Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Geoff Zahn posted:

Fatbeats link has the lenticular jacket for $10 less than Amazon / Ghostly, and offers free shipping. Anything I should know about that site, or are they good to order from? Skepticism piqued when I saw the price difference.

It's been a few years since I last ordered from Fatbeats but I don't recall having any major issue with them, except they were a little on the slow side to ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

taqueso posted:

I would expect most places to honor the old price if you talk to them.

Yeah, I sent Amazon a message about it and got sorted pretty quickly. It even ended up cheaper, CS said they'd adjust it back to £14.99 but they ended up adjusting it to £12.49. Can't argue with that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Geoff Zahn posted:

Fatbeats link has the lenticular jacket for $10 less than Amazon / Ghostly, and offers free shipping. Anything I should know about that site, or are they good to order from? Skepticism piqued when I saw the price difference.

no clue but they have a pretty big presence on facebook. i'm bracing myself for it to be the non lenticular version though

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I just bought my first turntable today, used from Craigslist. I was trying to find a Technics SL-D2 on eBay but kept getting overbid. I got impatient. I heard that really bad turntables will actually destroy your records. It's a Stanton T.52. Did I just waste $20?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Macintosh HD posted:

I just bought my first turntable today, used from Craigslist. I was trying to find a Technics SL-D2 on eBay but kept getting overbid. I got impatient. I heard that really bad turntables will actually destroy your records. It's a Stanton T.52. Did I just waste $20?

It's one of Stanton's straight-arm models and that's Not a Good Thing because it's specifically designed for skip-resistance with really heavy tracking force instead of good tracking (you'd think skip-resistance and good tracking were the same thing but one means "stylus doesn't fly out of the groove when I do fancy DJ poo poo" and the other means "stylus tracks both walls of the groove as well as possible throughout the record").

Then again you can probably sell it for $30 fairly easily if it's in good nick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In other words, it's a good turntable for its intended use, which is not listening to records.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's one of Stanton's straight-arm models and that's Not a Good Thing because it's specifically designed for skip-resistance with really heavy tracking force instead of good tracking (you'd think skip-resistance and good tracking were the same thing but one means "stylus doesn't fly out of the groove when I do fancy DJ poo poo" and the other means "stylus tracks both walls of the groove as well as possible throughout the record").

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ah, thank you for the information. Will it be ruining records if I use it until I find something better?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Macintosh HD posted:

Ah, thank you for the information. Will it be ruining records if I use it until I find something better?

What kind of records?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

BigFactory posted:

What kind of records?

I'm new to vinyl, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Size? LP's, probably.
Weight? No clue.
Genre? Any

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Macintosh HD posted:

I'm new to vinyl, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Size? LP's, probably.
Weight? No clue.
Genre? Any

So you don't own any records, you're just afraid you're going to ruin hypothetical records.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Does anybody have any recommendations for records that sound like M|O|O|N or the Hotline Miami Soundtrack and are not difficult to track down? Shopping for EDM music is hard as gently caress if you don't know poo poo about the subgenres.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just moved and the movers hosed up one of the legs I put on my Expedit and it toppled over and smashed onto the floor

but it was empty

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

BigFactory posted:

So you don't own any records, you're just afraid you're going to ruin hypothetical records.

I'd just like to know if this turntable is worth keeping once I have some records. If it's okay, I'll use it while searching for something better. If not, I'll just hold off. I think it's a valid question since it has been stated that bad turntables will ruin records.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's the long answer: no-one knows for sure :shrug:

It was also the short answer.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Macintosh HD posted:

I'd just like to know if this turntable is worth keeping once I have some records. If it's okay, I'll use it while searching for something better. If not, I'll just hold off. I think it's a valid question since it has been stated that bad turntables will ruin records.

I'm not really sure why these people are being so indirect and unhelpful but you shouldn't risk it. If you just want to listen to cool records (no idea what they meant by type, either) google something like best record players, etc. and buy one of those. Vinyl is super en vogue right now so $100 can get you exactly what you're looking for.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Macintosh HD posted:

If you're listening to a bunch of dollar bin records than who cares. If you're listening to normal, run of the mill records you buy from amazon or sam goody, same thing, who cares. You're not going to destroy them by listening to them on this record player until you upgrade to a better one down the road. If you're listening to priceless records from an archive, or just stuff that's pretty rare and should be handled with care and concern then no, don't play them on your shithouse DJ deck.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Records aren't made of sugar and angels' tears and your turntable probably isn't going to Literally Destroy your records. That would be counterproductive.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Alright, thank you everyone.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BigFactory posted:

If you're listening to a bunch of dollar bin records than who cares. If you're listening to normal, run of the mill records you buy from amazon or sam goody, same thing, who cares. You're not going to destroy them by listening to them on this record player until you upgrade to a better one down the road. If you're listening to priceless records from an archive, or just stuff that's pretty rare and should be handled with care and concern then no, don't play them on your shithouse DJ deck.

