Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Tesseraction posted:

Did... did two sentence collapse into each other up there? It feels like "So at best it proves nothing, or it says what you think it does" and "certainly- if nothing else- does put to lie any assertion #GG is responsible for anything approaching the majority of harassment on twitter" seem to be completely different bits? As for the latter half of the sentence, you're coming to a favourable conclusion 'GG isn't responsible for the majority of the harassment on Twitter' but aren't taking important factors into account:
  • the survey was opt-in self-reporting, this may mean the results are under or over reported
  • the survey specifically looked at tickets submitted to Twitter staff, removing the people who choose to block or ignore, which could potentially over-report people who were overly sensitive to less vitriolic abuse and under-report people who laugh off violent rhetoric (perhaps against their better interests)
  • the survey does not show statistics as to the severity of the remark vs. association with GG (the form asks if you fear for your safety due to the harassment, which is in itself subjective)
  • the survey readily admits that issues such as 'tweet and delete' harassment can give all the negatives of harassment without the e-trail to analyse
  • the ggautoblocker list was retrieved a month later than the recording period but wasn't updated as time went on, which could suggest an under-report of people who hadn't gotten around to following the 'leader' accounts
  • their choice of the ggautoblocker to determine association with GG hides contributors like throwaways or people savvy enough to avoid making themselves obviously 'GG'
The list could easily go on.

More importantly, though, the survey also does not note any other alignment amongst the 'harassers' - the only 'association' of harassers are GGers. This implies that the only 'campaign' worth noting in a harassment context was GG.

As to your question on the efficacy of the blocklist, it doesn't prove anything one way or another. How could it?

The implication is less meaningful than what you yourself imply to be a nearly-meaningless study as a whole. That they thought Gamergate was the only thing worth correlating with harassment implies, if anything, a bias against it to start with. A bias that, even unaccounted for, the study does a poor job of justifying.

If the blockbot is meant to purge harassers, then you would expect the majority of people on the list would have been harassers. That's... not what the nearly-meaningless study said, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Snark posted:

The implication is less meaningful than what you yourself imply to be a nearly-meaningless study as a whole. That they thought Gamergate was the only thing worth correlating with harassment implies, if anything, a bias against it to start with. A bias that, even unaccounted for, the study does a poor job of justifying.

If the blockbot is meant to purge harassers, then you would expect the majority of people on the list would have been harassers. That's... not what the nearly-meaningless study said, is it?

The study looked at people reported for harassment, and found that 12% of the harassers reported were on the autoblock list. They did not determine how many people on the autoblock list were harassers, because that WASN'T THE loving POINT OF THE loving STUDY.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I have mis-remembered something, and have been wrong. For some reason I thought the WAM report addressed the efficacy of the blockbot, I can't seem to find that.

My apologies, but not to you Effectronica, you're a twit.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Snark posted:

I have mis-remembered something, and have been wrong. For some reason I thought the WAM report addressed the efficacy of the blockbot, I can't seem to find that.

My apologies, but not to you Effectronica, you're a twit.

Well, you know, you're not doing a very good job at pretending to be objective here. Maybe you could stop, and be authentic, if you know how.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I can't wait to get home from work, put on Smokey and the Bandit Part 3, blaze up that bogus gas station weed, and draft my multi paragraph post with quotes and citations about the possibility that Zoe Quinn finished those journalist guys off with a bukaki type scenario where they shot loads on her face and glasses and cummed their jizz all on her neck and tits. Is there a good Zizek quote that I can work into this post

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Snark posted:

Wait, are you suggesting that 'because only 12% of cases were GG-related, GG is not justifiably associated with harassment'?

The Snark posted:

Is your argument that 'the majority of the list haven't been reported as harassers, therefore they aren't harassers'? I could understand maybe arguing the reverse, i.e. 'the majority of harassers were not on the GG list, suggesting few harassers are GG' - but that is also a poor induction.

