Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Werner-Boogle posted:

I need your help thread. This weekend I'm gonna be doing 3 consecutive 9 hour night shifts where I will have nothing to do. It's basically gonna be 27 hours of just me and my computer so I was thinking of just binging on a show to keep me awake. I have access to Netflix and HBO Nordic which to my knowledge has pretty much every HBO series.

Due to studies and having a kid I haven't really watched a lot of TV shows the last few years, so just throw whatever you really like at me. Even stuff you think that EVERYONE has seen, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it. I have seen Breaking Bad though as the only recent and majorly popular show that springs to mind.

Also, I was thinking of watching that movie Nightcrawler since I hear it's very good. Yay or nay?

Twin Peaks will probably run around 27 hours. Also Netflix has all of the Star Trek TV shows, any of which are well over 27 hours so take your pick. Also there are worse ways to spend your time than 27 hours of X-Files.

If you want something newer, It's Always Sunny in Phildelphia has 8 or 9 seasons on Netflix.

Comedy option: get incredibly high and marathon Garfield and Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I think I'm gonna do The Wire of maybe GoT just so I know what all my friends are talking about.

Or maybe X-Files. Never watched it, but I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan.

Chef Tony
Jun 13, 2005

The Miracle Blade will stay sharp the first time, the fourth time, everytime!
You can easily finish Generation Kill in a shift.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Is there any word on Season 3 of Peaky Blinders coming to Netflix?

Also I just started watching Lillyhammer and its been great fun

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Might be too late to recommend something, but Carnivale on HBO is pretty amazing IMO. It's a shame it ended on a cliffhanger.

I think if it had been released a few years later (it started in 2003) in a different HBO era, it might have kept going.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Haerc posted:

Might be too late to recommend something, but Carnivale on HBO is pretty amazing IMO. It's a shame it ended on a cliffhanger.

I think if it had been released a few years later (it started in 2003) in a different HBO era, it might have kept going.

I was thinking of this but I wasn't sure if it was good. I saw the first season but never saw the second so I couldn't really recommend it. Around the same time, I also watched the series Dead Like Me which I really enjoyed but I don't think it's streaming.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just noticed they finally put up the 8th season of Peep Show on netflix.

If anyone hasn't seen it, you NEED it in your life. British sitcom, based around possibly the most socially awkward people ever committed to film.

Some all-time classic comedy moments, but you will watch them through your fingers. Think "British Curb Your Enthusiasm" and you're pretty close.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it, you NEED it in your life. British sitcom, based around possibly the most socially awkward people ever committed to film.

Some all-time classic comedy moments, but you will watch them through your fingers. Think "British Curb Your Enthusiasm" and you're pretty close.

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up. Weekend plans: settled.

(edit)

Uh, season 8 has been up for like a year, you got me excited thinking the finale series was up.

Goddamn it Helmsley.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Jun 27, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Before I finished reading your post I was gonna say CYE (because I'm catching up on it a little late but I'd already seen most of Peep Show) because it's almost physically painful how awkward both shows are.

Paper cuts on the genitals gently soaked in lime juice and yet

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just watched an 80's spaghetti post-nuke film called 2019: After the fall of New York. A mash up of Escape from New York, Mad Max, Planet of the Apes and a few others but surprisingly well done and entertaining. It was on a Roku channel called Premiere.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Think "British Curb Your Enthusiasm" and you're pretty close.

That's all I need to hear. Netflix has been trying to get me to watch that for ages, guess I'll give it a shot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Before I finished reading your post I was gonna say CYE (because I'm catching up on it a little late but I'd already seen most of Peep Show) because it's almost physically painful how awkward both shows are.

Paper cuts on the genitals gently soaked in lime juice and yet

I'd say Peep Show goes further than CYE because as far as I know Larry David never accidentally killed a friend's dog and is forced to attempt to eat the partially burned corpse to cover it up.

And remember: That's probably not even the most awkward moment in the show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Kung Fu Hustle is on Netflix now, if you like action and/or comedy and aren't deathly allergic to subtitles then you have no excuse to not be watching this movie right now.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sleeveless posted:

Kung Fu Hustle is on Netflix now, if you like action and/or comedy and aren't deathly allergic to subtitles then you have no excuse to not be watching this movie right now.

Agreed. Watch this movie if you haven't, it's basically live action Looney Tunes and it's amazing.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I finally got around to watching eXistenZ on Netflix and I was impressed. I've heard it compared to The Matrix, but I don't think that's totally accurate. It's closer to Inception than anything else (well, now that Inception out).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Watrick posted:

I finally got around to watching eXistenZ on Netflix and I was impressed. I've heard it compared to The Matrix, but I don't think that's totally accurate. It's closer to Inception than anything else (well, now that Inception out).

Maybe I was too tired or too jaded but I was not impressed at all. Cronnenberg is hit and miss for me anyway and by the end of the movie I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

To round out my terrible opinions: Agents of SHIELD season 2 has been up for a bit. Muscling through the first season was worth it. Bridging the gap with Inhumans is pretty exciting.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I was too tired or too jaded but I was not impressed at all. Cronnenberg is hit and miss for me anyway and by the end of the movie I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

Cronenberg making a movie about being in a videogame was a surprisingly cool fit because he does a good job showing off how eerie and unnatural things like getting stuck in a dialogue tree with an NPC or doing something you don't understand and can't control because the game dictates it are when translated to real life, the movie is worth watching just for the restaurant segment alone for that reason.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Watrick posted:

Most people who compare poo poo to The Matrix, don't actually get that it is supposed to be about more than "people in computer sci fi land in black clothes, doing some action movie things." You can even remove two or even three factors from that, and most of the people I've met will not have gone farther into the matrix than that.

