Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

I don't think that Soul Cannon could bear my strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Nice. I got white mage/mystic knight too but bard/dancer instead. I have no clue if I'll be able to beat the optional bosses with that or not.

You have bard, so yeah. Stack singing for Omega with Romeo and Speedy Etude, and worst case with Shinryu you can cheese reflecting zombies and Hide.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

White Mages can berserk Shinryu, so that's not a problem. If you want to completely humiliate the beast, combine Berserk with Blink.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am going to assume the answer is no, but I'll ask: If you put a command in the second slot of a Berserker that does a direct action, i.e. !Zeninage vs. a second menu of actions like !Black or !White, is there a chance the Berserker will select that action randomly, or does it only just Fight and nothing else?

I figure if it could randomly do something like !Zeninage or !Ianuki then that would be pretty cool, but if not, I'd rather stick to Shirahadori until I get the Rune Axe then switch to !Black6.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Leofish posted:

I am going to assume the answer is no, but I'll ask: If you put a command in the second slot of a Berserker that does a direct action, i.e. !Zeninage vs. a second menu of actions like !Black or !White, is there a chance the Berserker will select that action randomly, or does it only just Fight and nothing else?

I figure if it could randomly do something like !Zeninage or !Ianuki then that would be pretty cool, but if not, I'd rather stick to Shirahadori until I get the Rune Axe then switch to !Black6.

No, it won't do any direct actions. !Black6 + Rune Axe wouldn't be very viable if the Berserker randomly decided to cast Ice instead!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Poque posted:

No, it won't do any direct actions. !Black6 + Rune Axe wouldn't be very viable if the Berserker randomly decided to cast Ice instead!

That's what I figured, but I thought if it was just a thing that does the same thing all the time, like Ianuki, then he might just flip out and kill the whole screen at random, and that's be pretty sweet.

Thanks!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leofish posted:

That's what I figured, but I thought if it was just a thing that does the same thing all the time, like Ianuki, then he might just flip out and kill the whole screen at random, and that's be pretty sweet.

Thanks!

The FFVA Balance Mod in the second post of the thread actually lets the Berserker use certain commands automatically. No Ianuki unfortunately, but they can do stuff like Rapidfire, Jump, and Mug.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Monk / Time Mage / Bard / Dragoon (Team Spacetime Karate) all done. This was fun for the most part. Time Mage is definitely one of the best classes in the game since just about everything can be slowed and haste is wonderful. They're especially powerful in a FJF since their spells have nothing to do with magic, so even a totally outclassed class like Monk can be useful at the end of the game. Bards can destroy the universe by themselves, of course.

I am Neo Exdeath! *patiently waits his turn*

*doesn't get one*

*dies*

I gave up on Omega after three hours. I'm not sure if it's different on iOS but I was unable to keep him locked down with three singers, hasted, after maxing out their speed with swift song. The input timings are just off or something. He gets a turn eventually no matter what you do, and when he does he attacks twice and there isn't much he does that doesn't kill me outright. I don't know if I could have killed Shinryuu, I was angry and wanted out at that point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Completed my Black Mage/Zerker/Blue Mage/Mystic Knight random run. Decided I should suffer more with a chaos + natural run.

What's gilgabot give me for the 1st job? Summoner.

This is gonna be hilarious! :byodood:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

OzFactor posted:

I gave up on Omega after three hours. I'm not sure if it's different on iOS but I was unable to keep him locked down with three singers, hasted, after maxing out their speed with swift song. The input timings are just off or something. He gets a turn eventually no matter what you do, and when he does he attacks twice and there isn't much he does that doesn't kill me outright. I don't know if I could have killed Shinryuu, I was angry and wanted out at that point.

You have a time mage. Just quickleak him.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
That is not worth my time when I can't fast forward. I'm also not sure it would work; that seems like the kind of thing the mobile version would have fixed.

I've started up another run anyway. Chaos this time. I got Beastmaster as my first class. Do I need to stay all Freelancers until the Water Crystal or should I just ask for all my jobs and hope I can use one?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

OzFactor posted:

That is not worth my time when I can't fast forward. I'm also not sure it would work; that seems like the kind of thing the mobile version would have fixed.

