Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Midwaying the other carrier in your first run of the match is often the wrong tactical move, but pulling it off anyway and sinking a carrier higher tier than you is oh so satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sarmhan posted:

Russia, then Germany, then UK.
Blame Russian nationalists and Wehraboos.

Then Italy, then France IIRC.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, my last match in the Isokaze was... a thing. :stare:

That was probably the worst pubbies I've ever seen. Neither battleship nor the Yubari even tried evading the impending torp doom. :shepface:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cythereal posted:

Then Italy, then France IIRC.

Frankly the navies I look forward to most.

No I don't give a drat that the Giussanos are armored against high seas and not much more, it's an 8x6" cruiser that can hit 37 knots. If you don't want the Mogadors or Capitani Romani you have no soul.

I think France has more real ships overall though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Magni posted:

That was probably the worst pubbies I've ever seen. Neither battleship nor the Yubari even tried evading the impending torp doom. :shepface:
It's amazing to me how often people get hit by easily dodge-able torpedoes. Back near the end of CBT I fired off some torps at a Chester which missed, and they then carried on and killed a South Carolina, who then proceeded to complain about how Destroyers and torpedoes "are the reason no one plays this game".

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
And how many people travel in a straight line at a constant speed, especially battleships at the beginning of the game. Sure, you'll lose speed weaving all the time, but going 18 instead of 22 knots is better than eating torps and dying without firing a shot.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I said it a couple of pages ago but I'm really loving the Phoenix. Yah it turns a bit slow but it's speed and long range artillery easily make up for it. I've been having a lot of success using it as a very mobile sniping ship. I unlocked the Omaha a couple of days ago but I've just been having too much fun with the Phoenix and racking up the free exp.

JacksLibido posted:

Yeah I'm out then. It's too bad, the beginning tiers with the St. Louis and such were pretty awesome, and I have a bunch of gold from WOT left over I was planning on burning.

I'm only up to tier 5 but it's really not that bad. There's a level 3 skill you can get that let's you spot torpedoes 20% further out. Also, there's a few rules you can follow that help you avoid getting destroyed by them.

1. Never be the first ship in. Unless your a destroyer let the pubbies on your team rush in there ahead of you. They seem happy enough to do it.

2. If you see torpedo bombers heading towards you starting turning immediately. It really seems to gently caress with their aim.

3. Never be sailing parallel to a destroyer going the same way. In fact I generally try to stay a good distance from them and snipe them from far away.

I still get hit with the odd torpedo but since I started to do those things I listed, I haven't been killed by them.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I saw the pubbiest thing in a game earlier. There was a St. Louis shooting at torpedo bombers. At least he was shooting HE. In other news, the isokaze is amazing. 60+ knot torps are tough to dodge and some games I kill multiple battleships from 100%.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I don't think I can properly express how much I hate the Furutaka. Back in CBT I got the Aoba with the Kuma before it got put in, so before now I didn't have to endure the pain. But now...this is going to be the first ship I totally skip with free XP.

edit: and done. Now for some fun with the Aoba :allears:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

Did the Russian navy actually, like, do anything in WWII?

120 amphibious landings, 120 Heroes of the Soviet Union, defenders of Stalingrad, Leningrad and Moscow and the best combat attires of the entire war.

but the boats itself? Not much nah.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mans posted:

120 amphibious landings, 120 Heroes of the Soviet Union, defenders of Stalingrad, Leningrad and Moscow and the best combat attires of the entire war.

but the boats itself? Not much nah.

Oh, yeah, I know their Marines were badass and a half.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Tagichatn posted:

I saw the pubbiest thing in a game earlier. There was a St. Louis shooting at torpedo bombers. At least he was shooting HE. In other news, the isokaze is amazing. 60+ knot torps are tough to dodge and some games I kill multiple battleships from 100%.

The Isokaze and maybe the Minekaze are kind of the peak of the destroyer tree on the IJN side for me. Being able to launch torpedoes from outside visual range that travel at 68 knots means just about anyone in a battleship that isn't paying full attention to their surroundings is going to eat 2-3 per salvo. If they start turning and getting creative, that means they probably aren't shooting at anyone now as well. Then its easy enough to leave them alone and shoot at someone near them for a bit.

This is kinda the only thing I really expect WGing to look into is seal clubbing stealth destroyers in the tier 3/4 bracket. I know it isn't fun for the person who suddenly gets a torpedo warning and then loses 80% of their health. Its a tough lesson to learn too, since for most people they manage to get a "what the gently caress was that" before exploding.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Main reason why I had Situation Awareness for North Carolina commander back in CBT. Something spotted you but no enemy around? 99% chance a destroyer is closing in for torp pooping. Still can't tell when the drat torp is launched so you get 5 seconds to minimize damage, or keep zig zagging until you hopefully see torpedo passing you.

They should just nerf concealment so destroyers can't poop torps well inside maximum range without being spotted at all. Got 10 km torp? Make them get spotted at 9 km.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

I finally get why people bitch about torpedoes so much. Just got out of a series of 5 games in my Wyoming where it was nothing but tier VI-VII carriers and destroyers just demolishing me with massive torpedo spam. Tiers I-III were all pretty awesome, but if all I have to look forward to in later tiers is weaving around torpedo clouds and point blank bombing runs then I'm definitely done with this game.

This was such a problem for me on the Fuso, I've switched out Main Battery Modification 2 for AA Guns Modification, and purchased the Steering Gear Modification. Also on preparation for the Nagato, I've gotten Advanced Fire Training on my captain. This has made the grind at least bearable as I can shoot at least one bomber down from a squadron before it starts laying down the hurt on me. I've been having much better games since then.

It's a sad life for battleship drivers piloting some of the slower and clumsier ones. Often I will try my best to vary up my speed, turn into and out of torpedo bombers/destroyers, but complete avoidance is impossible. When I get set on single and even double-fire stack, if I see a torpedo bomber on the map coming towards me, I will wait that fire out instead of repairing it because I know carriers look at me like I'm a big, fat, tasty snack.

Not complaining or anything, it's just a little frustrating when a Japanese carrier dumpsters on you all game. Which is what it's supposed to do, but it still sucks when it happens to you, dammit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This was a bit of a harsh one to lose. 124,000 damage done. It would have been the 1.5x as well.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/kXf8e8n.jpg][/timg]

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 10, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So, this guy was so adamant that I just had to share him with all of you:

And the game that spawned it:

(in hindsight I should've joined their TS and kept up with the 'deaf' thing and spoken to him in nothing but pings)

In other news, I have just been *printing* Confederates tonight. 50 +50% xp flags to burn on the Fuckutaka, since the Kuma is pure loving sex. Had a round earlier where I dodged a triple DD spread of torps at a range of less than 2km then just for shits gave him a full left-side broadside of mine when he smacked into an island.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 10, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

OSad posted:

This was such a problem for me on the Fuso, I've switched out Main Battery Modification 2 for AA Guns Modification, and purchased the Steering Gear Modification. Also on preparation for the Nagato, I've gotten Advanced Fire Training on my captain. This has made the grind at least bearable as I can shoot at least one bomber down from a squadron before it starts laying down the hurt on me. I've been having much better games since then.

It's a sad life for battleship drivers piloting some of the slower and clumsier ones. Often I will try my best to vary up my speed, turn into and out of torpedo bombers/destroyers, but complete avoidance is impossible. When I get set on single and even double-fire stack, if I see a torpedo bomber on the map coming towards me, I will wait that fire out instead of repairing it because I know carriers look at me like I'm a big, fat, tasty snack.

Not complaining or anything, it's just a little frustrating when a Japanese carrier dumpsters on you all game. Which is what it's supposed to do, but it still sucks when it happens to you, dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQQGx8ND8c

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I just started playing this today and am really liking American cruisers so far (Just unlocked the St. Louis). Do they continue to be awesome or would I be better off focusing on Battleships or maybe Japanese Cruisers instead?. I like having tons of guns and don't mind if I am not the tankiest thing in the world but I remember back when I played WoT certain medium tanks were worthless against half the enemy team and I want to avoid that if possible (if it's even a thing here).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
The Soviet Navy did actually do stuff in WWII. Not huge naval battles in the open waters stuff, but they did do stuff. The achievements of the tank forces and infantry tend to totally overshadow everything the RKKF, VVS, and fledgling VDV ever achieved during the war. I didn't realise the Soviets even made airborne assaults, let alone multiple ones, until recently - similarly I had no idea that they actually used their ships for anything much, or that they actually had anything other than refitted WWI relics.

xthetenth posted:

Gremyashchy, and it's already gone.

Atago's in the running too, IMO. Warspite is good, but not in the manner of the Type 59.

xthetenth posted:

But no seriously the French and Italians should be hilarious fun and it's annoying as hell that the horrible regime fan club needs to have their godawful ships in first.

If you aren't hyped for Soobrazitel'niy and Tashkent then I don't know what's wrong with you. I do want Nelson and my Tribals though, and the RM and MN ships look pretty neato. gently caress, I just want all the ships.

