Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Poizen Jam posted:

Props to those models for keeping their strut/composure- I'm pretty sure even soldiers would have broken rank to help a fellow member who fell through the loving floor.
In the full clip a photographer goes to save her and falls through too, LOL

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b01_1207346351

Well to be fair he kinda got pushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ullerrm posted:

You'd probably enjoy this video, which is of a French amateur HAM who makes his own triode tubes, including the glasswork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw

He makes the vast majority of his own tools -- little tiny spot welders, an induction heater for degassing, a glass annealing oven, etc. I giggled uncontrollably at the little sweeping plotter for making his own Ip/Vg curves.

I blow glass and I really appreciate all the different little rigs he built to standardize the process between getting perfect cuts and flares and seals

His joints are a little sloppy, though.

Would also probably be better off using borosilicate and not worrying about annealing.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Sockser posted:

I blow glass and I really appreciate all the different little rigs he built to standardize the process between getting perfect cuts and flares and seals

Would also probably be better off using borosilicate and not worrying about annealing.

In the comments of the youtube, you can find the some background info. The creator of the video was making a book about the history of radio, and was trying to replicate a 100-year-old design (one of the earliest Ferrie triodes). He intentionally only used tools suitable to when the radio was created.

(That's why he's using that frightening-rear end mercury pump to generate vacuum.)

That said, borosilicate glass was definitely available in 1915, so I'm not sure why he didn't use it.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Alereon posted:

I'm really curious what kind of mortar this was, whether it malfunctioned, and what his injuries were. I can't imagine any of the fireworks I can buy commercially, even the illegal ones from the Indian reservation, would have enough recoil force to cause more than a headache unless the mortar exploded in the tube.

The mortar may have malfunctioned but natural selection is working as intended.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ullerrm posted:

That said, borosilicate glass was definitely available in 1915, so I'm not sure why he didn't use it.

Need to get a serious propane/oxy or mapp/oxy torch rather than just simple propane torch head like he's using

Difference between $40 and several hundred dollars.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 10, 2015

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Fashion safety dad to the rescue. Son can never live up to his fabulous expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUSQm5ZskQ
Heres the longer version, with more safety dad.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Sockser posted:

Sockser posted:

Need to get a serious propane/oxy or mapp/oxy torch rather than just simple propane torch head like he's using

Difference between $40 and several hundred dollars.

Pmd you about glass

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

haljordan posted:

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/actually-on-the-job-safety-is-a-laughing-matter-10789

Also farming sounds like a terrible, terrible job. I'm guessing the equipment used could rip your arm off so fast you wouldn't realize it was gone until you went to pick something up.

This article is a little more topical:
http://www.theonion.com/article/mr-pretty-boy-farmer-still-has-all-his-fingers-2705

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buff Skeleton posted:

I originally found this dude's videos from this thread, and I love them for the ingenuity and soothing nature of woodworking. But this one looks hilariously dangerous; I'd be afraid of that blade snapping off and flying up into my face or something.

More unsafe highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPP46_Y7ZPA&t=233s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6MqX5atHcY&t=457s

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I really need to know what this crop was... cause everyone is acting like he had a 2 hour window to finish the harvest and get it to market before the bank foreclosed on the farm. That's movie type stuff not real life.

Now I don't know about big fresh fruit and vegetable farms... Maybe it was going to freeze that night nad it was going to be really bad so he knew he had to get what he could off. Maybe... maybe that could make some sense.

I'd be willing to bet that he was so ingrained with his work ethic that he could not fathom going to the doc over some measly digits before he got a full day in. I've got family that's like that, so it's not a stretch. Just wrap that poo poo up and keep a the task.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

PathAsc posted:

I'd be willing to bet that he was so ingrained with his work ethic that he could not fathom going to the doc over some measly digits before he got a full day in. I've got family that's like that, so it's not a stretch. Just wrap that poo poo up and keep a the task.

I know a whole lot of hardworking people that would work through alot of pain, etc. but this is still a little crazy to me and probably 99% of the rest of the world. What kind of price do you put on your own fingers?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
A pinkie? I'd say a thousand dollars for one second of work.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Bit of a derail but I always enjoyed death and dismemberment insurance documents.

1 eye 5,000
2 eyes 15,000
2 eyes and your hearing or legs 50,000
death 50,000
3 fingers on one hand but not your thumb 1,000

etc etc. Just chop me up and tally the price tag. Jesus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Nards Pan posted:

A pinkie? I'd say a thousand dollars for one second of work.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Got another story from General Ickes about osha.mil.gov! This was when the F-15 was just entering service with the US Air Force.

Turns out the crew chief had put his wrench on a little shelf on the underside of the plane, and forgotten about it until he saw the F-15 take off.

That poo poo's no joke.

My work builds CH-47s. Production flight test flies them as they come off the line, then an Army pilot flies them, any gripes get fixed, then the Army signs the contract for that airframe and flies it away to go do Army stuff with it. We try to control FOD really tightly (way tighter than the Army does when they're operating the things). If a line worker loses a tool (which are all controlled), he tells people. Everybody working that airframe stops what they're doing and they look for that tool until it gets found. You can't be disciplined at all for saying "Hey, I lost a tool," but if you lose a tool and don't tell people and it gets discovered later, you lose your job.

Several years ago one of the production test flights came back and one of the inspections found an extra bolt had found its way onto the aircraft, where it migrated around and found itself wedged up against the drive shaft in the shaft tunnel.

All those drive shaft segments are aluminum and are sort of important, given that they make the forward rotor spin and keep it synched to the aft rotor so the two of those don't meet in flight and turn the aircraft into a plummeting bus. The bolt head had scored a groove into the rotating drive shaft, and if they'd kept flying it would have failed eventually and everyone would have probably died. And this was not the first time that aircraft flew, so that means either that multiple detailed inspections had missed the bolt and the drive shaft damage, or that multiple detailed inspections missed a loose bolt somewhere and it rattled and bounced around until it came to rest in one of the most dangerous places it could have wound up.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPe901ojA0

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darkhold posted:

Bit of a derail but I always enjoyed death and dismemberment insurance documents.

1 eye 5,000
2 eyes 15,000
death 50,000

Are those prices from the 1970's or what? Seem crazy low.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Darkhold posted:

1 eye 5,000
2 eyes 15,000
death 50,000

http://projects.propublica.org/graphics/workers-compensation-benefits-by-limb

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

ianmacdo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUSQm5ZskQ
Heres the longer version, with more safety dad.

Am I to understand that the only reason this kid put the glowstick in the microwave was to make it glow slightly brighter?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Farmers are loving hardcore. I currently sell ag equipment and I met a farmer at a trade show who had recently lost 3 fingers in some machine. Apparently it was a clean cut and they could have reattached them, but he decided to finish the harvest he was working on before heading to the ER :stare:

From a page back, but every person I've ever talked to who lost a finger or got an end cut off says that they wish they had opted for amputation rather then getting it sewed back on. Apparently even with a clean cut it's nothing but trouble and never heals or feels right again. Or maybe it's lovely doctors around here idk.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

From a page back, but every person I've ever talked to who lost a finger or got an end cut off says that they wish they had opted for amputation rather then getting it sewed back on. Apparently even with a clean cut it's nothing but trouble and never heals or feels right again. Or maybe it's lovely doctors around here idk.

I don't doubt if they had opted for amputation they'd be sitting around saying, "Man, I wish I had gotten it sewed back on."

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

baquerd posted:

Are those prices from the 1970's or what? Seem crazy low.
What I vaguely remember from 1995ish. Also it was bottom tier entry level stuff.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I know a whole lot of hardworking people that would work through alot of pain, etc. but this is still a little crazy to me and probably 99% of the rest of the world. What kind of price do you put on your own fingers?

poo poo, I'm not saying I'd do it. What I'm saying is that there's some real weathered chaps that look at losing a few fingers as small issues in their greater worldview. Real old salt-of-the-earth "this is how we've always done it" types. 99% seems a bit high too, considering working conditions for some countries with terrible working conditions and forced labor on top of high population densities.

Here in OSHA land though, I failed to get a picture of a guy transporting oxygen tanks with no caps on them that were in a lovely box with black rubber tie-downs holding the box to the bed of the truck. I'm sorry I failed you OSHA thread.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Homemade log splitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ejWHlPLaE

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Him in comments posted:

The truth of the matter, as I see it, is it's like interacting with a wild animal, if you show fear and apprehension you're done. I've cut near 20+ cord since the video and not as much as a splinter. The video looks as though each chop is near amputation, I keep at least 10 inches from any part of the wheel and with a couple small improvements to prevent kickbacks

"Being afraid of the wheel makes you MORE succeptable to getting injured by it, HUG IT!"

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Why doesn't he just use a pole or something to push it in?

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

Doggles posted:

I don't doubt if they had opted for amputation they'd be sitting around saying, "Man, I wish I had gotten it sewed back on."

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Forer posted:

"Being afraid of the wheel makes you MORE succeptable to getting injured by it, HUG IT!"

I first misread that as him saying you should show it fear and respect and thought maybe he's not a complete idiot. Eventually you're going to get Roy'ed though.

Then saw your comment and went back... :aaa:

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 11, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

lovely doctors, I know a dude had all his on one hand cut off in some sort of industrial accident, and then sewn back on, and even with them not 100% right, it's still much better than no fingers at all. Took a long time to heal and he had a very good doctor, though.

Friend managed to knock her big toenail off yesterday splitting logs with a sledgehammer, wearing flip-flops, while her new steel-capped boots sat neatly off to one side. I'm not even gonna ask.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 11, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Might be lovely doctors, but a lot of the problems are self-inflicted (after the fact). Post surgery therapy and exercise and mean the difference between getting 95% of your ability back or having a painful lump that is useless. My uncle severed a bunch of tendons in his forearm with a chop-saw and had to work for over a year to get to where he was sure he had 99% of his original ability in that hand. The exercised involved doing stuff that made his arm feel like it was literally on fire and would result in cramps and pains in his hand that wouldn't let him sleep for days since it felt like it was constantly being stabbed with needles. In the end his suffering paid off and he can barely tell that he once had no control over any of his fingers or his thumb in his one hand.

A teen that had done something similar with a window (much cleaner cut and wound) had the same doctor, and he was never able to use that hand again as it pretty much froze and became useless after a few months because he refused to do any of the exercises required to keep his hand working. A lot of the people who said they had wished the finger(s) had not been sewn back on probably fall into the latter camp and now have a useless and painful lump because they were not disciplined enough to save their digit(s).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

cowboythreespeech posted:

Why doesn't he just use a pole or something to push it in?

Poles are not that stupid.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zopotantor posted:

Poles are not that stupid.

Use a Russian instead. They don't give a gently caress.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Logsplitter Idiot posted:

The truth of the matter, as I see it, is it's like interacting with a wild animal, if you show fear and apprehension you're done. I've cut near 20+ cord since the video and not as much as a splinter. The video looks as though each chop is near amputation, I keep at least 10 inches from any part of the wheel and with a couple small improvements to prevent kickbacks

Eagerly :f5:-ing for the follow-up video where he loses an arm up to the elbow.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

haljordan posted:

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/actually-on-the-job-safety-is-a-laughing-matter-10789

Also farming sounds like a terrible, terrible job. I'm guessing the equipment used could rip your arm off so fast you wouldn't realize it was gone until you went to pick something up.

I think this is the article you meant to post: http://www.theonion.com/article/mr-pretty-boy-farmer-still-has-all-his-fingers-2705

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Eagerly :f5:-ing for the follow-up video where he loses an arm up to the elbow.

I've never seen "It can smell fear" applied in seriousness to an inanimate object....but here we are.

deviler
Feb 20, 2007

Let's take this star craft out of dry dock, shall we?
http://i.imgur.com/LkU6YpX.webm
from https://vimeo.com/132980067

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....
Ah, that's why there were no working traffic lights on Wednesday!

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/08/nearly-10000-without-power-in-seattle-city-light-worker-injured-in-20-foot-fall/

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

this is kick-rear end

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Homemade wood cutters, displaying varying degrees of safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sCGb678sQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0VKvYB4xss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmMcDJnxSWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The last one doesn't seem too bad until a piece of clothing gets caught and rips your arm off, but the first two are insanely stupid and obviously so.

• Locked thread