I've started up another run anyway. Chaos this time. I got Beastmaster as my first class. Do I need to stay all Freelancers until the Water Crystal or should I just ask for all my jobs and hope I can use one?

Chaos is set to give you your first job at the earliest possible point, to keep you from using Freelancers as little as possible. There's nothing wrong with asking for your jobs in advance, but you won't have something you get before Walse Tower. If you're playing on GBA, you can use the Fiesta mod in the 2nd post to unlock everything from the start. Ah, wait, you said you were on mobile.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 10, 2015

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Fartz, who is still questioning why his parents would name him that, and his new team have finished run #3.

I gave Omega a few shots but he schooled me. Any suggestions or should I just move on to run #4?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Beastmaster / Dragoon / Chemist / Chemist

Well, I'm definitely going to win eventually. Go Team Animal Drug Abuse!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

OzFactor posted:

That's not an iOS thing. You have to stagger your Stops. If you just have everyone sing one after the other without waiting, only the first one actually does anything. The second and third would be trying to inflict Stop on something that is already stopped which has no actual effect.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Nice. I got white mage/mystic knight too but bard/dancer instead. I have no clue if I'll be able to beat the optional bosses with that or not.
Yes, you absolutely can. You don't even need bard. White mage is a free pass past shinryu, since you can berserk him first turn and then just have everyone(who should have white lv4 at least as their ability) cast blink on everyone so you never take damage. Omega's a bit harder but you can kill him in six hits with a thundaga'd weapon for max damage(probably chicken knife or an Enhancer) and heal/revive through wave cannon/mustard bomb with your white mage/white magic casting teammates. Just gotta hope he doesn't use encircle much.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, you absolutely can. You don't even need bard. White mage is a free pass past shinryu, since you can berserk him first turn and then just have everyone(who should have white lv4 at least as their ability) cast blink on everyone so you never take damage. Omega's a bit harder but you can kill him in six hits with a thundaga'd weapon for max damage(probably chicken knife or an Enhancer) and heal/revive through wave cannon/mustard bomb with your white mage/white magic casting teammates. Just gotta hope he doesn't use encircle much.

and bard can keep omega locked down with romeo's ballad~

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

With my first successful (generic) run, I decided to do a chaos run with the Fiesta mod, for fun, and ended up with:

Summoner/Dragoon/Chemist/Chemist

Sorry for everyone whose Chemists I'm hogging. :(

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, well. White Mage and then Red Mage? This is going to be the grindiest game :smith: Doublecast white magic means that Shinryu is going to be even more of a chump than last time, but I am in desperate need of damage dealing ability between Karnak up until Fork Tower.

Hope I get something good for my next two jobs, or my second run will also have no chance of pulling off the triple crown. I'm thinking... Ninja/Chemist. Yeah. If I roll geomancer again, I'm straight up quitting :v:

On the other hand... Can't RMs use rods? :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, they can. And you'll be able to dualcast Holy in the lategame.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Well, well. White Mage and then Red Mage? This is going to be the grindiest game :smith: Doublecast white magic means that Shinryu is going to be even more of a chump than last time, but I am in desperate need of damage dealing ability between Karnak up until Fork Tower.

Hope I get something good for my next two jobs, or my second run will also have no chance of pulling off the triple crown. I'm thinking... Ninja/Chemist. Yeah. If I roll geomancer again, I'm straight up quitting :v:

rdm has plenty of offense in world one, they don't tank until you get level 4 spells in world 2 (i.e. twenty minutes into world 2)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

David Corbett posted:

They can also use !White to bump up their magic score to something respectable. Or you can give your White Mage !Red and gain access to attack magic that way.

Really, Red Mage is a perfectly capable class through all of world 1. It's only once the other casters get shell, bio and the -agas that they stop being able to catch up.

ef;b

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Edward_Tohr posted:

They can also use !White to bump up their magic score to something respectable. Or you can give your White Mage !Red and gain access to attack magic that way.

