Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Don't skip any part of Jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rodyle posted:

That sounds like "gently caress it Rodyle, who cares about Italy and Prison, give into your basic instincts and go read about the President Tries to Conquer Cowboy World!"

you can skip Italy for now, but skipping Prison would be a mistake

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

dogsicle posted:

you can skip Italy for now, but skipping Prison would be a mistake
Doesn't the end of Stone Ocean mean SBR is totally unrelated? Jojolion is probably another story though.

E: this is not to say I would never read Stone Ocean, just not before Vento Aureo unless those two are also totally unrelated.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Doesn't the end of Stone Ocean mean SBR is totally unrelated? Jojolion is probably another story though.

it's not about them being related, SO is just really good so there's no real reason to skip it

there's one joke reference to Part 5 in SO, so for all intents and purposes those two are unrelated

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

stone ocean is good but there is a lot of fight fatigue so be warned

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The first two volumes also have pretty bad translations and scans, it gets better quickly but it's still quite annoying.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
yeah Stone Ocean fights tend to run together a lot so it can easily trick you into just going and going until you're sick of it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i had to take a two day break after the pee fighter

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The first two volumes also have pretty bad translations and scans, it gets better quickly but it's still quite annoying.

Of SO or VA?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Honestly, I hate to say it, but Stone Ocean is my second least favorite part behind Phantom Blood. That's not to say I dislike it, but I dunno. I think there's something about that last half that I just didn't like, and I'm not sure what it is.

Maybe it's the setting or tone? When I think about part 6, I don't think of it as being as "colorful" as the other parts, if that makes any sense. It was all sort of gritty. I'm not referring to the visuals, just the feeling I got from it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Of SO or VA?

Stone Ocean.

All of VA's translation is pretty poor from what I remember, though I think there has been a translation group working on it recently. But I have no idea where they're up to.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am a huge, huge baby about bad scans these days, so I think I will set 5 and 6 aside until they're all patched up then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They've nearly finished Purple Haze/Man in the Mirror.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Jolyne is the best JoJo, she's as cool as Jotaro wishes he was. SO kinda does have pacing problems, the whole stretch from the Punishment Ward to Green Babby to the break out is good but fuckin' exhausting.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

That sounds like "gently caress it Rodyle, who cares about Italy and Prison, give into your basic instincts and go read The President Tries to Conquer Cowboy World!"

Parts 5, 6, and 7 can be read in whatever order you want, and won't really change your enjoyment of them individually, so do whatever your heart tells you to.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part 5 and 6 both suffer from some third act fatigue in my opinion.

Start strong, stay strong, end weak.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stone Ocean's latter third is by far its best. It's all uphill when they leave the prison. It has some great highlights in the prison, but some of it isn't great (for JoJo).

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Planet Waves is probably the best fight in the whole part, or at least top 3.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rodyle posted:

I am a huge, huge baby about bad scans these days, so I think I will set 5 and 6 aside until they're all patched up then.

I don't remember SO having bad scans though

Did it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The first couple of volumes are quite bad. SO is done in full colour though so if you don't mind those, it's not an issue.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

Planet Waves is probably the best fight in the whole part, or at least top 3.

Planet Waves loving owns a lot, and the only real competition it has in the prison arc at least is Jail House Rock. I am rather partial to the Bohemian Rhapsody and Underground fights though. The former because it is a completely ridiculous stand power and a lot of it is hilarious and the latter because the stunt Hermes and Jolyne pull off in the plane is one of the best and most creative uses of stand powers in the whole series.

Stone Ocean has some pretty good fights in general, particularly with Jolyne since she has my favourite stand power out of all the protagonists. If only because it's such a simple ability that is used in so many inventive ways.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Bohemian Rhapsody is jojo as hell but Planet Waves is loving visceral start to finish, eyeball and toenail damage are gruesome. Westwood looks like a walking corpse by the end.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How popular is Jojo in Japan? Like the entire series overall. Is it held in high regard?

It's one of Shueisha's top ten best-sellers, so it's pretty dang popular. Also, as mentioned, it has been influential as all hell.

Rodyle posted:

The scans for part 6 are good, and besides that skipping parts is for uncool people.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 5 and 6 both suffer from some third act fatigue in my opinion.

Start strong, stay strong, end weak.

The only real complaint I have is that the final fight kind of sucks once Pucci gets powered up. Nobody can touch him until Emporio owns him at the end so it just feels like a really weak ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact that Pucci gets upgraded to be ridiculously powerful and actually is ridiculously powerful is great. It happens way too often in basically everything where the villain becomes godly but gets squashed anyway.

There's also the fact that despite having Made in Heaven, Pucci still has to think about how to dismantle the Joestar group because he would still lose if he didn't do it properly. He straight up says to Jotaro before he kills him that Star Platinum would have had him if he hadn't attacked Jolyne first and the stuff with how he uses Annasui. The Joestars getting out Joestar'd is good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pucci is still loving weird as a villain though. Because he keeps succeeding and stumbling into ultimate power through the use of nonsensical and obtuse shenanigans that don't make sense, and only work because gravity loves him or whatever.

