Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I suppose that's a matter of how crunchy you want it. To me, 5 minutes is going to be pretty soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Haha, fair enough. I prefer to throw them in less than a minute before serving but I get complaints about how crunchy they are. Five minutes usually makes a good compromise with my guests. v:shobon:v

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm looking for crunch since the rest of everything is gonna be pretty soft, so I'll toss them in right at the end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Who on earth complains about crunchy bell peppers? :psyduck:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

Who on earth complains about crunchy bell peppers? :psyduck:

People raised on institutional food. To some, peppers are just limp slivers of color.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Under a minute of cooking sounds like you'd basically have raw bell peppers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well yeah. That's the point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Suspect Bucket posted:

People raised on institutional food. To some, peppers are just limp slivers of color.

They are going to be pissed when they hit the mushrooms and onions

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
Any one have any insight into why this recipe went so horribly wrong?

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/2b49a2z6/luci-johnson-nugents-chocolate-wedding-cake.html

This is a recipe that my grandma used to make all the time. Or at least, she made what she referred to as "Luci Johnson cake." This seems to be the consensus recipe. I'm not the most experienced baker but I followed it very carefully. The batter turned out very thin and soupy. I tried baking it anyway but it never really firmed up the way it should have. I remember this cake being very moist and dense. Any ideas of how I ran afoul?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Okay, I'm cooking something in a stainless steel pot that starts with butter and adds: vidalia onion, sliced mushrooms, garlic, jalapeno, and diced red bell pepper.

- I want the onion and mushrooms to brown and caramelize fully.
- I want the red bell pepper to be crunchy and sweet, but not to caramelize.
- I want the garlic and jalapeno to add flavor without either overpowering the dish or burning.
- I need to cook everything in a single pot.

In what order should I add the ingredients, and how long do you recommend I add to each step.

don't start with butter, use oil instead. butter has so much water content that it won't brown stuff nearly as well. Add the butter after the onion and mushroom.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mushrooms and onions together for a long time. Jalapeno when they've just caramelized, let cook for a few minutes, then add the garlic for a minute. Add the bell pepper, cook for 30 seconds, serve.

I agree with this post about peppers. Just barely heated bell peppers with a lot of crunch to them are the best.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Any one have any insight into why this recipe went so horribly wrong?

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/2b49a2z6/luci-johnson-nugents-chocolate-wedding-cake.html

This is a recipe that my grandma used to make all the time. Or at least, she made what she referred to as "Luci Johnson cake." This seems to be the consensus recipe. I'm not the most experienced baker but I followed it very carefully. The batter turned out very thin and soupy. I tried baking it anyway but it never really firmed up the way it should have. I remember this cake being very moist and dense. Any ideas of how I ran afoul?

How long did you bake it? That's pretty much the same as my standby perfect chocolate cake from A Family Raised on Sunshine. Only difference is it uses chocolate, instead of (more) butter and cocoa powder. If you had 2 cups of flour and sugar it certainly should have turned into a cake.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What on earth does adding boiling water do? And I don't recall adding water to cake before - but I'm not a baker.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

What on earth does adding boiling water do? And I don't recall adding water to cake before - but I'm not a baker.

The Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe uses boiling water. It also has a crazy thin batter that you don't think could possibly make good cake, but it in fact makes an awesome cake. But it uses cocoa powder (which I assume is why it uses boiling water).

edit: recipe:

2 cups sugar
1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
3⁄4 cup cocoa, Hershey's
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup water, boiling

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 350 degrees, Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "Perfectly Chocolate" chocolate frosting.
"Perfectly Chocolate"
Cake Variations:.
One-Pan cake: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
Three Layer Cake: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
Bundt Cake: Grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
Cupcakes: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. Makes about 30 cupcakes.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
I have a soup recipe involving lentils. I have instructions for what to do if the lentils are dry, but what if I've been soaking them for a couple of hours beforehand? Does it impact the amount of water I need to use, or is it just cooking time?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What kind of lentils? This is important.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What kind of lentils? This is important.

