Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Pogue's take on iOS 9 features here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/ios-9-deep-plunge-the-57-coolest-features-123432534089.html

Apparently the need to use a fingerprint or passcode to use Apple Pay will be removed? How can that be possible, doesn't this mean if someone steals your phone they also effectively steal your credit card...?

Also, with the new notes format, does that mean notes will no longer be able to be backed up and read via gmail or a third party, what about icloud.com?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul Allen posted:

Apologies as I know this has been discussed before, but what's the brand of iPhone car mounts that seems to be the favorite here on the forums? I remember that the company had you specify your car make and model to get the best-fitting mount.
ProClip USA

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pro Clip USA

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
ProClipUSA

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Pro ClipUSA

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Radio Shack

edit: or Best Buy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Michael Scott posted:

Pogue's take on iOS 9 features here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/ios-9-deep-plunge-the-57-coolest-features-123432534089.html

Apparently the need to use a fingerprint or passcode to use Apple Pay will be removed? How can that be possible, doesn't this mean if someone steals your phone they also effectively steal your credit card...?

Also, with the new notes format, does that mean notes will no longer be able to be backed up and read via gmail or a third party, what about icloud.com?

I haven't installed it yet but the way I read that is that you double click to bring the wallet up, then pay as normal (like how music currently works).

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Rick posted:

I haven't installed it yet but the way I read that is that you double click to bring the wallet up, then pay as normal (like how music currently works).

Pogue specifically says that you won't need to unlock the phone before using Pay. In iOS 8 you don't currently have to "unlock" it traditionally but you do need a Touch ID or Passcode verification after bringing up Pay by touching the phone to a NFC point of sale device. I'm wondering how this could possibly be eliminated in iOS9, because it seems ridiculously non-secure to get rid of that verification.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 8, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

That newApplePay unlock is buggy in the betas. That double tap the home button deal is extremely sensitive, especially in the first beta, and every time I would attempt to unlock the device, it would pop open ApplePay. It's better now but still happens regularly.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Awesome, thanks everyone

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
If you don't want to spend the money on a ProClip, iOtttie makes a good mount with a great suction cup that will stick on even a dusty, rough-textured dash.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bvoid posted:

The receiver connects to the speakers/audio output with an aux cable.

iPhone ===Bluetooth==> BT Receiver ==Aux cable==> Speakers

I used the same aux cable for all my tests, and the audio sounds fine when the iPhone is connected directly to the speaker system with the cable.
Probably won't do anything but worth a shot, try disabling wifi. Just mentioning it cause audio dropouts are an issue with the Automatic OBD adapter and the current workaround is to turn off wifi, for whatever reason the trick works.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Pogue specifically says that you won't need to unlock the phone before using Pay. In iOS 8 you don't currently have to "unlock" it traditionally but you do need a Touch ID or Passcode verification after bringing up Pay by touching the phone to a NFC point of sale device. I'm wondering how this could possibly be eliminated in iOS9, because it seems ridiculously non-secure to get rid of that verification.

It's as insecure as having NFC in your card, which isn't really considered insecure at all due to spend limits?

In the UK at least, nearly every card is contactless enabled and loads of retailers accept them. There's almost no reason to use ApplePay already, and needing to scan your print or whatever has presumably been seen by Apple as a barrier for adoption, as why would you ever do that instead of just tapping your debit card?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I swear every time Apple do something with music I get more confused

I have a bunch of piece of poo poo songs on my iphone that I just through from lovely torrents for a 90s playlist once. It's horrible.

Now with Apple music I want to get them off and the other lovely albums off too and just stick with a few I want and have apple music grab the rest.

I'm connecting my iphone up to my PC and it's just showing any purchased or downloaded through apple music stuff though. I wanted to essentially just select it on my PC and then delete. Is there a quick way to do it somehow? Am I making sense?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

teacup posted:

I swear every time Apple do something with music I get more confused

I have a bunch of piece of poo poo songs on my iphone that I just through from lovely torrents for a 90s playlist once. It's horrible.

Now with Apple music I want to get them off and the other lovely albums off too and just stick with a few I want and have apple music grab the rest.

I'm connecting my iphone up to my PC and it's just showing any purchased or downloaded through apple music stuff though. I wanted to essentially just select it on my PC and then delete. Is there a quick way to do it somehow? Am I making sense?

So the music you want to get rid of, it's part of your current iTunes library on the PC? If that's the case, just delete it from your library and hit sync.

I assume, however, that the music you want to get rid of is not on your PC. If you sync your iPhone library with the PC library, PC wins and wipes the phone (it should ask first). That's why you can't just run around plugging your iPhone into any PC with iTunes running and hit sync. Unfortunately, doing everything "the proper way" will cause you to lose everything but the stuff you purchased from iTunes (assuming you authorized iTunes).

This is how iTunes has always worked.

I'd say you could use something like PhoneExplorer to find the specific CDs and delete them off the iPhone but I'm not sure if it works with iOS8.4.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Couldn't you just delete it directly from the phone?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
So in the mail app I can whitelist senders as VIPs to get notifications of those senders and not other emails. Can you do this the other way? I want to blacklist a handful of senders so I am not notified of those emails but want to receive and be notified of the rest.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Recently, my iPhone started constantly asking me for my Apple ID password. The password hasn't changed, and every time I enter it it works fine for a while. But, since I have TFA turned on, it's a pain in the rear end to have to do this multiple times a day. I haven't updated to any betas, running 8.4. Anybody else getting this or know how to get it to stick?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Any reason my mother's iPhone won't back up her Contacts and Notes to iCloud?

