Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My two are big fans of Ziwipeak canned food - 3 years and no troubles. Haven't heard any scare stories about it either if that helps.

Edit: re expense that probably makes sense. Ziwipeak and Wellness Core are the same price here, about $3.30 a tin.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Beardless Woman posted:

I'm fed up with Wellness canned cat food. Their quality control is just not there. A lot of the time, the cans are a nice firm-ish pate. Other times it's a sloppy, smelly mess. When it's sloppy and smelly, one of my cats refuses to touch it while the other one eats a little then goes off to throw up in hard-to-reach places.

It looks like whatever is wrong with their production is affecting at least two chicken-based flavors that I've tried: Chicken and Chicken & Herring.

I've called Wellness and they've assured me that the food is perfectly safe to eat, but I'm skeptical and have thrown all the bad stuff out. They don't have any way to order specific batches, unfortunately.

Normally, I've been able to just go to another store to pick up a different batch or flavor... but all that's in the area right now are the bad batches. And I've got 3 cans left and a super picky cat who refuses to eat anything but the good cans of Wellness (she'll run away and not eat all night if there's a speck of different food mixed in with her food or if our other cats are eating something different nearby).

For anyone curious, the batches I've identified as bad are:
Chicken - best by Nov 05 2017 7WCCS1
Chicken & Herring - best by Aug 24 2017 7WCHS1

Always be sure to shake your Wellness cans before buying them. If they slosh, they're no good.

I've noticed the same exact thing :( anyone have a good alternative at a similar price point? I saw the ziwipeak recommendation but that seems almost twice as expensive

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
I've had a Bernese Mountain Dog for almost 4 years now. He's eaten Taste of the Wild his entire life, loves it, eats it like candy. Occasionally I'll get a bag that appears to have some sort of grainy looking poo poo all over the kibble and he will not be as eager to eat it and occasionally throws up. In the past I've just tossed the bag and bought a new one, everything is fine. Over the last couple months every bag of food has been this way, he has refused to eat it at times. The last bag had him throwing up after almost every meal, so I quit feeding him Taste of the Wild immediately and took him in for a vet checkup. Vet said he was fine, but changing food would be a good idea (and immediately tried to hit me up with Science Diet).

I switched to Orijen since it seems to be even more high quality than Taste of the Wild was. The $110-120 a bag is a bit much though. Now my dog's breath is horrible and he has significant "dog stink" going on, even after a bath, which he has never had before. I'm considering switching him again to Nature's Variety, since I give him treats from them and occasionally cans and never had problems from either.

Can anyone recommend anything else? High quality food, not insanely expensive, good quality control? Orijen seems to be very good and he absolutely loves it, even more than when the Taste of the Wild was still good. The price and the fact that his smell has changed so drastically have me wanting to look for a better alternative though.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Beardless Woman posted:

I'm fed up with Wellness canned cat food. Their quality control is just not there. A lot of the time, the cans are a nice firm-ish pate. Other times it's a sloppy, smelly mess. When it's sloppy and smelly, one of my cats refuses to touch it while the other one eats a little then goes off to throw up in hard-to-reach places.

It looks like whatever is wrong with their production is affecting at least two chicken-based flavors that I've tried: Chicken and Chicken & Herring.

I've called Wellness and they've assured me that the food is perfectly safe to eat, but I'm skeptical and have thrown all the bad stuff out. They don't have any way to order specific batches, unfortunately.

Normally, I've been able to just go to another store to pick up a different batch or flavor... but all that's in the area right now are the bad batches. And I've got 3 cans left and a super picky cat who refuses to eat anything but the good cans of Wellness (she'll run away and not eat all night if there's a speck of different food mixed in with her food or if our other cats are eating something different nearby).

For anyone curious, the batches I've identified as bad are:
Chicken - best by Nov 05 2017 7WCCS1
Chicken & Herring - best by Aug 24 2017 7WCHS1

Always be sure to shake your Wellness cans before buying them. If they slosh, they're no good.

I stopped using Wellness for the EXACT same reason, and I've had that happen across all the flavors. It was the last push that got me off, as when I started buying them the price was 189 a can, and it's now 275 a can and raising all the time. Innova which seems pretty decent is 189 and I never had a problem with it.

