Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thewireguy posted:

Yes, this, or buy a pizza.

Please don't spend your nazi gold on baked goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

Please don't spend your nazi gold on baked goods.

I was raised Catholic. I regularly ask for beer/pizza if customers make me go out of my way. Am I going to hell? If so, worth it. I am not looking forward to "freak out Friday" where everyone wants things for the weekend, especially cheap rear end churches, and nobody prepares for it so it is panic from open to close. Every week. Okay, let me gently caress off to that other thread.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Choco1980 posted:

Paula Deen seems like the sort of "innocent" who-me racist that would defend the decision by talking about how Desi wasn't white and she was just trying to accurately capture his image, seemingly unaware that blackface is never excusable. The same sort of racist my grandmother from a generation prior was, using Porch-Monkey in casual conversation, unaware somehow that it was a terrible thing to say because "we always used that word." Then we'd all get mad at her.

I've worked with Bobby Deen a couple of times, and this was the impression I got from him. He's a super nice dude, and goes out of his way to talk to every crew member of the shows he works on. I'd like to believe that he's a well-meaning bonehead.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

According to an unsourced quote from a rep, all those dumb Warhammer rules are for all the old armies that the game is supposed to be 'compatible' with and isn't found in the new stuff. It's literally meant to embarrass their player base - their long term playerbase into buying the new stuff instead of using the old stuff they've sunk dumb amounts of money into.

Small company Mantic Games has a game called 'Kings of War'. Kings of War is usable with Warhammer Fantasy figures.
Mantic Games has seen an enormous surge in sales of their game recently.

Hopefully that isn't too much warham sperging. I don't even play these games. I just found the whole thing too insane not to follow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bewilderment posted:

Small company Mantic Games has a game called 'Kings of War'. Kings of War is usable with Warhammer Fantasy figures.

Hopefully that isn't too much warham sperging. I don't even play these games. I just found the whole thing too insane not to follow.

If someone comes out with a good ruleset compatible with the 40k focus that would make a lot of goons happy sperg

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

bewilderment posted:

According to an unsourced quote from a rep, all those dumb Warhammer rules are for all the old armies that the game is supposed to be 'compatible' with and isn't found in the new stuff. It's literally meant to embarrass their player base - their long term playerbase into buying the new stuff instead of using the old stuff they've sunk dumb amounts of money into.

Here's a blog (trigger warning: it's on tumblr) which is all about just having fun with Warhammer, and saving money using unofficial miniatures from other companies.

Would you get kicked out of events for showing up with third party miniatures?

Non-warhammer content: Keurig coffee maker DRM.

Recent Keurig coffee machines had been set up with artificial restrictions, so that they'd only work with properly licensed coffee capsules. The DRM worked by checking for a special ink on the lid of the capsule.

Of course no customer wants this "feature", no matter how you try to explain it to them. "For your safety/convenience/added value". Of course not, they did this because the patent on the design of their capsules had recently expired. And of course it was really easy to defeat, using the lid from a valid coffee capsule, and perhaps a bit of tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e0yCq1AEeY

A coffee maker actually started selling a cheap device that amounts to the same as the lid+tape solution, but looks a bit more polished, so that you can still enjoy their coffee with the DRM'ed brewers: https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/Freedom-Clip.html

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/keurig-stock-drops-10-percent-says-it-was-wrong-about-drm-coffee-pods/

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Stick Insect posted:

Here's a blog (trigger warning: it's on tumblr) which is all about just having fun with Warhammer, and saving money using unofficial miniatures from other companies.

yes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stick Insect posted:

It completely depends upon the event. Some events you have kids showing up with half-painted figures and proxies and nobody cares.

But serious events you'd get tossed out. There are some people who take 40K so seriously that every single figure you field has to match the equipment you bought for them. If you buy a power sword for your librarian, you have to go get a plastic power sword and glue it to your librarian if he doesn't have one. If he does have one and you don't buy it, you have to break the power sword off and glue a bolter pistol in its place or whatever.