I had her check all the appropriate settings and everything is fine, but her iCloud backups aren't transferring them over. We had to rely on an older hard-backup from her computer to restore everything properly.

Followup: All her Contacts and Notes saved to Gmail instead of iCloud, is there any way I can save all the contacts in her phone to iCloud now? Besides importing a vCard

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 8, 2015

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

smr posted:

Recently, my iPhone started constantly asking me for my Apple ID password. The password hasn't changed, and every time I enter it it works fine for a while. But, since I have TFA turned on, it's a pain in the rear end to have to do this multiple times a day. I haven't updated to any betas, running 8.4. Anybody else getting this or know how to get it to stick?

This doesn't help, but mine did this all the time on 8.3. I'm on the iOS 9 dev beta now though and it hasn't been happening.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

Any reason my mother's iPhone won't back up her Contacts and Notes to iCloud?

I had her check all the appropriate settings and everything is fine, but her iCloud backups aren't transferring them over. We had to rely on an older hard-backup from her computer to restore everything properly.

Followup: All her Contacts and Notes saved to Gmail instead of iCloud, is there any way I can save all the contacts in her phone to iCloud now? Besides importing a vCard
Did you try turning it off then turning it back on again? Being serious.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Did you try turning it off then turning it back on again? Being serious.

We've turned a lot of things off/on, do you mean iCloud specifically?

What I think happened is that all her contacts/calendar/notes were saved to Gmail instead of iCloud, and I need to get them moved over to iCloud, over the phone, with someone who is highly technically illiterate. :psypop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

We've turned a lot of things off/on, do you mean iCloud specifically?

What I think happened is that all her contacts/calendar/notes were saved to Gmail instead of iCloud, and I need to get them moved over to iCloud, over the phone, with someone who is highly technically illiterate. :psypop:

Yeah, I meant iCloud, specifically. Is there any particular reason you want her using iCloud over Google?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I meant iCloud, specifically. Is there any particular reason you want her using iCloud over Google?

Well I managed to get the contacts transferred over at least, by logging into her Gmail and exporting a vCard. The notes I will mess with later.

She wanted everything consolidated into iCloud

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

EC posted:

Couldn't you just delete it directly from the phone?

Ha ha, or this, sometimes the simplest answer is the best. :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If anyone cares, the public beta for iOS is up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are all of the new multitasking goodies strictly iPad-only? I get that split screen or slide over wouldn't be great on an iPhone sized screen, but the PiP video could still work and would be great.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Jose Oquendo posted:

If anyone cares, the public beta for iOS is up.

Of course we care, thanks for the note. Apple's Beta site is getting slammed right now and it's pretty much unresponsive.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are all of the new multitasking goodies strictly iPad-only? I get that split screen or slide over wouldn't be great on an iPhone sized screen, but the PiP video could still work and would be great.

I think not only iPad, but Air 2 or newer only.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Screenshots having their own folder is the best feature of iOS 9.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

I think not only iPad, but Air 2 or newer only.
Air 2 (and newer would be...just Air 2 for now) gets the 2 up app multitasking where you can keep both apps open, but some older iPads still get the pip video and app slide over functions. I know the Air 1 and mini 2/3 can do it, I forget if the 4th gen does.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

japtor posted:

Air 2 (and newer would be...just Air 2 for now) gets the 2 up app multitasking where you can keep both apps open, but some older iPads still get the pip video and app slide over functions. I know the Air 1 and mini 2/3 can do it, I forget if the 4th gen does.

So how does the app slide over work? Is it default Apple apps only or is it something other app devs can tap into too?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iPad 3 gets none of the new stuff. :rip: 3rd Gen :rip:

(retina screen means I'll still use it for comics and poo poo)

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

iPad 3 gets none of the new stuff. :rip: 3rd Gen :rip:

(retina screen means I'll still use it for comics and poo poo)

Eh, iPad 3 still works fine for me given that I mostly use it for watching netflix and reading.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Snuffman posted:

So how does the app slide over work? Is it default Apple apps only or is it something other app devs can tap into too?

Apps have to be built with support for it. But for most apps, if the developers have been following Apple's guidelines, that literally means checking a box and recompiling.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Question for anyone running the beta, browsed Apple's iOS 9 preview page but didn't see anything. Have they added any options for navigation using the map app? Specifically, I mean does it have an option to avoid tolls like google maps does? I haven't seen or heard anything so doubt it but worth an ask I suppose.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Screenshots having their own folder is the best feature of iOS 9.

Is this retroactive somehow?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just updated to the public beta a few minutes ago. I had 2 app updates available. They updated in like 3 seconds flat :stare: I thought they went fast on iOS8 but this is like upgrading from a hard drive to an SSD.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I noticed a few things before installing the beta. I had about 1.9GB free before the install. I did uninstall a few small apps I wasn't really using anyway. I noticed that as part of the installation process it 'cleaned' a bunch of apps. I'm not sure what that was. I'm guessing removing cached data that eats up space. Like how some apps are only a few MB but take up way more once you use it. Guessing it removes that junk.

Anyway, after the install was done, I was up to 4.4GB free. Looks like they've solved some of the weird issues people have had with space 'going missing.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Is this retroactive somehow?

Seems to be. The only screenshot I had in my library was from 2013 and it showed up in the new album.