EDIT: For 12OZ cans for clarification.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Conquest7706 posted:

I've had a Bernese Mountain Dog for almost 4 years now. He's eaten Taste of the Wild his entire life, loves it, eats it like candy. Occasionally I'll get a bag that appears to have some sort of grainy looking poo poo all over the kibble and he will not be as eager to eat it and occasionally throws up. In the past I've just tossed the bag and bought a new one, everything is fine. Over the last couple months every bag of food has been this way, he has refused to eat it at times. The last bag had him throwing up after almost every meal, so I quit feeding him Taste of the Wild immediately and took him in for a vet checkup. Vet said he was fine, but changing food would be a good idea (and immediately tried to hit me up with Science Diet).

I switched to Orijen since it seems to be even more high quality than Taste of the Wild was. The $110-120 a bag is a bit much though. Now my dog's breath is horrible and he has significant "dog stink" going on, even after a bath, which he has never had before. I'm considering switching him again to Nature's Variety, since I give him treats from them and occasionally cans and never had problems from either.

Can anyone recommend anything else? High quality food, not insanely expensive, good quality control? Orijen seems to be very good and he absolutely loves it, even more than when the Taste of the Wild was still good. The price and the fact that his smell has changed so drastically have me wanting to look for a better alternative though.

Acana is made by the same company as Orijen but is cheaper and has a lower protein %. You also might wanna just switch varieties, I know the 6 fish formula makes my dog's breath loving reek. BTW both are much cheaper through Petflow ($77 rather than $100+)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dogs have been on Wellness dry dog food for a while and I haven't noticed any inconsistencies or weirdness with it and it's not horribly expensive.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My dog is on Go! biscuits and he seems to like them just fine and we've had no quality issues. Looks like it's about $70 on that petflow website.

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

I've just bought a bag of taste of the wild from Amazon after having tried a cheaper brand that has caused our beagle to lose weight while pooping about twice as much, will report if I have any issues.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
So I've been researching a bunch of dog food brands for a Corgi I will get at 14 weeks old in late June. I've read through the OP and about what to look for and what not to look for. I've also read through most of the last few pages.

I'm wondering what this thread thinks about Taste of the Wild. It appears to have good nutritional value and costs a third less than the other good brands on Amazon. I saw that Diamond, the manufacturer, has had a history of multiple recalls due to salmonella over the past few years. I'd rather pay more for a similar brand if it is more safe, but if TOTW is now considered equally safe it is surely a bunch cheaper.

What do you all think?

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

da anime bulldog posted:

So I've been researching a bunch of dog food brands for a Corgi I will get at 14 weeks old in late June. I've read through the OP and about what to look for and what not to look for. I've also read through most of the last few pages.

I'm wondering what this thread thinks about Taste of the Wild. It appears to have good nutritional value and costs a third less than the other good brands on Amazon. I saw that Diamond, the manufacturer, has had a history of multiple recalls due to salmonella over the past few years. I'd rather pay more for a similar brand if it is more safe, but if TOTW is now considered equally safe it is surely a bunch cheaper.

What do you all think?

As per my post above I've been using taste of the wild for ages and never had a problem, we switched to a cheaper brand for a bit but the difference is so noticible that we're going back to TOTW. I remember checking if the bags I bought had been recalled but never got unlucky. My beagle adores it and you definitely use less than cheaper brands.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Iams is on the acceptable dog food list, and is reasonably cost effective @ Sams club. $50 for 45Lbs vs $50 for 25-30lbs of Merrick.

Do the same standards apply to dog food as in the cat food? (I have 2 cats and they get merrick before grain/bistro selects)IE: the higher the quality of the food the smaller the serving size becomes so that both bags would roughly last the same time for a single dog?