Oh! I wasn't aware. They're Brown lentils.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've never soaked brown lentils. I just cook them like white rice. They've always come out fine. The ratio's like, what...1 C lentil to 1.5/1.75 C water and low-simmer for twenty/twenty-five minutes before turning off the heat and letting them sit for another five or ten minutes.

If they're wet - and subsequently a little softer - just add a scoonch less water. I doubt it matters much.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It varies by age and type. I've had brown lentils that were still hard after 30-40 min.
Ideally do a test batch on their own to see what your particular sourced ones do.
e: I ended up soaking mine and 9 min in a pressure cooker

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So as I've said before I'm forcing myself on beans. Haven't had a bad experience yet. I have a bunch of dry black beans that I should probably eat for dinner tomorrow. Should I just cook them for the Time it Takes and then add sauteed onion and garlic? Or add that during the cook? Or what? I honestly have not actually done this before. The closest was taking a can of beans and saying "that sounds dumb" and dumping garlic + onion powder in it and it was actually great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So as I've said before I'm forcing myself on beans. Haven't had a bad experience yet. I have a bunch of dry black beans that I should probably eat for dinner tomorrow. Should I just cook them for the Time it Takes and then add sauteed onion and garlic? Or add that during the cook? Or what? I honestly have not actually done this before. The closest was taking a can of beans and saying "that sounds dumb" and dumping garlic + onion powder in it and it was actually great.

I would soak the beans overnight, then when you're ready to start cooking the beans, saute some onion, garlic, and cumin, maybe some green peppers, oregano, achiote, whatever. Add the soaked beans and coat well with aromatics, then add your stock and cook until they're done. There might be a better, more aromatic way to do it, but that's what I've done.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What is it with onion powder? Is there any reason to use it instead of an onion, barring laziness?

Maybe in a Bloody Mary? I honestly don't know what it's for.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

What is it with onion powder? Is there any reason to use it instead of an onion, barring laziness?

For dry things, like rubs and flours, mostly. Everything else is likely laziness. But they have different tastes, so if someone likes the taste the powder adds to a dish, more power to them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rubs

I also think someone posted something about either onion powder or garlic powder having some type of unique interaction in baking. I cannot find that again though.

Found it

http://www.pizzatoday.com/industry-news/dough-snapback/

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 10, 2015

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Scientastic posted:

Why use paprika powder instead of bell peppers?

I really associate it with fast food flavours. Breaded chicken pieces with onion powder, garlic and paprika taste almost exactly like the cheapass chicken fingers I loved as a kid. :buddy:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I bought a big chunk of nice cheese like three months ago. And its getting moldy in spots.

Am I right in my assumption that its cool to just cut those parts off and keep using it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

I bought a big chunk of nice cheese like three months ago. And its getting moldy in spots.

Am I right in my assumption that its cool to just cut those parts off and keep using it?

Absolutely, yes - but for semi-soft to hard cheeses. Soft cheese should be trashed to be safe. Store it better if you don't want more mold. Airtight, wrapped in saran wrap or something as well.

If it's reddish/pinkish/orange-ish mold, throw the cheese away - that's toxic (or just cut off more to be safe). Blues and greens and dark colors are fine (for what it is).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 10, 2015

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Coolio. I'll cut it off and wrap it in saran.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Lentils turned out fine, thanks for the help.

I was a bit worried because I had tried this recipe last year but it didn't really turn out the way I wanted to. It was more of a potato and lentil casserole rather than the beautiful creamy thing I was looking for. I thought maybe it was because the lentils weren't breaking down due to not being soft enough/cooked through enough. Turns out that my big mistake last time was doing it in the slow cooker. Did it in the stock pot this time, great result, I'd say 8/10.

Happy to post the recipe if there are any other southern hemisphere goons freezing their nuts off along side me.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

It's good for dry rubs and spice mixtures. In addition to the onion flavor, it adds a bit of sweetness. Sometimes I'll put both fresh onions and powder into things like meatballs and meatloaf.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Lentils turned out fine, thanks for the help.