Really, Red Mage is a perfectly capable class through all of world 1. It's only once the other casters get shell, bio and the -agas that they stop being able to catch up.

ef;b

Right, right. I guess through World 1 I'll be largely equivalent to a black mage; it's World 2 that would be tough, but at least I'll be able to break rods to correct for my lack of -aga spells. Dualcast Holy will be phenomenal against anything that's not Shinryu, particularly since I can stack one up with the Sage's Staff.

I'm looking here with some trepidation to what I will get for Fire and Earth.

For Fire, I figure Ninja would be the best, since it'd really smarten up my physical offence for random encounters and would allow me to use a great attack combo like twin lance/chicken knife. Ranger would be like a strictly worse Ninja, though rapid fire at least goes well with bows.

Bard would probably win me a Triple Crown all on its own for its ability to shut Omega down, but I'm not sure what else it's good for.

Beastmaster ... I don't know enough to comment intelligently on this job, but it'd probably be the end of any Triple Crown hopes. E: totally untrue; I'm playing GBA and would !calm the heck out of him.

I just did a run with a geomancer, so no need to say anything there.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

David Corbett posted:

Beastmaster ... I don't know enough to comment intelligently on this job, but it'd probably be the end of any Triple Crown hopes.

Beastmaster has the capacity to be an incredible job. Releasing the right monster can practically win tough fights all by itself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

David Corbett posted:

Ranger would be like a strictly worse Ninja, though rapid fire at least goes well with bows.

Y'do know you can Rapid Fire with any weapon, right? Including the Chicken Knife? :v:

E: Also a Beastmaster is a free triple crown in and of itself, while we're on the subject.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Right, right. I guess through World 1 I'll be largely equivalent to a black mage; it's World 2 that would be tough, but at least I'll be able to break rods to correct for my lack of -aga spells. Dualcast Holy will be phenomenal against anything that's not Shinryu, particularly since I can stack one up with the Sage's Staff.

I'm looking here with some trepidation to what I will get for Fire and Earth.

For Fire, I figure Ninja would be the best, since it'd really smarten up my physical offence for random encounters and would allow me to use a great attack combo like twin lance/chicken knife. Ranger would be like a strictly worse Ninja, though rapid fire at least goes well with bows.

Bard would probably win me a Triple Crown all on its own for its ability to shut Omega down, but I'm not sure what else it's good for.

Beastmaster ... I don't know enough to comment intelligently on this job, but it'd probably be the end of any Triple Crown hopes.

I just did a run with a geomancer, so no need to say anything there.

bard's buffs are insane and romeo's ballad's insanely strong, my first run ever was whm/rdm/brd/dnc and it was ok (that's a loving lie having to erely on dancer for damage sucked my rear end but once i got buffed up with bard spells i was crazy strong and whm made me unkillable). you can kill omega easy peasy with either bard or beastmaster and whm already trivializes shinryu so

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Aight. Sounds like way more jobs are feasible in FFV than I had previously thought. For the FJF, what are the worst pulls for each Crystal? Thief/monk, berserker, geomancer and dancer or dragoon, right?

E: Kyrosiris, wouldn't a rapid fire chicken knife have a chance to proc flee?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

David Corbett posted:

Aight. Sounds like way more jobs are feasible in FFV than I had previously thought. For the FJF, what are the worst pulls for each Crystal? Thief/monk, berserker, geomancer and dancer or dragoon, right?

Nope, because Rapid Fire does not allow weapon procs to fire. Between that, the guaranteed hit rate, and the ignoring defense, Chicken Knife Rapid Fire is the single fastest way to murderize a single target.

Also yeah, Monk/Zerk/Geo/Dragoon (or Dancer, if you want to be wrong) is generally considered the worst lineup in a standard run.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

David Corbett posted:

Earth doesn't really have a bad pull. The worst is probably Dragoon and even that's decent. It just doesn't really do anything special.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Sweet. Thanks for the help!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I seem only cappable of playing this game in spurts, got back into the game and took down atmos first try, I got the impression he was supposed to be tough but knowing his gimmick going in and having a white mage as well as throwing money at him for massive damage took him out right quick. Am I closing in on the end of this game? I have no idea how long FF5 is since I have never played it before. Also, with the following set-up...