Each figure you buy has default weapons but the ruleset allows you to customize each unit with lots of options. Some models come in a modular fashion with a few options and you can pick the one you're fielding (hope you don't change your mind later) but some models just straight up come as-is with no options in the box and you have to source your own helmets or swords or whatever.

poo poo is loving crazy.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I don't understand the appeal of Keurig machines. I guess it's a marketing success?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

queserasera posted:

I don't understand the appeal of Keurig machines. I guess it's a marketing success?
You don't understand quick easy coffee to go within a minute or so? Yeah sure there are other quick methods and no poo poo real fresh coffee beans taste better but they packaged it up in a convenient package, you seriously don't understand that?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
They eliminate drama over office coffee too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

queserasera posted:

Americans are really lazy and stupid and would rather insert a preloaded cup into an automatic coffee machine than pour out coffee beans into a filter.

Some genius of marketing realized this, sold everybody super fancy automatic coffeemakers, and then DRM'd the gently caress out of the preloaded cups.

Its basically the same business model from Printers being applied to other businesses. Sell the fancy automatic printers for a fair price to win over market share, then charge a loving arm and a leg for spare ink cartridges. (To the point where buying a new printer is sometimes cheaper :psyduck:)

ElwoodCuse posted:

They eliminate drama over office coffee too

I once burned the office Carafe and now I'm terrified I might do it again :smith:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

queserasera posted:

I had the chance to be part of a marketing survey for Keurig a couple weeks ago, so I said what the hell. Apparently they're coming out with a make-your-own granola bar machine. Damned if that doesn't sound like the stupidest thing ever, but I'm sure K-cups also sounded stupid at the time, so...

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

my mom has a keurig because she found it easier to just make one cup really fast in the morning than gently caress around with an entire coffeemaker while my four under-12 siblings swarmed around her ankles, and unless they've recently changed the way the machines work the DRM isn't even DRM - she has a reusable cup she bought at the dollar store and just refills with whatever nice beans she buys instead of paying out the rear end for the proprietary poo poo.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Hmm. Keurig in a shared space makes more sense. So why does Keurig market the drat thing for home use? Get a four-cup coffee maker for 50 bucks, or a 12-cup for 20 and also get a thermos.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAS5rIXKiA

EDIT: ^^^^ Now I'm beginning to understand. :downs:

I brought my Drake has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jul 10, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

InediblePenguin posted:

my mom has a keurig because she found it easier to just make one cup really fast in the morning than gently caress around with an entire coffeemaker while my four under-12 siblings swarmed around her ankles, and unless they've recently changed the way the machines work the DRM isn't even DRM - she has a reusable cup she bought at the dollar store and just refills with whatever nice beans she buys instead of paying out the rear end for the proprietary poo poo.

The Keurig "DRM" only applies to the Keurig 2.0. Rogers Family Coffee basically saw that for the dumb bullshit that it was and filed a lawsuit with Green Mountain, in addition to making the Freedom Clip. It's a crazy situation, but luckily, I have the K120 (the small base Keurig model), so it doesn't really apply to me.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
It's the razor-and-blades business model isn't it? Inkjet printers are very typical examples of this. But also games consoles, which are often sold at a loss but the games sold are supposed to more than make up for that.

I don't have a Keurig but I do like my Senseo, which is also a single-serving coffee machine. It's pretty quick and convenient when you just want to brew a single cup. But instead of the Keurig format this system uses "coffee pods" which are essentially sealed coffee paper envelopes with grounds in them. Cheaper and not as harmful for the environment, but once you open a bag of them they're all exposed to the air, unlike the Keurig ones which are airtight.

Senseo started as a co-op project between Philips (machine maker) and Douwe Egberts (coffee seller). No DRM here, but they went to court when competing coffee brands started selling compatible coffee pods. The judge told them to shut up and now there's a wider selection of coffee flavours available, and they're often cheaper too.

Zaphod42 posted:

I once burned the office Carafe and now I'm terrified I might do it again :smith:
At work, I dropped the pot and shattered it as I was cleaning it. Coffee is so much nicer if the coffee making equipment is clean.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Americans are really lazy and stupid and would rather insert a preloaded cup into an automatic coffee machine than pour out coffee beans into a filter.

Pod coffee sales are higher in Western Europe than America. Haha those stupid lazy americans though right?

