Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That was really cool. It looked like a guy attempted a standing cartwheel guard pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

A Wry Smile posted:

E: Also, related to checking out while drilling: Instead of letting the attention span dictate the length of the drills, it might be better to use the drills to lengthen the attention span. I'm guessing that's where my Judo coaches got the whole 'each throw needs 10,000 reps for mastery' stuff at least. Mindfulness meditation disguised as technical practice?

Yeah I good point. So maybe like 5 or so reps past the point of focus. Until it's easy to do that and then 5 more.

I do wonder if some of that "do this 10,000" time style talk is brute forcing what could be done better through smarter methods. Like how that 10,000 hour of practice theory was found to be not really true. The best were found to actually practice less than the average, but they practiced intensely when they did work on it and set/measured clear objectives along the way for themselves.

It's also been found that imagining doing things is almost as good. Like to the point that people who imagined lifting weights over time became a little stronger than a control that didn't. Big bonus for something like grappling is its zero wear and tear on the body just visualizing what you want to practice.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
watching grappling and visualizing yourself doing the details has helped a lot with getting better at little things when i couldnt train for 2 weeks just now.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
It's almost like everyone learns differently

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

I do wonder if some of that "do this 10,000" time style talk is brute forcing what could be done better through smarter methods. Like how that 10,000 hour of practice theory was found to be not really true. The best were found to actually practice less than the average, but they practiced intensely when they did work on it and set/measured clear objectives along the way for themselves.

It's also been found that imagining doing things is almost as good. Like to the point that people who imagined lifting weights over time became a little stronger than a control that didn't. Big bonus for something like grappling is its zero wear and tear on the body just visualizing what you want to practice.

I always saw the 10 000 reps/hours things as a way to say "You need to practice a lot for a long time to get good" and not as an actual "timeframe".

And yeah, visualisation is a great tool for everything in life. In something as technical as grappling there is 0 doubt that it can help people improve greatly. It's crazy how much you can learn watching youtube videos and imagining yourself going through the motions.

---

Anyway that whole video was interesting but a bit simplistic. It's not one or the other, you need to use both. Drilling is very important to perfect some small movements in techniques, that doesn't mean you don't have to or can't work on the conceptual part. Mostly, like someone said before, drilling doesn't have to be a mindless endeavor either. Of course if you just go through the motion when you drill it's going to be a waste of time compared to mindful randori. From what I recall of my psychology of learning classes, mindfulness (is that even a word) and the way you approach something you're trying to learn is pretty much the most important part of learning.

As with pretty much everything in life the "this is the best way" approach, a mixture of both is usually best. There probably are a lot of gyms/teachers/people that focus too much on drilling, but it's pretty ridiculous to simply say that drilling as a whole is pretty much useless. Which he pretty much says in one of his replies. Also, not drilling anymore when you are one of the best athletes on a quickly evolving sport VS not drilling when you're an average blue belt is not the same thing at all.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 24, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
BJJ Hacks did a nice video about our Academy that pretty much captures its character
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMtcR_LP0c

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
my coaches have advised I start watching BJJ and grappling (I've previously tried but can't really get into it despite loving training). they said two people to focus on, as their styles are similar to mine. are Ryan Hall & Caio Terra. so, which fights of theirs should I watch? also, what big competitions are coming up soon that I can follow? cheers.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

BJJ Hacks did a nice video about our Academy that pretty much captures its character
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMtcR_LP0c

Are you somewhere in the footage?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

my coaches have advised I start watching BJJ and grappling (I've previously tried but can't really get into it despite loving training). they said two people to focus on, as their styles are similar to mine. are Ryan Hall & Caio Terra. so, which fights of theirs should I watch? also, what big competitions are coming up soon that I can follow? cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX9QnrZtfc

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Are there any in-depth instructionals on the standing arm drag? I'm having a lot of trouble grabbing my opponents hip or far armpit, particularly in no-gi. I often get spun in on and counter-dragged. Maybe there's something commonly missed that I'm also missing?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

Are you somewhere in the footage?
Way in the background.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Ah poo poo, I ordered a rashguard from budovideos but in the wrong size, I contacted them in the ''contact us'' part of the site but I was wondering if they're generally pretty good at modifying mistaken orders? I know i'm probably the first to be dumb enough to order the wrong size on this forum at Budo but I was wondering if someone might have ''a don't worry man'' to give.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Today, ADCC's recent woes were further compounded with news that MMA pioneer, Renzo Gracie has been forced to pull out of his special attraction match with former UFC champion Matt Hughes.