...What should my secondary abilities look like?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

axelsoar posted:

...What should my secondary abilities look like?

White Mage @ Shirahadori, Sage's Staff/Circlet/Black Robe/Hermes Sandals
Berserker @ !White 6, Rune Axe/Aegis Shield/Crystal Helmet/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Ranger @ Rapid Fire, Chicken Knife/Black Hood/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Samurai @ !White 6, Masamune (or Murakumo if you decide to steal one)/Aegis Shield/Crystal Helmet/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

White Mage @ Shirahadori, Sage's Staff/Circlet/Black Robe/Hermes Sandals
Berserker @ !White 6, Rune Axe/Aegis Shield/Crystal Helmet/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Ranger @ Rapid Fire, Chicken Knife/Black Hood/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Samurai @ !White 6, Masamune (or Murakumo if you decide to steal one)/Aegis Shield/Crystal Helmet/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals

i'd go with rapidfire instead of white on the samurai if you're running low on gil but yeah pretty much this

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

i'd go with rapidfire instead of white on the samurai if you're running low on gil but yeah pretty much this

Yeah, that's entirely valid; I like having two usable White users whenever I get it just to get things up with the quickness, but I can see going either way.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, that's entirely valid; I like having two usable White users whenever I get it just to get things up with the quickness, but I can see going either way.

yeah depends on if you want to focus on offense or defense. my problem with white's that sam's magic's pretty bad so holy and the cures aren't super powerful, but then again zeninage's so good that rapidfire might be unnecessary anyway and it'd be better to have some utility. either way that's a super powerful party

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Fungah! posted:

yeah depends on if you want to focus on offense or defense. my problem with white's that sam's magic's pretty bad so holy and the cures aren't super powerful, but then again zeninage's so good that rapidfire might be unnecessary anyway and it'd be better to have some utility. either way that's a super powerful party

Except !White gives whoever equips it the Magic of a White Mage. So they'd be tossing out the same numbers as the dedicated caster would.

Unless you only have !White level 1 or 2 or something, I guess.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Edward_Tohr posted:

Except !White gives whoever equips it the Magic of a White Mage. So they'd be tossing out the same numbers as the dedicated caster would.

Unless you only have !White level 1 or 2 or something, I guess.

whoops yeah forgot about that, zuh zuh zuh. i'd probably still go with rapidfire but yeah

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Fungah! posted:

whoops yeah forgot about that, zuh zuh zuh. i'd probably still go with rapidfire but yeah

Is that how that works? Is that why my berserker with white magic has mp to rival my white mage?

edit: also, I picked up a reflect ring from one of the reflect knights in the barrier tower. Was that my only chance to get those? Do I care about reflect rings with my party set-up?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Fungah! posted:

Oh yeah. !Rapidfire is loving broken. Auto-hit double damage that also ignores defense? For free? Every round? Why the gently caress not!

... That said, !Iainuki is hilarious if you get it early enough. :v:

axelsoar posted:

Is that how that works? Is that why my berserker with white magic has mp to rival my white mage?

That is exactly why, yes.

And it'll be your only chance until later. I think you can Thief Knife some in World 3, but Barrier Tower is the first and easiest way for most teams.

Then again, you have Protect, Shell, and Curaga, so I think you can get by without them.

... Is Reflect White or Time in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

axelsoar posted:

Correct! Specifically, the formula of stat inheritance is:

!WHITE
Magic Power = White Mage Magic Power - 2 * (6 - White Mage Job Level)

So if you have !White 6, that last bit is 6 - 6 or 0, and you get full White Mage magic power - which is base of 49 (versus 1 for a Berserker).

The primary reason for this - aside from having another out-of-battle healer - is what it does to the Rune Axe. Consider the following:

quote:

[15:24:16] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 45 rune 1
[15:24:17] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 45 Strength and 1 Magic Power, your Rune weapon M is 14. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength or 129 for Magic.
[15:24:22] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 45 rune 49
[15:24:23] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 45 Strength and 49 Magic Power, your Rune weapon M is 27. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength or 37 for Magic.

Putting !White 6 on a Berserker with the Rune Axe results in nearly doubling its damage. :black101:

• Locked thread