I don't use one because the cost/benefit never worked out for me, but how does someone not get the appeal of a Keurig/Nespresso/Whatever single-serving coffee maker? No prep, no cleanup, and nearly as cost effective if you're just making a single cup. Also solves every problem with a coffee maker in a shared space; no more passive-aggressive notes for someone to clean the coffee maker or stop using so much of the communal coffee.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Pod coffee sales are higher in Western Europe than America. Haha those stupid lazy americans though right?

I don't use one because the cost/benefit never worked out for me, but how does someone not get the appeal of a Keurig/Nespresso/Whatever single-serving coffee maker? No prep, no cleanup, and nearly as cost effective if you're just making a single cup. Also solves every problem with a coffee maker in a shared space; no more passive-aggressive notes for someone to clean the coffee maker or stop using so much of the communal coffee.

These type of machines are only of use when you have an office full of people too lazy to accept the simple responsibility of keeping a filter machine filled with a) coffee and b) water.

Such simple tasks that only an office staffed by complete inconsiderate assholes would fail to manage.

Hence, they are very popular.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Danger Mahoney posted:

Also everyone can have their favorite coffee or whatever. In my office we have two coffee drinkers, a tea drinker, a Mormon and a cider drinker so the Keurig is Mormon Jesus sent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its basically the same business model from Printers being applied to other businesses. Sell the fancy automatic printers for a fair price to win over market share, then charge a loving arm and a leg for spare ink cartridges. (To the point where buying a new printer is sometimes cheaper :psyduck:)

The cartridges in new printers might not be the same volume as the cartridges sold to go in that machine...

InediblePenguin posted:

So she uses it as an espresso machine? We had a nespresso machine that I got free at work years ago, we quickly realised it made as much mess as an espresso machine but cost nearly 50 times as much to run so sold it and bought an espresso machine, can't live without it now, even if we cheat and buy preground beans.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Cakefool posted:

So she uses it as an espresso machine?
No, she uses it as a single-cup coffeemaker which operates much more quickly and cleanly than the Mr Coffee she had before she got the Keurig??? Espressomaking is not the same thing and requires a certain grind and a certain amount of water pressure running through it, which the Keurig does not do the way an espresso machine does

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

spog posted:

These type of machines are only of use when you have an office full of people too lazy to accept the simple responsibility of keeping a filter machine filled with a) coffee and b) water.

Such simple tasks that only an office staffed by complete inconsiderate assholes would fail to manage.

Hence, they are very popular.

At my office, the administrative assistant makes sure there is coffee in the morning, runs the dishwasher, empties out the coffee at end of day, and checks on it once in a while. I have never seen the coffee empty, except in the morning when we go through it as fast as we can brew it. Sorry about your lovely office.

Personally, if I can find a full-sized French press for home, I'm bringing my small one into work with some grounds already in there. The coffee is plentiful, but not palatable.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Jul 10, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

At my office, the administrative assistant makes sure there is coffee in the morning, runs the dishwasher, empties out the coffee at end of day, and checks on it once in a while. I have never seen the coffee empty, except in the morning when we go through it as fast as we can brew it. Sorry about your lovely office.

Personally, if I can find a full-sized French press for home, I'm bringing my small one into work with some grounds already in there. The coffee is plentiful, but not palatable.

That's nice when you have a dedicated person to make your coffee for you but when you have an office full of people not sure whose responsibility it is (it's the person who empties the pot), you end up with a bunch of passive aggressive notes like the person above stated. Or you just buy a Keurig instead of paying someone to clean up after you and change your diapers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mizuti posted:

Oh no, MLMs are still thriving. I'm not sure how exactly they market it, but they always seem to find more suckers to fleece. On a grand scale, they accomplish quite the opposite of dumb marketing.

The sales pitches of the fools at the bottom of the pyramid scheme are another thing. :v:

"Yes, the business model is set up so that 90% of the people joining in lose money in an endless cycle of inventory purchases, but I'm smart enough and work hard enough to be that 10%! I won't get suckered!"