Best advice so far.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Went home over the 4th and looked through and took some of my parents' old records. Took a lot of dad rock type stuff. Disappointed I only found one of his Super tramp albums since I got into them well after.

My mom on the other hand was way too into Barbara Streisand.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Gravel Gravy posted:

My mom on the other hand was way too into Barbara Streisand.

This is the essence of inheriting a collection.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Giga Gaia posted:

This is the essence of inheriting a collection.

yup, except for me it was my grandpa who was way too into her for whatever reason.

also an entire crate of christmas

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone ever shipped their record collection across an ocean? I'm moving UK to US next year and can't decide whether to sell up and start afresh, or to hope everything goes well. Most of my stuff ain't worth Jack so I'll probably sell/give it away, but a few things are worth real money (sigur ros' takk, carpenter brut trilogy etc)

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I've done it from the UK to Japan. I just bought a batch of mailers which held 4-5 records a piece, took some old boxes from the local supermarket to cut up for padding, and sent over anything I cared about via airmail (and just accepted it'd cost loads). For the stuff I REALLY cared about (Tom Waits box set, Arab Strap box set) I packed it in my hand luggage covered in bubble wrap.

I've no experience of shipping by sea, other than sending books, and those came through OK but you could tell if it'd been anything more delicate then it would have had a traumatic journey, so I can't say I'd recommend it. I think my wife used that method to ship all her stuff from Canada, and said most of her CD cases were destroyed when it arrived, so had about the same experience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, maybe I'll just do it like that and have a real think about what's worth sending and making sure I do it properly.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

So, my mom recently dug out her old turntable, a Technics SL-D202, and I gladly took it off her hands. Still works great, one problem - she didn't keep the receiver. I'm very stupid and what the guy at the record store told me is that I'll need a pre-amp and a receiver, but I am also a huge cheap-rear end and don't want to spend 300+ dollars on it since at that point I might as well buy something like an Audio-Technica.

So, basically: what's a pretty cheap way to pump up the volume on my turntable? I'm talking around $100 or less. Do I need a receiver, or are just speakers fine? Sorry, I'm very new at all this and the OP only sorta touched on this aspect.

In exchange for info, here's pics of the vinyl I'm inheriting. And yes, for some reason by dad got and kept two copies of the same Queen album. I don't know why and, when I asked him, turns out he doesn't know why either.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I once thought I'd have to go all the way to reddit to see pictures of the fabled Rumors and Hotel California.

PeaceDiner posted:

I am also a huge cheap-rear end and don't want to spend 300+ dollars on it since at that point I might as well buy something like an Audio-Technica.

So, basically: what's a pretty cheap way to pump up the volume on my turntable? I'm talking around $100 or less. Do I need a receiver, or are just speakers fine?

Records are a hobby for people with too much money. If you aren't willing to invest a little bit of money just hang the records on your wall and continue enjoying mp3's. I don't say this to be elitist I say it because like any vintage hobby, poo poo gets more expensive everyday, you wouldn't roll up on a classic car thread and explain you also want to collect classic cars but want to spend no money while doing it.

Simply speakers will not do, I ask the following question to help you understand why. In a straight to speakers setup like you propose, what is providing power to the speakers? They need juice to work. You can find a used receiver that will fit into your budget but it will take time trawling pawn shops, goodwill, Craigslist, eBay, etc. You specifically want one with a setting and input for "Phono", this will have the pre-amp you need to make a turntable work.

Edit: it's hard to give recommendations on so little info, do you already have speakers or do you need those too? You can get a receiver for under 100 but receiver and speakers for 100 is really pushing it and the kind of speakers one may get at that price... Well the headphones that came with your phone are likely better than some discount bin shelf speakers.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 9, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can do records on a budget (especially since there is spotify for free so you don't HAVE to buy new records all the time), I limit myself to a record a month max or save up for record fairs etc

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
So...

Do you guys think that the 'mats will be reissuing Let It Be anytime soon?

I can snag a VG+ for next to nothing but obviously there's no point if there's an upcoming reprint.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Spam posted:

So...

I can snag a VG+ for next to nothing but obviously there's no point if there's an upcoming reprint.

A lot of times times you're better off buying the older pressing, especially if it's cheaper. Not all reissues were done with care.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

PeaceDiner posted:

So, my mom recently dug out her old turntable, a Technics SL-D202, and I gladly took it off her hands. Still works great, one problem - she didn't keep the receiver. I'm very stupid and what the guy at the record store told me is that I'll need a pre-amp and a receiver, but I am also a huge cheap-rear end and don't want to spend 300+ dollars on it since at that point I might as well buy something like an Audio-Technica.