NTRabbit posted:

Bismarck should be tier 8, it's comparable in era to the North Carolina

Era has never factored into balancing much in any of the WG titles. The Hetzer turns up at tier 4 in WoT despite being a 1944 design - it's in a tier of largely early- to mid-30s tanks, along with a few other actual wartime designs. Postwar French SPGs appear at the same tier. Variants of Yaks and Spitfires that fought from 1943 on are tiered with Nazi fever dreams and early jet age fighters in WoWP. This is to say nothing of the existing mix of eras at each tier in WoWS. Balance is by combat characteristics, not date of design or service entry.

xthetenth posted:

It's gonna be hard to balance an air wing comprised entirely of lumber.

I wonder if they'll simulate how loving impossible it would be to land a 109 on a pitching deck when the things already tried to kill their pilots on prepared land-based airfields?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How am I supposed to defend against the enemy CV (usually japanese) immediately beelining toward my own carrier and torpedoing me?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sankis posted:

How am I supposed to defend against the enemy CV (usually japanese) immediately beelining toward my own carrier and torpedoing me?

By doing something other than being predictable and steaming *directly* for the most open (and undefended) water on your side of the map, or the most obvious hiding space (like a dead stop behind a well-known island). Try moving along the far side of the biggest blob of ships, trying your best to keep yourself in a position where - at least on egress - the enemy carrier's planes have to pass over at least *some* of your side's AA. Also, I don't know why CVs launch their fighters first thing and just have them putz around the loving map. Keep your fighters - or at least one squadron - back so you can launch them as soon as it's obvious you've got incoming. Then you can assign your previously launched squadron to engage the bombers from behind (hopefully), so you'll ultimately have them being engaged from two sides.

Always be moving, even if you're sailing in circles, ovals, or giant quadrilaterals, and never be too far from allies towards the end of the match, but never so close that you easily invite incoming fire. If anything, you being sighted might bring the enemy formation even closer to your allies' guns and help even the shittiest pubbie get a good bracket in. People hating carriers like they hate arty can be used to a strategic advantage, because so long as people are making GBS threads HE at you desperately trying to set you on fire, they're *not* shooting at your direct-fire assets.

Additionally, division up with another carrier in the lower tiers so you can augment each others' fighter cover to make up for poor flight management systems. One of you run a Langley, the other a Hosho, and switch back and forth until you've got the T5s unlocked.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 10, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
"A bunch of planes attacking me? Better just keep trucking in a straight line!" :cripes:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Aren't carriers the only type being limited to one per division?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah literally the very first patch for CBT limited CVs to one per division, and I'm pretty sure they never reverted it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Welp - shows how long it's been since I've played a carrier. vOv

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rossmum posted:

Era has never factored into balancing much in any of the WG titles. The Hetzer turns up at tier 4 in WoT despite being a 1944 design - it's in a tier of largely early- to mid-30s tanks, along with a few other actual wartime designs. Postwar French SPGs appear at the same tier. Variants of Yaks and Spitfires that fought from 1943 on are tiered with Nazi fever dreams and early jet age fighters in WoWP. This is to say nothing of the existing mix of eras at each tier in WoWS. Balance is by combat characteristics, not date of design or service entry.

To be fair though, the Hetzer is more an exception to the rule, rather than the rule itself, and France has that problem of being conquered and having no in-war tank designs to put in the middle. Most of the way through the trees vehicles of comparable era have matched tiers, because they were trying to achieve similar things with broadly the same technical limitations.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 10, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Chiefly because combat capability scaled upwards with time in the majority of cases. If you look at WoWS this rule of capability rather than era is also true, as it is in WoWP.

When you try to balance by era, you end up with War Thunder - namely a horribly imbalanced mess where everyone whines worse than the WG official forums could even imagine and the gameplay only kind of works because of the great equaliser of "realism". Well-flown Chaikas routinely beat up on much more advanced aircraft and T-50s can delete Panthers in a single shot if handled well - good luck doing anything comparable in WG's more "gamey" titles.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Aesis posted:

Main reason why I had Situation Awareness for North Carolina commander back in CBT. Something spotted you but no enemy around? 99% chance a destroyer is closing in for torp pooping. Still can't tell when the drat torp is launched so you get 5 seconds to minimize damage, or keep zig zagging until you hopefully see torpedo passing you.

They should just nerf concealment so destroyers can't poop torps well inside maximum range without being spotted at all. Got 10 km torp? Make them get spotted at 9 km.

Naw. If you are predictable enough for the 20+ seconds it takes for a torpedo to travel 10 kilometers and hit you even after it gives you warning of its arrival at 1km out, you deserve the 17k damage it deals. There's an assload of ways to not get torped. Play a high tier IJN DD, you'll know what I'm talking about. They only get 2 shots to hit you, and then its a 40+ second wait to try again.

