Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, the Retribution campaigns aren't all that great because they're all identical with different voiceovers and heroes. The Ork campaign is fantastic though and if you only play one that should be it. :orks101:

A galactic war to get a new hat is the most orky and most awesome thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about the DOW 2 campaigns is playing around with the late game super abilities. If there was an option to play through Retribution's early missions with maxed out heroes, I'd get some more fun out of it I think.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Klaus88 posted:

Actually a song that exists in 40k.

In the Gaunt's series no less :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best thing about the DOW 2 campaigns is playing around with the late game super abilities. If there was an option to play through Retribution's early missions with maxed out heroes, I'd get some more fun out of it I think.

Chaos Rising was easily the best for this. Everyone pretty much turns into an anime.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like Sergeant Merrick, the hardest working sergeant in the Imperium, and his late game abilities. He could have an autocannon and there was a % chance that every shot would turn into an artillery strike. Even if that chance was like 10%, that gun shoots often enough that he's leveling the map singlehandedly. I also love that after three games he's still a sergeant and hasn't been promoted.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

SRM posted:

I like Sergeant Merrick, the hardest working sergeant in the Imperium, and his late game abilities. He could have an autocannon and there was a % chance that every shot would turn into an artillery strike. Even if that chance was like 10%, that gun shoots often enough that he's leveling the map singlehandedly. I also love that after three games he's still a sergeant and hasn't been promoted.

He is smart enough to relaize that being an LT just means drawing more fire and extra paper work for less killing of things in the name of the emperor. Besides, have you seen the causality rates for junior commissioned officers in the guard? :staredog: He'll live longer as a humble sergeant.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

Direct from black library yeah, but their eBook pricing is insane

Not so fast, according to my inbox Black Library are releasing a new e-book that's (could be?) free* and its by ADB AND its about the Nightlords :dance:

*Only available on their android app that allows them to pester you to buy things from them daily.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

He is smart enough to relaize that being an LT just means drawing more fire and extra paper work for less killing of things in the name of the emperor. Besides, have you seen the causality rates for junior commissioned officers in the guard? :staredog: He'll live longer as a humble sergeant.

That and the fact that he's probably having plenty of rewards under the Lord General for being such a good sport.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Baka-nin posted:

Not so fast, according to my inbox Black Library are releasing a new e-book that's (could be?) free* and its by ADB AND its about the Nightlords :dance:

*Only available on their android app that allows them to pester you to buy things from them daily.

I look forward to reading it *exclusively* now and then reading it again in an omnibus I've actually paid for a few months down the line

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

Be advised that, to GW, an" e-book" is anything from a single page to a full-length novel.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

berzerkmonkey posted:

Be advised that, to GW, an" e-book" is anything from a single page to a full-length novel.

Now now, a books true measure isn't the width of its spine nor the dimensions of page or size of font, rather its the impact made upon your heart. :barf:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Baka-nin posted:

Now now, a books true measure isn't the width of its spine nor the dimensions of page or size of font, rather its the impact made upon your heart wallet. :barf:

fixed

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Klaus88 posted:

Also relevant is that GW doesn't really bother with rank all that much and you've got Sergeants and "Veteran Sergeants" effectively doing the same job, but somehow being different. Dude could be Colour Regimental Sergeant Major 1st Class and actually have more clout than Captains depending on what the writers felt like declaring was the regimental structure for that unit.

Heck, in the Ghosts books Sergeants were usually leading "squads" that fit the Platoon entry on the army lists until they quietly got promoted to Lieutenant after Gereon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SRM posted:

Come on now, Sergeant Major is a pretty nice title.

In funnier news, the Age of Sigmar release has claimed its first victim.
Man burns 900 dollars worth of plastic in protest.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah, I downloaded the app just for that title. I'm looking forward to it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Come on now, Sergeant Major is a pretty nice title.

In funnier news, the Age of Sigmar release has claimed its first victim.
Man burns 900 dollars worth of plastic in protest.
Like GW would give a poo poo, they already have his money.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, if you don't like the new rules you can always keep playing with the old ones. No one's gonna come to your house and confiscate the old rulebooks. Why are people so stupid and over-reactionary? :doh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Games Workshop fans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

You know, if you don't like the new rules you can always keep playing with the old ones. No one's gonna come to your house and confiscate the old rulebooks. Why are people so stupid and over-reactionary? :doh:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Games Workshop fans.
This for literally as long as I can remember. Every edition, good or bad, has caused the sky to fall.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Annointed posted:

That and the fact that he's probably having plenty of rewards under the Lord General for being such a good sport.

True, there aren't many sergeant majors who have pointed a plasma gun at a lord general with a commissar pointing a pistol at the back of their head at the time who have come out of that situation with a medal. I wouldn't be surprised if he reappears in Dawn of War 3 having been dragooned into an officer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

jng2058 posted:

Because they aren't making things that are compatible with the old rules any more.

That and Age Of Sigmar is full of holes the size of buildings full of infinite wizards.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Because they aren't making things that are compatible with the old rules any more.

That and Age Of Sigmar is full of holes the size of buildings full of infinite wizards.

So what? All the old stuff still exists. You've got decades of miniatures to pick over, now coming from bargain bins and cheap on Ebay! Hell, now's the time to pick up all the stuff you don't have on the cheap as people unload their armies. Buy low and play forever!

