Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical
Mar 19, 2007

If your going to Comic Con please come and say Hi. I'll be around all weekend and attending the panel. Other rick and Morty Artists are coming too.

Typical fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rocksicles posted:

I have no use for blurays.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/rick-morty-season-1/616794/

i mean to my knowledge there's no way to actually watch the show in Australia outside of buying the season whenever it comes out but goddamn if you enjoy the show and don't buy it on day one then you're a dirty bastard.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I find all Seth McFarlane shows to be much more entertaining if I don't watch the first 10 minutes.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
The pre-network-change episodes of American Dad are actually pretty good, as hard as it is to say. I watched the original episodes back when they aired and took it as a re-skinned Family Guy, but it grew into itself. Mainly it doesn't seem have the expected pile of obvious time wasting gags. It's hard to go from watching Futurama/Community episodes with commentaries where they lament things they cut to watching a Family Guy episode where they burn a minute or more on the same bit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/rick-morty-season-1/616794/

i mean to my knowledge there's no way to actually watch the show in Australia outside of buying the season whenever it comes out but goddamn if you enjoy the show and don't buy it on day one then you're a dirty bastard.

BluRay players here in Australia are down to sub-$100 levels now anyway. It's kinda silly not to have one.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

ultramiraculous posted:

The pre-network-change episodes of American Dad are actually pretty good, as hard as it is to say. I watched the original episodes back when they aired and took it as a re-skinned Family Guy, but it grew into itself. Mainly it doesn't seem have the expected pile of obvious time wasting gags. It's hard to go from watching Futurama/Community episodes with commentaries where they lament things they cut to watching a Family Guy episode where they burn a minute or more on the same bit.

I used to watch Family Guy, but haven't been able to ever since South Park did their two-parter explaining how FG was "written" by manatees. I can't watch it anymore because the randomness time-wasting is so obvious. SNL did something similar to me during a Christopher Walken episode with the "more Cowbell" bit. Now I cannot hear "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" without being aware of the cowbell.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SwissCM posted:

BluRay players here in Australia are down to sub-$100 levels now anyway. It's kinda silly not to have one.

I have a Steve Jobs cock smoking coworker who refuses to get a BluRay.

"Apple devices don't use them."

Yeah, because Jobs was a greedy rear end in a top hat who decided to completely forgo a media generation in the hopes people would by substandard poo poo on the crapple store.

Yet here we are, many years later, and the BluRay is still going. It is true that it will probably be the last major hard media, but it's not going away any time soon.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

ultramiraculous posted:

Around season 4 or 5 it got really, really good. Roger the Alien is one of the best characters in television writing history.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Funkmaster General posted:

I agree with you except KOTH, American Dad, and Aqua Teen are all fantastic. Also fantastic: Bob's Burgers. Actually the only things on the lineup that I think are complete wastes of space are Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, Robot Chicken, and at least half of the toonami lineup.
I was going to write almost exactly this so I have nothing more to add other than to congratulate you on your Good And Correct Opinions.

And American Dad is amazing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I found someone on UK Amazon selling the Australian blurays a few weeks ago and jumped on it, it even came with a Good Morty book

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anyone remember Brickleberry? It's like they took Family Guy and surgically removed any hint of awareness or energy from it. It tried so hard to be offensive at every turn and managed to be as outrageous as a bowl of unseasoned gruel. That it lasted three seasons is incredible.

I haven't seen Allen Gregory, so I don't know how they stack up.

It has a lot less to do with ratings and more with Comedy Central looking for any excuse to suck off Daniel Tosh.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Did daniel tosh burn himself yet by doing that thing where he says "we'll be back with more [cancelled comedy central show]"

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

you guys don't even know whats in store for you this season

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Elentor posted:

I just realized the moon men song is basically about his plan to eradicate carbon-based life-form from the universe.

I just re-listened to it and nothing sounds like that. Can you explain?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Typical posted:

Brain swap episode?

