Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mitsuo posted:

Cloud havens will spawn a new wave before all the battleships are dead.

But is that triggered by a single unit, or just by the number of ships you've killed hitting a certain threshold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Q_nZNZkp4

Join now. :yosbutt: :yosbutt: :yosbutt:

high six
Feb 6, 2010
After years of playing MMOs like WoW and Guild Wars, I've decided to finally give the Eve trial a shot. Is there anything you guys would suggest doing/knowing right off the bat that will exponentially make playing this game more rewarding, whether it be with fun or money?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ChickenWing posted:

But is that triggered by a single unit, or just by the number of ships you've killed hitting a certain threshold?

I actually haven't been able to figure out how or when it happens because I try to avoid cloud havens, but it has happened to me in waves where I have killed the frigates or destroyers first and triggered the following wave. I wound up with quite a few mortifers at one point. However it also might have been a double spawn bug (which I have gotten a few times in FHubs).

Still wondering why Gurista's DED sites seem to pay so much lower than I recall the Serpentis sites in Syndicate.

high six posted:

After years of playing MMOs like WoW and Guild Wars, I've decided to finally give the Eve trial a shot. Is there anything you guys would suggest doing/knowing right off the bat that will exponentially make playing this game more rewarding, whether it be with fun or money?

Read the OP

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Read the OP

I did, it's a fine overview but I'm asking about things that might be easily missed by scrubs that you maybe wouldn't find out until later in the game, or until making a second character.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

high six posted:

Play Metal Gear instead

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

high six posted:

I did, it's a fine overview but I'm asking about things that might be easily missed by scrubs that you maybe wouldn't find out until later in the game, or until making a second character.

The complexity of Eve makes answering your question into a novel length response. The best thing to do is join goons or some other established group that will guide you along the way and have a safety net ready when you gently caress up and lose all your poo poo to a suicide gank in Jita. The irony being that goons will probably be the ones blowing your poo poo up in Jita.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

high six posted:

If you get into goons, read every wiki article no matter outdated it is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bilirubin posted:

I actually haven't been able to figure out how or when it happens because I try to avoid cloud havens, but it has happened to me in waves where I have killed the frigates or destroyers first and triggered the following wave. I wound up with quite a few mortifers at one point. However it also might have been a double spawn bug (which I have gotten a few times in FHubs).

Still wondering why Gurista's DED sites seem to pay so much lower than I recall the Serpentis sites in Syndicate.

It's a specific unit of a specific class of ship. Typically Cruisers/Battlecruisers though with a Frigate and a Battleship trigger thrown in. Gate Havens are trigger based too but they're almost always 'last ship is destroyed' ones (with a sneaky battlecruiser trigger in the big wave of them.)

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
When you start playing eve, think about why you even want to, and then research that part of the game. Like previously stated, there is a ton of stuff to do in this game, so if you have a general idea of what you want to do let people know and they can help you through doing that particular thing.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

high six posted:

Uninstall it immediately.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

blablablabla posted:

If you get into goons, read every wiki article no matter outdated it is.

I won't empty quote but let me reinforce this. The GF wiki is a great resource for everything except for fits most of the time unless they're doctrine ships. Just get lost in the wiki for a while. The eveuni wiki is also decent for anything you cant find on ours.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Eve uni also has some wonderful audio lectures, some by efamous evepeople, that you can listen to anytime

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Hexel posted:

This fleet https://twitter.com/PLIRC/status/619238039361994757 was seen moving across the south yesterday towards Querious which caused panic in the ranks of DARKNESS. and many Jump Freighters were seen jumping out to lowsec.

To top it all off, Nulli Secunda just moved to Delve after being chased from Feythabolis in the south, all the way to Etherium Reach by PL. Nulli Secunda is an ex/current ally of DARKNESS./Ncdot, etc.

So thats whats going on in Delve right now :sun:

Lol. It's gonna make me really happy if PL evicts Darkness because Sort Dragon was such a shitlord about the wormhole stuff. "Fine, if we can't bring 100 T3 cruisers via wormhole to third party, we'll just bring 100 titans via gate to hellcamp your region"

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:shibe:

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Xolve posted:

It's the big yellow chevrons on the lower left hand of the screen with the mouseover tooltip that says 'make sure you have no plans for the next 8 hours', or at least I think it does, that might just be my bitterness though.

I don't understand this docking thing you're talking about.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

DiggityDoink posted:

I won't empty quote but let me reinforce this. The GF wiki is a great resource for everything except for fits most of the time unless they're doctrine ships. Just get lost in the wiki for a while. The eveuni wiki is also decent for anything you cant find on ours.