What I'm saying is that you don't have to play the new rules just because they're new. You can still use your current armies just fine. There's no good reason to set them on fire. :cripes:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

jng2058 posted:

So what? All the old stuff still exists. You've got decades of miniatures to pick over, now coming from bargain bins and cheap on Ebay! Hell, now's the time to pick up all the stuff you don't have on the cheap as people unload their armies. Buy low and play forever!

What I'm saying is that you don't have to play the new rules just because they're new. You can still use your current armies just fine. There's no good reason to set them on fire. :cripes:

I agree

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
See above: Games Workshop fans. The kind of people who take tournament play so seriously that they will throw out models that don't fit their powergaming army list if the rules update and invalidate them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

See above: Games Workshop fans. The kind of people who take tournament play so seriously that they will throw out models that don't fit their powergaming army list if the rules update and invalidate them.

poo poo, who cares about Tournament play anymore? GW gave up on the Grand Tournaments years ago, and with it their only real control over who uses what models. Warhammer, and 40k alongside it, has always been at its best when played among a group of friends with plenty of laughter, taunting, houserules, and alcoholic beverages (to taste).

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

That being said it is kind of sad seeing this ip not have a dedicated tryhard scene anymore, it was kind of fun seeing just how crafty these people can be when there's money at stake.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Annointed posted:

That being said it is kind of sad seeing this ip not have a dedicated tryhard scene anymore, it was kind of fun seeing just how crafty these people can be when there's money at stake.

I'll grant that I've had some good tournament experiences back in the day, but what made tournaments fun were that they were the exception, not the rule. I'd play for months with my various buddies, hone a list, then play in a tournament and see how our local tactical developments compared to the ones in the wider world. That was fun, sure.

But! Playing ENTIRELY for tournaments? That sucks the life outta the game and turns it into an exercise in frustration and rules exploitation. No thanks!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain the Age of Sigmar situation?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dodoman posted:

Basically the rules are bad, and they have totally not space marines in a fantasy game

Read from here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=447387177#post447387177

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jng2058 posted:

But! Playing ENTIRELY for tournaments? That sucks the life outta the game and turns it into an exercise in frustration and rules exploitation. No thanks!

http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

How else would we get stories like this?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a shortlist of rad Battlefleet Gothic type books?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Dodoman posted:

It also includes bonuses for roleplaying.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

victrix posted:

Is there a shortlist of rad Battlefleet Gothic type books?

Do you mean rule books and game manuals or novels? If it's the latter you've got two Execution Hour and Shadowpoint both by Gordon Rennie. They're both pretty good if you can track them down.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Skarsnik posted:

Basically the rules are bad, and they have totally not space marines in a fantasy game

Read from here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=447387177#post447387177

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

It also includes bonuses for roleplaying.

FOR THE LADY

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You have to love how terrible the game manages to be. It's almost like they designed it to suck.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Dodoman posted:

FOR THE LADY

So which big tournament are you practicing for?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Baka-nin posted:

Do you mean rule books and game manuals or novels? If it's the latter you've got two Execution Hour and Shadowpoint both by Gordon Rennie. They're both pretty good if you can track them down.
The Night Lords books have some really cool naval action in them too. The Exalted is this master captain and in Blood Reaver they pull off some deft naval maneuvers in space. That being said everyone should read those books anyway. They're not naval-centric, but the ship action scenes are still pretty great.

jng2058 posted:

poo poo, who cares about Tournament play anymore? GW gave up on the Grand Tournaments years ago, and with it their only real control over who uses what models. Warhammer, and 40k alongside it, has always been at its best when played among a group of friends with plenty of laughter, taunting, houserules, and alcoholic beverages (to taste).
This is how I feel about it, and if they did it to 40k I'd keep playing 7th edition or whatever with my friends and maybe adapt some fan rules if good sets came out. The only problem with using older rulesets is that it makes people a lot harder to get into the game in the first place, so expanding a gaming group or starting a new one will be very difficult.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SRM posted:

The Night Lords books have some really cool naval action in them too. The Exalted is this master captain and in Blood Reaver they pull off some deft naval maneuvers in space. That being said everyone should read those books anyway. They're not naval-centric, but the ship action scenes are still pretty great.

This is how I feel about it, and if they did it to 40k I'd keep playing 7th edition or whatever with my friends and maybe adapt some fan rules if good sets came out. The only problem with using older rulesets is that it makes people a lot harder to get into the game in the first place, so expanding a gaming group or starting a new one will be very difficult.

The old editions as far back as 3rd are available for pennies on the dollar on Amazon. The 7th edition stuff is pretty much full price, but in the event of a hypothetical 8th edition being as wacky as Age of Sigmar is, one would expect to be able to get 7th edition on the cheap as well. And that's not even including the vast number of :filez: available to the less scrupulous.

It's actually easier to plant your flag and say "okay, we're playing 4th edition 40k" because you can buy all the books you need online for $20 or less, and by restricting yourself only to older miniatures you're able to work Ebay to build your army a lot cheaper than you would be if you wanted all the latest and greatest toys which are hard to get at anything short of full price, and GW's full price these days is insanity.

And hell, if you play 4th edition you can use those fun Doctrines rules that give you more customization options than any edition before or since.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There was a great scene in soul hunter where the covenant of blood came at a ship perpendicular, and buzzed it so close that the gravitational displacement made the opposing vessel's crew vomit.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

So which big tournament are you practicing for?

Staying at home and saving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
ADB just confirmed on Facebook that his Night Lords short will be about Talos and First Claw. Christmas has come early.