*Ends up desperately trying to rope in any random acquaintance, co-worker, or family member they can find in a feeble attempt to make their initial payment back*

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Or you just buy a Keurig instead of paying someone to clean up after you and change your diapers.

I never use a keurig machine if I can avoid it, they are so wasteful.

Most people do make the new pot, but we have someone who makes sure just in case. Their job is to keep the office running smoothly, which they do and do well. There's a lot more to it, but making sure the break room and the nominally for guests candy jar are well stocked is part of it.

I do have a pretty awesome office, though. Maybe that's not normal.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I never use a keurig machine if I can avoid it, they are so wasteful.

Most people do make the new pot, but we have someone who makes sure just in case. Their job is to keep the office running smoothly, which they do and do well. There's a lot more to it, but making sure the break room and the nominally for guests candy jar are well stocked is part of it.

I do have a pretty awesome office, though. Maybe that's not normal.

I'm talking out my rear end, really. My building is a Start-Up share-space and we have community break rooms that have coffee that gets changed out regularly. We have a coffee shop in the lobby and a "play room" with 2 kegs, usable at any time. This all comes as part of membership to the building.

Talk about pampered.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

queserasera posted:

Hmm. Keurig in a shared space makes more sense. So why does Keurig market the drat thing for home use? Get a four-cup coffee maker for 50 bucks, or a 12-cup for 20 and also get a thermos.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAS5rIXKiA

EDIT: ^^^^ Now I'm beginning to understand. :downs:

:stare: Was that Bunny from The Wire? Dude must be having trouble finding work :ohdear:

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Stick Insect posted:

A coffee maker actually started selling a cheap device that amounts to the same as the lid+tape solution, but looks a bit more polished, so that you can still enjoy their coffee with the DRM'ed brewers: https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/Freedom-Clip.html

The local grocery outlet periodically gets an 'eco-friendly' 240-pack of paper K-cups that comes with a free adapter which has a middle finger printed on it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Was that Bunny from The Wire? Dude must be having trouble finding work :ohdear:

Wow. Rawls really hosed him over.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MindlessHavok posted:

That's nice when you have a dedicated person to make your coffee for you but when you have an office full of people not sure whose responsibility it is (it's the person who empties the pot), you end up with a bunch of passive aggressive notes like the person above stated. Or you just buy a Keurig instead of paying someone to clean up after you and change your diapers.

Then you have people that just empty the pot when nobody is looking or leave 1/4 of a cup and be all like "well I didn't empty it" or some such. It really truly is quite magnificent the lengths people will go to to avoid expending the like minute of time and effort it takes to make a pot of coffee.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

thewireguy posted:

Thanks, bookmarked. There is a reason I stay in the back of the house. I will call you out on your stupidity. And approving proofs and complaining about your typos! I will rant somewhere else.

There seems to be a lot of print industry goons. Wonder if we should start up a separate gripes thread for ourselves.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

Life imitates art.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Having a Keurig is pretty handy if you need near instant hot water for something.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Today i went to Burger King (yeah yeah, get it out of your system) and while there decided to hook up to the wi-fi because my phone shits the bed if it detects it but isn't connected to it. Anyways, when I went to log in, it instead went to a page that tried to run a video ad while a timer counted down with the message "interact with the ad!". However, the video totally hosed up and wouldn't play, but the timer still counted down. I can only imagine what that meant. Once the time was up it had a link that said "I'm done with the ad now..." to click on that felt extra smarmy.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

XYZ posted:

Having a Keurig is pretty handy if you need near instant hot water for something.

People use our industrial size one for tea, oatmeal, etc.

Places I've worked without one: people make the coffee lovely because they can't count and you get a bad pot, people don't make the coffee at all, you have to make a whole new pot if you want a cup past 11 am; you have to gamble if that afternoon pot has been sitting there for hours, it's stupid to make a pot that one cup gets drunk from, etc.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Jesus Christ, just get a French press.

Done.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lol if you don't roast and grind your own beans then brew them using an inverted aeropress.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Lol if you don't have your manservant Enrique grind the beans using his feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

davidspackage posted:

Lol if you don't have your manservant Enrique grind the beans using his feet

I do this too but it's not really about the coffee honestly