Both arguments can reasonably be countered with: 'perhaps the majority of the list were not reported for harassment, because they had already been blocked' - you know, like with Sixth Sense but with annoying douchebags instead of a ghost. I mean, as I said, there was a window between Nov 6 and Nov 10 where the ggautoblocker was not released. We have no statistics to suggest that all 12% of GG-related incidents didn't happen in those 4 days*!

*I do not seriously believe that, go figure

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

a bay posted:

I can't wait to get home from work, put on Smokey and the Bandit Part 3, blaze up that bogus gas station weed, and draft my multi paragraph post with quotes and citations about the possibility that Zoe Quinn finished those journalist guys off with a bukaki type scenario where they shot loads on her face and glasses and cummed their jizz all on her neck and tits. Is there a good Zizek quote that I can work into this post

"Bitches ain't poo poo but hoes and tricks", Slavoj Zizek, "Living in the End Times"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Welcome to the Desert of the Real Gamers

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Obdicut posted:

I'd guess probably the person who called in the bomb threat. Just an idea.

Ok, cool. So when someone on the pro-GG side threatened to shoot up the convention Anita was supposed to speak at, nobody but the caller has to own up to that either?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Snark posted:

What is the thread's opinion on this report?

http://womenactionmedia.org/cms/assets/uploads/2015/05/wam-twitter-abuse-report.pdf

Which, among other things, confirms the vast majority of harassers on Twitter, even just ALLEGED harassers, are not GamerGators.

And note again I am raising issue with this wonderful mental image a lot of people seem to have that GamerGators are all the worst people and that the BlockBot is doing something other than simply purging dissent with desired narratives.

Is WAM corrupted by GamerGate, or are they wrestling with immense amounts of internalized misogyny?

It's a good thing that no one claimed that every harasser on twitter is with gamergate. There are a lot of people on twitter, you know, and they are mad about a wide array of things that are not video games.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Ok, cool. So when someone on the pro-GG side threatened to shoot up the convention Anita was supposed to speak at, nobody but the caller has to own up to that either?

Hey I'm not related to this bomb-threat person in any way but I'll happily denounce them as an rear end in a top hat and a terrorist. Call me visionary or something.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The problem with gamergate (on both sides) is that people have confused loudness with importance. None of this actually important by any meaningful definition of the word

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't think you understand, if we get the SJWs out of video games then North Korea will become a democracy!!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tesseraction posted:

Hey I'm not related to this bomb-threat person in any way but I'll happily denounce them as an rear end in a top hat and a terrorist. Call me visionary or something.

Good! You're a sensible and responsible human being.

Sadly, you're in a minority. I can hardly find anyone on either side who are willing to denounce their respective terror threats. That includes the current pseudo-leaders for both sides.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The problem with gamergate (on both sides) is that people have confused loudness with importance. None of this actually important by any meaningful definition of the word

Zoe Quinn seems pretty important to me for making such a good game and rock loving hard cock that is going to need some attention soon, that's important

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GG is also pro-Putin, so yeah ISIS or whatever, any association for them is fine.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Sadly, you're in a minority. I can hardly find anyone on either side who are willing to denounce their respective terror threats. That includes the current pseudo-leaders for both sides.

I don't think anyone here has genuinely defended harassment of gamergaters. aGG isn't really a 'side'

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I give Gamergate a 9.7 out of 10 for being such a dirty little bitch, really just a nasty little loving slut, who likes that, and wants me to pull her hair, harder, and I'm getting so close she better be ready to turn around and be featured in my journalism

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think anyone here has genuinely defended harassment of gamergaters. aGG isn't really a 'side'

Yep. Whenever I look at most of the people that are held up as aGG leaders or whatever I go "nope" because they've got issues all their own. But I was on Twitter when Gamergate kicked off and it was nasty, and the nastiness has never died down.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Former games journalist here, though from a periphery country that mostly received material from the big companies in the biz and produced relatively little locally.

I find GamerGate so misguided as to be bizarre. Like the MRA 'movement' they seem to overlap with substantially, they actions seem custom-made to undermine the goals they claim to want to achieve. "The rape of males in prisons and high incarceration rate is a tragedy! We better get crackin' on whining about Mad Max: Fury Road being feminist and western women being simultaneously insatiable sluts/stuck-up bitches who won't bang me!"

I particularly like the "Anti-GG sentiment is pushing people into the arms of Breitbart and the right-wing!" gambit. Yeah, it's -your- fault I'm hoisting the star and bars, logging onto Stormfront and following Caiden Cowger on Twitter! It's no one else's responsibility to keep you from going full moron. Is there any way to even hold someone intent on gravitating toward those trash heaps without turning into a friendlier-sounding version of such places? Not likely. If all it takes is a malicious hack to appeal to your 'gamer' identity for you to embrace your inner Mark Fuhrman, you were never at risk of staying a decent person for that long.

In my time in the industry, which was mostly focused on print material, the main problems were the imposition of canned content (As in "You can publish this review/guide made by our media department, or wait for a review copy of the game. Said review might be delayed and mess with your publishing deadline, or we can just hold it because we discovered you published unflattering stuff about one of our products"), the need to broaden scope and content to unreal levels in order to attract advertisement and company support making a small team very much overworked and killing any hopes of specialization or focus that might lead to better quality. That and abysmal pay, but that's sort of a common thing in media.

The average GG trooper will bitch about Electronic arts, but will need a Google search to tell you the name of its CEO. He'll be able to tell you Zoe Quinn's measurements and a brief but detail-rich sexual history on demand, though, before reaching for the squirt bottle of lube.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ThreeFingerHoek posted:

It's an internet slapfight about computer games i don't know how you could get more immaterial.

Oh, that's easy, ti's also about sexism and racism in computer games and the computer game industry.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Normal, reasonable people don't feel like they have to denounce terror threats made by people they have no connection to. Why would the fact ahat I think GGers have no point and are creepy mean that I need to denounce a bomb threat against them? I pre-denounce all bomb threats.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Serf posted:

Yep. Whenever I look at most of the people that are held up as aGG leaders or whatever I go "nope" because they've got issues all their own. But I was on Twitter when Gamergate kicked off and it was nasty, and the nastiness has never died down.

"Why haven't you condemned harassment by aGG?" is the games equivalent of "how come we never hear about all the black on black crime!?"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

a bay posted:

...[I]s fist-loving not the sexual invention of the twentieth century, a new model of eroticism and pleasure? It is no longer genitalized, but focused just on the penetration of the surface, with the role of the phallus being taken over by the hand, the autonomized partial object par excellence. And, what about the so-called Transformer or animorph toys, a car or a plane that can be transformed into a humanoid robot, an animal that can be morphed into a human or robot. Is this not Deleuzian? There are no "metaphorics" here; the point is not that the machinic or animal form is revealed as a mask containing a human shape but, rather, the existence of the becoming-machine or becoming-animal of the human, the flow of continuous morphing. What is blurred here is also the divide machine/living organism: a car transmutes into a humanoid/cyborg organism. And, is the ultimate irony not that, for Deleuze, the sport was surfing, a Californian sport par excellence if there ever was one? No longer a sport of self-control and domination directed towards some goal, it is just a practice of inserting oneself into a wave and letting oneself be carried by it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My eyes instinctively glaze when they detect Zizekist text.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelSamyn/20150709/248130/1_Violence_begets_Violence.php
the sunset dev went full jack Thompson. Not surprising given their twitter outburst when the game didnt sell.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They are dumb.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelSamyn/20150709/248130/1_Violence_begets_Violence.php
the sunset dev went full jack Thompson. Not surprising given their twitter outburst when the game didnt sell.

Xbone is really really bad and I wish ill on those who supported it except for SWERY.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They haven't attempted to petition before the SCOTUS, file several frivolous lawsuit and be permanently disbarred from practicing law so I think this may be slightly hyperbolic. What they've done is write an opinion piece.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ddraig posted:

They haven't attempted to petition before the SCOTUS, file several frivolous lawsuit and be permanently disbarred from practicing law so I think this may be slightly hyperbolic. What they've done is write an opinion piece.

Exactly. And the idea of "hey wouldn't it be cool if we had more games where violence wasn't the primary method of interacting with the world" isn't one that I find inherently repellent.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ddraig posted:

It's a slippery slope from bad opinion pieces to Legalized Horse Marriage and the mass incarceration of gamers.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Serf posted:

Exactly. And the idea of "hey wouldn't it be cool if we had more games where violence wasn't the primary method of interacting with the world" isn't one that I find inherently repellent.

That's quite clearly not the point he's making. He wants there to not be any games where violence is central to the experience in a positive way:

quote:

A game industry that claims to support tolerance and respect is hypocritical as long as it produces and supports entertainment in which the wounding and killing of others is central to the amusement.

A game developer who claims to be a peaceful tolerant person while producing murder simulators is a hypocrite. I will not accuse them of being directly responsible for mass shootings and online harassment. But they are beyond a doubt guilty of neglecting to prevent such things.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I hope somebody posts a picture of Zoe Quinn so these knuckle heads can see that she is so blazin that if you wouldn't be willing to sacrifice your games journalism integrity and risk coming into contact with other mens sperms to get with her then you probably don't even loving play video games dude

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Obdicut posted:

Normal, reasonable people don't feel like they have to denounce terror threats made by people they have no connection to. Why would the fact ahat I think GGers have no point and are creepy mean that I need to denounce a bomb threat against them? I pre-denounce all bomb threats.

Without any leaders, you automatically have a connection. Their anti-GG stance is your anti-GG stance. If you want gamergate to be a serious discussion, and the time and effort you've spent in this thread suggests you want it to be, you can't afford to sit back and presume everyone is against these terror threats.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Freakazoid_ posted:

Without any leaders, you automatically have a connection. Their anti-GG stance is your anti-GG stance. If you want gamergate to be a serious discussion, and the time and effort you've spent in this thread suggests you want it to be, you can't afford to sit back and presume everyone is against these terror threats.

But is there a movement, a hashtag, labeled "antigamergate" or whatever?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I guess the closest thing would have been #StopGamerGate but no one uses it anymore since it became clear that the end goal was impossible.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I can't believe this is still a discussion. Everyone on every side of this discussion is just being silly. Why are people complaining about journalistic ethics in an industry that has none, that is a glorified advertising industry where game stores and the like own the most widely-read publications? There's a bigger problem that everyone's ignoring. (But as everyone has figured out the issue GG people are concerned about is not ethics in games journalism.)

I remember meeting a guy who would never stop bringing up GamerGate stuff. Eventually he brought up some college visit on the East Coast from some "Factual Feminist" person who he mentioned was "one of the premiere female Mens' Rights Activists" and I never spoke to him after that.

Actually, I'll be silly, too. I'm curious about that college visit. The guy told me some people set up some kind of "safety room" for people who didn't want to hear her speak and they were just playing videos of puppies playing or something on loop. It was a very stereotypical "sensitive tumblr SJW" image. I want to know if this actually happened. If so, this fuels my shame toward the Anti-Gamergate people too for being flippant instead of doing something useful in protest. I want to know the full story.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Effectronica posted:

What Serf said. Also Gamerghazi kind of took up that torch.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There is no Anti-GamerGate just like there's no Anti-ISIS. It's a bunch of separate movements that probably vehemently disagree with each other under normal circumstances but are united by the sheer idiocy of the actual movement.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

What Serf said. Also Gamerghazi kind of took up that torch.

Oh right, I forgot about Gamerghazi, one of the most tastelessly-named places I've seen on the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

John Quixote posted:

I can't believe this is still a discussion. Everyone on every side of this discussion is just being silly.

Incorrect, there are freaks and woman-stalkers on one side and people who think that should stop on the other. One side is correct, the other should face ostracism and job loss.

• Locked thread