Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sniep posted:

we actually espouse loudly from all rooftops to not buy things with radios in them from china

because they suck heartily

small parts and poo poo tho go hog wild

the baofeng works while my kenwood mobile keeps losing its memory even though i put a new backup battery

i'm probably too addicted to reading something awful on the shitter at work to give up my smartphone anyway :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big thing is that they have next to no spectral filtering and they poo poo rf all over the band

Though i'll sympathize with you on backup memory troubles. i had to solder a button cell into that alinco i picked up a while back.

dont even make me think about the kenwood tr-7800 that requires four nicads to live in the radio at all times if you want the memories to stay backed up for UP TO TEN DAYS!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i'm moving to albuquerque soon and when i get there i'll probably buy an old pickup before long, and then i'll just wire the kenwood directly to the battery (well, directly via a fuse) so it'll always get that sweet trickle of juice that keeps the memory alive even when the radio is turned off.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
just buy an antique nokia or something and put your sim card in it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can roll with a gsm startac on t-mo for the classiest telephoning experience in 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

big thing is that they have next to no spectral filtering and they poo poo rf all over the band

Though i'll sympathize with you on backup memory troubles. i had to solder a button cell into that alinco i picked up a while back.

dont even make me think about the kenwood tr-7800 that requires four nicads to live in the radio at all times if you want the memories to stay backed up for UP TO TEN DAYS!

idea: put a supercap

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

idea: put a supercap

the battery backup scheme in this radio is literally "battery power the cpu." its just diode-ORed Vcc from the battery and actual DC in. srs has like 5 mA draw or something stupid

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
more like kenwoodnt

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

kentwood

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
55 minutes is all it took to assemble this pile at the hamfest

Old rear end wheatstone bridge, 2 2meter rigs (plus a parts spare), cw keyer, Bencher paddle, really nice roller inductor, Heathkit SWR meter and an antenna tuner.

total outlay ~145 and the paddle was 65 of that

e:

yeah those switches feel exactly as good as you imagine they do.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 11, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah those switches feel exactly as good as you imagine they do.

sproiingggg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the torimeter

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

the torimeter

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
"I don't need any new radios"
*buys 3 radios*

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those are going to baofeng kids on the simplex net because i'm sick of their piece of crap HT's

jello that tuner's getting rebuilt and if i can get it solid, you get the tuner and swr meter

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lmao

e: no tone board looks like? but for simplex wgaf

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
u own so much jonny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ic-28 has tone encode yeah but you hit a button and select 1 through 37 which corresponds to a chart of pl tones

fortunately it uses the same encoder IC as my 271a and i have the important tones memorized lol
the good one powers up too they had a cig plug on it

no clue on the kenwood, but it was ten bucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kenwood works. solid as a brick. has a heatsink the size of a paperback and a fan too. 65 watts high about 5 on low

icom works. tone encoder is good. 55 watts high 7 on low. both sound wonderful on receive. hafta get sniep on for a compare and contrast later on

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
shotgun on the kenwood ... i call it, i need a strong duty radio for packet/simplex and that is perfect (i dont need tone for what role i need it for)

imho shine up that icom and give it to someone ITC who is suffering the b/o funk and doesnt know it lol, gently caress the zombie net ppl

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My ham radio career:

1. buy cheap baofeng b/c why not it's cheap and it "works"
2. hmm maybe i should get licensed so i can actually use it legally
3. have license and realize it's a piece of garbage and want a decent radio

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

My ham radio career:

1. buy cheap baofeng b/c why not it's cheap and it "works"
2. hmm maybe i should get licensed so i can actually use it legally
3. have license and realize it's a piece of garbage and want a decent radio

and this is why I can never truly be honest as I talk poo poo on baofeng bc this is what its value is

if it gets new people into the hobby, then it's worthwhile as a brand

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

and this is why I can never truly be honest as I talk poo poo on baofeng bc this is what its value is

if it gets new people into the hobby, then it's worthwhile as a brand

yes, also RTL-SDR

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

yes, also RTL-SDR

you can do way mor ecool poo poo w/ one of these than a baofeng imo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
short of buying a uniden scanner how else are you gonna decode p25 on 800 mhz trunked system? or do mototrbo decoding on 2m? therse lots of other stuff u can do too

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

you can do way mor ecool poo poo w/ one of these than a baofeng imo

yeah for real

post ur HT layout:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ur making me want a real ht. 95% of the time I'm not in town I won't be in my suburban w/ my yaesu mobile. also all I've got for 440 is my baofeng. I'm flying to Dallas this coming weekend for my grandmas 80th bday and I wanna work the repeater on top of the green building downtown. I've got no idea how to manually program it and I don't want to learn. so I'll program it with chirp before we leave. hopefully my POS baofeng does the trick. I should scope dfw Craigslist even tho I won't have time to drive to buy radio stuff, it's a last minute overnight trip

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

jonny290, in your time working at motorola, did you become aware at any point of a cloned copy of hitler's brain, kept in a jar and used to design the programming systems for their syntor x and spectra radios

because jesus christ

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
if you live in a dense area with kids and poo poo around, 462.5625 mhz is a loving trip and a half to just monitor on

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

yeah for real

post ur HT layout:

you guise I really love my F6A. I've had it for years and I've replaced the case on it etc. When I was a kid I wanted a TH-78a and that thing was a brick.

with tri-band antenna everybody's got:

I've also got a shorty for when I don't need the range or don't want to get poked in the side wearing it on my belt

swoon

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah i hear a lot of people swear by those kenwood F6 HTs... know a bunch of people who have 'em

i cant say i've ever touched the 220 band tho before, is there any activity there?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

yeah i hear a lot of people swear by those kenwood F6 HTs... know a bunch of people who have 'em

i cant say i've ever touched the 220 band tho before, is there any activity there?

we have a couple repeaters here in the Minneapolis area but not a ton of activity.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

Broadcast and communications center[edit]
The top two floors function as a broadcast communications tower using the building itself as a broadcast tower structure. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and The CW operate television transmission facilities on the 72nd floor and 74th level roof as well as most federal law enforcement agencies. All point-to-point microwave and fixed-service antennas are concealed within a specifically designed glass communications parapet on the top floor. The base of the 73rd floor parapet opens to the 72nd floor data and communications center below allowing for easy and safe access during installation and servicing of wireless devices. It also protects the hardware from weather. The building operates a sophisticated in-building distributed antenna system as well as a shared tenant data center. Telecommunication Properties, Inc. designed this facility in 1985.

Amateur radio operators also install repeater systems on this building.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have a baofeng and i can't pick up poo poo. it *might* be where i live if i'm blocked by apartments or something, but idk. it's a bit disheartening, honestly.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
can you pick up like.. NOAA weather radio?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i need to take it outside and see if i can get anything. i have a feeling i'm just in a weird spot

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
20m seems kinda dead this morning. is that cause it's Monday at 9am? I have yet to make a fukken qso and I'm starting to get discouraged.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ease, ease

you'll get it

and yeah 20's quiet this morning. it *can* be a 24/7 band but not always. afternoons it should be blowing up through at least 10, 11 PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im on 2-11 shift this week so i guess ill give the dial another spin later. picked up KP2NP out of long island but a bunch of stations are on him and im currently ripping the little mermaid for this flight to dallas anyway

• Locked thread