So, basically: what's a pretty cheap way to pump up the volume on my turntable? I'm talking around $100 or less. Do I need a receiver, or are just speakers fine? Sorry, I'm very new at all this and the OP only sorta touched on this aspect.

In exchange for info, here's pics of the vinyl I'm inheriting. And yes, for some reason by dad got and kept two copies of the same Queen album. I don't know why and, when I asked him, turns out he doesn't know why either.

Newer receivers don't have phono inputs (built in pre-amp) so if you want one that can also do fancy surround and hdmi stuff then yeah you need a separate pre amp.

I just put together a set up for under 100 by finding an old receiver and speakers on craigslist. I see them from time to time at good will too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Newer receivers don't have phono inputs

You can buy a brand-new receiver with a phono input for less than 400€ (or around 200€ from such esoteric high-end brands as Pioneer for instance, if you don't need an actual receiver in your receiver). I know that has nothing to do with PeaceDiner's situation but still...

More to the point, decent phono pre-amps start around 30€ and from there you can hook it up to whatever you're listening to music through right now as long as it has any sort of input (a computer, TV, or boom box for instance) or doesn't need amplification (headphones, powered speakers). If you have no set-up then staying under 100$ is going to be tough since speakers cost money :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 9, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Spam posted:

So...

CPL593H posted:

A lot of times times you're better off buying the older pressing, especially if it's cheaper. Not all reissues were done with care.

Let It Be will be reissued as part of the Twin Tone years box set set to be released next month:

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Tone-Years-4LP/dp/B00XO2A1LE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436443713&sr=8-1

Also, where would one find the original pressing for "next to nothing"? I've never seen that album sell for less than $70 lately. If you can get the original for cheap, absolutely do that.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 9, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Spam posted:

So...

This somewhat depends on what "next to nothing" really is but it's super expensive now and even after the box set releases it will still hold some value.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PeaceDiner posted:

Check Craigslist for a cheap, old receiver. The ugly black ones from the 80s will be the cheapest and sound fine. All the old ones will have phone inputs. You don't need to spend hundreds on a receiver unless you want to.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

PeaceDiner posted:

The basic reality is that you're going to need at least a pre-amp, and from there, how you get the sound to your speakers is up to you.

Why do you need a pre-amp? Well, a pre-amp is what makes your records sound the way they are supposed to. Why?

The sound that is cut onto a record is not actually the sound that you hear coming out of your speakers. Because records are a physical format, and so you need to consider how much space a groove will take up and how well the needle can handle tracking through it, certain frequencies are reduced in volume and other frequencies are increased in volume. It's called an equalization curve. All records since some point in the 50s are cut with the RIAA Equalization curve.

So, if you don't have a preamp, the sound you'll get out of your record player will be horrible. It will be tinny, it will sound weird, and it just won't sound like the music you want to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNq1rl_QVo

This is the best video I can find that highlights what a record sounds without a preamp versus what it sounds like with a preamp. It's not really that good.

LessThanThree
May 2, 2005

'till infinity
Picked up the green* version of Blood Mountain and blue version of Crack the Skye from Mastodon. Is it possible for records to be heavier than 180g? These are like a 1kg weight on my turntable. Great quality and they come with an inner liner with lyrics if anyone is interested.

Was surprised as my first new vinyls they needed cleaning more than some of my extremely used ones. Perfect once cleaned though.

*eye melting fluorescent green*

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Just buy a used stereo receiver with a phono input and you'll be fine.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

The basic reality is that you're going to need at least a pre-amp, and from there, how you get the sound to your speakers is up to you.

Why do you need a pre-amp? Well, a pre-amp is what makes your records sound the way they are supposed to. Why?

The sound that is cut onto a record is not actually the sound that you hear coming out of your speakers. Because records are a physical format, and so you need to consider how much space a groove will take up and how well the needle can handle tracking through it, certain frequencies are reduced in volume and other frequencies are increased in volume. It's called an equalization curve. All records since some point in the 50s are cut with the RIAA Equalization curve.

So, if you don't have a preamp, the sound you'll get out of your record player will be horrible. It will be tinny, it will sound weird, and it just won't sound like the music you want to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNq1rl_QVo

This is the best video I can find that highlights what a record sounds without a preamp versus what it sounds like with a preamp. It's not really that good.

That's really only the case if your receiver doesn't have a phono input, like the guy in that video. If he finds an old receiver, he'll be fine.

edit: what he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That Elton John Greatest Hits was the first album I ever bought. I still have it and it sounds pretty good considering its age.

Yes, I'm old.

:corsair: