Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Any ideas on how to get a year old rear end in a top hat to stop kneading her claws on the corners of our ottoman and to use the two big yarn roller cylinder thingys on her play shelf that's three feet away instead?

When I see her use her claws on the ottoman, I gently pick her up and lightly scrape one of her claws against the rollers as if to say "Use this instead, please!" but she doesn't get it. Spraying Feliway on them doesn't work either.

Getting her declawed is not an option either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Try more scratchy things? Like a variety of surfaces. My kitties were fairly decent about scratching on their sisal rope cat tree, but sometimes scratched on the carpet. So I grabbed them a carpet scratching post and some cheap cardboard scratchers. Maybe $40 for four new scratching opportunities. They don't scratch on the carpet at all now. One just walked across the room from the cat tree to scratch on the carpet post. It sounds like your kitty prefers the texture of the ottoman, so maybe you could find a surface that has a similar texture for her?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

Any ideas on how to get a year old rear end in a top hat to stop kneading her claws on the corners of our ottoman and to use the two big yarn roller cylinder thingys on her play shelf that's three feet away instead?

When I see her use her claws on the ottoman, I gently pick her up and lightly scrape one of her claws against the rollers as if to say "Use this instead, please!" but she doesn't get it. Spraying Feliway on them doesn't work either.

You could try covering the corners of the ottoman with something annoying, like aluminum foil or tape with the sticky side out. Anything to make the experience unpleasant so she finds someplace else to scratch.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Charles Martel posted:

Scratching isn't just to help shed the outer layer of the nail. It also has a tecture component -- it feels good -- and it allows the cat to deposit their scent. The ottoman might still feel better to her, or be in a better position for marking her territory, than the scratching posts.

Deteriorata posted:

You could try covering the corners of the ottoman with something annoying, like aluminum foil or tape with the sticky side out. Anything to make the experience unpleasant so she finds someplace else to scratch.

This is good advice. You might also want something like the Ssscat to chase her off.

Try placing the scratching posts in different places to see if that appeals to her more. Bait it with catnip.

I would stop scraping her claws down it manually. Most cats don't like having their feet handled, so you may be inadvertently conditioning the scratching posts to be unpleasant.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Deteriorata posted:

This. There's a type of very wide double-sided tape for this exact reason. Ssscat only works well if you're constantly there, or if she's only doing this while you're around. Our cat, for example, likes to scratch doorframes, but only to get attention; otherwise she uses the tree or the couch (which no one cares about). And agreed on the touching her paws; all she's going to think is "everytime I look at this thing, that guy touches my hands, gently caress this".

Derail: the Ssscat is my favourite because the back of the box shows a baby being attacked by a cat in its crib, and it always made me laugh

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I've had great luck with scratching the post myself right in front of them. Little heads catch on fire with "HEY THAT'S MINE" and they dash over to assert their ownership of the approved scratching object.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I spray kong catnip spray on anything I want the cats to get used to handling. It's so potent that even the cat who doesn't like catnip is affected and gets a bit giddy.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
A lot of good advice it seems. Thanks! She's been doing great otherwise.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
The other day my cat accidentally kicked a little poop nugget out of her box. I walked in as she was dutifully trying to dig in the floor to bury it.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Zaftig posted:

The other day my cat accidentally kicked a little poop nugget out of her box. I walked in as she was dutifully trying to dig in the floor to bury it.

What did you do with the nugget?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Tore up the floor to help his cat bury it

At least any good meowner would do that.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Drythe posted:

I'll never get my deposit back but I made her so happy.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
Is there a case for medical declawing? I've always viewed it as unnecessarily cruel for the cat to have it done. I don't want to be ripped to shreds but my vet suggested we think about doing it for Gem given her hosed up feet issues and how she can't flex her toes at all to scratch anything. We've been trying different nail clippers every week but the way her nails grow out most of them can't get between the nail and her toe so we have to file them down just so she can walk slightly more comfortably. She will never walk normally but I would like it to be as painless as possible for as long as she lives, given she is less than a year old, or so the vet thinks. The vet said she could do it when she is spayed in December or January and get it all over with at once. Normally I would refuse but my vet only does it in case of medical issue and if it would help her in the long run. My husband and I are just undecided and waffling between it's cruel and barbaric but she could actually benefit from it so maybe it won't end up being a horror story? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I would absolutely do it in that case without hesitation. The cat is having trouble walking and this will make it a little better.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sounds like a legitimate issue. Personally I'd get a second opinion, not just because it's generally considered in humane but also because it's an expense and some vets will nickel and dime you. It would suck for you and the cat if you paid for an expensive surgery that's might be detrimental to the cat.

My cat got fleas somehow despite being indoors only. Treated him with advantage and he seems to be doing fine, haven't found any fleas on him since. But he now has a couple bald spots on his neck. I've read that this is common in cats with fleas (he's also longhaired and prone to matting), should I bring him in for a checkup anyway?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kubricize posted:

Is there a case for medical declawing? I've always viewed it as unnecessarily cruel for the cat to have it done. I don't want to be ripped to shreds but my vet suggested we think about doing it for Gem given her hosed up feet issues and how she can't flex her toes at all to scratch anything. We've been trying different nail clippers every week but the way her nails grow out most of them can't get between the nail and her toe so we have to file them down just so she can walk slightly more comfortably. She will never walk normally but I would like it to be as painless as possible for as long as she lives, given she is less than a year old, or so the vet thinks. The vet said she could do it when she is spayed in December or January and get it all over with at once. Normally I would refuse but my vet only does it in case of medical issue and if it would help her in the long run. My husband and I are just undecided and waffling between it's cruel and barbaric but she could actually benefit from it so maybe it won't end up being a horror story? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

If it is a legitimate medicial issue where I guess a deformity in them is preventing the cat from walking properly then yes go and do it, we amputate the limbs of infants with deformed limbs to give them a better chance of comfort and this is no different.

**Declawing a cat without a good medicial reason is loving evil as poo poo though.**

khy
Aug 15, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

**Declawing a cat without a good medicial reason is loving evil as poo poo though.**

When I first found out about how bad declawing is for cats, it used to make me really sad and upset. It still does but I've realized something that at least helps me feel better about it.

When I got Jade from the shelter I didn't know she was front-paw declawed. It was one of those 'Oh hey look at that' things I found out the first evening she spent at my home with me. I would never declaw a cat, but I WILL say that I am glad that cats adapt to injuries and mutilation quite well. Like Refurb comes to mind, whose claws and foot and leg are gone. Would it be better if Refurb had her leg? Yes. But since that can't happen she lives happily as is. Declawing is obviously not as bad as losing a leg, but still - the cat adapts and lives with it and doesn't let it get them all down about it.

With Jade, if I'd had her before she got declawed then she'd have all 10 claws right now. I'd probably have SO many more scratches but I'd be OK with that. But it isn't a choice I could have made, and now she lives a happy, comfortable life (At least I think she's happy) despite the loss. She's adjusted to it and I no longer feel sad and upset that it happened. It was what it was and I can't turn it back so I just go forward with it.

I'm definitely not advocating declawing at all. Just saying that it's nice that cats adapt so easily because I'd hate to think that she's still unhappy because of it, you know?

khy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 9, 2015

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I think one of the reasons declawing is considered bad is that not all cats bounce back and "adapt" and it permanently fucks up their feet.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Sounds like a legitimate issue. Personally I'd get a second opinion, not just because it's generally considered in humane but also because it's an expense and some vets will nickel and dime you. It would suck for you and the cat if you paid for an expensive surgery that's might be detrimental to the cat.

My cat got fleas somehow despite being indoors only. Treated him with advantage and he seems to be doing fine, haven't found any fleas on him since. But he now has a couple bald spots on his neck. I've read that this is common in cats with fleas (he's also longhaired and prone to matting), should I bring him in for a checkup anyway?

He might have scratched away some of his hair, but maybe take him in anyway in case he had a reaction to the medication. It's unlikely, but you may as well.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Drythe posted:

the telltale nug

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Tamarillo posted:

I think one of the reasons declawing is considered bad is that not all cats bounce back and "adapt" and it permanently fucks up their feet.

Declawing is an American (and a couple of other countries) thing. The rest of the world just accepts cats have claws.

Kubricize posted

Speak to you Vet

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tamarillo posted:

Goddamnit man I'm just trying to come up with an excuse not to be all sad and angry off about my cat's mutilation from her previous owners is that such an awful thing to want :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
My 10-year-old was the most energetic and kitten-like little thing all his life up until about a week ago, and today almost out of nowhere we'll have to put him down after a few days ago it was discovered he had diabetes and ketoacidosis that he no longer has the strength to recover from. Lost my other (older) one a year ago at around this same time too and I've now decided that summer is the worst goddamn time of the year.

RIP you weirdos, take care of your cats all.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

khy posted:

Goddamnit man I'm just trying to come up with an excuse not to be all sad and angry off about my cat's mutilation from her previous owners is that such an awful thing to want :(

Of course not. It wasn't your choice in the first place and it's great that your cat hasn't had any adverse effects - it's just not a guaranteed outcome for all cats that have the procedure is all.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Hey thread - so yesterday I brought my female cat into the vet because she had some loose stool over the previous 3 days or so, and hadn't been eating as much. They gave her in injection with fluids and a prescription for a weeks worth of antibiotics, which she is currently taking.

I'm writing here because as of this morning, my other (male) cat had diarrhea as well, and now won't eat all that much either.

I plan on taking him to the same vet this afternoon, but was just wondering if anyone had any inclinations as to what could be happening? When I thought it was just the one cat, I had assumed she just got into something she shouldn't have and needs to get it through her system, but now that they are both ill, I'm not so sure. Could it be their food? A virus?

After calling the vet's office today I am under the impression they are just going to do the same thing they did to my other cat - injection of fluids and send him home with some pills to take for a week. But I am wondering if maybe I should be doing anything else?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rorobb posted:

Hey thread - so yesterday I brought my female cat into the vet because she had some loose stool over the previous 3 days or so, and hadn't been eating as much. They gave her in injection with fluids and a prescription for a weeks worth of antibiotics, which she is currently taking.

I'm writing here because as of this morning, my other (male) cat had diarrhea as well, and now won't eat all that much either.

I plan on taking him to the same vet this afternoon, but was just wondering if anyone had any inclinations as to what could be happening? When I thought it was just the one cat, I had assumed she just got into something she shouldn't have and needs to get it through her system, but now that they are both ill, I'm not so sure. Could it be their food? A virus?

After calling the vet's office today I am under the impression they are just going to do the same thing they did to my other cat - injection of fluids and send him home with some pills to take for a week. But I am wondering if maybe I should be doing anything else?

Wash their bowls, make sure their litter box is clean?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Kanfy posted:

My 10-year-old was the most energetic and kitten-like little thing all his life up until about a week ago, and today almost out of nowhere we'll have to put him down after a few days ago it was discovered he had diabetes and ketoacidosis that he no longer has the strength to recover from. Lost my other (older) one a year ago at around this same time too and I've now decided that summer is the worst goddamn time of the year.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitties. They were adorable.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Good sink cats.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kanfy posted:

Sorry. :( They look like awesome cats.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
My wife and I recently got a kitten. His name is Pitou (which is a rough translation from acadian french for dog).

He was found in a dumpster by one of my wife's friends who could not keep a pet; a day later he ended up on our doorstep. We took him to the vet, and the best of guesses suggest that he was about 4-5 weeks old when we got him. There was a couple of weeks of feeding him with a syringe and then he got onto some wet kitten food. He has grown quite a bit from when we first got him. Here is a picture from tonight when he is about 13 weeks old.

We introduced him immediately at a young age to a 3 year old lab, my dog Red.

They get along great, what I am finding strange is that the kitten wants to suckle on the dogs teat. The dog isn't in any type of distress or annoyed, but at what point should you wean a kitten of a dogs teat (and the dog is fixed so it isn't producing milk).

Or is this something that will just work itself out?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

mcbagpipes posted:

My wife and I recently got a kitten. His name is Pitou (which is a rough translation from acadian french for dog).

He was found in a dumpster by one of my wife's friends who could not keep a pet; a day later he ended up on our doorstep. We took him to the vet, and the best of guesses suggest that he was about 4-5 weeks old when we got him. There was a couple of weeks of feeding him with a syringe and then he got onto some wet kitten food. He has grown quite a bit from when we first got him. Here is a picture from tonight when he is about 13 weeks old.

They get along great, what I am finding strange is that the kitten wants to suckle on the dogs teat. The dog isn't in any type of distress or annoyed, but at what point should you wean a kitten of a dogs teat (and the dog is fixed so it isn't producing milk).

It'll be fine, congrats on your catdog blob.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

mcbagpipes posted:

I've had a couple of tittybaby cats and they eventually got better about it, but never totally got over it. The worst decided that human necks were the ideal suckling spot, claws and all. Microfleece and pseudo-fleece throws and pillows might distract him if it starts getting on the dog's nerves. (Wool sucking.)
IME, the offenders were separated from mom cat too early; however, Luther was found at about 1.5 weeks old, bottle-raised, and doesn't have this tendency. Occasionally he will wedge his face in the crook of my neck and have a good drool, but doesn't knead, thank gawd.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

mcbagpipes posted:

What a wonderful black blob in the middle of the screen. Gorgeous black creatures.

Some cats suckle on their mothers (or I guess whoever they bond with) out of habit. I had a cat who kept on her (fixed) mother's teat until she was about 8 months, when my mom took her in. She didn't do it with my mom's cat, so I think it has to do with bonding.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
To be honest, I am sort of amused by how many dog mannerisms the kitten is picking up. He is already chasing tennis balls about the house with the dog.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Please advise on how to repel Persistent Approaches by a Cat; the Cat approaches me when I am not prepared to be approached; I am afraid of Cats; I find them to be an unpredictable and vicious Creature in my Experience; I do not wish to be approached by the Cat; I accept that I am in the Cat's Environment and that it wishes to investigate me; however I do not want the Cat to exhibit Demonstrative Behaviours such as rubbing its Face against my Legs; touching me with its Tail; rolling over on to its Back in front of me; sitting beside me on the Lounge Chair; batting at my Shoe Laces with its Feet; I am discomforted by these Behaviours; I wish to be left in peace by the Cat; however I do not want to hurt the Cat or cause Psychological / Emotional Trauma to it via over zealous repellant Methods; furthermore I can not flee the Cat; this is a Challenging Behaviour. Please advise Safe and Benevolent Methods for discouraging the Approach of a Cat. It is an Orange Cat aged Eleven (11) Years. Thank You and G-d Bless.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Perhaps you could buy the cat a present that would interest it more than your shoelaces, like a cheap little trackball with a scratching pad in the middle. Those come with a bit of catnip to sprinkle on the scratchpad so the cat will find it interesting. Then you will be a good guest, and the cat will have a distraction. I'm assuming it is a friend's cat? If it is a strange cat, spray it with a little water.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I am sorry, the environment belongs to the cat now. You must depart and never return.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Enhydra lutris posted:

Please advise on how to repel Persistent Approaches by a Cat; the Cat approaches me when I am not prepared to be approached; I am afraid of Cats; I find them to be an unpredictable and vicious Creature in my Experience; I do not wish to be approached by the Cat; I accept that I am in the Cat's Environment and that it wishes to investigate me; however I do not want the Cat to exhibit Demonstrative Behaviours such as rubbing its Face against my Legs; touching me with its Tail; rolling over on to its Back in front of me; sitting beside me on the Lounge Chair; batting at my Shoe Laces with its Feet; I am discomforted by these Behaviours; I wish to be left in peace by the Cat; however I do not want to hurt the Cat or cause Psychological / Emotional Trauma to it via over zealous repellant Methods; furthermore I can not flee the Cat; this is a Challenging Behaviour. Please advise Safe and Benevolent Methods for discouraging the Approach of a Cat. It is an Orange Cat aged Eleven (11) Years. Thank You and G-d Bless.

source

yo

quotes

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sigh... So our anxious cat problems continues... Shes still having massive trouble settling in and gets into the absolute full blown fear mode at the slightest provocation. I walked past the laundry the other day while she was using the litterbox and she flattened herself out. Straight into the big poo poo she had just taken. On a side note, she is NOT good with baths.

She also went into a full blown panic attack because she was at one end of the hallway and we were at the other just standing there, went into the full pained yowls of panic and then bolted past us, jumped onto the recliners in front of the fire and poo poo herself in fear.

Shes due for her F3 shot on the 18th and im seriously going to talk to the vet about some medication for her because she is NOT improving outside of 11-12pm at night when the bedroom is dark. The fact shes fearful of me just walking past and not as bad with my girlfriend makes us suspect she had a nasty run in with a male before she wound up at the shelter, or that shes been returned once before and had a run in then.

Im kinda getting sick of the whole "One good cat, one dud cat whos terrified of everything" scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huntersoninski posted:

Perhaps you could buy the cat a present that would interest it more than your shoelaces, like a cheap little trackball with a scratching pad in the middle. Those come with a bit of catnip to sprinkle on the scratchpad so the cat will find it interesting. Then you will be a good guest, and the cat will have a distraction. I'm assuming it is a friend's cat? If it is a strange cat, spray it with a little water.
I do not wish to establish a Hostile Relationship with the Cat; I feel Benign toward the Cat; I will not spray it with Water; it is Winter; it is uncomfortable to be wet in Winter due to the Cold Temperatures. I will purchase a Present for the Cat if this will decrease its Attentiveness toward my self; I do not know what Cats enjoy; I know that they enjoy hunting small Animals; however I can not purchase Small Animals for the Cat to hunt for the duration of my Visits; I have Concerns over the possibility of Mice escaping from the Cat (its Hunting Efficacy is decreased due to its Age; it is moderately elderly for a Cat) and becoming Feral; or the besmirching of the Carpet with Bodily Fluids; I will enquire at the Pet Shop about Track Balls with Scratching Pads and other suitable Cat Gifts so that the Cat will no longer harass me. I do not provoke its Attentions; I sit very still; I do not make enticing sounds; I do not gesticulate; I am not a Prey Creature [Mouse; Small Bird; Lizard; etcetera]; nevertheless it approaches me; it demonstrates Curiosity; it makes Contact with my Person and I become distressed. The Cat belongs to a Woman.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I am sorry, the environment belongs to the cat now. You must depart and never return.
I have been invited in to this House; I am welcome in this House when the Woman is home; I am also welcome when the Woman is not home; I may use the out door Toilet if I am near by and need to Urinate; I know where the Key is hidden; the out door Toilet contains numerous Spiders so I rarely use this Toilet; Frogs frequently emerge from the Pipes and inhabit the Toilet Bowl; this is an Interesting Occasion. The House does not belong to the Cat; it belongs to the Woman; the Woman pays the Monthly Mortgage [House Loan]; the Cat pays nothing.

duckfarts posted:

source

yo

quotes
?????