Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
"DC Comics announced via USA Today Monday morning eight new miniseries debuting in 2016 that has the goal to "freshen up and contemporize" some classic characters, according to co-publisher Dan DiDio."

Swamp Thing by writer Len Wein
Metal Men by writer Len Wein
Raven by writer Marv Wolfman
Firestorm by writer Gerry Conway
Katana: Cult of the Kobra by writer Mike W. Barr
Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life & Death by writer Amy Chu[/b]
Metamorpho by writer Aaron Lopresti[/b]
Sugar & Spike by writer Keith Giffen

....what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think more minis is a great way for Marvel and DC to go--they make easy trades, they're self-contained, easy to recommend if they're good, they get their own slots in digital app listings...

These would have been perfect to throw some new, exciting talent at instead of the epitome of the old guard.

(and this is coming from someone who thinks that Mike W. Barr should be writing Batman comics until he kicks it)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 6, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Marv Wolfman was already given an attempt at writing Raven in a modern context in the form of a 6-issue miniseries. It ended up being a total laughing stock due to this little doozy.

I think Len Wein's Swamp Thing will be a perfectly competent showcase for the tragically underrated Kelley Jones, much like the Convergence mini already was. In fact with the exception of Metamorpho and Raven, I'm sure all of these will be just fine. But they just don't light a fire under me at all, and with so many DC titles actually feeling like fertile new ground it's so hard to feel anything for these. I'll probably sneak a peek at Metal Men depending on the artist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Semper Fudge posted:

Marv Wolfman was already given an attempt at writing Raven in a modern context in the form of a 6-issue miniseries. It ended up being a total laughing stock due to this little doozy.

I've always wanted to read that, was it that bad?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

It's not totally worthless by nature of having Damion Scott on art duties, but I can't remember a single thing that happened in that book.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Semper Fudge posted:

I think Len Wein's Swamp Thing will be a perfectly competent showcase for the tragically underrated Kelley Jones, much like the Convergence mini already was. In fact with the exception of Metamorpho and Raven, I'm sure all of these will be just fine. But they just don't light a fire under me at all, and with so many DC titles actually feeling like fertile new ground it's so hard to feel anything for these. I'll probably sneak a peek at Metal Men depending on the artist.

Any excuse to have Jones do a horror book is a good excuse in my books.
Speaking of Jones, any word on a second collection of his an Moench's Batman run?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Amy Chu on Poison Ivy sounds like a blast, the rest are all reliable hands who still write good comic books for the post part.

Granted, I'd rather have up-and-coming writers on FRESH NEW TAKES but these are going to be forgettable at worst.

Honestly, the bigger problem is the lack of credited artists on the books.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Genetic Toaster posted:

Honestly, the bigger problem is the lack of credited artists on the books.

Apparently these books aren't until early 2016, which makes me wonder what prompted their announcement in the first place.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bummer this mostly seems more like a second round of Convergence work than DC You.
Honoring the old guys was nice for a bit, but Metal Men could really, REALLY use the other kind.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Semper Fudge posted:

There was a rumour going around that at the time that series came out, it had actually been written by Marv's daughter Jessica, but published with his name.

I haven't found anything online to back this up, so it was probably just a vicious rumour which wasn't true.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So Red Hood/Arsenal 2 was loving awesome

:allears:

Lobdell isn't taking itself seriously and is delivering a story that is simply fun from start to beginning, however, it keeps a balnce between ridiculousness and seriousness that makes the book feel closer in tone to Duggan and Posehn's Deadpool rather than Palmiotti and Conners' Harley Quinn.

The banter between Jason and Roy is delight to read and got my quite a few laughs through the whole issue, their dynamic reminded me a lot of the Winchester Brothers in Supernatural.

Artwise was also a treat for the eyes, Pantalena did a great work although his Roy looks really loving weird.

"Mr Red and Mr Arse" :haw:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I can think is that is a way way way worse homage to the Avengers game than Hawkeye did.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

All I can think is that is a way way way worse homage to the Avengers game than Hawkeye did.

It made me laugh :shrug:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm glad you're happy, Dark_Tzitzimine

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The coloring kinda gets in the way as opposed to his Animal Man stuff, but it's nice that JLU gets Foreman right back to drawing disgusting gory masses.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That RH/A art...does not look good at all. Except for the mask, which is still better than it's drawn a lot. Hmm, I hope this artist doesn't stay long. i can't say I'm a fan of the mime stuff either, but hopefully these probelms will move along soon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In non RH/Whatever news Justice League United came out, and while I am still saddened they dropped the maple leaf from the logo (drat you DC) I am pretty intrigued about the direction and ideas behind the book. It seems like the original JLU members will be recruiting a lot of random characters from all over the DCU to deal with specific missions, and that actually seems like an awesome and unique idea. Kind of like Justice League: Brave and the Bold. This is at least what I read into the book.

Other pick up so far were Gotham Academy where I will admit that I am not a big fan of teen heartthrob/man-bat storyline, but I am enjoying the other mysteries going through the book, and Suicide Squad (yes, I know I know) where the art is once again wonky as poo poo (though not as bad as that one issue where Deadshot had tiny arms) but the storyline is stronger than previous arcs. I like that the villains have something close to characterization now, and the books is slowly improving.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bought Section Eight #2 hoping for some mean-spirited Green Lantern satire, got a load of dick/semen jokes and alcohol-powered buffoonery.