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:

Rorobb posted:

I've noticed the same exact thing :( anyone have a good alternative at a similar price point? I saw the ziwipeak recommendation but that seems almost twice as expensive

i recently switched from Wellness as well, my siamese who has eaten nothing but that for 3 years just stopped eating it altogether about a month ago. after trying a couple others i picked up a couple different flavours of Holistic Select. it's actually produced by the same company as Wellness, but she loves it; i didn't even have to transition her to the new food because she won't even touch Wellness now. perhaps because it's the same company but different brands? i'm not sure. but the 13 oz. cans are comparable price-wise, and so far so good.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I recently switched my cats dry food over to Canidae. This brand is listed as premium in the dog food part of the thread but missing completely from the cat food area.

My problem is my cats aren't eating it very much. I have two cats, both in fine health. They were on friskies before. I switched it over on Saturday and since them I've only had to refill the bowl once. On the previous food they ate the entire bowl each day between the two of them. My bigger cat (Maine Coon) frequently meows and tries to get me to follow him to his food bowl. I know he's trying to tell me what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Anyhow, should I relent and mix in some low quality crap they love the taste of? Should I start mixing wet and dry together? If they take to either of those solutions should I always do it like that or could I eventually taper off?

I also bought Canidae for my dog but we're still getting rid of his old stuff and havent given it to him yet. I guess I should probably expect resistance from him as well?

Why do the animals hate the food that's good for them?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Animals are stupid. I think some primo foods have less filler, so your cats aren't going to need as much of it.

You can mix in some garbage in and taper it off, but if they have been eating the food for a few days already I don't think it's needed.

Monitor their weight and if it's dropping lower than you want then maybe they just hate you and would rather starve than eat.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

notlodar posted:

Monitor their weight and if it's dropping lower than you want then maybe they just hate you and would rather starve than eat.

This is what I suspect. The ability for cats to be spiteful hate machines far outweighs their desire to live. But I'll definitely keep an eye on their weight in the meantime.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I have a rescue that I picked up in March and I'm changing her diet soon. I live with a roommate who feeds his dog Purina Complete Dog Chow and I decided to have her on the same diet for ease of feeding time.

Fast forward to now. I'm moving away from him and, after doing some overdue research, have decided that this food is garbage. That's what I get for taking someone's word for it. On top of that, we're approaching Arizona summer and her skin is starting to dry out. I'm glad I discovered this now having only been on this food a couple months.

She's a 44 lb, 1.5 year-old shepherd mix who is obviously active. I did read the op but I thought I'd reach for some specific goon recommendations before I just picking up something from the list of good foods.

I don't mind adding 20 bucks or so to my dog food budget, especially cause she won't be sharing a bag with a 100 lb dog anymore.

Edit: I'm leaning towards Blue Buffalo. 45$ for a 30 pound bag doesn't seem too bad.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 26, 2015

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

So what canned cat foods aren't made of garbage nowadays?

Here is the OP list and my cats reviews

Blue Buffalo - dipped in quality recently, sometimes finish the bowls.
By Nature (95% Meat formulas) - never tried
California Naturals - never tried
Chicken Soup - bowls attacked with gusto
Innova - won't touch this
Innova EVO - won't touch this
Merrick - never tried
Nature's Variety Instinct - never tried
Solid Gold - hard to find at pet supplies plus, it was somewhat accepted
Tiki Cat - either love it or hate it, even within the same flavor/batch
Wellness - used to be my go to safe choice, now they rarely eat more than a third.

Is Chicken Soup still on the "not poison" list?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Majority of wet foods are fine so long as they're aafco labeled. There have been quite a few posts about quality issues with wellness recently, so that might explain things for you.

Chicken soup is good though yeah.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So my dog just randomly decides to get the runs it seems like. Was having good luck with Blue Buffalo Wilderness but then I heard bad things about their suppliers and them getting sued. So then I went to Taste of the Wild which seemed OK but they had lesser ratings on dogfoodadvisor (which I dont even know if I should listen to them) then I went to Iams whatever pumpkin and salmon and she's been fine. I think I'm going to stick with the Iams for now and see how she does on it. Would be nice to save the $50 a month on food and use that towards all the rawhides she can eat through in a month.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dogfoodadvisor is run by a human dentist who just has the feels

Some of it is good, some is stupid, some is bad. Weeding it out requires some knowledge of veterinary nutrition.

Basically, just do whatever Crooked Booty says.

