Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Win them from the tournament kits like the pro tier x-wangers do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

zVxTeflon posted:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

Plastic evade tokens can't come soon enough !!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Or just hit up Etsy, where they're cheap.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Iv won basically all the tournament stuff and I never use any of it. I would much rather use the cardboard stuff and not tip off my opponent that I might actually know what im doing. My girlfriend on the other hand loves using them and having a full set of tournament stuff scares the poo poo out of people.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Playing with basic cardboard crossed my mind before (and I could always revert to that if I ever need to sell the plastic) but it probably won't have the desired effect. I play with the nova squad though so we all know who can win a tournament or two.

If this was magic you could probably get one of the guys who visibly displays his badges of ~pro play~ to rage from being beaten by a filthy casual.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So I just found out my local Indigo carries this stuff, and I've been sitting on a bunch of their gift cards for a while now. I'm going to be buying in for me (wanting to play Imperial) and my buddy (who wants to play Rebels) for his birthday. How does this look for starting out?

Imperial:
Tie Advanced
Tie Phantom
Decimator

Rebel:
Millennium Falcon
YT-2400 Freighter

Both:
Starter Pack

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OMG OMG OMG

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fadam posted:

So I just found out my local Indigo carries this stuff, and I've been sitting on a bunch of their gift cards for a while now. I'm going to be buying in for me (wanting to play Imperial) and my buddy (who wants to play Rebels) for his birthday. How does this look for starting out?

Imperial:
Tie Advanced
Tie Phantom
Decimator

Rebel:
Millennium Falcon
YT-2400 Freighter

Both:
Starter Pack

The Aces and a large ship for the respective factions are probably the best way to get started. I don't feel like getting two large ships and no small ships for the Rebs is really a way to go.

Edit: You'll obviously get two X-wings but the A and B in the Aces set gives you ships with tons of options for everything from low-point filler to beatsticks

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 10, 2015

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

For organized play, do you need a separate upgrade card for each upgrade if you're running duplicates?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

fadam posted:

For organized play, do you need a separate upgrade card for each upgrade if you're running duplicates?

yes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

$50 for a variant cover is loving hilarious. Who do they think they are?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Holy poo poo that is crazy. Unless that is like a 1 of 100 signed deal they can kiss my rear end. I've never paid more than 10 bucks for a variant. Comic books are nuts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Big Mean Jerk posted:

$50 for a variant cover is loving hilarious. Who do they think they are?

It's p sexy but yeah it's weird. It's on eBay for like $35-40 so people apparently like them. There's like one variant of Star Wars #1 that's like $150 :psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just realized there wasn't a mustache article on the magazine variant. :psyduck:

(I happened to buy it from eBay. It's just too good.)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you had to chose between giving Veteran Instincts to Whisper or Chiraneau (I only have one card) who would you give it to?

Here's what I was thinking of bringing to the meet-up tomorrow:

Chiraneau /w Rebel Captive, Gunner, Darth Vader, Engine Upgrade

Whisper /w Fire-Control System, Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

If you had to chose between giving Veteran Instincts to Whisper or Chiraneau (I only have one card) who would you give it to?

Whisper, hands down. Phantoms basically live or die on their ability to get the whole "attack, use ACD to cloak, defend with 4+ dice" thing going and so being able to go first or as close to first in combat as possible is pretty vital for them, especially considering their investment in points and relative fragility if they get caught with their pants down. Chiraneau can tank some hits, Whisper can't.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, if I have an IG-88B with Accuracy Correctors and a Mangler Cannon, then attack a ship, break even with them for one hit vs one evade (with them having a focus token + some focus rolls), could I use my AC to force them to expend their focus token to fend off the hit and then use IG-88B's ability to make a second attack with the MC (seeing as I missed in the first one), potentially using the AC for the second attack as well? Or is it limited to one use per combat phase? Since the rulebook didn't really explain it all that well, in terms of whether upgrade cards can only be used once per attack or once per phase.
Thanks (and sorry if the situation above was poorly explained)

EDIT: Oh also, what are some good Rebel builds with two B-Wings? (Really loving Farlander at the moment) I've also got X-Wings (x3), Y-Wings (x3) and Hyphen-Wings z-95 (x5) to play with, for the rebels. (most of the Ys and Zs being from the scum sets, naturally)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 11, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You would have to use AC before the enemy gets to roll his evades but yes, you can potentially use AC in both attacks.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tekopo posted:

You would have to use AC before the enemy gets to roll his evades but yes, you can potentially use AC in both attacks.