I still like the dude and I like how full-in Araki goes with the Gravity thing but it still makes for a pretty lame final battle I think. If only because the C-Moon fight is really great and then he just ends up upgrading his stand through nonsense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Suddenly flying into the air on a window frame or some poo poo and landing on a space shuttle and coming out of it with a horsey that can annihilate the universe is pretty peak JoJo.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Stone Ocean is good so far. It's no Diamond is Unbreakable though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurain posted:

The fact that Pucci gets upgraded to be ridiculously powerful and actually is ridiculously powerful is great. It happens way too often in basically everything where the villain becomes godly but gets squashed anyway.

There's also the fact that despite having Made in Heaven, Pucci still has to think about how to dismantle the Joestar group because he would still lose if he didn't do it properly. He straight up says to Jotaro before he kills him that Star Platinum would have had him if he hadn't attacked Jolyne first and the stuff with how he uses Annasui. The Joestars getting out Joestar'd is good.

The problem is he becomes literally untouchable as soon as he gets powered up. Even Kira and Dio got hit when they were at their strongest before losing. Pucci just godmodes himself.

This is probably the same problem I have with the Diavolo fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's not literally untouchable because he's fully aware that he's still vulnerable to the brief time-stop and has to circumvent it. He doesn't get hit, true, but there was an avenue for them to get him. He successfully eliminates that method and he wins because of it. It's written to be that the Joestars get steamrolled so they do. Pucci dies when he gets outplayed like basically every villain.

Kira doesn't get hit (outside of when Josuke gets the drop on him at the beginning) until his strategies are figured out either, and DIO only starts to get hit because he's bullheaded and wanted to go toe to toe with Star Platinum to test The World.

GER is definitely too much of an "I win" though. Though that too is the point, with the pinnacle of Part 5 being a race to use the arrow.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Aurora posted:

The problem is he becomes literally untouchable as soon as he gets powered up. Even Kira and Dio got hit when they were at their strongest before losing. Pucci just godmodes himself.

This is probably the same problem I have with the Diavolo fight.

Pucci is a pretty well written chracter for JoJo, you get a lot of flashbacks showing why he's damagaed how he is.Araki's chioce to have the Joestar bloodline lose finally was great for the series.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

Pucci is a pretty well written chracter for JoJo, you get a lot of flashbacks showing why he's damagaed how he is.Araki's chioce to have the Joestar bloodline lose finally was great for the series.

I want my favorite Jojo to have a good final fight :(

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I still would have loved to see a showdown between GER and Made in Heaven, come to think of it Part 6 starring Giorno as the Jojo would have been interesting not that I didn't enjoy Jolyne

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Aurora posted:

Right place, wrong time

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't think it's really possible to have a good fight with GER. Its entire existence is that of a foregone victory.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

Some parts of Pucci are pretty well written in that you can kind of follow the logic behind him becoming the special brand of nuts he is by the series start, but I don't know if everything surrounding his development is exactly well-written.

Basically everything to do with him is pure insanity and beyond peak Jojo though, so it can be fun from that angle and I personally like him a lot. But still he's a goddamn weird character.

Aurora posted:

Same. I do like that outside of Emporio at the very end, she's the only person to really get one over on Pucci and Made in Heaven, but i'd have loved to see her punch Pucci's stupid face in.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Pucci is still loving weird as a villain though. Because he keeps succeeding and stumbling into ultimate power through the use of nonsensical and obtuse shenanigans that don't make sense, and only work because gravity loves him or whatever.

The bullshit no evidence whatsoever theory I have going at the moment is that the story we see is actually the second universe iteration of Stairway to Heaven, but something went wrong (maybe Pucci got killed during Jotaros time stop or something which interfered with the universe reset idk) and no one remembers. So all of Pucci's destiny shenanigans are the stand ensuring things play out to the point that the magic horse is completed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Prison Warden posted:

The bullshit no evidence whatsoever theory I have going at the moment is that the story we see is actually the second universe iteration of Stairway to Heaven, but something went wrong (maybe Pucci got killed during Jotaros time stop or something which interfered with the universe reset idk) and no one remembers. So all of Pucci's destiny shenanigans are the stand ensuring things play out to the point that the magic horse is completed.

But then wouldn't it have looped like it did at the end when Emporio killed him with Weather Report?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Stone Ocean honestly ranks pretty low imo but Jolyene is my third favorite JoJo on a bad day, so it's worth the read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Rodyle posted:

That sounds like "gently caress it Rodyle, who cares about Italy and Prison, give into your basic instincts and go read The President Tries to Conquer Cowboy World!"

Part 6 has a good translation, and is amazing. You can safely skip part 5, but don't skip part 6.

Edit: Should probably refresh before posting

CaptianKatsura fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 10, 2015