Anyways, I've finally warmed up to the Myogi. Its an ok ship. Its hard to do well with until you start memorizing the ranges at which you should lead targets, but once you do it can rain down some pain on people. It's main weakness is its ridiculous dispersion, which is manageable once you start firing on things at 12km or less. It also doesn't have a lot of guns, meaning every miss hurts. The Wyoming has it a lot easier with more guns and thicker armor to brawl with in that 12km range where the shots get more accurate. The Myogi is unparalleled , however, at dropping shells on the decks of CVs who got too close to the fight. If it lands on the deck and pens straight down, its virtually a guaranteed citadel. I hope the Kongo has better accuracy.

Also, I bought a Hosho. I am bad at CVs. Why do all my planes die so fast? :smith:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So, this guy was so adamant that I just had to share him with all of you:

And the game that spawned it:

(in hindsight I should've joined their TS and kept up with the 'deaf' thing and spoken to him in nothing but pings)

In other news, I have just been *printing* Confederates tonight. 50 +50% xp flags to burn on the Fuckutaka, since the Kuma is pure loving sex. Had a round earlier where I dodged a triple DD spread of torps at a range of less than 2km then just for shits gave him a full left-side broadside of mine when he smacked into an island.

Did you send this pubby a random message because he sucked in that game?

The only one that comes off looking like an idiot here is you, really.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hopterque posted:

Did you send this pubby a random message because he sucked in that game?

The only one that comes off looking like an idiot here is you, really.

No, he was being a cock in the game, telling me to come to his TS (so he could say the same poo poo he ended up saying in text) and generally 'bro'ing' it up and using the "what did you do" line in-game. So when I saw that he'd practically done nothing, I decided to goad him a bit.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 10, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Hazdoc posted:

Naw. If you are predictable enough for the 20+ seconds it takes for a torpedo to travel 10 kilometers and hit you even after it gives you warning of its arrival at 1km out, you deserve the 17k damage it deals. There's an assload of ways to not get torped. Play a high tier IJN DD, you'll know what I'm talking about. They only get 2 shots to hit you, and then its a 40+ second wait to try again.
Yeah I think I can count how many times I've been hit by long range torpedo shots on one hand. Most of the time I'm not even trying to dodge them I'm just maneuvering against other targets and oh look torpedoes just whizzing by because at that range even minor changes to course and speed means most of the torps are going to miss.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do sort of wish that the US and Japan had an alternate DD line that focused on anti-air-focused fits. No torpedoes, just a shitload of varying-sized AAA, including the main batteries. Sail them along with battleship formations, or hang back and screen for the carriers as well as provide anti-DD support with direct fire.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

So what are they going to do for Russian and German Carrier lines? All paper lineups, or just skip them entirely?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Artless Meat posted:

So what are they going to do for Russian and German Carrier lines? All paper lineups, or just skip them entirely?

The Germans have more fleshed-out napkin lineups than the Russians.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Artless Meat posted:

New tier 2:

Tier 10:

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do sort of wish that the US and Japan had an alternate DD line that focused on anti-air-focused fits. No torpedoes, just a shitload of varying-sized AAA, including the main batteries. Sail them along with battleship formations, or hang back and screen for the carriers as well as provide anti-DD support with direct fire.

Add the Wyoming as a premium after it was converted to an AA training ship.

quote:

Over the course of the war, Wyoming trained an estimated 35,000 gunners on seven different types of guns: 5-inch, 3-inch, 1.1-inch, 40-millimeter, and 20-millimeter weapons. Due to her extensive use as a gunnery training ship, she claimed the distinction of firing more ammunition than any other ship in the fleet during the war.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

rossmum posted:

When you try to balance by era, you end up with War Thunder

Yeah it sure would be awful if things turned out like that incredibly excellent game that was significantly more fun than its respective Wargaming competitors :can:

I'm really enjoying botes, so I'm incredibly excited for when Gaijin inevitably comes out with their better version :sun:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
How lag sensitive is this game? I'm tempted to make a American account (living in Sweden) because playing russian games on european servers means 24/7 noone speaks english and swears at me for trying :smith:

e: vvv Sweet, thanks!

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 10, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Zsinjeh posted:

How lag sensitive is this game? I'm tempted to make a American account (living in Sweden) because playing russian games on european servers means 24/7 noone speaks english and swears at me for trying :smith:

I play on the US servers from Germany and it's been a non-issue for me, totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah it sure would be awful if things turned out like that incredibly excellent game that was significantly more fun than its respective Wargaming competitors :can:

I'm really enjoying botes, so I'm incredibly excited for when Gaijin inevitably comes out with their better version :sun:

I was about to say something about this too. I thought War Thunder was more fun than WoT myself (never played WoPlanes so no idea there)