Ah, right OK. Well I guess in that case we'll need to be more disciplined with our rolls - normally the defender rolls at either the same time as, or immediately after the attacker. (Not that it really matters in this case though, since surely in most cases if you only get one hit or less, you'd just go straight for the AC regardless)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The big one is that the attacker has to decides to use focus before he sees what the defender rolls: otherwise you could get into situations where you wouldn't focus because those extra hits would be negated anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Oh also, what are some good Rebel builds with two B-Wings? (Really loving Farlander at the moment) I've also got X-Wings (x3), Y-Wings (x3) and Hyphen-Wings z-95 (x5) to play with, for the rebels. (most of the Ys and Zs being from the scum sets, naturally)

I think if you're doing two B-wings, a good stress hog can help them deal with pesky arc dodgers.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

fadam posted:

Imperial:
Tie Advanced
Tie Phantom
Decimator

Rebel:
Millennium Falcon
YT-2400 Freighter

Both:
Starter Pack

Absolutely do not buy the TIE advanced. It's kinda awful and is going to be "patched" with a card bundled with a $70 ship. And by awful I don't just mean it doesn't work well - it's just very non-threatening and your rebel player will rapidly learn to ignore the poo poo out of it and the imperial player will be sad. It's probably the most disappointing ship I ever picked up since all it really excels at is not dying. Interceptors are a blast though and lead to some really cool dynamics and second guessing. The Imperial Aces pack in particular is awesome. Actually the Aces pack for both sides are pretty sweet since get you a lot of variety.

I'd actually almost argue against getting the Phantom when just starting out. It's cool, but it's really weird and while the rebel player can totally beat it, it requires some very non intuitive approaches and might lead to some very unsatisfying games when you're starting out. If you're in love with it, pick it up by all means. If you're picking it up because you've heard it's an effective ship, I might hold off.

In general, the ships you've chosen look like you're trying to go for tournament lists and I'd advise caution there. I've seen Falcon/Freighter builds in action and while they're effective, they are one of the most boring things to fly and equally boring to go up against because they almost but not quite ignore the fun maneuvering stuff that makes X wing great in the first place. Deci/Phantom is a little more interesting but when starting out I think most people would have a shitload more fun moving around the smaller fighters and actually dog-fighting than just letting their turret platforms plink at each other.

All in all though, it comes down to what you want the game for. The most fun I've had in X wing has been with tiny fighters zooming around each other and crashing into asteroids. If netlisting and optimization are your thing you aren't too far off the mark.

You could even just pick up the two core sets and try some smaller games (EDIT: Or did you mean you were buying one core to share? Then maybe Core + Xwing + TIE). Once you understand the system it's a lot easier to see what you want more of. Want a super dogfighter? Pick up interceptors, A wings and B wings. Want to see a big ship in action? Get a Falcon. Discover you actually love TIE fighters? Get the expansion so you can add on Howlrunner or run an elite TIE squad. Want to try for cool synergies? Get a Lambda or a Hawk.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 11, 2015

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Wow, its like that post was written to me! I am getting into wangs after a few games with the starter. Decided on Imperials and got a second starter, a Tie box and an Imperial aces box.

I might add a Tie defender or bomber for variation later, but I thought I'd might get some more Rebel ships to give some opportunities for anyone who don't own ships of their own to fly against my imperial fleet. Is the rebel aces a good choice? Its an A and a B wing, right? The B looks really cool and the A provides more maneuverability like the Tie, am I right?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
You're right. The Rebel Aces box comes with an A & B-Wing. The A-Wing is more of an analogue to the TIE-Interceptor rather than a Fighter, if that's what what you mean by "Tie." Z-95 Headhunters are more like the TIE-Fighter in that they're cheap, disposable ships.

I'm a selfish human being so I'm not sure about getting the Rebel Aces box. It has a ton of Rebel Only, A-Wing, and B-Wing specific cards. While they'll give your opponent a ton of options and good pilots, it won't really pad your Imperial fleet. If you get the standalone A-Wing and B-Wing expansions you'll have a few more weapon and elite pilot upgrades to throw on your own ships. You'll need a second (or third, or even fourth) opinion on this one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tacopocalypse posted:

You're right. The Rebel Aces box comes with an A & B-Wing. The A-Wing is more of an analogue to the TIE-Interceptor rather than a Fighter, if that's what what you mean by "Tie." Z-95 Headhunters are more like the TIE-Fighter in that they're cheap, disposable ships.

