I want to use abyssal drain to pull a pack (instead of unmend), and then once I'm in melee range, switch to Unleash (which uses less MP but does perfectly fine enmity) unless for some reason I need to pull a group that's far away from me again? Or is that completely wrong?

And since I'm asking possibly dumb questions, here's another one; when I'm fighting trash packs, should I be using the power slash enmity combo at all, or does it make more sense to just use the souleater or delirium combo to keep my MP up and rely on unleash to keep my enmity up?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Unleash is Flash except it does damage and Abyssal Drain is Overpower except it's ranged. What this means is that Unleash does not need a target while Abyssal Drain does more damage (and Dark Arts lets it leech a ton of HP) and more emnity at the cost of MP. The major difference between the two is that Unleash does not break your weapon skill combos while Abyssal Drain does (so exactly like Flash vs Overpower).

Also, pull with Unmend so you can hope for the free Unleash.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Failboattootoot posted:

Shadewalker is great for putting on the tank as you pull a boss to give them an insurmountable threat lead. It is also good to use on not-bosses in case your tank is bad.

No, Shadewalker goes on the dragoon just as the tank pulls.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone else find themselves annoyed at the voice previews in the character creator? I like my highlander ganondorf appearance (for now) but I just started playing Monk again and the YAAH YAAH YAAH is loving ridiculous sounding. Half tempted to burn a fantasia just to fix that but then with only four emotes in there it's hard to judge.

It's me, spergin over something that doesn't matter :saddowns:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The YAAH is really the best male voice though. I wasn't happy with them at character creation either but it could be worse.
There's one particular female voice that combined with a certain emote it sounds... Uh... Inappropriate.

Also after I play for awhile I tend to keep my headphones off for running around and doing things so I don't ruin my enjoyment of the sound design in the game by hearing it too much.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've got a DRK question too; when should I be using Abyssal Drain instead of unleash? I'm only level 47 so maybe this will make more sense when I actually unlock the skill a long time from now, but looking ahead, it looks like they do pretty much the same thing, except that Abyssal Drain does a little more potency (and presumably has a little more enmity) and you can cast it from range instead of in a circle around you.

My guess is that I want to use abyssal drain to pull a pack (instead of unmend), and then once I'm in melee range, switch to Unleash (which uses less MP but does perfectly fine enmity) unless for some reason I need to pull a group that's far away from me again? Or is that completely wrong?

And since I'm asking possibly dumb questions, here's another one; when I'm fighting trash packs, should I be using the power slash enmity combo at all, or does it make more sense to just use the souleater or delirium combo to keep my MP up and rely on unleash to keep my enmity up?

You should be Blood Pricing on packs to keep your MP up and just using unleash to keep hate.

And with Abyssal drain you want to use it during giant end game packs with dark arts because most healers are poo poo and it'll allow you to keep yourself up somewhat.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

abyssal drain is for when you want to see a sick as gently caress particle effect. as drk this is #1 priority in your CPS (cool per second) rotation

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

Unleash is Flash except it does damage and Abyssal Drain is Overpower except it's ranged. What this means is that Unleash does not need a target while Abyssal Drain does more damage (and Dark Arts lets it leech a ton of HP) and more emnity at the cost of MP. The major difference between the two is that Unleash does not break your weapon skill combos while Abyssal Drain does (so exactly like Flash vs Overpower).

Also, pull with Unmend so you can hope for the free Unleash.

Bolded for not true. Unleash has a higher enmity mod so they both give the same amount.
Unleash is also more potency per MP so if you aren't swimming in Blood Price MP but have several targets to hit at once Unleash might be more damage before you go dry.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Now do three in a row.

Best I've ever gotten is 123, 789, 123.

This happened twice in four days, then only one jackpot since :(

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Maybe I just need to enlarge my hotbars, but I wish you could have numbers on your cooldown overlays instead of just the shaded sweep animation. Sometimes I'll take a quick glance and be fooled into thinking something is off cooldown when in reality it has like 10 seconds left.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Materant posted:

Now that I've gotten to 50 AST, I'm kinda frustrated that I can't switch between Diurnal and Nocturnal in-battle, and I'm honestly not sure why they're restricted like that, coming off of basically every other stance in the game. Are they afraid Astrologian would get too powerful despite it's lower numbers if we were allowed to stance-dance?

Yeah this really sucks with AST, so your only real options is to do whatever the other healer isn't doing (or rock/paper/scissors if the other is an AST) and decide if you want to be a ghetto WHM or a ghetto SCH in 4 mans.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

What the hell was the 2.0 equivalent of the Machinist who spends the entire dungeon in Gauss Barrel and not using Hot Shot or Lead Shot

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

What the hell was the 2.0 equivalent of the Machinist who spends the entire dungeon in Gauss Barrel and not using Hot Shot or Lead Shot

Black mage spamming Fire 3.

e: and using transpose to switch to ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fister Roboto posted:

Black mage spamming Fire 3.

e: and using transpose to switch to ice

I see you've played with my FC BLMs.

• Locked thread