Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I wasn't implying that, really. I was just providing a counter-point to the idea that a college degree is absolutely necessary to become a high-wage earner. On balance, it's a more likely scenario, yeah.

EDIT: At least here in the Southeast, hard trades (welding, fabricating, pipefitting, etc.) can pull in very respectable yearly salaries for only a fraction of the education required by 4-year universities. And although many of those trades do support the petro/chem industries, they aren't exclusive to those industries.

Probably no expectation to get out of work at a reasonable hour to still do errands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

From what some goons here have said they require like double the hours of a traditional job (60 hour weeks are not only common, but expected).

While true, they're not the only industry that employs this tactic (if my IT friends are to be believed). Also, much of it is shift work that actually averages out appropriately over the course of a year.

Perfect example: I've just accepted a position in New Orleans doing ship traffic control (I have previous experience). The schedule is 7 days on/7 days off with work being 12 hours a day. This averages out to near the same amount of hours as someone working a traditional 5-days/week & 8 hours/day. Another difference is these industries usually don't engage too much in yearly salary; they're much more saturated with hourly or daily pay positions.

I'm neither arguing for or against one particular work lifestyle versus the other. I'm just pointing out that currently there are industries that support non-degreed workers with high pay. Whether that remains or not is another question.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

Probably no expectation to get out of work at a reasonable hour to still do errands.

See my above post. Working day shifts makes it a lot more untenable, but usually folks are not tied to a single shift position endlessly unless they request it. Most people tend to move through days, nights, & swings.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/bernie-sanders-jeb-bush-longer-hours-comment-react-119948.html?cmpid=sf#ixzz3fV5WlYzO

Sanderssupports Jeb Bush's comments about working more hours! And miraculously doesn't actually in reality support Jeb Bush's comments! Journalism is great.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nonsense posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/bernie-sanders-jeb-bush-longer-hours-comment-react-119948.html?cmpid=sf#ixzz3fV5WlYzO

Sanderssupports Jeb Bush's comments about working more hours! And miraculously doesn't actually in reality support Jeb Bush's comments! Journalism is great.

Didnt politco publish a thing about Bernie recently being like Bernie has a secretttt :ssh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Didnt politco publish a thing about Bernie recently being like Bernie has a secretttt :ssh:

Yes and the secret was he had a kid out of wedlock and doesn't really like talking about it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes and the secret was he had a kid out of wedlock and doesn't really like talking about it.

I wonder why. Luckily I think the same generation of people who voted B-Rock into office care less and less about that kind of stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I wonder why. Luckily I think the same generation of people who voted B-Rock into office care less and less about that kind of stuff.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone has at least one kid out of wedlock these days.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

JT Jag posted:

If Trump is kept out of the debates, it wouldn't surprise me if he bought airtime on one of the other major networks to host his own yooj, luxurious debate, with him and every other person who didn't make the cut for Fox News.

He'd try to do it at the same time, but I doubt they'd let him.

Two words: Gilded podiums.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Got an email from Rand talking about how he is introducing a bill that will cut federal funds for 'sanctuary cities'. Federal laws must be honored!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Vhen I mentioned wedlock, he put me in a headlock! Vhen I asked to be his wife he stabbed me with a kitchen knife!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Man, if only there were a jobs program to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and pay people a living wage doing it!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

McDowell posted:

Got an email from Rand talking about how he is introducing a bill that will cut federal funds for 'sanctuary cities'. Federal laws must be honored!

Uh, it's "state's rights" not "city's right". Checkmate, municipists! :smug:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

pwnyXpress posted:

Man, if only there were a jobs program to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and pay people a living wage doing it!

That sounds an awful lot like Communism, comrade.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
OOH OOH OOH!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Daniel Bryan posted:

OOH OOH OOH!

This is almost certainly an illusion but one of the Twitter fav icons down there looks like he's doing a Nazi salute.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
It's like the old "Yes, We Can," but with an extra dose of honesty. "It Can Be Done" (with billionaire megabux) and gently caress y'all, there's no need for you.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

:confused:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wait so who is Can Be Done? I've never heard of him. Did somebody else jump in the clown car?

Who are you, Mr. Done? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

He should have had his slogan be "Scott Walker: probably doable"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

He should have had his slogan be "Scott Walker: probably doable"

"Scott Walker: Plausibly Feasible"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

skaboomizzy posted:

"Scott Walker: Plausibly Feasible"

"It could happen. Really."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Scott Walker: Hey! It could happen! McWooooooooooooorld!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Scott Walker: "I'd like the Koch's to buy the world"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

:drat:

Scott Walker managed to make the most boring ARG in the history of the world.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Scott Walker: The Koch Brothers Are My Focus Group

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If Bernie's backing Bush's comments about working more hours because it was talking about the need for full-time hours and benefits rather than everyone getting jerked around with part-time such that they need multiple jobs, good. I thought it was pretty unfair for everyone to interpret that comment as "Jeb's so out of touch, he wants us to work 100-hour weeks in the salt-mines", it's the same poo poo we complain about when Republicans take half a soundbite and explain what Obama really meant.

I mean, he's a Bush, he probably thinks we should all be working 100 hours in the salt mines, but we don't need to stretch what he said to fit.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Dolash posted:

If Bernie's backing Bush's comments about working more hours because it was talking about the need for full-time hours and benefits rather than everyone getting jerked around with part-time such that they need multiple jobs, good. I thought it was pretty unfair for everyone to interpret that comment as "Jeb's so out of touch, he wants us to work 100-hour weeks in the salt-mines", it's the same poo poo we complain about when Republicans take half a soundbite and explain what Obama really meant.

I mean, he's a Bush, he probably thinks we should all be working 100 hours in the salt mines, but we don't need to stretch what he said to fit.

I had more of a problem with the fact he said we needed to be more productive to boost the economy, disregarding the previously mentioned disconnect between increased worker productivity and compensation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dolash posted:

If Jeb! just wanted fewer part-time jobs it's a lot easier to say that than just wish that the American 46.7 hour average work week was longer. Perhaps Jeb! should think about what he says when running for President instead of taking 2 to 4 attempts to finally say what he means every time, following clamor from the unwashed masses.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
After this, Scott Walker could be done.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

I. . . I . . . I. . .

:golfclap:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Scott Walker's BoA logo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Man that was a terrible article. They kept on implying there was some big scandal about his son, but in the end they had literally nothing on his son and the entire story was both his ex-wife and son refused their calls.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Man that was a terrible article. They kept on implying there was some big scandal about his son, but in the end they had literally nothing on his son and the entire story was both his ex-wife and son refused their calls.

A divorcee with a bastard child? Welp, wrap it. He's been Bern Noticed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought him and his ex wife had a decent relationship and he has a relationship with his son, he just doesn't really talk about it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Walker, POLITICO reports that Walker's going to sign a 20-week abortion ban, which according to POLITICO is great news for Scott Walker, yaaaaay

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Did they actually say his son was born out of wedlock? It seemed they couldn't even say that for sure, they just kind of implied it, but maybe I missed it.

Hollismason posted:

I thought him and his ex wife had a decent relationship and he has a relationship with his son, he just doesn't really talk about it.

That was the entire article yeah.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait it wasn't his Ex Wife, it was that he had a child out of wedlock then he married someone else, he didn't marry the woman he had the kid with.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure this is the case. In the rolling stone article he reached over and took a bite of his son's eggplant parm sandwich :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I really wish he would turn that around as sort of a mic drop during debates and stuff.

"And furthermore, perhaps banks shouldn't be able to legally take your first born as payment. You've been Berned!"

• Locked thread