Beardless Woman
May 5, 2004

M for Mysterious

madpanda posted:

After my debacle with Wellness, I decided that any new cat food is going to be garbage free, and it's been a giant pain trying to find some. This is going to sound like one of those "overhead at whole foods" things but all I'm looking for is a canned cat food without grains or rice, vegetables or other starchy fillers, carrageenan or guar gum, and made in the US.

Tiki almost fits my requirements but I just don't feel comfortable feeding my cats food made in country that's currently being run by its military after a recent coup d'état.

So far I've only found found Halo Impulse that fits my requirements. But it only comes in one "normal" protein (chicken), is a bit pricier than others, and only one of my cats seems to want to eat it.

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Right, a plan; let me put on my slightly larger glasses.

madpanda posted:

Here is the OP list and my cats reviews

By Nature (95% Meat formulas) - never tried

By Nature recently (like March or April) reformulated their entire canned food line (and re-designed their logo); I haven't bought it since the reformulation, but my trusted local pet supply store stopped carrying it for that reason... so I'll defer to their judgment.

E:

Good stuff looked like this:

New stuff that may or may not be good, IDK, looks like this:

Rev4n fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 2, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I've had very good luck with the high protein Innova, and my pet store recently reduced the prive making it almost half as much as Wellness which is wierd as it seems to contain much more of the poo poo that I would believe would be more expensive.

Is Wellness just incredibly overpriced?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I've had issues with innova since they were bought out by purina or nestle or whatever. The food used to hard chunks of what definitely was protein and meat, but now the consistency and color is the same as like, cheap meow mix, and it falls apart so easily and has all this gross dust. I had a bag of the old stuff so I opened it up and compared it to the new stuff and the difference is very apparent. Even with smell is different. Old innova smells like meat, this one smells like corn and.. Ash?. I feel like they may be lying about their ingredients at this point.

I need to look at other options.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 3, 2015

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Do you all ever debate the merits of grain-free food for dogs? Cats are pretty straightforward, but I've heard mixed things on grain-free.

Basically, some grain-free foods are like 36-38% protein and a self-proclaimed animal nutritionist who worked at Unleashed told me that grains like rice, barley, etc... (no wheat, corn, soy sort of thing) were actually good for dogs. Further, too much protein could lead to some condition I forgot the name of which was basically kidney failure.

I have a 57lb coonhound mix that gets a 30-45 minute hike/hunt for chipmunks every day plus some yard play at night. I may be switching to a traveling gig though so that could stop in the next month or so. I'm wondering if high protein diets are 1)okay in general and 2) okay even if my dogs exercise time may get cut significantly.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Digging up the Blue Buffalo topic from a page ago, we've been thinking of switching off of them for a lot of the reasons listed. Saw some brand at petsmart last night called "Simply Nourish". I guess it's owned by and exclusive to petsmart. The deets:

How does this look? It's hard to find much about it online as it seems pretty new. Also I seem to be reading mixed things about the "rice flour" bit. Opinions?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It has a bit of a high carb count for a cat (calculated at ~38% dry matter). I prefer below mid-20s for cats.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
New kitten owner here. I'm feeding her nothing but Wellness and Blue Buffalo canned food at the moment, rotating from day to day to get her used to eating different things. I heard that it might be okay to feed her some dry food, but I'm wondering if I'd be reducing her general quality of life at all if I did that. I read about problems with dry food and the benefits of good food, but no real breakdown of what happens if you give cats a mix.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

demota posted:

New kitten owner here. I'm feeding her nothing but Wellness and Blue Buffalo canned food at the moment, rotating from day to day to get her used to eating different things. I heard that it might be okay to feed her some dry food, but I'm wondering if I'd be reducing her general quality of life at all if I did that. I read about problems with dry food and the benefits of good food, but no real breakdown of what happens if you give cats a mix.

Nothing bad happens, and if you ever need to feed dry in the future at least cat can recognize it is food.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Just to toss in my $0.02, I've been feeding Merrick to both the cats and the dog, and both are quite happy and have kick rear end coats.