I'm a selfish human being so I'm not sure about getting the Rebel Aces box. It has a ton of Rebel Only, A-Wing, and B-Wing specific cards. While they'll give your opponent a ton of options and good pilots, it won't really pad your Imperial fleet. If you get the standalone A-Wing and B-Wing expansions you'll have a few more weapon and elite pilot upgrades to throw on your own ships. You'll need a second (or third, or even fourth) opinion on this one.

Rebel Aces does indeed come with mostly Rebel-centric stuff as you'd expect. There's very little in there that's going to be useful for Imperial players to poach except maybe Enhanced Scopes for certain builds. The A-Wing standalone expansion, however, comes with a copy of Push The Limit, aka Everyone's Favorite Elite Pilot Talent, and the B-Wing comes with Fire Control System which is a useful Advanced Systems upgrade for those ships that can take one.

All that said, the Rebel Aces box is pretty dang good if you're looking for fun stuff to give Rebel players, and some of the named pilots in there are standout (Keyan Farlander in particular is basically THE B-Wing pilot, and Jake Farrel is no small-timer himself). And if you have the Imperial Aces box then you already have Push The Limit anyway.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Absolutely do not buy the TIE advanced. It's kinda awful and is going to be "patched" with a card bundled with a $70 ship. And by awful I don't just mean it doesn't work well - it's just very non-threatening and your rebel player will rapidly learn to ignore the poo poo out of it and the imperial player will be sad. It's probably the most disappointing ship I ever picked up since all it really excels at is not dying. Interceptors are a blast though and lead to some really cool dynamics and second guessing. The Imperial Aces pack in particular is awesome. Actually the Aces pack for both sides are pretty sweet since get you a lot of variety.

Yeah but you can proxy that poo poo if you're just playing with friends. You only need to buy the Raider if you're going to play the TIE Adv in competitive play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know where I can go for French and German models? Or even just the cards? Friends and I could read and/or speak those languages and it would be p sweet to use them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone know where I can go for French and German models? Or even just the cards? Friends and I could read and/or speak those languages and it would be p sweet to use them.

Quebec? Several of my FLGS are in the province, and they have French Models.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

I noticed that Chaos Cards have a single copy of Imperial Aces in German.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bunnyofdoom posted:

Quebec? Several of my FLGS are in the province, and they have French Models.

Ooh. I know of someone going up there for nationals. Maybe if the raider is out by then (lol).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Flew the Tantive IV last night in an epic game. A PS2 Imperial Shuttle critically wounded my Aft to do two damage cards to my weakened but fully shielded Fore and blow it to kingdom come. I regret not reading that critical deck before the game so much.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Haha yeah the critical effects of the epic ships are funny.

Roll call for the PA regional? I think at least 20 of us from nova area are going.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I'm thinking about making the drive up from Richmond, but it's somewhat dependent on work concerns. Hopefully will know by Thursday if I can be out of pocket all day Saturday.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I know some of you live in/around Raleigh, and I'm coming up to be a test subject research volunteer for an organization in Durham at least twice in the next month or so, so I was wondering if anyone played X-Wing at all during the week anywhere up there? Barely anyone plays down here in Wilmington so it's hard for me to get games in with any regularity.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I know some of you live in/around Raleigh, and I'm coming up to be a test subject research volunteer for an organization in Durham at least twice in the next month or so, so I was wondering if anyone played X-Wing at all during the week anywhere up there? Barely anyone plays down here in Wilmington so it's hard for me to get games in with any regularity.

Every Monday at Gamer's Armory in Cary, usually several people playing. There's other stores too, but i don't know the turnout.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's crazy watching a fat han player get salty about autoblaster turrets of all things.

"What you mean my c-3p0 doesn't work?"

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 15, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

:justpost: in here when you are stopping by at Gamer's Armory on Monday nights and I'll make a trip in. I've been a bit tired of the meta lately.

Panzeh posted:

It's crazy watching a fat han player get salty about autoblaster turrets of all things.

"What you mean my c-3p0 doesn't work?"

Same but also when Soontir gets Tenned

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Miniature Market has Rebel Aces for $12.00 today only:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswx29.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tequila Ranger posted:

Miniature Market has Rebel Aces for $12.00 today only:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswx29.html

I was about to post this. Incredible deal.

• Locked thread