The promotion has suffered a week of bad news going into ADCC 2015. Firstly, fan-favorite Rafa Mendes announced that he wasn't going to compete at the event. Then their special invitee Hector Lombard was defeated by submission within two minutes at a warm up event.

According to a report by MMAFighting.com Renzo Gracie suffered a knee injury in preparation for his match with Matt Hughes and will require surgery before stepping foot on the mats again. It is unclear if ADCC will attempt to find Hughes another opponent but they do plan on announcing a replacement bout later this week.

Anyone got video of Lombard being comprehensively crushed?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Lid posted:

Anyone got video of Lombard being comprehensively crushed?

ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylJ11rxGpiQ

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Odddzy posted:

Ah poo poo, I ordered a rashguard from budovideos but in the wrong size, I contacted them in the ''contact us'' part of the site but I was wondering if they're generally pretty good at modifying mistaken orders? I know i'm probably the first to be dumb enough to order the wrong size on this forum at Budo but I was wondering if someone might have ''a don't worry man'' to give.

I've had to modify orders with them before and they always were good about it. Especially if you caught it before they actually packaged it up and dropped it off for shipment.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
bjjhq rolling deals start in a little under 3 hours.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Feel like the foot lock attempt there was a little questionable, versus getting on top but then the recovery looked like he forgot it's a submission tournament or something.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't think Ryan and Caio's styles are very similar. At the very least (based on training with Ryan) the style you often see from Ryan in tournaments from yester-year is not really the style he preaches/believes in these days.

Ryan advocates a very top-heavy pressure based game. The best guy to watch for that would be Rodolfo Vieria. Another good guy that does some interesting stuff is Leandro Lo. If you've never done BJJ or grappling before, you're probably going to miss out on 99% of the stuff though. It's hard to watch and understand what top pressure really is unless you experience it from a high level guy. Ryan weighs around 150 but he feels heavier than most blue belts that weigh 200-250 (no joke).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
oh yeah trust me I know how it feels to have someone use their weight and pressure against you. it sucks. thanks for the info on those fighters.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Funky Ben vs Tim Kennedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ZkdL145cM

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

*WARNING*

involves tim kennedy not getting owned and in fact being annoyingly competent

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Metamoris announced a North American challenger league today. Pretty stoked for this.

Weight classes run from 155 on up to unlimited for men, and just unlimited for women.

Twenty-four qualifiers with 16 entrants per bracket, followed up by eight regionals.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gonna attempt to shrink the jacket of one of my blue GB pro-train gis. Any advice? any helpful guides out there?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kekekela posted:

Metamoris announced a North American challenger league today. Pretty stoked for this.

Weight classes run from 155 on up to unlimited for men, and just unlimited for women.

Twenty-four qualifiers with 16 entrants per bracket, followed up by eight regionals.

"Spots are limited to 16 people per weight class per location (no exceptions). Our online registration system is built to work in real time and works on a first come first serve basis."

This has the potential to be the dumbest system ever. I hope the qualifiers are filled with newbs that have less than 6 months worth of grappling experience.... but can refresh a webpage like a champ.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

*WARNING*

involves tim kennedy not getting owned and in fact being annoyingly competent

tim kennedy outgrappled roger gracie that one time

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

david carmichael posted:

tim kennedy outgrappled roger gracie that one time

Except for the first 90 seconds of the fight where Roger easily took him down, passed his guard, took his back, and then gassed because cutting to 185 was not a good idea for him.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

2DCAT posted:

"Spots are limited to 16 people per weight class per location (no exceptions). Our online registration system is built to work in real time and works on a first come first serve basis."

This has the potential to be the dumbest system ever. I hope the qualifiers are filled with newbs that have less than 6 months worth of grappling experience.... but can refresh a webpage like a champ.

I was initially worried about that too but I think the $120 entry fee kept people more or less honest. Its definitely got issues but I'm just glad to see more high level no-gi stuff going on.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Kekekela posted:

I was initially worried about that too but I think the $120 entry fee kept people more or less honest. Its definitely got issues but I'm just glad to see more high level no-gi stuff going on.

I suppose we'll see! I doubt that the fee will have much impact in markets such as DC or NYC; the rate is only moderately higher than the ibjjf rates to be honest. I guess the best news for those competing is that there will be so few competitors that they won't have to sit around all day waiting for their name/bracket to be called :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Just recieved the sambo leglocks for no gi grappling dvd. I went through the first volume just to see what he covers and it seemed very very solid.

One thing i'm not really sure about is he says that reaping the knee in no-gi is alright but I can't find concurring with that in the IBJJF rulebook, it actually seems to say it's actually illegal no matter how advanced you're competing at. Can anyone confirm? Deny?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Odddzy posted:

Just recieved the sambo leglocks for no gi grappling dvd. I went through the first volume just to see what he covers and it seemed very very solid.

One thing i'm not really sure about is he says that reaping the knee in no-gi is alright but I can't find concurring with that in the IBJJF rulebook, it actually seems to say it's actually illegal no matter how advanced you're competing at. Can anyone confirm? Deny?

Aye, IBJJF went full derp and made it illegal at ALL levels. The 'cool' thing to do now in IBJJF tournaments is to deliberately throw your opponents leg into a reaping position, scream in pain, and win via DQ. *sigh*

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

2DCAT posted:

Aye, IBJJF went full derp and made it illegal at ALL levels. The 'cool' thing to do now in IBJJF tournaments is to deliberately throw your opponents leg into a reaping position, scream in pain, and win via DQ. *sigh*

If this happens it means the ref made a bad call. The rule is that if you put your opponents leg into the reaping position on purpose you get DQed and not them.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

2DCAT posted:

I suppose we'll see! I doubt that the fee will have much impact in markets such as DC or NYC; the rate is only moderately higher than the ibjjf rates to be honest. I guess the best news for those competing is that there will be so few competitors that they won't have to sit around all day waiting for their name/bracket to be called :)

Yeah good point on the high dollar areas. Overall though either due to lack of talent or cash I was still seeing guys registering as of last night

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Odddzy posted:

It's now illegal at all levels in IBJJF rules, but pretty much every other org allows it in no-gi, at least at the higher levels.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Can anyone give me a time-frame on returning to train after a pulled hamstring? I was still trialing gyms but took a break due to a soccer injury. It wasn't a bad pull (no bruising) but I want to play it safe.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

2DCAT posted:

I've heard this called "The Brazilian Tap".

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've heard this called "The Brazilian Tap".

It's funny because it's true! My favorite part about competing in pans or worlds is flying out to Long Beach and having one of the following occur: 1) a brazilian self-reap their leg, scream and flail, and win by DQ against me 2) watch as the brazilian ref gives my brazilian opponent a million advantages for doing literally nothing while counting to 20 before awarding me any points for passes/sweeps.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
My memory's foggy on this one, but wasn't there a competition where they decreed a certain crank legal if used as a pass but not as a submission, so then whenever someone would use it to pass the other guy would tap real quick and win by DQ?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kekekela posted:

My memory's foggy on this one, but wasn't there a competition where they decreed a certain crank legal if used as a pass but not as a submission, so then whenever someone would use it to pass the other guy would tap real quick and win by DQ?

Happened to Mr Jeff Monson against some guy. Couldn't use a can opener to sub but were allowed to use it to pass (wth?) and when he used it to open other guy's guard he just tapped instantly and celebrated a hard earned victory.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That was Monson vs Pe De Pano, and the best part of that was that they'd already agreed to split the prize money afterwards so there was absolutely nothing on the line. PDP did it for pure love of poor sportsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Here's the video. Skip around cause it's long. "sub" happens at about 4 minutes.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1426h_jeff-monson-vs-pe-de-pano-cruz_sport