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Typical posted:

I get asked this a lot. Its sort of a life long process and involves a lot of dedication. but its super fun and rewarding. I think the easiest answer i can give you is to start drawing more. and make your own comics. Just get your ideas on paper and be funny. and don't worry about what other people think. Just aim to entertain. The rest is highly debated but you learn as you go

I have a friend who's just getting into animation and it looks really tough, I'm super impressed every time I see what she's up to. I hope she gets a job working for a cool show like this so I can tell people I know someone working on it. :3:

(I have real high aspirations)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krinkle posted:

I just re-listened to it and nothing sounds like that. Can you explain?

I think all the talk about "cosmos without hatred" means wiping out all life. "All the moonmen want things their way, but we make sure they see the sun." could be referencing life not wanting to be eradicated, but the Farts know it must happen anyways?

Haha I don't loving know it's probably just gibberish that sounds profound.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a Steve Jobs cock smoking coworker who refuses to get a BluRay.

"Apple devices don't use them."

Yeah, because Jobs was a greedy rear end in a top hat who decided to completely forgo a media generation in the hopes people would by substandard poo poo on the crapple store.

Yet here we are, many years later, and the BluRay is still going. It is true that it will probably be the last major hard media, but it's not going away any time soon.

Wait, they still make Blu Rays? I haven't bought one in years. I think the last one I bought was for my dad. Are you my dad?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dumb millennials may find this hard to understand, but some of us like to actually own the things we pay money for. Digital poo poo is also almost always lower quality and lacking supplements.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dumb millennials may find this hard to understand, but some of us like to actually own the things we pay money for. Digital poo poo is also almost always lower quality and lacking supplements.

Owning a disc is no less permanent than owning a hard drive with the disc's data on it. All things are impermanent; your physical object is but an artifact of your fear of change.

That said, I do miss DVD extras.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Owning a disc is no less permanent than owning a hard drive with the disc's data on it. All things are impermanent; your physical object is but an artifact of your fear of change.

A standard BR disc kept in it's case is far less fragile than a hard drive, especially if it isn't flash memory. If given the choice between spending $22 on a bunch of files I can only download from a single source and only authorize on 5 machines at a time, or spend the same on a physical disc that I can take anywhere with ease or lend to a friend, I choose the disc every single time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's moot anyways. Most of the time the blu-ray is cheaper AND comes with the same digital copy you would pay more for by itself.

Case in point. The Rick and Morty blu-ray is $14.99 on Amazon right now and comes with a digital copy for UV. Buying a digital version of Rick and Morty costs $21.99 on Vudu, $19.99 on Google Play and $21.99 on iTunes.

The only place where it's price parity with its digital counterpart is on Amazon. But why pay even the same amount and get less?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 10, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yes, all things are impermanent. But the line between owning a DVD or Blu-ray that will last for decades as long as you don't gently caress it up and having a file on a mechanical device that can fail in a dozen different ways even if you don't do anything wrong isn't exactly razor-thin. Physical objects are not an artifact of the fear of change. They're simply the closest thing to a permanent archival medium the average consumer has access to.

As for DVD extras, don't miss them. They're still out there, waiting for you. They've been trying to get a hold of you, too. They miss you.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Typical posted:

Oh my god, Rick gets ear buds.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Are you being sarcastic?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Buy the Blu-ray and rip it to your hard drive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Megaspel posted:

Are you being sarcastic?

I wish.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Krinkle posted:

Did daniel tosh burn himself yet by doing that thing where he says "we'll be back with more [cancelled comedy central show]"

He stopped doing that a couple of seasons ago, I think he moved on to "lines that were banned by the censors that we can use now because they're out of context". It's not particularly funny.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

tarlibone posted:

Yes, all things are impermanent. But the line between owning a DVD or Blu-ray that will last for decades

Theoretically, sure, but are you really going to have a bluray player hooked up and in use 30 years from now? You won't have moved on to something way, way, better?