Dog:
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/dogs/classic

Cats:
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/cats/purrfect-bistro-grain-free

Absolut Fabulous
Dec 12, 2006

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford clinic.
Does anyone have any suggestions for high-quality, grain-free cat food that is still relatively low calorie? I've been feeding Solid Gold Indigo Moon to my cats for a few years and they've been slowly putting on weight (1-1.5 lbs./yr.) since then. I've switched from free-feeding to 2x meals per day, but this does not seem to have corrected the problem. Currently, I'm looking at Nature's Variety Instinct Healthy Weight, Wellness CORE Indoor Formula, and Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Indoor; don't know if any of these have any real advantage over the others or if there are better ways of maintaining a healthier weight.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Absolut Fabulous posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for high-quality, grain-free cat food that is still relatively low calorie? I've been feeding Solid Gold Indigo Moon to my cats for a few years and they've been slowly putting on weight (1-1.5 lbs./yr.) since then. I've switched from free-feeding to 2x meals per day, but this does not seem to have corrected the problem. Currently, I'm looking at Nature's Variety Instinct Healthy Weight, Wellness CORE Indoor Formula, and Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Indoor; don't know if any of these have any real advantage over the others or if there are better ways of maintaining a healthier weight.

Feed them less. They will beg you for poo poo and steal poo poo.

But it boils down to feed them less.

The only way you get less calories is by adding :supaburn: FILLERS :supaburn: and that by most people's definitions will not fit into the "high quality grain free" cat food because meat doesn't have fiber.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Figured I'd cross-post this from the Cat FAQ/Megathread:

I just got back from the feed store with a bag of Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Meal Formula kibble, which I was excited to see on the shelves (Nature's Variety Instinct is listed as one of the top dry foods over in the Pet Nutrition Thread in this thread). However, now that I've got it home, I notice that they apparently coat some of the pieces in freeze-dried raw food, which I'm taking to mean there's a dusting of raw chicken on some of this stuff...

So: Does anyone have any opinions about this? I don't really want my home covered in salmonella. I'm kinda terrified to mix the kibble in with water like I was doing with Blue Bison Wilderness (it's a serving suggestion on that kibble's package, and it made me feel better concerning my cats' hydration, so I wish I could still do it :( ), but I'm also just leery about this whole freeze-dried chicken dust thing in general. :tinfoil:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Alehkhs posted:

but I'm also just leery about this whole freeze-dried chicken dust thing in general. :tinfoil:

Freeze-drying has rendered the chicken inhospitable to most common bacterial or viral life. Rehydrating it and having your pet consume it within the next few hours is not likely to make it a vector for disease.

Quit being a pussy about chicken and give chicken to your pussy.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Does royal Canine urinary s/o make their wet food in chuncks or shreds? My cat with urinary problems despises pattes and wont touch it. He eats the dry food though but I want to get him switched to mostly wet food.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Does royal Canine urinary s/o make their wet food in chuncks or shreds? My cat with urinary problems despises pattes and wont touch it. He eats the dry food though but I want to get him switched to mostly wet food.

There's a form of it in chunks with gravy but it comes in tiny cans.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you the tiny cans won't bother me, He has a vet appointment in like a week so I will ask if they can get them and have them ready for me! Thank you!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My dog has decided to be fussy about food and has started moping and sighing melodramatically when he gets his normal kibble. He does eventually eat it but it's over the course of several hours.

He's a 10 month old Shetland Sheepdog and on Go! Daily Defence at the moment which is an all life stages food. I was going to swap him over to Go! Fit & Free (adult) at the year old mark - am I going to stunt his growth if I start swapping him over now or should I really just tell him to suck it up and deal with his current food for two more months.

E: actually he's really big for a sheltie already and at 10 months maybe he's kind of hit his growth peak and is starting to taper off his food consumption since he's not burning it all on growing as big as a freakin' walrus. I'd always wondered how I was going to go from puppy consumption levels and half that to the adult levels but maybe he's doing that naturally.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 13, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Didn't see this in the list of good dog food, but I've been feeding it to mine for about 3 years now, and our vet likes it.

It's called Evolve, and generally runs $18 for a 15lb bag. For a GSD and a Border Collie, 15lbs lasts about 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
nm

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 14, 2015