Except for the ones who broke the fourth wall for the first time, watching The Matrix... They might become Dark Enlightenment PUAs.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I stumbled across an HBO series on Amazon called Hung, about a down and out basketball coach with a big penis. I watched 2 episodes expecting it to be a comedy but strangely it's not. What's the skinny, worth watching? The 2 eps I watched were okay but the series seems very predictable.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

wormil posted:

I stumbled across an HBO series on Amazon called Hung, about a down and out basketball coach with a big penis. I watched 2 episodes expecting it to be a comedy but strangely it's not. What's the skinny, worth watching? The 2 eps I watched were okay but the series seems very predictable.

First two seasons are alright, third season takes a nose dive and then it got cancelled. Not worth putting in the time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

To round out my terrible opinions: Agents of SHIELD season 2 has been up for a bit. Muscling through the first season was worth it. Bridging the gap with Inhumans is pretty exciting.

I really wanted to love Agents of SHIELD. I really did. But I watched the first three episodes and it feels like every single character is interchangeable. They could have Chinese Fire Drill'd the script, and I'd never notice.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I really wanted to love Agents of SHIELD. I really did. But I watched the first three episodes and it feels like every single character is interchangeable. They could have Chinese Fire Drill'd the script, and I'd never notice.

Most people consider the first season mediocre and the characters generic and forgettable until about two-thirds of the way through Season 1, when the status quo changed in a major way in the episode "Turn, Turn, Turn" (which spun directly out of the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier).

If you really wanted to love it, try watching that episode with an open mind, hopefully after having seen the movie. I think even the biggest critics of the show will agree it got a lot better from there, and stayed decent-to-great throughout Season 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Most people consider the first season mediocre and the characters generic and forgettable until about two-thirds of the way through Season 1, when the status quo changed in a major way in the episode "Turn, Turn, Turn" (which spun directly out of the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier).

If you really wanted to love it, try watching that episode with an open mind, hopefully after having seen the movie. I think even the biggest critics of the show will agree it got a lot better from there, and stayed decent-to-great throughout Season 2.

Yeah, I gave up on it a few episodes in when it was first airing, but when S1 got up on Netflix I ended up pretty hooked. There's some stuff worth watching before the Winter Soldier stuff, but I can't remember which episodes. Pretty much any of the ones with Bill Paxton in them are watchable at a minimum, though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

wormil posted:

I liked it. 1redflag is right, though--the 3rd season fizzles out. Nonetheless, everything leading up to it is pretty entertaining. And yeah, it's not a comedy comedy, but there were lots of things that happened in the show that made my sides ache from laughing. I'd say if you finish season 1 and aren't charmed, you can bail without missing out on anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stick with it, it gets better about halfway through S1. You might be able to skip a few episodes, I can't remember.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I gave up on it a few episodes in when it was first airing, but when S1 got up on Netflix I ended up pretty hooked. There's some stuff worth watching before the Winter Soldier stuff, but I can't remember which episodes. Pretty much any of the ones with Bill Paxton in them are watchable at a minimum, though.
All the Bill Paxton stuff is during the lead-up to the finale, not during the first half of the season. The first half-dozen episodes are important though because you might otherwise not understand where a couple characters came from, or how Deathlok's story, for instance, is super sad because he just gets pulled between two forces until he's torn apart - repeatedly. And you've gotta spend those early days in tahiti!

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Legit is hilarious. It's a sitcom in the vein of Louis, but with comedian Jim Jefferies. The humour is very crass and is chock full of the word oval office. Unfortunately there's only two seasons but it's well worth the watch.

Fringe is basically if the X Files had a baby with Lost.

Raising Hope is made by the My Name is Earl people and is more laughing at dumb white trash goodness.

Gotta say +1 for eXistenz as well. I'm not a Cronenburg fan but it's a strange, fun movie.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Is there anywhere that I can watch Modern Family? I've caught a few eps on t.v. and it looks like it might be funny.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
An Honest Liar is a great documentary that seemingly flew by. It's about a former magician who went around debunking frauds like psychics and faith healers. There's also a bit near the end about the drama in his personal life. Definitely worth a watch.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

ExCruceLeo posted:

Is there anywhere that I can watch Modern Family? I've caught a few eps on t.v. and it looks like it might be funny.

According to canistream.it, Amazon has some seasons for sale at $1.99/episode. Maybe a foreign Netflix has it? I've seen a few episodes here and there. I like it well enough, but my wife hates it.I think it's the way it's shot that she doesn't like (similar to a reality show).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ExCruceLeo posted:

If you're in Canada Shomi has it

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Thanks, I might just end up buying it on Amazon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy crap Road House gets dark fast. I was expecting Footloose meets Cocktail but drat people get hosed up in this movie.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

So my month-long, virginal Sopranos binge is coming to a close.

What the hell do I watch after this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Wire.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

withak posted:

The Wire.

Did that two summers ago, and did Deadwood last fall. With Mad Men finished, I think I ran out of good TV :smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah you're basically done.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Crow Jane posted:

Did that two summers ago, and did Deadwood last fall. With Mad Men finished, I think I ran out of good TV :smith:

Have you seen Breaking Bad? It's basically the capstone on the "angry middle-aged white guy family man antihero" prestige cable drama niche that Sopranos created.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Treme is pretty good, made by David Simon (The Wire dude).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

SwissDonkey posted:

Legit is hilarious. It's a sitcom in the vein of Louis, but with comedian Jim Jefferies. The humour is very crass and is chock full of the word oval office. Unfortunately there's only two seasons but it's well worth the watch.

I'd like to point out that while legit is raunchy as hell, it's also pretty drat sweet at times.