Let me ask it this way: Do you still have a VHS player hooked up now? How much benefit are you getting from your old video tapes these days?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Typical posted:

I regret nothing. all that terrible bad art served its purpose. I still make bad art these days too, but more infrequently. also i look forward to sharing what I can when the episodes air

key word "WHEN THEY AIR"

I am super glad you guys liked the episodes though. and thank you to any one who buys the DVDS.

Stuff like Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, that's the kind of stuff DVD's were made for.

I want to give projects like those more of my money, just so I can hear them talk more about their passion projects, and go through all the special features.

I never thought I'd see anything like Rick and Morty on my Television. It blows my mind.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

XboxPants posted:

Theoretically, sure, but are you really going to have a bluray player hooked up and in use 30 years from now? You won't have moved on to something way, way, better?

Let me ask it this way: Do you still have a VHS player hooked up now? How much benefit are you getting from your old video tapes these days?

u just buy all the vhs stuff on blu ray

only watch vhs movies on a cRT

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

tarlibone posted:

Yes, all things are impermanent. But the line between owning a DVD or Blu-ray that will last for decades as long as you don't gently caress it up and having a file on a mechanical device that can fail in a dozen different ways even if you don't do anything wrong isn't exactly razor-thin. Physical objects are not an artifact of the fear of change. They're simply the closest thing to a permanent archival medium the average consumer has access to.

As for DVD extras, don't miss them. They're still out there, waiting for you. They've been trying to get a hold of you, too. They miss you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_6yvbbeh75e_e

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

You got me there. In 30 years, there may be a new medium. Or new media may be out, and it might all be on the cloud, which will be great as long as nothing ever goes wrong. But I'm willing to bet that Blu-rays will still be popular for a while yet, and I know that the ones I own will have some value as long as I still have a functioning player. Seeing as how you can still obtain a working VHS player with very little trouble all these years after the complete obsolescence of VHS, I'm pretty sure I won't be hurting for players until several years after my death.

So, it's all good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't own a bluray player. My media is purely digital, it suits my lifestyle and i can take it anywhere any time. I haven't bought a CD in 10 years

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think still buying blu-rays is like people that still buy collector's editions of their video games. They come with physical things like soundtracks and art books, or independent comic books that don't go anywhere, busts of the main character.

Some people just want to buy the game, so they buy digital, and some people want all that "stuff" so they buy the collector's edition. Same goes for blu-rays and DVDs, some people want all of those special features, those commentary tracks, because they want to know more about how this thing was made. Other people just want to watch their show or their movie, so they get Netflix, or buy the digital copies of the movie or show.

I guess the same goes for music too but then I don't buy a lot of CDs either, but that's more because my public library is free so I just borrow the the CDs and rip the music to my computer :v:
works even better if it is to replace a CD that is so worn out that it skips to poo poo or CDs that were stolen and you didn't back them up.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
One thing from that episode has been stuck in my head all day

Jessica's feet.

... does Morty have a foot fetish?

Rougey fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 10, 2015

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
So when reading about Rick & Morty, I keep running into mentions about Harmon's other show, Community. Is it worth checking out?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Meta-Mollusk posted:

So when reading about Rick & Morty, I keep running into mentions about Harmon's other show, Community. Is it worth checking out?

Yes. It's quite good. You should watch it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aces High posted:

I think still buying blu-rays is like people that still buy collector's editions of their video games. They come with physical things like soundtracks and art books, or independent comic books that don't go anywhere, busts of the main character.

No, buying blu-rays is paying attention in Econ101.

It doesn't get much simpler than this. The blu-rays are cheaper and come with the digital copy. Even if you don't have a blu-ray player or plan on lighting the disc on fire as soon as you take it out of the package, the blu-ray is still the better buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Also - anyone who hasn't already needs to watch Mr Sprinkles. Roiland and Harmon collaborated on it years ago and it touches on a lot of the same themes as Rick and Morty. The biggest difference is that the main character, unlike Rick, is neurotically unsure of himself and is confronted with how society sees him. Also, he may or may not be a pedophile. I think the last episode is only up at the VH1 site but you can find the whole series on the first page of Google results.

• Locked thread