I was a bit worried because I had tried this recipe last year but it didn't really turn out the way I wanted to. It was more of a potato and lentil casserole rather than the beautiful creamy thing I was looking for. I thought maybe it was because the lentils weren't breaking down due to not being soft enough/cooked through enough. Turns out that my big mistake last time was doing it in the slow cooker. Did it in the stock pot this time, great result, I'd say 8/10.

Happy to post the recipe if there are any other southern hemisphere goons freezing their nuts off along side me.

Please do! I'm in the northern hemisphere and thus currently melting, but we are All About Lentils in this house and lentil potato stew sounds good!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I like it in a creamy veggie dip along with some minced garlic, chives and salt and sour cream. I tried to replace it before using either minced raw onion, sauteed onion or carmelized onion and honestly none worked quite as well. Also use it for brisket and rib rubs like everyone else already mentioned.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Micomicona posted:

Please do! I'm in the northern hemisphere and thus currently melting, but we are All About Lentils in this house and lentil potato stew sounds good!

Done!

(Also if anybody has any suggestions on ways to improve/add to this, I'd appreciate the pointers. I got this recipe off my Dad and it would be great to show him up a bit)

Ingredients - Amount
Brown Lentils - 1 cup
onion chopped - 1 Large
Celery chopped - 2 sticks
Potatoes diced - 3 to 4 medium size
Butter (roux) - 50g (big knob)
Plain flour (roux) - 2 tbs
Sour cream - 1 cup
Parsley fresh - sprig to garnish
salt, pepper - to taste

Method:
1. Wash lentils/I guess soak them if you want to*
2. Add 8 cups of water with celery, onions, potatoes in large pot.
3. Bring to boil, allow to simmer for one and half hours or until nearly cooked.**
4. When nearly cooked, make roux.
5. When lentils are cooked, slowly add roux.
6. Remove from heat and gradually stir in Sour Cream.***
7. Garnish & serve.

* I ended up soaking them for about 5 hours with a pinch of salt in a covered container. I have no clue if it did anything, I'll skip soaking them next time and just give them a good rinse.
**I also added a small amount of veggie stock, salt and pepper at this stage. Also don't be shy when stirring.
*** I used greek yoghurt instead of sour cream because I am both poor and a huge hippy. Still worked really well though. I might use Sour Cream next time for comparisons sake though. Also I am not kidding about taking it off the heat before you add the cream/yoghurt.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Scientastic posted:

Lazy and also there's no onions on hand. I'm trying to clean out the fridge/pantry and eat as much stuff we already own because we're about to leave for 2 weeks, so gotta eat most of this stuff now or it goes bad.

I realize that dry beans will not in fact go bad but they're part of a broader meal idea.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I'm meeting up with relatives tomorrow afternoon that I haven't seen in almost 10 years, and I'd like to make something to impress them/prove I haven't been wasting my time in kitchens. I'm thinking of hand foods and gravitating towards chicken empanadas. Anyone have some bulletproof empanada filling recipes, or suggestions as to other quick-ish (slow cooked meats are out) hand foods I can make tomorrow morning? I'll be grocery shopping/going to the farmers market beforehand, so I can pick up pretty much anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm meeting up with relatives tomorrow afternoon that I haven't seen in almost 10 years, and I'd like to make something to impress them/prove I haven't been wasting my time in kitchens. I'm thinking of hand foods and gravitating towards chicken empanadas. Anyone have some bulletproof empanada filling recipes, or suggestions as to other quick-ish (slow cooked meats are out) hand foods I can make tomorrow morning? I'll be grocery shopping/going to the farmers market beforehand, so I can pick up pretty much anything.

Any kind of spiced ground meat with sauteed vegetables and some other items for texture (crispy noodles / toasted chopped nuts etc) in lettuce wraps is a decent quick go-to.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Well, I have certainly something new about onion powder. Thanks GWS!

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I've only ever used it in dip (for potato chips etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Well, I have certainly something new about onion powder. Thanks GWS!

It's always good to something new.