Not sure why I had my hopes up, but I give up on that series and will trade-wait if/when my library picks it up.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Space Fish posted:

Bought Section Eight #2 hoping for some mean-spirited Green Lantern satire, got a load of dick/semen jokes and alcohol-powered buffoonery.

Not sure why I had my hopes up, but I give up on that series and will trade-wait if/when my library picks it up.

So...it's a Garth Ennis book?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea, I'm not really sold on Section 8 either. I haven't read Hitman so I don't know the characters too well so that might be a problem, but honestly it just seems like gross out humour for gross out humours sake.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Madkal posted:

Yea, I'm not really sold on Section 8 either. I haven't read Hitman so I don't know the characters too well so that might be a problem, but honestly it just seems like gross out humour for gross out humours sake.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

He didn't mention heavy-handed sneering at superheroes or anything approaching optimism and hope, so we can't be sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read JLA #2 and Hich's Batman is ridiculous.

"Sure he's healing all the sick and dying innocents, but also the RAPISTS and MURDERERS?! They deserve death!! MY PARENTS!!"

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just read JLA #2 and Hich's Batman is ridiculous.

"Sure he's healing all the sick and dying innocents, but also the RAPISTS and MURDERERS?! They deserve death!! MY PARENTS!!"

Man, the entire dialogue/text of this issue is pretty bad. Very heavy-handed.

Section Eight is cruising on nostalgia factor, because so far it's really been kind of... pointless? I'm still trying to understand why they're revisiting Sixpack, as his character arch was over and done by the end of Hitman.

I continue to not understand most of what's going on in Earth-2: Society. So Apokolips destroyed Earth, they escaped to Earth-2, Terry Sloan crashed the ships and took over as dictator. But for some reason Dick Grayson is paralyzed from the waist down and was already in Earth-2 before the ships arrived?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cyphoderus posted:

I continue to not understand most of what's going on in Earth-2: Society. So Apokolips destroyed Earth, they escaped to Earth-2, Terry Sloan crashed the ships and took over as dictator. But for some reason Dick Grayson is paralyzed from the waist down and was already in Earth-2 before the ships arrived?

Everything about Grayson was explained on Convergence. He was crippled by pre flashpoint Joker and the current E2 was the planet where Convergence took place.

Anyways, Johns will write six one shots connecting with Darkseid War on October

quote:

Batman – Armed with the godlike power of the Mobius Chair, the Dark Knight has taken on the role of Metron and plans to use the infinite knowledge of this device to turn Gotham City into a completely crime-free zone!

Superman – Corrupted by the weird energies of Apokolips’ fire pits, Superman has been turned into an angry, violent brute. And only one man can possibly save him: Lex Luthor.

Green Lantern – Oa has been conquered and transformed into a Parademon factory and the Green Lantern Corps is no more! Only Hal Jordan remains to follow a distress call from the last active Lantern seen fighting on Oa: John Stewart

Lex Luthor – At last, Lex Luthor, the new ruler of Apokolips, can do what he never could accomplish on Earth: hold the fate of a world in his hands. But his one failure from the “Darkseid War” continues to keep him from the peace he craves – and only a crazed Superman can help him get it!

The Flash – The Flash takes on the role of death’s harbinger, the Black Racer. And the beneficiary of his first visit is Aquaman!

Shazam! – Instead of accessing the powers of the old gods, Billy Batson now commands the combined powers of the New Gods like Highfather, Mantis and others trapped within the Source Wall. And that’s power that no mortal should possess!

Not sold on Batman and Superman but the others sound interesting

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gee, the "super hero takes over and it all goes wrong" story again. When are people gonna realize that's like, the best possible solution instead of setting it up just to fail?

Shazam seems really interesting, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Gee, the "super hero takes over and it all goes wrong" story again. When are people gonna realize that's like, the best possible solution instead of setting it up just to fail?

Shazam seems really interesting, though.

Yes when one person has all the power nothing can go wrong.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes when one person has all the power nothing can go wrong.

Not if they're Batman or Superman, no. The writer always has to artifically change the characters to make it work.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Batman & Robin Eternal was just announced at SDCC. 26 issues this time, and a central figure will be on Cassandra Cain.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyways, Johns will write six one shots connecting with Darkseid War on October

No thank you, sir

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Not if they're Batman or Superman, no. The writer always has to artifically change the characters to make it work.

You mean like in Red Son? Having them take complete power is a change to the character.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Monster variants for October

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean like in Red Son? Having them take complete power is a change to the character.

True, they'd never do what they should. That and the no killing are Superman's big flaws. Batman's too, but he has other issues he needs to work on too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

True, they'd never do what they should. That and the no killing are Superman's big flaws. Batman's too, but he has other issues he needs to work on too.

Wait are you saying that Superman should kill and want absolute power?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait are you saying that Superman should kill and want absolute power?

Absolutely. Sure, it'd be bad if he suddenly and for no real reason turned into an unhinged tyrant or went Incorruptible on everyone, but that's not Superman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I hate this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I hate this.
That's not even using the meme right.

Should say:
HAL JORDAN hosed UP?

GOOD

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Absolutely. Sure, it'd be bad if he suddenly and for no real reason turned into an unhinged tyrant or went Incorruptible on everyone, but that's not Superman.

Yeah he is a guy who refuses to kill and thinks that the common man has the streanth to be super, but sometimes needs help. He never forces it but will pick you up when needed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Neither is wanting to kill people or wanting absolute power over the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Neither is wanting to kill people or wanting absolute power over the planet.

Yes, that's the problem.

If he did that and was otherwise the same, it'd work out perfectly.

• Locked thread