I usually use the EVE UNI wiki for fits, it has some nice basic yet working fits for ships. But Goon Wiki is awesome for other stuff, and it is updated, on most articles atleast.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

high six posted:

What everyone else has said, but for me, nothing beats getting into a good group (goons or groons), getting on comms, and asking your stupid questions. And its always funny when you, a rank newbie, can tell a bittervet about some aspect of the game (say interface options) they have never known of in like 7 years.

Never play this game alone.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Never play this game

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Bilirubin posted:

What everyone else has said, but for me, nothing beats getting into a good group (goons or groons), getting on comms, and asking your stupid questions. And its always funny when you, a rank newbie, can tell a bittervet about some aspect of the game (say interface options) they have never known of in like 7 years.

Never play this game alone.

Always put a point on DRBR in fleets and get showered in isk.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

CashEnsign posted:

Always put a point on DRBR in fleets and get showered in isk.

I always knew dbrb was dyslexic

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Ice Fist posted:

I always knew dbrb was dyslexic

And I'm righting that wrong :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Attention ChickenWing: https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/Lilith5

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ganking+ in Jita is so much^ fun* :feelsgood:

+ Black Legion
^ PushX
* This was the Fountain Core Freighter that self destructed in perimeter and produced no killmail.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Ganking+ in Jita is so much^ fun* :feelsgood:

+ Black Legion
^ PushX
* This was the Fountain Core Freighter that self destructed in perimeter and produced no killmail.

This is truly gods work

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

NyxBiker posted:

I usually use the EVE UNI wiki for fits, it has some nice basic yet working fits for ships. But Goon Wiki is awesome for other stuff, and it is updated, on most articles atleast.

Maybe they've cleaned it up but the eve uni wiki used to be awful for ship fits. A lot of the fits on there tended to suffer from "trying to do everything" syndrome.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

vyst posted:

You guys should watch the mittani.com on twitch tomorrow night. I will be playing ~EVE Online~ for the first time in like 4 years.

GJ being conned into putting up with space bureaucracy for pats on the head.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

:getout:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

GJ being conned into putting up with space bureaucracy for pats on the head.

Lol

I'll take decades of space bureaucracy over one day in the sad existence you call your life.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's weird, I never really got the hate for him because I kinda liked Lilith5, he ran semi-regular gate camps in a time when Topgoon was about as active as a drunken sloth. Apart from some drama over a Rupture fleet and forum rep (lol) he wasn't even particularly weird.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

vyst posted:

Lol

I'll take decades of space bureaucracy over one day in the sad existence you call your life.
drat
Thats a cold rear end honkey

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
ProGodLegend has left Nulli Secunda. Here is a copypaste of his announcement on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/3cuugk/progod_has_left_the_building/

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

It's weird, I never really got the hate for him because I kinda liked Lilith5, he ran semi-regular gate camps in a time when Topgoon was about as active as a drunken sloth. Apart from some drama over a Rupture fleet and forum rep (lol) he wasn't even particularly weird.

I used to run rupture fleets with Securitas as we herded newbros around upper Providence. One time we tried to get Dozer to come, but he got his rear end blown up in Amarr because he couldn't figure out how to avoid the faction popo AMA

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
gently caress you boney you broke jita

at least pull to the furthest station next time before you stop ganking, sheesh

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 11, 2015

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

gently caress you boney you broke jita

at least pull to the furthest station next time before you stop ganking, sheesh

Sorry man. Gaara's Sniper showed up and towards the end we were making TiDi.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Sorry man. Gaara's Sniper showed up and towards the end we were making TiDi.

it''s irreparably broken, please come and fix it

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Felony posted:

That would be me. So how many of these fleet warps that were coincidentally in my direction were meant to kill me?
None. Our FC just likes to warp around a lot. He's elite like that.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Kesper North posted:

ProGodLegend has left Nulli Secunda. Here is a copypaste of his announcement on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/3cuugk/progod_has_left_the_building/

:rip: Nulli Secunda.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
I got bored in nullsec and went back to my cal mill stomping grounds, attacking Gallente and sparing Caldari. Was Having a good fight with a jackdaw but he managed to squeak away from me. Then another one showed up and I tried to fight that one....then a whole fleet showed up and I burnt the gently caress off.

Turns out it was hole squid and I didnt realize it was hole squad. Sorry about that I thought you were reinforcements for that dude I was fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

MaxPowers posted:

I got bored in nullsec and went back to my cal mill stomping grounds, attacking Gallente and sparing Caldari. Was Having a good fight with a jackdaw but he managed to squeak away from me. Then another one showed up and I tried to fight that one....then a whole fleet showed up and I burnt the gently caress off.

Turns out it was hole squid and I didnt realize it was hole squad. Sorry about that I thought you were reinforcements for that dude I was fighting.

Still haven't left FIGL yet eh Madcows?

• Locked thread